Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Blog Hosting
Blog Hosting
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2008-06-26 20:30:48
Link | Citer | R

Hello,

I would like to start a blog for my FFXI adventures. Does anyone have a favorite blog host?
 Ragnarok.Anye
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2008-06-26 21:28:41
Link | Citer | R

Lol, I guess I'll be your first response, Blind.^^

As far as I've seen, I started out with a FFXI blog on Livejournal, which sort of petered off because I started school... and no one was reading it. =P I've also seen a couple Blogspots out there (some people post their blogs on their FFXIclopedia User page).

From experience, Livejournal is nice with HTML formatting, so I was able to format posts pretty nicely, and a friend of a friend's lj was REALLY good with screenshots and attended a bunch of endgame events, so I was always impressed with his entries.

If you start one, it might motivate me to start my own, too XD
 Ragnarok.Saeryn
user: Saeryn
By Ragnarok.Saeryn 2008-06-27 01:35:52
Link | Citer | R

Blogger seems to be really popular lately for that sorta thang.
 Ragnarok.Anye
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2008-06-28 22:07:19
Link | Citer | R

<OOC>Saesae, did you get my message about PM 4-3? =O </OOC>
 Fenrir.Maiev
VIP
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Maiev
By Fenrir.Maiev 2008-06-28 23:50:10
Link | Citer | R

Blindphleb said:
Hello,

I would like to start a blog for my FFXI adventures. Does anyone have a favorite blog host?

It depends how much control you want over your blog. When I mean control, do you want to like have full access to codes/the engine that runs your blog, or just a type and post, and let others do the maintenance stuff.

There is a huge FFXI community at both Livejournal and Blogger. If you do not have the time/technical knowledge, I'd sguggest start with that. Its really solid, type and post.

For somewhat okay control, you can sign up an account with Wordpress.com. It starts you off with something like Livejournal/Blogger, but if you want a bit more control later, you can pay them and they will allow you to like use fancy skins, have a domain forwarding etc... again, all the above don't need any technical expertise. Its a fully managed hosting.

If you want to be fancy or the ability to totally persoanlize it. You can consider signing up for a hosting plan, get a doamin and install a blog yourself. I personally use Wordpress but there are plenty of blog engines out there.

This comes with total control of the server and the blog engine, but you also got to maintain it yourself, such as regular patching, updating and of course, pay your hosting bills. Its fun but time consuming.

So it really depends on what you want. Free/Little Control/Fully Managed or Pay/Total Control/Self Managed