Destiny (PS4) Drama - 11 Year Old Gets Trolled.

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Destiny (PS4) Drama - 11 year old gets trolled.
Destiny (PS4) Drama - 11 year old gets trolled.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Ragnarok.Orlind
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-02-21 16:12:18
Link | Citer | R

Verda said: »
Ragnarok.Orlind said: »
Its stupidly easy to do when you have an interest in your own child's interests.
I'm interested in this bit, if I may. Do you not think something like this could ever happen while you're away? I mean there's tons of horror stories out of even paranoid mothers losing their kid to some stupid accident that could have been prevented if she was there, but she stepped away for 2 mins to use the bathroom and it was in a seemingly safe room etc. While I agree that being hard on the parents isn't necessarily bad, I think at some point we have to also look at the world we live in and the ideas that are promoted in it.

Something that may happen while you're away like that is part of being a parent and something we deal with, one way or another. Every parent gets that feeling at least once and I got my first about a year after she was born.

As for letting my child see the ideals promoted in our society, I've never once blocked my child from any of that, only tried my best to be there to help her make sense of it all. No parent will ever be able to shield away everything and that becomes truer with each passing day.

Hence why I mentioned I let my daughter watch me play Resident Evil 6. If she wanted to play Destiny, I would let her as long as I'm around because I know where she is in her development. She does a whole lot of other fun things that were meant for kids older too with me helping along as needed. When the time is right, which is decided by both of us, I won't need to be there all the time.
[+]
 Phoenix.Demonjustin
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Demonjustin 2015-02-21 16:19:20
Link | Citer | R

Such a disgusting action.
By mortontony1 2015-02-21 16:38:55
Link | Citer | R

Personally, I find it pretty funny. And like someone else said earlier on; better to find stuff like this out now than when he's buying his car or something.

And as a side note, it's all just a game. Yeah we obviously put a lot of time and energy into our games, but it seems some of you are reacting as if this kid literally got robbed by this guy.
Serveur: Odin
user: Angeljcar
By Odin.Blazeoffury 2015-02-21 16:40:27
Link | Citer | R

Feel bad for the kid but its a lesson learned. I was talked into letting someone i established a friendship with in ffxi borrow my friends character. He jacked my friends character and hopped servers. I felt pretty bad when i had to break the news to my real life friend. He was level 75 and had sea torques when they were a big deal. I think everyone has "this" moment in their lives which has many shapes and sizes but its all the same lesson and pain.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-02-21 16:50:34
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Blazeoffury said: »
Feel bad for the kid but its a lesson learned.

yes we know, that doesn't make this ok though

it doesn't make the trolls actions ok, and he had no business teaching a random 11 y/o kid a lesson
[+]
 Ragnarok.Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-02-21 17:15:20
Link | Citer | R

Feel bad for the kid but its a lesson learned. I was talked into letting someone i established a friendship with in ffxi borrow my friends character. He jacked my friends character and hopped servers. I felt pretty bad when i had to break the news to my real life friend. He was level 75 and had sea torques when they were a big deal. I think everyone has "this" moment in their lives which has many shapes and sizes but its all the same lesson and pain.

Was your friend able to get his account back? It should still be his real name on the account no matter who takes it unless they've changed that in the last few years.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2015-02-21 17:19:31
Link | Citer | R

I hope this is a lesson learned for everyone who reads this.
[+]
By mortontony1 2015-02-21 17:23:56
Link | Citer | R

Is it bad I'm really excited to get home and watch the video with sound?
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-02-21 17:34:31
Link | Citer | R

mortontony1 said: »
Is it bad I'm really excited to get home and watch the video with sound?

I don't know if anyone could find this funny, well, atleast the kid crying. I think you may think differently when you hear it. To be completely honest I was kind of prepared to laugh too, but it wasn't what I expected.

I was expecting some kid crying while raging, you know, the annoying gamer emotional rage kind. Instead it was some crushed innocent cry.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2015-02-21 17:37:37
Link | Citer | R

this isn't trolling, this is really disrespectful and malicious

what possesses someone to do that to a kid anyway?
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2015-02-21 17:37:51
Link | Citer | R

To be completely honest, emotional crying due to a loss is very disheartening.

Unfortunately, listening to someone rage crying due to the fact of being pwn hardcore is effing hilarious.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2015-02-21 17:38:07
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »

it doesn't make the trolls actions ok, and he had no business teaching a random 11 y/o kid a lesson

literally this
[+]
By Odin.Blazeoffury 2015-02-21 17:50:13
Link | Citer | R

Was your friend able to get his account back? It should still be his real name on the account no matter who takes it unless they've changed that in the last few years.

No. He didn't know the original credit info used when the account was started since he had been playing so many years. Idk if its the same but back then you had to know the original credit card you ever used to get it back. lol
By Odin.Blazeoffury 2015-02-21 17:53:16
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »

literally this
I agree but instead of pretend that the world will ever be rid of actions like this daily, lets just take the good we can from it which is lessons learned. I agree its evil spirited but it doesnt change the fact that its never gonna stop. Happen to me as a kid, it happen to you and if you have kids it'll happen to them too. It's life.
By Odin.Blazeoffury 2015-02-21 17:55:42
Link | Citer | R

I remember i had 5 Chazard shinnies. 3 blastoist. 4 Venasours all in meant condition. 2 mews and 4 mewtwos and tons of other pokemon cards during its highlight. I walked away from the corner and left my binder by accident. came back 5 mins later and the only other 13 year old kid was there acting like he didnt take it when no one else was remotely around. I was crushed and it broke me (i was 10 and shed a few tears in rage) but hey, it happens. Sometimes the pain is big and sometimes its small.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-02-21 18:34:39
Link | Citer | R

Its stupidly easy to do when you have an interest in your own child's interests.
I'm interested in this bit, if I may. Do you not think something like this could ever happen while you're away? I mean there's tons of horror stories out of even paranoid mothers losing their kid to some stupid accident that could have been prevented if she was there, but she stepped away for 2 mins to use the bathroom and it was in a seemingly safe room etc. While I agree that being hard on the parents isn't necessarily bad, I think at some point we have to also look at the world we live in and the ideas that are promoted in it.

Something that may happen while you're away like that is part of being a parent and something we deal with, one way or another. Every parent gets that feeling at least once and I got my first about a year after she was born.

As for letting my child see the ideals promoted in our society, I've never once blocked my child from any of that, only tried my best to be there to help her make sense of it all. No parent will ever be able to shield away everything and that becomes truer with each passing day.

Hence why I mentioned I let my daughter watch me play Resident Evil 6. If she wanted to play Destiny, I would let her as long as I'm around because I know where she is in her development. She does a whole lot of other fun things that were meant for kids older too with me helping along as needed. When the time is right, which is decided by both of us, I won't need to be there all the time.

Well my opinion is there's a lot of shitty things out there and it's a lot different from it happening to someone else or hearing what it is and it happening to you. Big difference. What I was asking about though was basically, knowing that a lot of parents do all they can, I mean we all have to leave the kid alone for a few minutes SOME time. And stuff like this could happen even in a few minutes. So I don't know. While I think there's a lot of parents out there who don't do great jobs, I also think something like this is possible to happen to just about anyones kid unless you just completely banned them from online games or something but then... it could be something else. I guess I just can't get behind people blaming the parents overly much. Or the kid either. It sounds too much like victim blaming to me. Should you be wary of strangers and stuff? Definitely. Things like this are why. But oh, to live in a world that wouldn't be so necessary would be nice. I read an article somewhere recently, it said public trust level has taken a nose dive in the past few decades. And really, the biggest change in those last few decades is the internet.

Don't get me wrong here. From my previous posts, I clearly want something bad to happen to the guy trolled the kid because I blame him for being a bully. I also specifically go out of my way to not blame the kid himself in all of this.

But I don't need to have any sympathy for the parents at all since the kid shouldn't have access to the game at all or without someone at least in earshot range. They are not the victims here and do have the responsibility to ensure their child is educated about the seedy side of online interactions.

On another note, is it me or did the kid mention he was on live stream when this happened? That's just another can of worms right there as a Twitch account requires you to be 13 years or old to make an account, just like YouTube. Let alone at least someone on the stream that should've said something as the guy was talking him into the cheat.
 Asura.Taidis
MSPaint Winner
Serveur: Asura
user: tidis
By Asura.Taidis 2015-02-21 18:41:33
Link | Citer | R

Yeah the kid was streaming but how anyone can sit there and watch this kid play video games is beyond me, so boring, it's the main reason I didn't watch up to him getting scammed and crying because I just killed the video out of boredom.

Probably should have just skipped the video ahead but there ya go.
By mortontony1 2015-02-21 18:41:59
Link | Citer | R

On another note, is it me or did the kid mention he was on live stream when this happened? That's just another can of worms right there as a Twitch account requires you to be 13 years or old to make an account, just like YouTube. Let alone at least someone on the stream that should've said something as the guy was talking him into the cheat.

Because I'm sure no one has ever changed a year of birth or checked 'Yes, I'm 18+' to get into the internet.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-02-21 19:07:31
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Taidis said: »
Yeah the kid was streaming but how anyone can sit there and watch this kid play video games is beyond me, so boring, it's the main reason I didn't watch up to him getting scammed and crying because I just killed the video out of boredom.

Probably should have just skipped the video ahead but there ya go.
Same reason why people watch any pro streamer that is subjectively funny/interesting or why people watch female streamers at all.

Bored people do things they would usually not do. I watched "Jennythesquirrel" yesterday for like 5 minutes because she had a *** on her desk and it was hilarious given how she acts. But if someone didn't tell me about it when I was kind of aimless after watching The Machinist, I'd have never seen it. It's not even interesting in the end, just fills people's empty time.
Serveur: Balmung
Game: FFXIV
user: Yatenkou
By Cecilia Charl 2015-02-21 19:21:56
Link | Citer | R

Remove the guy's account, if Bungie has half a mind to enforce stuff like they did on Halo, they'll ban his console from online play.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Exavion
user: Aladriel
By Ragnarok.Exavion 2015-02-21 19:33:07
Link | Citer | R

It really felt like someone was stepping on my chest at the end when he realized his characters were gone as well. It was a terrible thing to do to someone. Any RPG player knows how much time and work we invest in our characters.

Then I got to thinking about my crappy PS1 digital memory card (I forget what it was called, had 8x memory blocks you could click between) formatting itself TWO times after reaching the end of Disc 2 in Xenogears as well as all the other game data on it. Also the times my brother saved over my game files to make room for one of his own on just about every Nintendo game/console. Having an account stolen wasn't fun either. I'm sure that has happened to many of us and it's really not much different.

Also, it really is a good lesson to learn early on. He willingly gave over control of his game to a stranger in order to get a supposed boost and knew it was an exploit. This sort of trap is everywhere on the web these days and usually it's disguised as a cheat/hack/exploit/bypass etc. It could have been a lot worse for him down the line in some other form.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-21 19:43:21
Link | Citer | R

I dont even want to watch/listen to the video. This "trick" has been an issue with Share Play since the PS4 update a few months ago, and not only for Destiny.

It sucks. I mean, he's 11 years old. When you're on a video game trying to have fun, and probably not being accepted in many groups/teams/raids due to your age, something you have no control over, you want to believe that people offering to help have no malicious intentions. Part of me wants to believe that every 11 year old should be allowed to be naive a bit when trying to enjoy a video game, and not look at the world with such suspicion or negativity.

I mean, remember what you were doing when you were 10, the shows you were watching, the games you played, the things you did with your friends, the mistakes you made. It's very convenient that people forget all of that when they are making fun of the kid, saying that he deserved it for being so stupid and naive, and cheaters never win. Try to put yourself in his shoes, and look at it from his perspective.

Too many people lack empathy I feel, or are perfect human beings that never did anything wrong, never made their own mistakes that made them look foolish and naive, and look down at the people who fail to think and judge others when they try to help you for no obvious gain.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-02-21 19:44:20
Link | Citer | R

I don't understand what drives a person to do something like this. Yeah ok it's just a game, but why go out of your way to purposedely destroy someone's game? A child's too who's obviously going to be pretty hurt about it.
I don't get it, this is a horrible person regardless of the value of the damage.
[+]
 Odin.Minefield
user: Minefield
By Odin.Minefield 2015-02-21 19:44:45
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Exavion said: »
It really felt like someone was stepping on my chest at the end when he realized his characters were gone as well. It was a terrible thing to do to someone. Any RPG player knows how much time and work we invest in our characters.

Then I got to thinking about my crappy PS1 digital memory card (I forget what it was called, had 8x memory blocks you could click between) formatting itself TWO times after reaching the end of Disc 2 in Xenogears as well as all the other game data on it. Also the times my brother saved over my game files to make room for one of his own on just about every Nintendo game/console. Having an account stolen wasn't fun either. I'm sure that has happened to many of us and it's really not much different.

Also, it really is a good lesson to learn early on. He willingly gave over control of his game to a stranger in order to get a supposed boost and knew it was an exploit. This sort of trap is everywhere on the web these days and usually it's disguised as a cheat/hack/exploit/bypass etc. It could have been a lot worse for him down the line in some other form.
I can't remember for the life of me what that memory card was called, but I know exactly what you are talking about. Mine was green, see-through, had two black tiny buttons. Had like A B C slots and 1-10 slots in each? *** that memory card, deleted my data so many times, I broke it to pieces.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-02-21 19:47:23
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Playing Destiny doesn't require supervision. The only mistake the parents made was letting the kid use a headset, an 11 year old doesn't need to be talking to strangers, especially when there are people out there that enjoy making kids cry.

No 11 year old should be allowed to access the internet without supervision...

Not even to mention the part of it being rated Mature.
Serveur: Balmung
user: Yatenkou
By Cecilia Charl 2015-02-21 19:52:47
Link | Citer | R

Kalila said: »
I dont even want to watch/listen to the video. This "trick" has been an issue with shareplay since the PS4 update a few months ago, and not only for Destiny.

It sucks. I mean, he's 11 years old. When you're on a video game trying to have fun, and probably not being accepted in many groups/teams/raids due to your age, something you have no control over, you want to believe that people offering to help have no malicious intentions. Part of me wants to believe that every 11 year old should be allowed to be naive a bit when trying to enjoy a video game, and not look at the world with such suspicion or negativity.

I mean, remember what you were doing when you were 10, the shows you were watching, the games you played, the things you did with your friends, the mistakes you made. It's very convenient that people forget all of that when they are making fun of the kid, saying that he deserved it for being so stupid and naive, and cheaters never win. Try to put yourself in his shoes, and look at it from his perspective.

Too many people lack empathy I feel, or are perfect human beings that never did anything wrong, never made their own mistakes that made them look foolish and naive, and look down at the people who fail to think and judge others when they try to help you for no obvious gain.

I could not agree more.

I made the same mistake the kid made a long time ago on Runescape, a friend from school offered to give my character some gold, well I didn't know he was moving away, and the little snot stole my character and I was unable to get a hold of it for almost a year. Well, after wising up a little bit, I went in and entered the information on my password recovery, and then when he found out I changed everything, and stole all of the stuff he put on my character, I got some serious death threats, and threatened to call the GM's on me.

It was the one moment of my life that logic kicked in (and to this day was my one logical move) when I told him "And tell them what? That the account you stole from me got stolen back?"

he never bothered me since, and so while yes this was a huge learning experience for the kid, the aftermath is NOT fun. I feel for him, I've been in a semi-similar position.

I really feel like there needs to be some kind of thing to lock people out from doing things in a game while controlling someone's game. Deletion of ingame content, locking certain features of games to prevent this, and prevent the offender from just flat out seeing any kind of sensitive information.

As an IT employee, that PS4 feature feels like a HUGE security risk in terms of the potential damage it has. It could have been much much worse, he could have accessed the PS4, find email addresses, or w/e financial info they could (idk if the PS4 has soft copies of games you can buy from an online store, but nonetheless it's risky.)
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-21 20:04:16
Link | Citer | R

Share Play is like an interactive Twitch. You are only streaming the video/audio to a user. There is a PS+ feature where you can "take the controller", but you are simply sending your controller inputs to their system. You are still only seeing their "stream", you have no access to their system.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-02-21 20:08:24
Link | Citer | R

The oneline bully's PSN account is level 33, with over a hundred platinum achievements. So many hours on his Sony consoles!
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Excalibur
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-02-21 20:10:22
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
The oneline bully's PSN account is level 33, with over a hundred platinum achievements. So many hours on his Sony consoles!
"Mom!! Wipe me!!" - The Bully
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7