Random Politics & Religion #00

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 968 969 970 ... 1375 1376 1377
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-24 17:24:33
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
worldwide peace

Something something liberal agenda.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Serveur: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2015-09-24 17:28:43
Link | Citer | R

Jassik said: »
Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
I suppose it's different. If you had a religious body questioning your federal rights before congress you'd be a bit ticked off too.

I'm not sure which federal rights you're referring to. I don't like religious ideology affecting affairs of state on any level unless they coincide with secular ideology. "Murder is bad", for example, it's an exclusively religious idea. I wouldn't even have a problem with banning abortion if there was a secular ideology behind it, like radically declining population or if we discovered that zygotes had consciousness, etc.

I and a lot of other LGBT had our right to marry questioned and it's still questioned for several years. Personally I've seen my rights toyed with since Prop 22. So excuse me if I'm a bit salty that he just rides in on his pope mobile waving his hand like a Miss Universe contestant just to call into question my right to marry with his concerns of family.
By Jetackuu 2015-09-24 17:29:57
Link | Citer | R

"Murder is bad", for example, it's an exclusively religious idea
lol no it isn't.

It's rather bad for society if people were to randomly kill others with no consequence.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Serveur: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-09-24 17:33:01
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
worldwide peace

Something something liberal, Jesuit agenda.

My stars! Catholics hate their own also?
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-24 17:33:33
Link | Citer | R

I suppose it's different. If you had a religious body questioning your federal rights before congress you'd be a bit ticked off too.

I'm not sure which federal rights you're referring to. I don't like religious ideology affecting affairs of state on any level unless they coincide with secular ideology. "Murder is bad", for example, it's an exclusively religious idea. I wouldn't even have a problem with banning abortion if there was a secular ideology behind it, like radically declining population or if we discovered that zygotes had consciousness, etc.

I and a lot of other LGBT had our right to marry questioned and it's still questioned for several years. Personally I've seen my rights toyed with since Prop 22. So excuse me if I'm a bit salty that he just rides in on his pope mobile waving his hand like a Miss Universe contestant just to call into question my right to marry with his concerns of family.

Yeah, that. Marriage equality isn't going away anytime soon. It would require a constitutional amendment to make it illegal now, but it's not like the pope is the only person in that room who holds that opinion.

Either way, there's plenty of what he said that I agree with, and plenty I disagree with. I respect him for saying unpopular things knowing there will be pushback but also believing it earnestly.

I just don't get as worked up over his opinions, since they obviously aren't massively important to my life, like that one is to yours.

Aren't you catholic? How does the church's stance on LGBT jive with it? I've always had a hard time wrapping my head around it, since there are much more accepting denominations.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-24 17:34:37
Link | Citer | R

Jetackuu said: »
lol no it isn't.

It's rather bad for society if people were to randomly kill others with no consequence.

That was most definitely a typo. Should be isn't.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2015-09-24 17:37:32
Link | Citer | R

Im what you would call a Catholic who left the church and was thinking of coming back. He had made comments earlier this year to LGBT on "who am I to judge?" However this speech today just makes him a hypocrite. After his speech today I definitely won't be returning.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-24 17:39:04
Link | Citer | R

Im what you would call a Catholic who left the church and was thinking of coming back. He had made comments earlier this year to LGBT on "who am I to judge?" However this speech today just makes him a hypocrite. After his speech today I definitely won't be returning.

I wasn't able to listen to the whole speech, so I'm not really sure what he said about LGBT.
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-09-24 17:40:20
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Homosexual marriage and abortion are not us-specific. They're social topics that partain the whole world.
So?

Do you think it's ok for somebody outside your country to go to your capital and tell your politicians what to do?

Because if so, I'll be over there in Italy in a bit and give them an earful.
Like Benjamin Netanyahu? After Italy its just a short hop to Israel.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2015-09-24 17:41:55
Link | Citer | R

I wasn't able to listen to the whole speech, so I'm not really sure what he said about LGBT.
He made a very subtle jab at same-sex marriage.

Quote:
I cannot hide my concern for the family, which is threatened, perhaps as never before, from within and without. Fundamental relationships are being called into question, as is the very basis of marriage and the family. I can only reiterate the importance and, above all, the richness and the beauty of family life.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-09-24 17:44:19
Link | Citer | R

Drama Torama said: »
The Church has no right to speak on matters of science/medicine, let alone federal laws
In his defense, most of Congress isn't really qualified to talk about any of that stuff either
In the defense of Congress, they haven't been proven wrong on matters of science since the days of Galileo.
/rolleyes
Administrator
Serveur: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-09-24 17:54:14
Link | Citer | R

In the defense of Congress, they haven't been proven wrong on matters of science since the days of Galileo.

Are you kidding me

Congress gets science and especially technology wrong constantly. I suppose you're technically correct in the sense that Congress hasn't been around since Galileo, but I bet their batting average is comparable (or lower).

I get that you've got some well-founded grievances with the Pope, but let's not lose sight of the fact that Congress is awful to the core.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-24 18:09:25
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
I cannot hide my concern for the family, which is threatened, perhaps as never before, from within and without. Fundamental relationships are being called into question, as is the very basis of marriage and the family. I can only reiterate the importance and, above all, the richness and the beauty of family life.

Yeah that's a little distasteful, but at least he lumped in what I'd assume is infidelity, divorce, and general dysfunction. It is telling that gays on average have lower divorce rates and infidelity seems to be a male problem more than a marriage one, given the variance between straight, gay, and lesbian infidelity.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2015-09-24 18:10:20
Link | Citer | R

Drama Torama said: »

Are you kidding me

Congress gets science and especially technology wrong constantly. I suppose you're technically correct in the sense that Congress hasn't been around since Galileo, but I bet their batting average is comparable (or lower).

I get that you've got some well-founded grievances with the Pope, but let's not lose sight of the fact that Congress is awful to the core.

I think the RCC has a lower batting average when it comes to science. Common, they threatened Galileo's life lol I don't think Congress has ever physically threatened Planned Parenthood lol
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-09-24 18:12:55
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
About as subtle as a prison rape.
[+]
 Bahamut.Omael
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-09-24 18:16:05
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Omael said: »

Ted Stevens is rolling in his tubes.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2015-09-24 18:21:34
Link | Citer | R

I'm not saying that Congress is a collective of noble laureates, however, the RCC has a much longer history of opposing science than US congress.
[+]
 Bahamut.Omael
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-09-24 18:23:08
Link | Citer | R

I'm not saying that Congress is a collective log noble laureates, however, the RCC has a much longer history opposing science than US congress

Well, they have been around a couple more years.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-24 19:25:07
Link | Citer | R

Josiahkf said: »
I thought he was allowing same sex couples into the Vatican. Now he's against them existing?

Based on what he's said publicly, including that statement, I think he's taking a more passive approach to the issue. It's not like they're going to tithe or be closer to god if he doesn't let them into a church. Better to have them in the fold than outcast. And he seems to be pretty clear that even the pope is still a man, and it's god's right to judge, not his.
By Jetackuu 2015-09-24 19:27:39
Link | Citer | R

lol no it isn't.

Makes a lot more sense, I thought you were going Bizzaro for a minute.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-24 19:30:01
Link | Citer | R

lol no it isn't.

Naw, I've been trying out the voice to text on my tablet, which works fairly well for the most part, but every once in a while I miss an error correction.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-09-24 19:36:12
Link | Citer | R

I did enjoy when he said he "was happy to be in the land of the free and the home of the brave"
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-09-24 19:36:45
Link | Citer | R

lol no it isn't.

Naw, I've been trying out the voice to text on my tablet, which works fairly well for the most part, but every once in a while I miss an error correction.

I'd rather bash my head through a wall, would still give me the headache, but at least I'd have a cool hole in my wall.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-24 19:41:10
Link | Citer | R

lol no it isn't.

I'd rather bash my head through a wall, would still give me the headache, but at least I'd have a cool hole in my wall.

I have a lot of trouble seeing the use of a lot of products, so I've decided I need try out everything I have access to and give it a fair chance. You'd be surprised how many seemingly stupid technologies are just a little ahead of their time.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-09-24 19:43:20
Link | Citer | R

Anna Ruthven said: »
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Well apparently, the pope's speech made Boehner cry. Ok then.
Imagine that!

***, I get misty when i hear the music from Mhaura listening to FFXI music when I'm driving. It is a song of sad goodbyes but also new beginnings, looking forward to the unknown and embracing it. But I digress.
By Jetackuu 2015-09-24 19:45:36
Link | Citer | R

You'd be surprised how many seemingly stupid technologies are just a little ahead of their time.

Playonline?

Nut nah, I've rarely seen V2T work well, seems more of a headache than it's worth in most instances. The irony of this is that I support systems that do this very thing, medically.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-24 19:47:37
Link | Citer | R

You'd be surprised how many seemingly stupid technologies are just a little ahead of their time.

Playonline?

Nut nah, I've rarely seen V2T work well, seems more of a headache than it's worth in most instances. The irony of this is that I support systems that do this very thing, medically.

It definitely requires a certain speaking style, but the newer setups that have adaptive learning are workable. I see a use for the technology, even if it's not quite there yet technically speaking. It's definitely slower than typing for me, but when I've got my hands in a machine and I get a message, it's a pretty handy way to take care of it.
First Page 2 3 ... 968 969 970 ... 1375 1376 1377