Random Politics & Religion #00

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 956 957 958 ... 1375 1376 1377
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-22 11:40:56
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Half of 28 isn't 5. And it's "very common" to serve a half sentence anyway? I see loads of hearsay and generalizations being spewed out today.

I didn't say 5, I said he could be out as early as his mid 70's. That's about 15 years.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-22 11:45:18
Link | Citer | R

Jassik said: »
Half of 28 isn't 5. And it's "very common" to serve a half sentence anyway? I see loads of hearsay and generalizations being spewed out today.

I didn't say 5, I said he could be out as early as his mid 70's. That's about 15 years.

Nope.

Quote:
Prisoners serving sentences of more than a year but less than life can earn up to 54 days per year off their sentences for good behavior. (18 U.S.C. § 3624(b).)

When you math it out, the bare minimum is close to 24 years.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-09-22 11:46:01
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
It is definitely a tricky situation trying to balance Pharma profits with R&D costs, but this jackwad Martin Shkreli is going about it in the worst way possible.
That jackwad incured no research costs. He bought the drug.
Did you miss our follow-up discussion earlier?
Probably, sorry.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-22 11:49:32
Link | Citer | R

Nope.

Quote:
Prisoners serving sentences of more than a year but less than life can earn up to 54 days per year off their sentences for good behavior. (18 U.S.C. § 3624(b).)

When you math it out, the bare minimum is close to 24 years.

It's 15% per sentenced year. Federal crimes have lower sentences in the "truth in sentencing" model and sentences run concurrently. If a person is convicted of a crime that nets 10 years and a crime that nets 20, they serve 20, not 30. And they are able to earn good behavior credit on both sentences. They're already getting a lower sentence than state or district courts give, they serve them concurrently, and they compound good behavior.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-22 12:02:24
Link | Citer | R

It's 15% per sentenced year. Federal crimes have lower sentences in the "truth in sentencing" model and sentences run concurrently. If a person is convicted of a crime that nets 10 years and a crime that nets 20, they serve 20, not 30. And they are able to earn good behavior credit on both sentences. They're already getting a lower sentence than state or district courts give, they serve them concurrently, and they compound good behavior.

You need to cite the bolded. Compounding good behavior on multiple concurrent sentences would mean that committing multiple crimes as opposed to one would be advantageous, as it could lead to getting you out earlier. That makes no sense.

Edit: Also, concurrent (as opposed to consecutive) sentences aren't guaranteed. It's up to the judge.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-09-22 12:09:52
Link | Citer | R

It's up to the judge.

And we again come circle to the sentencing problem. Mandatory sentencing has its own problems, but the broad range of options and discretion judges have in sentencing at many levels is disturbing.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-22 12:11:30
Link | Citer | R

Ramyrez said: »
It's up to the judge.

And we again come circle to the sentencing problem. Mandatory sentencing has its own problems, but the broad range of options and discretion judges have in sentencing at many levels is disturbing.

Agreed. But I'm still waiting to hear how the guy in question has any means whatsoever to get less than 24 years at this point (barring an appeal).
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-22 12:20:33
Link | Citer | R

You need to cite the bolded. Compounding good behavior on multiple concurrent sentences would mean that committing multiple crimes as opposed to one would be advantageous, as it could lead to getting you out earlier. That makes no sense.

Edit: Also, concurrent (as opposed to consecutive) sentences aren't guaranteed. It's up to the judge.

Correct, concurrent sentences are granted, not entitled. Apparently, good behavior credit is only applied to concurrent sentences if they don't start at the same time. In any case, if the guy serves even 24 years it's still incredibly weak if you consider that 9 cases of voluntary manslaughter would net him an absolute minimum of 27 years (maximum of well over 100) in federal court all by themselves, leave out the 700+ counts of criminal negligence for the people that didn't die and any crimes associated with transporting biohazardous material across state lines, etc. The guy got off incredibly light.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-22 12:25:53
Link | Citer | R

That's almost like saying someone who got 5 life sentences for killing 10 people got off light. I'm putting money on the fact that he dies in prison, which would render the whole thing moot. If not, you can make fun of me in 24-28 years for being wrong.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-22 12:33:12
Link | Citer | R

It's more like saying someone who has been proven to have directly caused the death of 9 people and significant injury to hundreds more getting a sentence well below the absolute minimum for the combined crimes is getting off light. Even if he dies in prison, he's getting off light and more than likely his sentence will be the cause of even more leniency in federal courts.
By Ramyrez 2015-09-22 12:47:52
Link | Citer | R

Pretty sure I'm the one who said 5 years + good behavior.

That was not a specifically-researched comment, however. Point being that one way or the other it seems like there's wiggle room there.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-09-22 12:53:38
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Quote:
"Crappy posts are against the rules...etc.

I see.... A sweeping indictment of every post I ever made...

/points at fonewear

how tall are you foney? I'll have the undertaker get cracking on a pair of pine boxes for us....
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-09-22 12:55:53
Link | Citer | R

If those people can't afford the newly jacked price of this drug then maybe they should work harder, gain new job skills and stop begging for lifesaving handouts. When I was 12 I was already running my own hot dog truck, balancing school while preparing for my unborn puppy and I didn't need my parents or the government to come to my aid.

Leeches. All of 'em. All I see is a CEO once again having to answer for being successful. Because he had an idea that turned out to be a huge boon for his shareholders. You're all just upset you work shitty dead end jobs and can't think past your pre-programmed responses.

As for the peanut butter guys? Bravo. Nothing goes to waste from the plant and keeping customers paying millions trumps a few people who didn't contribute much to society anyway. Boo hoo, bacterial infections? Perhaps your body should work harder.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-09-22 13:21:45
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Quote:
"Crappy posts are against the rules...etc.

I see.... A sweeping indictment of every post I ever made...

/points at fonewear

how tall are you foney? I'll have the undertaker get cracking on a pair of pine boxes for us....

Tall enough to ride on the big people roller coaster rides !
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-09-22 13:22:45
Link | Citer | R

How dare someone not sell their product to me at the price I think is fair!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-22 13:24:35
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
How dare someone not sell their product to me at the price I think is fair!
While R&D for drugs is not cheap, I think that the method they used to get funds for new research isn't fair.

The drug should pay for the cost to research it, not to pay to research new drugs.

But that's me.
By fonewear 2015-09-22 13:27:45
Link | Citer | R

90% of P n R is this:

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-09-22 13:28:36
Link | Citer | R

It's moot, the multiplier and volume of money is irrelevant to his attitudes, it the near Gaul that the market sets the rules instead of his idea of "fairness".
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-09-22 13:29:10
Link | Citer | R

This drug has gone generic meaning the grace period to profit expired quite a while ago. So why are we talking about R&D recoup again?

This CEO has bought up the supply chain and jacked the price to corner a temporary monopoly on his product, a product that has a limited consumer base. Similar schemes have been pulled elsewhere.

Any competitor would take years to get online and wouldn't want to pay the upfront costs on a drug with such a small market and complex manufacturing scheme. By the time they were viable, our CEO would have already made a min and could squish the competition via efficiency.

Gaming the system for that phat loot baby. This CEO is just an open psychopath rather than the veiled ones. I like him.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-22 13:30:11
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
So why are we talking about R&D recoup again?
That's his excuse for jacking the price up 50x..partially.

The additional money is going to be used for current research of the same medicine.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-09-22 13:30:41
Link | Citer | R

That's his excuse for jacking the price up 50x

And I'd take his word why? The drug is generic.
By fonewear 2015-09-22 13:31:04
Link | Citer | R

Let me guess someone is mad cause big pharma kidnapped their sister ?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-22 13:32:07
Link | Citer | R

Doesn't matter tbh.

You asked why we are talking about R&D. I gave you an answer that was reported. Regardless of it being true or not is up to the company that manufactures the drug.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-09-22 13:36:09
Link | Citer | R

This drug has gone generic meaning the grace period to profit expired quite a while ago. So why are we talking about R&D recoup again?

This CEO has bought up the supply chain and jacked the price to corner a temporary monopoly on his product, a product that has a limited consumer base. Similar schemes have been pulled elsewhere.

Any competitor would take years to get online and wouldn't want to pay the upfront costs on a drug with such a small market and complex manufacturing scheme. By the time they were viable, our CEO would have already made a min and could squish the competition via efficiency.

Gaming the system for that phat loot baby. This CEO is just an open psychopath rather than the veiled ones. I like him.

Don't look now but you just made an argument for "de-regulation".
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-22 13:37:12
Link | Citer | R

You do realize that he was being fictitious, right?

Edit: found a good use of the [ rainbow ] tag!
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-22 13:37:25
Link | Citer | R

He was satirizing the existing argument for deregulation.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-09-22 13:38:03
Link | Citer | R

You really want to completely deregulate an industry that has high upfront costs and meticulous methods by which drugs need to be proven 'safe'? Cause I'm sure you'll love when drugs with 'unforunate' side effects pour into the market to make quick profits with little to no accountability.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-09-22 13:39:10
Link | Citer | R

Doesn't matter tbh.

You asked why we are talking about R&D. I gave you an answer that was reported. Regardless of it being true or not is up to the company that manufactures the drug.

The spokesmans answer is ***. This is not an R&D recoup scenario, it's one of monopolizing a limited supply and raising the price to astronomical levels to make profit.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-22 13:43:29
Link | Citer | R

Doesn't matter tbh.

The spokesmans answer is ***. This is not an R&D recoup scenario, it's one of monopolizing a limited supply and raising the price to astronomical levels to make profit.
I rather reserve judgement until we know more to be honest.

I don't agree with the method, but seriously, what can we honestly going to do about it? Other than to buy generic, which is what is going to happen 99.9% of the time.

I'm just reporting what was told. Don't jump down my throat because you didn't like the answer that was given...
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-22 13:44:32
Link | Citer | R

You really want to completely deregulate an industry that has high upfront costs and meticulous methods by which drugs need to be proven 'safe'? Cause I'm sure you'll love when drugs with 'unforunate' side effects pour into the market to make quick profits with little to no accountability.

It's already happening minus the accountability, there is still some of that.
First Page 2 3 ... 956 957 958 ... 1375 1376 1377