Random Politics & Religion #00

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 963 964 965 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bismarck.Ihina
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-09-23 13:31:05
Link | Citer | R

I has a question about the pope. Isn't he the guy that's, as I've been taught, "closest to god"?

Can't he just like, ask "Err, hey god, is global warming a thing that's going on?" I imagine he has, right? Would the pope ever come out for global warming when god said it wasn't actually happening? Moral questions is one thing, but factual questions like this, if the pope says it, it's basically straight from god, right?

Since the pope has come out for AGW, doesn't that mean god has too?

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-09-23 13:33:24
Link | Citer | R

By God, I assume you mean Coach Brian Kelly.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-09-23 13:34:24
Link | Citer | R

You're reaching.
Neither the pope nor the Church claim he is in contact with God.

He's just the highest priest, whom people look up to for guidance about its precepts and all that stuff.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-09-23 13:42:58
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
You're reaching.

He's just the highest priest, whom people look up to for guidance about its precepts and all that stuff.

Well that's just what I was taught. I grew up catholic, sunday school, private catholic school, church every week, everything.

That said, why exactly can't the pope just say, "Hey, so we have a pretty big issue down here called AGW. Please advise." and wait for guidance from god?

Would the pope ever go ahead with policy positions that will likely change the whole planet without confirming with certainty from his perspective that it's happening?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-09-23 13:45:06
Link | Citer | R

Cause no one of them claim to be prophets? God doesn't talk to them.

Also Church doesn't always dismiss science.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-23 13:46:02
Link | Citer | R

Cause no one of them claim to be prophets? God doesn't talk to them.

Also Church doesn't always dismiss science.
Lately you mean.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-23 13:47:57
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
You're reaching.

The Pope was declared infallible by the Catholic church something blah blah Jesus gave him this blessing.

So when the Pope speaks to the Catholics he is supposed to be the word of god as well as the authority on god.
Like pretty much every religion out there, the head honcho is supposed to be "closest" to whatever deity they worship.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-09-23 14:02:55
Link | Citer | R

I am not having a good run with having my questions answered this morning.

Anyways, the point is not to show that the church is against science. There have been a couple recent popes that have come out in favor of evolution, for instance. The question has to do more with the conservative base, who claim to love their religion and love the church so much, but they don't really seem to care what the head of their church says.

It all comes back to my 'quest' to discover what conservative principles really are. We've heard that they hold their backwards beliefs because of their faith, but that isn't exactly true if they're so willing to tell the pope to piss off when he says something they don't like.

I would state what I have so far, but that'll for sure get me topic banned.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-23 14:03:46
Link | Citer | R

There seems to be some debate among Catholics as to whether or not a pope is a prophet. Lots of semantics involved, but I figure if the Pope doesn't say it directly then it's probably safe to assume that he doesn't consider himself one. /shrug
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-23 14:04:29
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Ihina said: »

Not one person here is obligated to answer your questions.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-23 14:06:21
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Not one person here is obligated to answer your questions.
Especially bait questions such as his.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-09-23 14:13:33
Link | Citer | R

Anyways, the point is not to show that the church is against science. There have been a couple recent popes that have come out in favor of evolution, for instance. The question has to do more with the conservative base, who claim to love their religion and love the church so much, but they don't really seem to care what the head of their church says.

It all comes back to my 'quest' to discover what conservative principles really are. We've heard that they hold their backwards beliefs because of their faith, but that isn't exactly true if they're so willing to tell the pope to piss off when he says something they don't like.

What a quest in vain.

You know what's vain, going for some ~500m gil town/lockstyle gear.

I'm still interested in both though.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-23 14:16:13
Link | Citer | R

Such passive aggressive posts here now.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-09-23 14:17:43
Link | Citer | R

Well it's better than personal insults aside.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-09-23 14:18:39
Link | Citer | R

@Ihina:
I'm atheist and liberal, I simply consider your questions presented with an incorrect basis, therefore rather meaningless to "lure out conservative dissonance", so to speak.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-23 14:18:50
Link | Citer | R

You are right, I should report any and all personal insults for now on. Maybe it would get rid of several posters who love to do nothing but make insults.
Administrator
Serveur: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-09-23 14:23:38
Link | Citer | R

topic banned.

You've contributed nothing to this thread so far but hostility and insults, so you don't get to contribute any more.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-23 14:31:55
Link | Citer | R

In papal news:

Pope Francis's take in US Politics

Quote:
With the first words that Pope Francis uttered publicly on American soil, he made it clear Wednesday that he does not intend to sidestep the deeply divisive issues that are roiling this country — and indeed, that he plans to fully employ his voice and influence as the spiritual leader of nearly 80 million Roman Catholics in the U.S.

Amid the pageantry of a welcoming ceremony on the White House lawn, the first pope from the Americas introduced himself as “the son of an immigrant family. I am happy to be a guest in this country, which was largely built by such families.”

Coming from a Hispanic pontiff, those words were an unmistakable reference to an issue that has come to dominate much of the race for the 2016 Republican nomination, in which front-runner Donald Trump has vowed to deport the estimated 11 million immigrants who are in this country illegally and revoke the constitutional guarantee of citizenship to anyone born here.

The national spotlight will be fixed firmly on the pope for the next week, as throngs of Americans come out to participate in his tour of the United States, which will include an address Thursday to a joint session of Congress. He was invited there by House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), who is Catholic. In the audience will be at least three of the 15 Republican contenders for president.

In his brief address at the White House, delivered in English, the pope also congratulated President Obama for "proposing an initiative for reducing air pollution. Accepting the urgency, it seems clear to me also that climate change is a problem which can no longer be left to a future generation."

Obama's views and those of the pope on the issue of climate change fall squarely on the liberal side of the political divide.

At the same time, some of the pope's words on other subjects reinforced arguments that are being made by conservatives.

He noted the efforts of American Catholics toward "building a society which is truly tolerant and inclusive, to safeguarding the rights of individuals and communities, and to rejecting every form of discrimination."

Francis added: "They are likewise concerned that efforts to build a just and wisely ordered society respect their deepest concerns and their right to religious liberty. That freedom remains one of America's most precious possessions."

The pope specifically noted that a priority of the U.S. bishops has been "to be vigilant, precisely as good citizens, to preserve and defend that freedom from everything that would threaten or compromise it."

For many American conservatives, the threat has become more urgent with the recent U.S. Supreme Court decision legalizing same-sex marriage, which is anathema to the teaching of the Catholic church and some other religions. Since the Supreme Court decision, there has been concern that faith-based groups that hold fast to traditional teachings could lose their tax-exempt status, though many church lawyers think they are protected.

Francis noted that he will be attending the World Meeting of Families in Philadelphia, "to celebrate and support the institutions of marriage and the family at this, a critical moment in the history of our civilization." Francis has in the past called the rise of gay equality a “new sin against God.”

You know, I respect the man who is probably the most marked for assassination due to his religion for speaking in public. But his viewpoints in foreign politics is about as meaningful as a US citizen going to Italy and making comments about Italian politics...which is basically what he is doing.

No doubt his words have influence, but still...he shouldn't bother with topics that are unfamiliar to him.
 Siren.Mosin
Serveur: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-09-23 14:32:50
Link | Citer | R

direct aggression is against the rules

THE RULES ARE TOO DAMN HIGH!!!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-23 14:33:58
Link | Citer | R

In #boycott news:

Trump to boycott Fox News

Quote:
Donald Trump says he's done appearing on Fox News shows for the "foreseeable future" because he doesn't like the network's coverage of his presidential campaign.
The billionaire businessman and leading Republican candidate tweets that Fox News has been treating him "very unfairly" and that he's stop appearing on its shows.

Trump has been feuding with the network since first GOP primary debate, when he objected to the moderators' questions.

There was a brief detente. But the feud escalated this week, with Trump tweeting and retweeting complaints about the network and hosts, including Megyn Kelly.

Trump has become a constant presence on cable news shows and often phones in to share his thoughts.

A Fox spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-09-23 14:36:57
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
You know, I respect the man who is probably the most marked for assassination due to his religion for speaking in public. But his viewpoints in foreign politics is about as meaningful as a US citizen going to Italy and making comments about Italian politics...which is basically what he is doing.
Climate change and immigration are worldwide topics. What are you talking about?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-23 14:36:59
Link | Citer | R

Yes, if only the Pope touted fiscal conservatism and trickle down. Instead of that greed kills and that governments should take care of their people instead of people all fending for themselves. Then he would be better received.
That and having more modern views on gays than the Republican party doesn't help him.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-23 14:38:18
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Climate change and immigration are worldwide topics. What are you talking about?
Climate change is a worldwide topic. US immigration policies and Supreme Court rulings are not.

Again, his words carry some weight, and I'm not disagreeing with his message, just the delivery.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-09-23 14:38:35
Link | Citer | R

What do you even mean by Conservative?

Why are you even trying to portray me as some religious nut? Have I ever pronounced my own faith, preached in any way or condemned anothers' faith? I am pretty sure the only time I've spoken out against a religious belief is the one where people suicide bomb themselves to kill as many people as they can in order to get to heaven with 72 virgins waiting.

I say live and let live. It is the entire concept of America.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-23 14:39:21
Link | Citer | R

Ihina has been topicbanned Amand.

Don't respond to him anymore.
First Page 2 3 ... 963 964 965 ... 1375 1376 1377