Random Politics & Religion #00

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 650 651 652 ... 1375 1376 1377
By fonewear 2015-06-10 13:38:13
Link | Citer | R

I'll tell you this. If I could afford to hire a teenage girl as a gardener I definitely would have an affair with her !
By Ramyrez 2015-06-10 13:38:45
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
ZOMG! You assumed your teenage daughter like boys! You stereotyping sexist pig, how dare you!
Funny thing is, they're serious Chaosx.

<mental disorder>

In some grand sense it's a bit rude to assume anyone's sexual preference, as it's none of their *** business, but it's not something to get fired up about. We're gradually getting where we need to be as a society.

Some day it won't be an issue.

Also (not to be too repetitive) but you still don't understand the concept of mental disorders.
By fonewear 2015-06-10 13:39:19
Link | Citer | R

ZOMG! You assumed your teenage daughter like boys! You stereotyping sexist pig, how dare you!

<mental disorder>

I believe Michael Savage wrote a book about this !
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-10 13:44:02
Link | Citer | R

Ramyrez said: »

<mental disorder>

In some grand sense it's a bit rude to assume anyone's sexual preference, as it's none of their *** business, but it's not something to get fired up about. We're gradually getting where we need to be as a society.

Some day it won't be an issue.

Also (not to be too repetitive) but you still don't understand the concept of mental disorders.

It's only "rude" if you assume something outside of the protected classes. If people assumed I was gay and I objected to that as being rude, I would be the bigot for having a problem with being seen as gay.

Keep on thinking that's the path to enlightenment.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-10 13:45:58
Link | Citer | R

If people assumed I was gay and I objected to that as being rude, I would be the bigot for having a problem with being seen as gay.
Hence the phrase from Seinfeld, 'not that there's anything wrong with that.' Yet they still objected to being thought of as gay in that episode.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-06-10 13:46:32
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Ergo, stating that a girl would like boys on the basis that she's a girl would be sexist.

So, would it be sexist for me to assume that my wife likes boys? Or is my assumption that she's not secretly bi/lesbian an abomination to you overly-sensitive types?
If you are doing it on the premise that she likes men because she is a girl, then yes. If you are doing it on the premise that she likes men, because she likes men, then no.
The first is a stereotype. The second isn't.

What does abomination or sensitivity have anything to do with it?

Good, you are now fighting my argument for me. The statement in question that you have kept referring to as being "sexist" was a statement from a mother to a daughter. You don't know what their relationship is like. For all you know, the daughter could tell her mother on a regular basis about what boys she likes, which would go with your statement:

Quote:
If you are doing it on the premise that she likes men, because she likes men, then no.

You assumed it was sexist. The mother could have simply based her comment on a liking-boys trend that she noticed in her daughter.
You assumed that the mother knows her daughters sexual and extracurricular interests.

But why would the mother say in a couple of years she'd be interested in watching boys on the weekend if she is talking about boys all the time now? Wouldn't she be interested in "watching boys" now?

Frankly, the statement is probably not accurate on a lot of levels and leaves a lot of context out.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-10 13:48:18
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said: »
But why would the mother say in a couple of years she'd be interested in watching boys on the weekend if she is talking about boys all the time now? Wouldn't she be interested in "watching boys" now?
It's now and in the future. Maybe she thought she was still a little young to peruse those interests. Idk, I'm not familiar with the actual story.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-10 13:48:47
Link | Citer | R

It's only "rude" if you assume something outside of the protected classes. If people assumed I was gay and I objected to that as being rude, I would be the bigot for having a problem with being seen as gay.

I don't think you would be a bigot.

I think it's rude to assume someone's sexuality regardless without a better context.

I mean, for instance, if you go to a known homosexual hangout (gay bar, whatever), and try picking up the opposite sex assuming you've got an equal chance of them being straight. Then you're sort of asking for disappointment.

But if you go to a regular bar and get rebuked by someone because it turns out they're gay, I don't think it's fair of them to be upset at being assumed/hoped straight and I don't think it's offensive that you took a swing hoping they'd swing your way.

*shrug*

Sex is okay. Sexual preferences are okay.

It's only offensive when you get offended because someone doesn't share yours.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-10 13:49:40
Link | Citer | R

If people assumed I was gay and I objected to that as being rude, I would be the bigot for having a problem with being seen as gay.
Hence the phrase from Seinfeld, 'not that there's anything wrong with that.' Yet they still objected to being thought of as gay in that episode.

I'd like to think that was the joke, though it's a bit too far below the surface for many people.
By fonewear 2015-06-10 13:50:50
Link | Citer | R

Speaking of gender confusion let's ask an expert: Miley Cyrus

NSFW alert!!

http://www.papermag.com/2015/06/miley_cyrus_happy_hippie_foundation.php

Also nude pics on site of Miley Cyrus you have been warned !

She says she has come to consider her own sexuality -- even her own gender identification -- fluid. "I am literally open to every single thing that is consenting and doesn't involve an animal and everyone is of age. Everything that's legal, I'm down with. Yo, I'm down with any adult -- anyone over the age of 18 who is down to love me," she says. "I don't relate to being boy or girl, and I don't have to have my partner relate to boy or girl." She says she's had romantic entanglements with women that were just as serious as the ones (Liam Hemsworth, Patrick Schwarzenegger, Nick Jonas) that ended up in Us Weekly. "I've had that," she admits. "But people never really looked at it, and I never brought it into the spotlight."
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-06-10 13:53:45
Link | Citer | R

It's now and in the future. Maybe she thought she was still a little young to peruse those interests. Idk, I'm not familiar with the actual story.
This is the quote

Quote:
It has to do with a generational gap... "I'll give you an example," Seinfeld said. "My daughter's 14. My wife says to her, 'Well, you know, in the next couple of years, I think maybe you're going to want to be hanging around the city more on the weekends, so you can see boys.' And you know what my daughter says? She says, 'That's sexist.'"

Lot's of information and context missing. And this is assuming the conversation actually happened like this.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-10 13:53:58
Link | Citer | R

Google's definition of sexism:

sex·ism
ˈsekˌsizəm/
noun
noun: sexism

prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.

Isn't that sexist?
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-06-10 13:55:47
Link | Citer | R

Yes. It's a stereotype which may or may not be accurate.
By fonewear 2015-06-10 13:56:00
Link | Citer | R

Google's definition of sexism:

sex·ism
ˈsekˌsizəm/
noun
noun: sexism

prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.

Isn't that sexist?

Google is sexist I knew it !
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-10 13:57:34
Link | Citer | R

This is the quote

Quote:
It has to do with a generational gap... "I'll give you an example," Seinfeld said. "My daughter's 14. My wife says to her, 'Well, you know, in the next couple of years, I think maybe you're going to want to be hanging around the city more on the weekends, so you can see boys.' And you know what my daughter says? She says, 'That's sexist.'"

Lot's of information and context missing. And this is assuming the conversation actually happened like this.
Ok, in context and assuming that's what took place, I don't see that as sexist in the least bit. Sounds like an overreaction based on watching too much PC media.

14 is a little young imo, but at that age I was too busy learning math and science to pay attention to girls, except the ones that were also interested, lol.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-10 13:59:21
Link | Citer | R

This is the quote

Quote:

Ok, in context and assuming that's what took place, I don't see that as sexist in the least bit. Sounds like an overreaction based on watching too much PC media.

14 is a little young imo, but at that age I was too busy learning math and science to pay attention to girls, except the ones that were also interested, lol.

14 is too old for me !
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-10 14:01:45
Link | Citer | R

I joked with my last girlfriend that I've had Scotch older than her. She actually laughed I was shocked.

(yes I've had girlfriends shocking I know)

No I'm not on a sex offender list. It was an 18 year old Scotch.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-10 14:02:56
Link | Citer | R

at that age I was too busy learning math and science to pay attention to girls

C'mon bro in 8th-9th grade my spank bank was overflowing with fellow classmates.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-10 14:04:24
Link | Citer | R

This is the quote

Quote:

Didn't care about math and science then don't care about it now !
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-06-10 14:04:41
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »
I joked with my last girlfriend
Woah woah wait, are you sure it was a real gf? I mean, did she know too?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-10 14:05:26
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I joked with my last girlfriend
Woah woah wait, are you sure it was a real gf? I mean, did she know too?

I know a charming young feminist like myself had a few girlfriends. Shocking as it is !

I'm much more agreeable in real life than the Internets. I have an easy going / laissez faire attitude towards life.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-10 14:06:18
Link | Citer | R

C'mon bro in 8th-9th grade my spank bank was overflowing with fellow classmates.
In private, sure, lol. Hence the inclination to study with the girls who were good at math. (Yes they exist)
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-10 14:06:34
Link | Citer | R

Ergo, stating that a girl would like boys on the basis that she's a girl would be sexist.

So, would it be sexist for me to assume that my wife likes boys? Or is my assumption that she's not secretly bi/lesbian an abomination to you overly-sensitive types?
If you are doing it on the premise that she likes men because she is a girl, then yes. If you are doing it on the premise that she likes men, because she likes men, then no.
The first is a stereotype. The second isn't.

What does abomination or sensitivity have anything to do with it?

Good, you are now fighting my argument for me. The statement in question that you have kept referring to as being "sexist" was a statement from a mother to a daughter. You don't know what their relationship is like. For all you know, the daughter could tell her mother on a regular basis about what boys she likes, which would go with your statement:

Quote:
If you are doing it on the premise that she likes men, because she likes men, then no.

You assumed it was sexist. The mother could have simply based her comment on a liking-boys trend that she noticed in her daughter.
Sure, she could have. Or she could have assumed that her daughter like boys. You (nor I) don't have any actual, definitive evidence one way or the other.

We (the indirect observers), don't have enough information to be able to definitively declare that the statement was made solely on the basis of stereotype, or based on knowledge of the daughter's sexual inclinations. If it's made with knowledge of the individuals inclinations, then it isn't stereotypical, and therefore not sexist. If it isn't made with knowledge of the individuals inclinations, and is instead made based on a stereotypical assumption based on gender, then it is sexist.

Quote:

Given the information at hand, it isn't evident that actual knowledge of the daughter's sexual inclination is present. Nor that it isn't present. You have no evidence that it is either way.

In other words, Seinfeld's assertion that his daughter's statement is wrong has the same validity that she was right.

I would argue that given the context at hand, it likely was made without knowledge of the daughter's sexual preferences, and likely made simply due to assuming heterosexuality as normative behavior.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-06-10 14:08:05
Link | Citer | R

Girls go through puberty before boys. Typically in the US between ages 9-11. Most girls that I knew by age 14 (9th grade) had already started dating or exploring their sexuality. But again, that is from my experiences.

If this comment was because she was a girl and not her personally it is a stereotype. If it was based on only personal experience than no, not a stereotype and not sexist. Based on the response by the girl she wasn't amused by the comment.

Gender stereotyping is sexist. It doesn't mean all stereotypes are inaccurate or that they are accurate. They are overall generalizations being applied to an individual.

Just like saying:
All boys want to play football.
All black people like fried chicken
All Asians are good at math.
All Christians are fundamentalists
All liberals have a mental disorder
All conservatives are ***
All teenage girls want to do on the weekend is see boys.
All teenage boys want to do on the weekend is see girls.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-10 14:09:59
Link | Citer | R

No, this is a guy that buried metals in the back yard thinking of the future as a child.

I believe him when he says he was more interested in learning than girls.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-10 14:10:27
Link | Citer | R

Didn't care about math and science then don't care about it now !

We all figured that out already.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-10 14:10:38
Link | Citer | R

Girls go through puberty before boys. Typically in the US between ages 9-11. Most girls that I knew by age 14 (9th grade) had already started dating or exploring their sexuality. But again, that is from my experiences.

If this comment was because she was a girl and not her personally it is a stereotype. If it was based on only personal experience than no, not a stereotype and not sexist. Based on the response by the girl she wasn't amused by the comment.

Gender stereotyping is sexist. It doesn't mean all stereotypes are inaccurate or that they are accurate. They are overall generalizations being applied to an individual.

Just like saying:
All boys want to play football.
All black people like fried chicken
All Christians are fundamentalists
All liberals have a mental disorder
All conservatives are ***
All teenage girls want to do on the weekend is see boys.
All teenage boys want to do on the weekend is see girls.

I see nothing wrong with this stereotype !
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-10 14:10:51
Link | Citer | R

Heterosexuality IS normative behavior in human society..... and there's nothing wrong with that.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-10 14:11:52
Link | Citer | R

I...uh.

*looks around*

Kara, don't insult them. There are Yakuza looking you up right now for challenging this assumption.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-10 14:12:19
Link | Citer | R

heterosexuality as normative behavior
This seems to be the basis of the argument here.

If it's not, why not just inform the person who assumes it that it's not (for that individual) rather than try to force society to change their mentality? That's not progressive in a positive way nor should you expect it to happen overnight with little push back.

The more you force people to change a mentality that goes back thousands of years, the more they will push back.

Just teach people to accept one another, no need to go to such drastic measures on changing how the world and the history of humanity thinks based on biology.
First Page 2 3 ... 650 651 652 ... 1375 1376 1377