Place Your Midterm Election Bets.

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Place Your Midterm Election Bets.
Place Your Midterm Election Bets.
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25 ... 30 31 32
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-07 14:10:23
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »
the stimulus saved the economy from a literal meltdown
lol... Oh wait you're serious, let me laugh even harder.

Unemployment rate went from ~10% to 5.8%, I'd say it helped a lot.

Notice something?

From 2000-2008, the labor participation rate was steady between 66-66.5% during those years.

In comes Obama, and the labor participation rate fell more than 3% and it's still falling! That's about 9.5 million people not working since Obama came into office.

How many jobs were "created" during that time again?

See the issue?
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-11-07 14:10:26
Link | Citer | R

I don't watch TV, I don't listen to radio, I can't read and I don't follow any major media outlet.

/points finger
You're a goddamned mennonite!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-11-07 14:10:54
Link | Citer | R

at yourself?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Serveur: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-07 14:11:26
Link | Citer | R

Then why has the employment participation rate dropped so much since 2010?

There's been the beginnings of a large demographic shift in the last decade as baby-boomers leave the workforce for many reasons. Both participation and unemployment rates are flawed, you have to look at many different metrics to figure out what's actually going on. Unemployment is down across the board, significantly in STEM fields, however real household income is down and more people are underemployed. It's not like everything is peachy, but there is upward movement. Economic growth is basically a panacea in simple economics, mostly because it masks issues, instead of the "rising tide" mentality that you hear about.

Actual economists, not economic commentators, have very specific analyses of what the stimulus did and didn't do.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-11-07 14:11:45
Link | Citer | R

there's another one!!!
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-07 14:12:36
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Liberal racism = to defend someone despite their actions, because of their race.
But Jassik isn't a liberal, he said so himself. Never mind that he pretty much parrots anything the liberal media spouts on a daily basis, plus him defending Obama (but not really defending, so he says) pretty much any opportunity he can find.

But he isn't a liberal, and he didn't vote for Obama, and he doesn't support their policies. He said so himself.
Why does he parrot the liberal narrative to the letter than?

He must have political dysphoria or something.

I love how anything that isn't "conservative" media like Rush or FOX is considered liberal. Also, I don't watch TV, I don't listen to talk radio, I don't follow any major media outlet. I can't be parroting anyone, and I can't help it if you view facts as liberal.
So if you're so in tune with the facts then I'll ask again, why has the labor participation dropped so much since 2010?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-07 14:12:50
Link | Citer | R

Liberal racism = to defend someone despite their actions, because of their race.
But Jassik isn't a liberal, he said so himself. Never mind that he pretty much parrots anything the liberal media spouts on a daily basis, plus him defending Obama (but not really defending, so he says) pretty much any opportunity he can find.

But he isn't a liberal, and he didn't vote for Obama, and he doesn't support their policies. He said so himself.
Why does he parrot the liberal narrative to the letter than?

He must have political dysphoria or something.
He parrots it because he hasn't realized that he is a liberal.

Like he "didn't" vote for Obama.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-07 14:13:19
Link | Citer | R

Of the working population the percentage of people actually working is pretty close to 40 year lows.

When people stop collecting unemployment they are no longer counted as unemployed. This doesn't mean they found a job, it can often mean they went on some other form of welfare or disability.

BTW the disability recipient rate has increased significantly since the great recession.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-11-07 14:13:36
Link | Citer | R

I'm telling PETA... jassik's compy is powered by hamsters
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-07 14:13:48
Link | Citer | R

There's been the beginnings of a large demographic shift in the last decade as baby-boomers leave the workforce for many reasons. Both participation and unemployment rates are flawed, you have to look at many different metrics to figure out what's actually going on. Unemployment is down across the board, significantly in STEM fields, however real household income is down and more people are underemployed. It's not like everything is peachy, but there is upward movement. Economic growth is basically a panacea in simple economics, mostly because it masks issues, instead of the "rising tide" mentality that you hear about.

Actual economists, not economic commentators, have very specific analyses of what the stimulus did and didn't do.
So, the statistics are flawed if it goes against your agenda. Got it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-07 14:14:53
Link | Citer | R

Retracted, late on post, lol.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-07 14:16:16
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
I don't watch TV, I don't listen to radio, I can't read and I don't follow any major media outlet.

/points finger

He probably considers John Stewart an non major media outlet.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-07 14:16:32
Link | Citer | R

So, the statistics are flawed if it goes against your agenda. Got it.

No, the statistics are flawed because unemployment only tracks people actively seeking work, not ones who have exited the workforce or who's benefits have expired. Participation rate only tracks the number of americans that are employed, not their age, profession, or income.

Fun fact, the participation rate is decreasing at a lower rate than retirements. The population demographics have changed, and neither metric covers those. They're flawed because they don't tell the story you think they do.

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-07 14:19:58
Link | Citer | R

/points finger
You actually made double check to see if he said "I can't read."

Curse you!
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-11-07 14:22:34
Link | Citer | R

It's going to keep on dropping, baby boomers will all be retired within the next decade.

unless we can convince/force them to all to get on the carousel for the good of the country.... stinky hippies

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-07 14:23:27
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

Of the working population the percentage of people actually working is pretty close to 40 year lows.

When people stop collecting unemployment they are no longer counted as unemployed. This doesn't mean they found a job, it can often mean they went on some other form of welfare or disability.

BTW the disability recipient rate has increased significantly since the great recession.

It's going to keep on dropping, baby boomers will all be retired within the next decade.
If baby boomers cross out of the age range of the chart, they are no longer a part of the equation. That means they have no effect on it. There are always more younger people than older people. For every 1 old person that exits the workforce, 2 young people enter it. Baby boomers exiting do not justify the lowest participation rate in 40 years.

Your argument is horseshit!
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-07 14:24:38
Link | Citer | R

So decrease in unemployment rate = good, decrease in labor participation = Both participation and unemployment rates are flawed.

So does this mean the unemployment rate the Obama administration touts is meaningless?
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Serveur: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-11-07 14:25:41
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Zellc said: »
School is extremely expensive. A person close to me paid 100k for 4 years of school and owes 27k in loans. Depending what you go for, thats a lot to pay off if you are then stuck in retail after school is over. We should have higher learning for free or at an lower price. Other countries do it and I dont see their economies failing.(Admittedly, I dont know this as fact. I just see headlines sometimes of what germany or the uk are doing.)

Germany's school system is very different. I'm on the fence as to which is more beneficial. You basically have a division of AP/Regular/"Abandon all hope!" schools rather than classes. Kids are separated by aptitude/ability in middle school. So, Gymnasium (AP school) is the university-bound track. Mitte Schule can be university-bound but more vocational. Real Schule, congrats! You'll be a bonafied burger-flipper! Way to apply yourself! There is a little mobility within the tiered school system though.

They just don't dole out FASFA to every person who applies, which has it's obvious benefits.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-07 14:26:08
Link | Citer | R

Total population able to work excludes those who are of retirement age and disabled.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Zellc
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Zellc
By Bahamut.Zellc 2014-11-07 14:27:24
Link | Citer | R

Seems like the main issues R's have is an issue with is government abuse. My first question is if its such a big deal(it is imo), what have previous R's done to fix said issue?.

Well Zellc, I'm glad you asked. You see any and all of our efforts have been misconstrued and misrepresented as "racist" and "evil" and "trying to kill old people and starve children" with the majority of main stream press towing that line.

So basically rather than make cuts we have been trying to halt the growth of big government and it's impact on our daily lives, however unsuccessfully.

It would take many hours to explain all the subtleties... but perhaps you can glean a couple of them out of the horse hockey we pitch around in here

So moving forward, what could we expect from a majority R controlled congress? Im guessing they will try to push legislation to support their agenda. At that point would the potus veto everything that would come across the table? Say he tries to work with the R's, would he be viewed as weak for giving in? seems like he is in a lose lose situation.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-07 14:28:23
Link | Citer | R

If baby boomers cross out of the age range of the chart, they are no longer a part of the equation. That means they have no effect on it. There are always more younger people than older people. For every 1 old person that exits the workforce, 2 young people enter it. Baby boomers exiting do not justify the lowest participation rate in 40 years.

Your argument is horseshit!

They track based on age, the largest drops are in the categories from 55-65. They don't stop tracking or calculating at a certain age, the last age range is 75+. Younger people are also going back to school in large numbers.

Do some actual research on the graphs you post.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-11-07 14:31:22
Link | Citer | R

Seems like the main issues R's have is an issue with is government abuse. My first question is if its such a big deal(it is imo), what have previous R's done to fix said issue?.

Well Zellc, I'm glad you asked. You see any and all of our efforts have been misconstrued and misrepresented as "racist" and "evil" and "trying to kill old people and starve children" with the majority of main stream press towing that line.

So basically rather than make cuts we have been trying to halt the growth of big government and it's impact on our daily lives, however unsuccessfully.

It would take many hours to explain all the subtleties... but perhaps you can glean a couple of them out of the horse hockey we pitch around in here

So moving forward, what could we expect from a majority R controlled congress? Im guessing they will try to push legislation to support their agenda. At that point would the potus veto everything that would come across the table? Say he tries to work with the R's, would he be viewed as weak for giving in? seems like he is in a lose lose situation.

we'll just try to push through things like oil pipelines and corporate tax reform because that's the side of our bread that gets buttered...
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-07 14:32:10
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
It's just damned if you do it again.

Trying to control the entire economy of Europe, go go Weimar Republic again!
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-11-07 14:33:52
Link | Citer | R

Possibly tax reform, nothing else of substance. I seriously doubt they will tackle immigration.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-11-07 14:35:59
Link | Citer | R

republicans want to work on immigration... if by immigration you mean sealing the united states up inside a giant concrete dome so no one else can get in...
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-07 14:37:18
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Viciousss said: »

Possibly tax reform, nothing else of substance. I seriously doubt they will tackle immigration.

I think there is enough pressure to at least roll out a bandaid with some riders that they can use in 2016 campaign ads. "Democrat X voted against giving lollipops to toddlers with birth defects".

I anticipate at least one attempt to repeal or defund ACA before they settle for some changes that don't actually fix anything.

I think a lot of good could come out of things actually getting to the president's desk, but I doubt more than 1-2 pieces of actual legislation will make it, mixed in with mountains of political posturing.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-11-07 14:39:11
Link | Citer | R

One attempt? No they will try to repeal or defund ACA at least 10 times.
 Siren.Mosin
Serveur: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-11-07 14:40:10
Link | Citer | R

republicans want to work on immigration... if by immigration you mean sealing the united states up inside a giant concrete dome so no one else can get in...

that's a lot of work, looks like we'll need some mexicans.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25 ... 30 31 32