Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » AION beta
AION beta
 Ifrit.Dinarii
Serveur: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
user: Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-08-15 06:45:10
Link | Citer | R

anyone else been pissin around with the beta weekends? just had my first personally, and so far. i think the game has some potential, but a LOT of it seems like a WoW copy+paste. there are a few things that could get this going nicely, such as the Flight capability. i'm hoping this actually has some use and isn't just a gimick to get people paying. The storyline so far isnt too bad and the gameplay is passable.

Those who have gotten to beta the game, what do you think?
 Bahamut.Fyyvoaa
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Fyyvoaa
By Bahamut.Fyyvoaa 2009-08-15 06:53:49
Link | Citer | R

There's a Beta out?

Dammit I wanted to try it, guess it's probably too late to sign up for it.
 Kujata.Segaia
Serveur: Kujata
user: Segaia
By Kujata.Segaia 2009-08-15 06:59:59
Link | Citer | R

First of all:
I'm getting sick of ppl saying "Hey look at this! It's like WoW!!!". It's not like WoW, it has the todays MMO standards, of course theese have been partly set by WoW, but they all existed before.

And i agree with you. From the beta i haven't seen anything new to me. The partly confusing story is straight forward, imo, but u dont know why ur actually there and what ur goal is. Besides that, Aion has a beautiful graphic and i love that enemies use combos aswell and the environment is lovely made (was stunned as i saw the first cat-town). The graphic tho doesnt make up the loss of depth in this MMO, im staying with ffxi and wait for ffxiv. I dont think you can judge Aion from the Beta anyway since the level cap doesnt let us see through the whole thing (must've played in china or wherever), i just the first-impression that it's nothing new to the market, but has potential.

I'm sry if I couldnt explain my opinion a bit more detailed, but if i had to summorize... yea that's it pretty much, nothing game-breaking, but a lot of fun-potential due to the graphic. Stigma-system reminds me a lot of ether saga onlines birthday system...
 Kujata.Segaia
By Kujata.Segaia 2009-08-15 07:00:32
Link | Citer | R

Fyyvoaa said:
There's a Beta out?

werent there like 3-4 betas yet? lol
I just were in the last 2.
 Carbuncle.Khane
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Khane
By Carbuncle.Khane 2009-08-15 07:00:33
Link | Citer | R

i played during the last beta weekend, unfortunately it is just WoW with better gfx, pretty much the same UI just arranged slightly differently.
There is an Open beta starting pretty soon but i think u have to pre-order the game to actually enter it. gonna be fun as the FFXIV beta is rumored to start next month :s
 Kujata.Segaia
By Kujata.Segaia 2009-08-15 07:25:08
Link | Citer | R

FFXIV beta wont be most likely next month. They clearly stated that FFXIV wont start until FFXIII is out. Dont think SE will make any compromise on that topic.
 Bahamut.Fyyvoaa
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Fyyvoaa
By Bahamut.Fyyvoaa 2009-08-15 07:41:15
Link | Citer | R

Segaia said:
FFXIV beta wont be most likely next month. They clearly stated that FFXIV wont start until FFXIII is out. Dont think SE will make any compromise on that topic.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did start it early, FFXIII isn't going to be out for another year (if longer) and XIV has probably been in development for way longer. I can't see SE just sitting around with a game that can go in Beta just for a release of another game, plenty of developers say stuff like that but never keep their word and either release it earlier OR later (but in the case of SE I can't see them going later unless something horrible happens)
 Fenrir.Caramon
Serveur: Fenrir
user:
By Fenrir.Caramon 2009-08-15 07:49:09
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Squaresoft you can bet will hold to a late release date. 14 is years away.
 Ifrit.Dinarii
Serveur: Ifrit
user: Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-08-15 11:37:08
Link | Citer | R

Segaia said:
First of all:
I'm getting sick of ppl saying "Hey look at this! It's like WoW!!!". It's not like WoW, it has the todays MMO standards, of course theese have been partly set by WoW, but they all existed before.

i understand that, but some things seem an exact cut/paste from wow into aion. the quest system is damn near identical, the mapping, same. the HELM is a little off but not by much, toolbars/quickbars, etc. it just has a very "WoW" feel to it. like a slower, more grinding, time consuming warcraft. that and when i first started and saw that tower in the sky. what is that? just a corny .jpg image permanently set as the sky scenery? meh, so far, i'm having a very difficult time warranting the monthly payment of this. only reason i'd continue to play it would be to break the time until 14 comes out XD
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
Serveur: Diabolos
user: Caesar
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-08-15 11:54:37
Link | Citer | R

Hiring has already been done for the FFXIV team... so it's likely that the job postings that said that the jobs would start in Sept-Oct time frame meant that we would at least see a closed beta or alpha release in that time frame. Also, SE publicly stated that they were shooting for a much longer beta period with FFXIV, along the lines of 9 months.

/rerail

I've been watching AION closely for about a year now. Have to say I am not really disappointed, but I think they could have done better. The flight system that was the main hype/selling point was terrible on the build I played. Maybe they will fix it. It is still early in the game. All MMOs suck when they first come out. I doubt AION will be any different, but heres hoping that they iron out the kinks quickly.
 Kujata.Segaia
By Kujata.Segaia 2009-08-15 12:23:44
Link | Citer | R

Fyyvoaa said:
Segaia said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they did start it early, FFXIII isn't going to be out for another year (if longer) and XIV has probably been in development for way longer. I can't see SE just sitting around with a game that can go in Beta just for a release of another game, plenty of developers say stuff like that but never keep their word and either release it earlier OR later (but in the case of SE I can't see them going later unless something horrible happens)

FFXIII will be out between Novembre 2009 and March 2010. After that you can expect a beta for FFXIV. No way they screw up the straight line of FF-Releases. Tbh i think they will do it pre-xmas, they would be dumb if they would not. I expect FFXIV February/March 2010.

At all, why just not wait for GamesCom... We will have a lot more info then, im sure. :)
 Fenrir.Dramanue
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Dramanue
By Fenrir.Dramanue 2009-08-16 10:23:53
Link | Citer | R

I just realized something...

NCSoft's release date/timing for Aion is rather similar to their release date for Lineage II, another game which, at the time, had amazing graphics.

What I find interesting, though, (and it may be just coincidence) is that Lineage II was released just before FFXI, whilst Aion seems to follow the same trend by releasing just before FFXIV. It may not be just before, but the timing is there.

As far as the game itself goes, I will admit that I wanted to try it out. It has beautiful graphics and the setting with the angels is an interesting idea. I had played a bit of Perfect World Online, another game that had angels (or winged characters, your call), and found it rather bland since it was an extreme grinder rather than the party-shared experience that FFXI is.

I've read different reviews and have seen the WoW comments before (even Game Informer states this), and this draws me away from the game. I enjoy FFXI for its look and feel, and I can't seem to play any other mmo (during my time playing FFXI, I've tried around 10+ other mmo's). Aion may be nice and beautiful, but I doubt it'll tear me away from FFXI.

Only time will tell, though.
 Carbuncle.Kyri
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Kyri
By Carbuncle.Kyri 2009-08-16 10:44:48
Link | Citer | R

aion looks so cool ; ; i really wanna try it but i cant afford 2 mmo><
 Gilgamesh.Deathsshadow
Serveur: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Deathsshadow 2009-08-16 11:30:50
Link | Citer | R

Segaia said:
First of all:

And i agree with you. From the beta i haven't seen anything new to me. The partly confusing story is straight forward, imo, but u dont know why ur actually there and what ur goal is. Besides that, Aion has a beautiful graphic and i love that enemies use combos aswell and the environment is lovely made (was stunned as i saw the first cat-town). The graphic tho doesnt make up the loss of depth in this MMO, im staying with ffxi and wait for ffxiv. I dont think you can judge Aion from the Beta anyway since the level cap doesnt let us see through the whole thing (must've played in china or wherever), i just the first-impression that it's nothing new to the market, but has potential.

I'm sry if I couldnt explain my opinion a bit more detailed, but if i had to summorize... yea that's it pretty much, nothing game-breaking, but a lot of fun-potential due to the graphic. Stigma-system reminds me a lot of ether saga onlines birthday system...

lol it is like wow... i've been playin the beta lately and the gameplay is pretty much the same... i like wow so this game looks like it might catch my attention some
 Kujata.Akeda
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2009-08-16 12:18:28
Link | Citer | R

I just looked at screenshots of the game and it really does look like WoW.

After playing FFXI though, it's hard to play a MMO that doesn't use the control pad. I loaded up EQ2 last month just to see what was going on and I felt so lost.
 Phoenix.Blasphemy
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Blasphamy
By Phoenix.Blasphemy 2009-08-17 02:31:48
Link | Citer | R

Fyyvoaa said:
There's a Beta out?

im not even quoting you to quote you but your stupid lil picture of a fly or w/e the hell that is, was annoying the ***out of me i kept swatting at the damn monitor... till i noticed OH SHNAP! its not real >.>;
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [32 days between previous and next post]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-09-18 09:02:39
Link | Citer | R

I'm a bit interested in this game, though I play 2 MMO's already but I always like to try new ones.

Today the pre-release came out http://na.aiononline.com/en/news/aion-launch-version-1.html

On the 20th, the head start begins.

Anyone else going to try the game out?
 Ragnarok.Zakules
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Zakules
By Ragnarok.Zakules 2009-09-18 09:38:36
Link | Citer | R

I've played during the closed betas and I'm gonna try out the game as soon as it releases. I'm interested in the PvPvE thing which there will be times where another NPC party may appear during a PvP battle, allying with your race, the other race or simply ruining everybody with their "leetness" lol... Seems like a lot of fun (at least for me) =)
Already paid for the full version and waiting for release ^.^/
 Asura.Eeek
Serveur: Asura
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-09-18 12:43:33
Link | Citer | R

I have two friends bugging me to give this game a shot, but as someone who recently canceled their FFXI account, I'm enjoying my newfound free time. I can't lie though. I'm tempted to give it a shot. My main stumbling block is the lack of a free trial (in the same vein as WoW's free trial) as I'm reluctant to drop $50 - $60 on a new game I might not enjoy or that might have longevity issues. Also, I'm in no big hurry to jump back into the MMO rat race.