August Version Update Changes
 Cerberus.Spirachub
Serveur: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Spiraboo
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2014-08-13 07:22:34
Link | Citer | R

Jadey said: »
You can easily keep a hybrid 50PDT/50MDT/87.5LDT set and on stuff like VD AA each AoE only does ~180-200.

that's pretty pimp. Last time I did VD EV on pld, arrogance incarnate hit me for ~900-1100 with scherzo up and very high -bdt (granted i haven't capped then i think). This was very long time ago of course and maybe geo is just THAT good, or they nerfed AI? :P
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-08-13 08:09:55
Link | Citer | R

Finally, the prophecy has been fulfilled *in my Morpheus voice*

How long I have prayed for GEO to become relevant. It's not replacing BRD, but with a competent magic damage build, some good ldt and overall dt gear (for your own survivability if your bubble is needed on front line), and the right pieces for your buffs (i.e. Idris, capped skill), There should be no valid reason why COR would get the nod every time over GEO.

Taking damage out of the equation, GEO now vs COR now doesn't compare. The only real issue is keeping your pet alive, and I'm sure with the new 70% damage taken update and some wise ability usage, you could still make a case that it's worth it.

I am happy with GEO currently.
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: bukasmith
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-08-13 08:14:53
Link | Citer | R

any geo without full dt sets, full magic damage sets, macc sets, cure cast/cure pot sets, and fastcast/midcast sets is why they dont think its good. i mean before update geo was a good stunner for delves ect. not having all those sets for any job that uses them means you arent playing final fantasy XI to the best of your ability and should feel bad!
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-08-13 09:52:53
Link | Citer | R

Yeah Bukadan, that sounds good. But this is a just a game, and always has been. Whether some have a little or a lot of time to devote to their jobs is one thing. Even a crappy COR or BRD gets invites simply because of their Job. GEO shouldn't be any different, but there will always be a distinction between players who care about their jobs and those who don't give a crap, and the former will always shine. Regardless of whether its COR vs GEO vs BRD.
[+]
 Siren.Sieha
Serveur: Siren
user: Sieha1
By Siren.Sieha 2014-08-13 10:04:50
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Spirachub said: »
You can easily keep a hybrid 50PDT/50MDT/87.5LDT set and on stuff like VD AA each AoE only does ~180-200.

that's pretty pimp. Last time I did VD EV on pld, arrogance incarnate hit me for ~900-1100 with scherzo up and very high -bdt (granted i haven't capped then i think). This was very long time ago of course and maybe geo is just THAT good, or they nerfed AI? :P

Probably had at least 4 people maybe more in range of AI vs 1.
 Cerberus.Spirachub
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2014-08-13 10:33:26
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Sieha said: »

according to jp wiki 1 person take 100% dmg, 2 people take 80%, 3 people take 75%.

not sure about 4 people, but assuming it's just pld geo and luopan, that's 75% dmg each... for it to be doing 200 dmg each it has to have been only doing 266 dmg solo... sounds a little unlikely.
 Ragnarok.Afania
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-08-13 10:43:18
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Malothar said: »
Leviathan.Krysten said: »
Wont be replaceing Cor anytime soon unless your server cor's just suck.

Buffs are only one side the job, DDing is another which geo isnt anywhere near because DUH its magical.

lol, it works both ways don't you know? :P

Wait til you start seeing some Geo DDs romping about. It's not only fun, but bubbles +50-70% of a mythic Mnks damage is a pretty damn good contribution.

50%~70% of dmg of good DD is about the same as COR so it's buff v.s buff. Although GEO is a bit more versatile than COR with enfeebling skill, ability to stun and mage gear access.

It also doesn't hurt to take both since you're either not capped on attack so you need more attack, or get advantage from allies roll, which makes a difference after SC update.

Also COR has different dmg type from GEO, piercing/ranged dmg is useful in Kamir/Ceizak for example.
By Afania 2014-08-13 10:47:37
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Even a crappy COR or BRD gets invites simply because of their Job.

I tried to avoid inviting a crappy BRD but sometimes I had to. I don't invite a crappy COR though, the contribution from a crappy COR is way too low to justify a pt spot....unless it's a mule or something.
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-08-13 11:15:25
Link | Citer | R

the cor and brd spots arent neccesarily what youd replace for a geo. i mean 6 man delve I runs can swap the stunner for a geo, just have the whm silence and keep it up. if anything, that swap (as long as whm keeps it silenced full time, meaning if a spell gets off its the whms fault) is now validated more than ever.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-08-13 11:26:42
Link | Citer | R

Agree with the above, except the point about GEO being a good stunner in Delve. I'm not saying its not a good stunner, I'm just trying to understand why you'd sub BLM over the other subs for Delve content.

I can see if you absolutely can't find a rdm or sch, but forcing a GEO to sub BLM for stun duty, although doable, seems like it is missing out on some other vital contributions to the group from either /whm or /rdm.

But Afaina, the stigma that "I need BRD or COR" is far too prevalent in ffxi. not because the actual player is good or anything, but because the job is the job you've heard helps the party win, whether that player is good or bad. I have been in groups with a pretty shitty brd or cor, and I wish they would have just asked me to come GEO (or cor or brd) instead in their place. But because of that stigma that "What the hell is a GEO supposed to do", aka Player Ignorance, 7/10 times, the BRD or COR gets the nod over a more than competent GEO.
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-08-13 11:36:20
Link | Citer | R

geo cor mnk mnk whm brd for a tojil. youd sub blm to stun so that you get some of the benefits of geo (they can thunder after aquabreaths/water after earthbreaths on kurma too)while maintaining the stunning ability (as well as prepping mata with regen bubble). it also promotes not resetting 1h's between runs. thats why you'd sub blm. the question isnt cor/brd or geo, its sch or rdm or geo.
you'd never take more than 6 so just throwing the geo in as a 7th would be against profitability. the less lotters you have the better.
 Cerberus.Spirachub
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2014-08-13 11:48:40
Link | Citer | R

I've always been a fan of geo, even before the update.

The problem is more to do with there is not a lot of serious geos around. It's a bit like cor - majority of people levelled them to leech, not a lot of people play it seriously. bard and cor combo is probably still preferred because it's well known and less easy to screw up than a less conventional combo. It will probably take some time (and some hard worthwhile content) before this mindset would change really

Whilst I agree it probably works for delve1 to replace a sch or rdm to stun, you pretty much have to know a career geo for it to be possible. It's probably harder to find a geo who has the stun set(and knows how to stun) and the dark magic skills to stun than a sch or rdm who does.
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-08-13 11:58:36
Link | Citer | R

well as long as you have the recast youre good.(obviously the correct ilevel macc gear). i mean ive stunned as brd/blm before, with a geo taking the stunners normal spot as geo/rdm and it worked well, just me being /whm is better so i can follow hastes on my dps. unless career means "has full sets", then in my opinion, if youre willing to offer the job at all, then you have a set for every spell the job uses. i mean there are at least on my server a few geos with sets so we can try new things like that more often.

all you bards out there should try brd/blm if you cant get a stunner or just wanna try it. its fun and actually works out to be rather seemless as far as giving it a shot.
 Ragnarok.Afania
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-08-13 13:38:25
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Agree with the above, except the point about GEO being a good stunner in Delve. I'm not saying its not a good stunner, I'm just trying to understand why you'd sub BLM over the other subs for Delve content.

Because getting GEO to stun is like doing the job of 2 ppl with 1 slot. You get more out of the stunner's spot with extra buffs(and nukes) from GEO.

Ppl with stun SCH RDM levelled should be able to stun on GEO np.
 Siren.Sieha
By Siren.Sieha 2014-08-13 13:46:05
Link | Citer | R

according to jp wiki 1 person take 100% dmg, 2 people take 80%, 3 people take 75%.

not sure about 4 people, but assuming it's just pld geo and luopan, that's 75% dmg each... for it to be doing 200 dmg each it has to have been only doing 266 dmg solo... sounds a little unlikely.

He hasnt returned so I would say its either bunk or they didnt use rngs and had all dds in range.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-08-13 14:15:12
Link | Citer | R

Yeah ~ Maybe my finger dexterity isn't that good. But I don't know how good I would fare trying to Stun, Keep Luopans up, and nuke in between comfortably enough. I don't know how responsible someone like me would have doing all of that, but sideline curing/na'ing, and nuking, I'm all for it.
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-08-13 14:26:06
Link | Citer | R

its not about finger dexterity really. each delve mb will 100% do a swing->ws->swing->ws->swing->ws predictable pattern. youll know when to stun. itll be part of it. practice against the wkr mobs theyll follow a similer pattern if you do them with a few friends so as to not lag. if you cant input a stun into the pattern of delve mega boss AI, then getting better at pattern recognition via wkr or another mob that follows the same pattern would work wonders for your abilities in not just stunning.

it shouldnt be casting, so try to not include casting as part of it. it should be kept silenced by the whm. if your whm cant keep it silenced then work with a different one. theres no reason to not keep tojil silenced on whm, just tell them to suckless (seriously, lol that actually applies here). geo cor brd whm ddx2 is the strat being talked about in regards to geo stunning.

alternatively, you could have the brd sub blm and alternate for your first few times to get used to it. although youre gonna need a good brd for that, with appropriate sets, itll still be beneficial to not need to reset 1hs between runs and this definately would help lesser groups achieve that.
By Jadey 2014-08-13 15:26:34
Link | Citer | R

He hasnt returned so I would say its either bunk or they didnt use rngs and had all dds in range.

k

Not sure how

Quote:
Idris has been a major boon to keeping the luopan alive. You can easily keep a hybrid 50PDT/50MDT/87.5LDT set and on stuff like VD AA each AoE only does ~180-200.

turned into some kind of crazy thing about what damage the GEO takes. What benefit is there to keeping the GEO frontline on a fight like that, exactly? Frailty on EV, Fury on the RNGs, kill VD in ~5 minutes if you get lucky and Bene comes before Invin, ~6-7 minutes if it doesn't. The only time I see luopan damage going far over 200 are when HM weapon skills under Brazen Rush. I don't know how much damage I personally take from Arrogance Incarnate because I'm smart enough to realize there's no reason for me to be anywhere near EV.

There's only a few battlefields where it makes sense to be a frontline GEO (Tenzen, Head Wind, Stellar before 50%, Ouryu before 25% if you're on Stona duty, Puppet in Peril if you're not /BLM or know how to stand to avoid Clobber and Batterhorn) and even those come down to party makeup. You can frontline just about every single Delve boss (again, assuming it makes sense to do it) in 50/50/87.5 without needing too much support.

And if you're asking why I would mention 50/50/87.5 if I'm not talking about going frontline, it's because creating that set without Idris is really tough. You can only get to the 87.5% cap on physical damage for the luopan and that requires getting the level 99 Magian Pet:PDT staff.
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-08-13 15:45:51
Link | Citer | R

either way not having a set for dt of all kinds for the max of what youre capable of is a big *** you to being efficient.

dt sets are a pre-req for all jobs.
 Siren.Ulicaura
user: danblend
By Siren.Ulicaura 2014-08-13 17:12:10
Link | Citer | R

Ok, so, aside from all the arguing over which job is better and such like, i'd like to pose a hypothesis to you all:

With these new buffed GEO spells, would doing something like, reducing the mob's attack and raising out own defenses, which we can now do to a massive degree, will it allow us maybe to try different party setups given people will maybe die a lot slower?

Someone who is better than me at the FFXI maths, please weigh in on this :)
 Siren.Sieha
By Siren.Sieha 2014-08-13 17:34:31
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Ulicaura said: »
Ok, so, aside from all the arguing over which job is better and such like, ...

But its more fun to argue and make fun of people. Also dont forget that is also proves you are better than someone else which, in the end is all that is important.

That aside yes Geo does open up to being useful now. We seem to get stuck in one accepted way to get something done. However when needed there are always ways to get around it given enough time, gear, trial and error. Pops are easy these days not like monarch orbs used to be...