Random Politics & Religion #00

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 693 694 695 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Cerberus.Laconic
Serveur: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-06-23 12:55:10
Link | Citer | R

Alright boys and girls.

The south seceded from the north since 6 southern states didn't get to vote in the Abraham Lincoln election which he won with a mere 40% popular vote, of all states that did vote. None of the southern states that did vote gave electoral votes to Lincoln .

That was the final straw to a series of events. The south being taxed more than the north for imports and denied free trade with overseas country's because the north imposed heavy tariffs. "Interesting that the people commenting against the confederate flag want free trade and oppose tariffs" Then we get into nullification and states rights. The south was concerned that the industrialization "that ironically it brought to fruition with the cotton industry" and rapid growth of the north "helped by heavy tariffs" would limit their voice, which it did.

The south knew its army was heavily outnumbered, its manufacturing wasn't even close to the north, and it had a quarter of the railroad miles. The north was producing all the firearms before the war even started.

The Confederate Battle Flag is the ultimate rally cry for the insubmissive rebel that wants his voice to be heard.

Second only to Old Glory.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-23 12:57:07
Link | Citer | R

American women responsible for their own actions?! What bizarre place do you live in?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-23 13:00:44
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Laconic said: »
Rationalizations.

Yeah. And in every single thing you mentioned was the shadow of slavery and racism.

I believe that you, and others for that matter think that there are so many reasons beyond slavery and racism. (I'm not back peddling, but you're going to call it that, so I'll give you a pre-emptive "you're welcome" here.) But I'm sorry, even if it does stand for positive things, it's tainted by one of the biggest stains on this country's history there is, and no amount of revisionism or wishful thinking is going to change that.

Find a better symbol.

Fly a flag of an extended middle finger pointed at Obama, for all I care.

That, at least, you could make a more reasonable argument that it has little to do with race.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-23 13:01:32
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
American women responsible for their own actions?! What bizarre place do you live in?

Somewhat oddly, I don't live on the internet, where sensationalism and extremism rule.

In the real world people are held responsible for their actions all the time. The less money you have, the more responsible you are!
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-23 13:03:16
Link | Citer | R

Enough with your wealth shamming.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-23 13:03:56
Link | Citer | R

Enough with your wealth shamming.

Pffh. I'm protected. I'm not shaming anyone.

I'm just sayin'.

Try getting caught with some rock if you're not a celebrity!
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-23 13:09:46
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
First, I didn't put words in your mouth. I asked a question. See how that works?

Why would it symbolize autonomy? Because it was the flag they flew when they wanted to secede from the union and become autonomous. That's a pretty simple concept to grasp.

They fought and died for in the civil war. The reason for which goes far beyond the umbrella of "slavery". I'd never deny that slavery had context in the civil war, but people who reduce it to that, really don't have any clue as to history.

Being narrow minded isn't generally characterized when people are open to a wide understanding of different interpretations. I understand that some people get offended by oversimplified (and thus narrow minded) symbolism of a flag, I just think it's a pretty dangerous precedent for society to capitulate to such an ill informed mob

You're so funny when you try and make something meaningful out of nothing, it's like watching a bad car salesman sell a car (an insult to counter yours)
I hope you understand that now every time I ask you a question... I shouldn't be surprised you didn't see what I was doing there...

Except losing a civil war doesn't really symbolize autonomy. It could symbolize seccession or not being able to win or follow through on that seccession...

The only clue you seem to provide over and over is that it wasn't all about slavery so it doesn't seem like you know all that much about it and just want people to see you say hey not all about slavery... Slavery may not have been the only reason but it was more than just "having context"

My point is that you're so narrow minded about so many things that you post about on here that it laughable to accuse or even criticize others for doing so. maybe take some of your own advice? Why? because it's not your ill-informed mob demanding something?

What was I trying to make meaningful out of nothing? It wasn't an insult. You are literally very narrow minded on a lot of topics so it is a joke for you to call someone else that. Especially when you call me that in this situation as I'm not even against them keeping it there. The last part of it is what I think. I honestly think that you're so focused on what you think is wrong or right that you ignore the hypocrisy of your statements in favor of your own argument.
I knew what you were trying to do, but wasn't impressed by it. You hardly ever ask questions, you just let out a blanket decree, arguing against what you wanted to hear instead of what I (anyone) actually said.

Why does one have to win a war in order to decide to fly a flag? Why does that matter? Are you suggesting that because it lost it can only be a symbol of loosing or surrender? If so why can't other people interpret it differently?

I understand quite well that there are people to whom the flag is ONLY a symbol of racism. Given that it commonly known as the "rebel" flag, I'm not quite sure the mechanism involved in how people still arrive at their "slavery" edict. I understand they have different interpretations of it. I merely disagree with them. Because I am open minded I accept their opinion as their own, they are allowed to think whatever they want. There are only interpretations ignorant of and with knowledge of history and context. Neither are anymore right or wrong than the other, However, to suggest that because it is offensive to one particular person or group of people it not be permitted (which is what is going on in the media narrative) and be banned from the public square, that is narrow mindedness.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-23 13:09:48
Link | Citer | R

Gotta love this feels revisionist history too.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-06-23 13:12:20
Link | Citer | R

Ramyrez said: »
Clearly not her fault. It's society's fault for putting pressure on her to wear them.
Jetackuu said: »
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Frostwire
Pretty sure this service is still up, but holy ***don't use it.

Mythbusters already tried to warn us this kind of thing was possible in theory. Her fault for not listening!

*burns PA to the ground*
 Shiva.Viciousss
Serveur: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-06-23 13:12:21
Link | Citer | R

That was the final straw to a series of events...

That will go unmentioned, of course!
 Cerberus.Laconic
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-06-23 13:13:00
Link | Citer | R

Rationalizations.
Backpedaling.

You speak of revisionism but have it backwards my misguided friend.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-23 13:13:29
Link | Citer | R

Let Apu explain the causes of civil war.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-23 13:16:43
Link | Citer | R

Works for me, but when I get flak for it I'm saying it was your idea.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-23 13:17:42
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
I'm not quite sure the mechanism involved in how people still arrive at their "slavery" edict.

Then you are severely deficient in deductive reasonging skills.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-23 13:18:00
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Works for me, but when I get flak for it I'm saying it was your idea.

Right on.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-23 13:20:15
Link | Citer | R

Rationalizations.
Backpedaling.

Called it.

But seriously.

The bottom line is that if the South had won, they'd have kept their slavery system, and that alone is all you need to know to associate that flag with that shitstain on this country for all time.
By fonewear 2015-06-23 13:20:31
Link | Citer | R

Let Apu explain the causes of civil war.

Just say slavery could have saved us about 3 pages of discussion !
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-23 13:21:24
Link | Citer | R

[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-23 13:21:53
Link | Citer | R

I want to take over Georgia get me some peaches !

[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-23 13:22:39
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »
I want to take over Georgia get me some peaches !

[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-23 13:24:40
Link | Citer | R

Love the internet first result of Georgia Peach is a pregnant cam girl lol.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-06-23 13:25:12
Link | Citer | R

Confederate Battle Flag

Few union soldiers actually got a chance to see a confederate "battle" flag... they're hard to spot on the ground, trampled by confederate forces that spent most of their time retreating like pansies.

you a~holes have been squawking about how "the south will rise again" for 150 years now and our reply remains the same.

you are more than welcome to try again.

/makes the bring it on gesture
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-23 13:25:47
Link | Citer | R

Love the internet first result of Georgia Peach is a pregnant cam girl lol.

You do know that Google is really smart now, right?

I bet it just knows that's the first thing you wanted to see for that search...
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-23 13:26:38
Link | Citer | R

Guess I haven't cleared the cookies in my browser for a long time !
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-23 13:28:16
Link | Citer | R

It is scary that the internet knows me better than I know myself !
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-23 13:29:20
Link | Citer | R

Guess I haven't cleared the cookies in my browser for a long time !

I'm sure you've got a lot of... cookies... in your browser history.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-23 13:29:46
Link | Citer | R

When I think of the South this comes to mind:

[+]
 Cerberus.Laconic
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-06-23 13:30:32
Link | Citer | R

Rationalizations.
Backpedaling.

Called it.

But seriously.

The bottom line is that if the South had won, they'd have kept their slavery system, and that alone is all you need to know to associate that flag with that shitstain on this country for all time.

You do realize that slavery was dieing a slow death and if the north had not pushed the south all this crap over racism and slavery would more than likely have been over 100yrs ago. The threshing machine and early combine were already starting to become popular right before the cival war. Slavery was quite literally starting to become more of a problem than it was worth.

But the North had to go and do this.

Your reasoning for "all you need to know" is the problem with this country in its current state. People need to stop being told what to think and actually think for themselves.
 Cerberus.Laconic
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-06-23 13:33:48
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Confederate Battle Flag

Few union soldiers actually got a chance to see a confederate "battle" flag... they're hard to spot on the ground, trampled by confederate forces that spent most of their time retreating like pansies.

you a~holes have been squawking about how "the south will rise again" for 150 years now and our reply remains the same.

you are more than welcome to try again.

/makes the bring it on gesture

Your little I guess rant? Brought up a good point. People do not say the south will rise again because they want slaves!

I Win, you all lose. Good day.
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-06-23 13:34:30
Link | Citer | R

Alright boys and girls.

The south seceded from the north since 6 southern states didn't get to vote in the Abraham Lincoln election which he won with a mere 40% popular vote, of all states that did vote. None of the southern states that did vote gave electoral votes to Lincoln .

***, 33 states voted, some chose to leave Lincoln off the ballot. Thats not the same as "not getting to vote."

Quote:
That was the final straw to a series of events. The south being taxed more than the north for imports and denied free trade with overseas country's because the north imposed heavy tariffs. "Interesting that the people commenting against the confederate flag want free trade and oppose tariffs" Then we get into nullification and states rights. The south was concerned that the industrialization "that ironically it brought to fruition with the cotton industry" and rapid growth of the north "helped by heavy tariffs" would limit their voice, which it did.

This is what history teachers call "fluff" and what TA's call bullshitting. No mention of the Wilmot Proviso, the Compromise of 1850, the Kansas-Nebraska Act, Bleeding Kansas, John Brown, Dred Scott, or the term "abolitionist." I guess those things just didn't have any impact.

Quote:
The south knew its army was heavily outnumbered, its manufacturing wasn't even close to the north, and it had a quarter of the railroad miles. The north was producing all the firearms before the war even started.

More fluff. How is this relevant?

Quote:
The Confederate Battle Flag is the ultimate rally cry for the insubmissive rebel that wants his voice to be heard.

No, its not.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 693 694 695 ... 1375 1376 1377