Random Politics & Religion #00

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 642 643 644 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-08 16:36:46
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
And I disagree again. You can be smart and seeking adventures. Stop please.

You could argue that is the definition of smart, but you could also argue that a person who illicits that type of attention may be lacking in common sense depending on the setting.
Your values about sexuality are not the same as everyone's. Not to everyone a coitus is life changing choice. So no, looking for short term sexual satisfaction has no correlation with intelligence.

I believe that's almost exactly what I stated.
VIP
By Terraka 2015-06-08 16:36:51
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »
How about a SAT word problem. Sexual attraction is to intelligence as feminism is to ?

I never took the SATs, so... "sexual attraction is to intelligence as feminism is to... religion?"
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-08 16:37:45
Link | Citer | R

Terraka said: »
How about a SAT word problem. Sexual attraction is to intelligence as feminism is to ?

I never took the SATs, so... "sexual attraction is to intelligence as feminism is to... religion?"

I was going to say cult but cult religion same difference !
[+]
 Phoenix.Xantavia
Serveur: Phoenix
user: xantavia
By Phoenix.Xantavia 2015-06-08 16:38:26
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said: »
On this forum we've encountered a variety of differences in education. Off the top if my head:
-People not knowing France was an ally of the US during the American Revolution
-Horrible grammar and spelling from native speakers

Having a baseline would be helpful, and from what I have seen of Core, that is not the right baseline. We also need to stay with something for longer than an election cycle.
I don't get why this is such a terrible idea for some people. It makes perfect sense to me that no matter what high-school you went to, there will be a minimum standard of what was learned. Going into college or the workforce, all graduates will have learned the same things. No objections to certain schools (public or private) going above or beyond. But there is certainly a problem if a graduate up in Maine only has the equivalent of an 8th grade education in Wyoming in regards to math/science/english.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-08 16:38:36
Link | Citer | R

I majored in feminism in college. And all I got was this smug sense of satisfaction !
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Serveur: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-06-08 16:40:38
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Well, it IS sexist. What's the point?

It's sexist for a mom to assume that a 14-year-old girl is going to want to hang around boys more in the near future?
Yes?
It's also sexist for someone to assume that a 14-year-old boy is going to want to hand around girls more in the near future.

Given the probabilities involved, it's likely accurate, but it certainly is stereotyping solely based on gender.

*edit* And what in the heck does it have to do with humor, in any event?
Actually, thank you for perfectly demonstrating what Seinfeld was saying.

It isn't sexist. It is heteronormative.

The use of emotional trigger words to poorly convey ideas is at the heart of why trying to tell jokes to people under the age of 25 is becoming harder and harder. Mind you, college campuses have had hyper-sensitive crusaders-without-a-cause for decades, going back at least to the 60s and probably earlier (I don't feel like poring through stories of school life in Britain in the 1800s right now), but the rise of far-left political correctness has stifled many people's abilities to even perceive a world where something being uncomfortable is ok.

The current trend among a certain subset of people is "If this bothers me personally, it must be eliminated." This is exactly why Millennials get accused of being the "me" generation even though Baby Boomers clearly deserve the title more. Whereas some Boomers feel that everything should be to their own benefit, some Millennials are convinced everything should be to their own liking. Which makes me giggle a little bit given the little *** all buy iPhones (over Androids) that are about as personalizable and configurable as a brick: paint it any color you want, you're not changing anything meaningful.

I personally have a very mixed audience relationship with Doug Stanhope. A lot of what he says makes me laugh, but he says and does a few things that are well within the limits of my personal feeling of offense. As an adult living in the real world, I've learned to accept that not everyone will agree with me. Teenagers today, growing up with Twitter accounts before they have their first pube, are not equipped to tolerate any deviation.

Of course, they're just inheritors of people who came before. I could name about a dozen people on this forum whose only difference from these SJWs (and the many others who share their MO, if not their causes -- Gamergate, for instance, is the same problem from a different angle) is that they continue to hang around this forum being constantly exposed to people with whom they automatically and incontrovertibly disagree.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Serveur: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-06-08 16:43:43
Link | Citer | R

I majored in feminism in college. And all I got was this smug sense of satisfaction !

No wonder you took the SAT instead of the ACT.

Womp. Womp. Wooommmp.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-08 16:45:44
Link | Citer | R

SAT is a good test for those of you that like to take tests. The practical value of the test however... not so much.

I'm pretty sure you can do okay in your life without being the best damn SAT test taker ever.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Serveur: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-06-08 16:57:49
Link | Citer | R

SAT is a good test for those of you that like to take tests. The practical value of the test however... not so much.

I'm pretty sure you can do okay in your life without being the best damn SAT test taker ever.
You'd never know that with how school funding is allocated these days. It's all very strongly based on the endless battery of standardized tests that students are forced to endure from grade school onward.

Seriously, I'm pretty sure every poster in this forum is old enough to say they were lucky to get an actual education, regardless of whether there were gaps. I remember being in high school and there being discussions of how some people are just inherently bad at taking tests like the SAT, but now we force kids to take half a dozen or more of the damned things and punish them as a result, even if they're demonstrably bright but somehow flub when it comes time to pencil in bubbles.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-08 17:07:13
Link | Citer | R

6 pages?! (back read in 4 hours wtf?!)

Nah, I'm just gonna fault Zahrah again.
[+]
By Enuyasha 2015-06-08 17:09:57
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Onorgul said: »

You'd never know that with how school funding is allocated these days. It's all very strongly based on the endless battery of standardized tests that students are forced to endure from grade school onward.

Seriously, I'm pretty sure every poster in this forum is old enough to say they were lucky to get an actual education, regardless of whether there were gaps. I remember being in high school and there being discussions of how some people are just inherently bad at taking tests like the SAT, but now we force kids to take half a dozen or more of the damned things and punish them as a result, even if they're demonstrably bright but somehow flub when it comes time to pencil in bubbles.
I only had to take tests at the end of the year as far as standardized ones go. The ACT was honestly a huge WTF type of thing to me though. Having taken the GEE and LEAP since louisiana tends to pride itself on those two tests alone before College, the ACT being like far more overtly complex than it needed to be (It did not live up to the hype, but the questions on it from an education standpoint made me feel like i had been robbed.) then theres the fact that youre like crammed into a room with other people and you have to sit there and wait for the time to run out like youre being interrogated from like 8 AM to whatever time they let you go doesnt help the experience at all. I think the only things in the math section that i truly wasnt prepared for were the higher algebra and onward questions, which is like a sick joke to try and test someone on something that only a handful of students would know in a district [enter terrible Asian stereotype here].

But yea, education and testing is really disproportionate. Specially if the test is cumulative, oh *** all that.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Raenil
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-06-08 17:12:44
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, because there's no way she's had boyfriends before or made her orientation known. Let's just say that it's pure sexism to even assume the sexual orientation of someone, even if they've told you, because they could be lying. Heaven forbid they even suggest that you hang out with people of the opposite gender either, those insensitive heathens.
Fun fact: some people are confused or in denial of their sexuality (for numerous *** reasons) until after they've done some experimenting.

A woman having dated a guy or two doesn't indicate Heterosexuality. Or even Bisexuality for that matter.

And let's not get into how big of a mess coming out to your friends/family/parents can be.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-08 17:15:42
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Raenil said: »
Yeah, because there's no way she's had boyfriends before or made her orientation known. Let's just say that it's pure sexism to even assume the sexual orientation of someone, even if they've told you, because they could be lying. Heaven forbid they even suggest that you hang out with people of the opposite gender either, those insensitive heathens.
Fun fact: some people are confused or in denial of their sexuality (for numerous *** reasons) until after they've done some experimenting.

A woman having dated a guy or two doesn't indicate Heterosexuality. Or even Bisexuality for that matter.

And let's not get into how big of a mess coming out to your friends/family/parents can be.

Great! Still not sexism.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-06-08 17:23:32
Link | Citer | R

Great! Still not sexism.
Doesn't have to be to be ***.

Congratulations on being right. Sucks you're still defending ***.
By fonewear 2015-06-08 17:26:39
Link | Citer | R

Great! Still not sexism.

How about:

[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-08 17:27:13
Link | Citer | R

I got it I feel this is sexist therefore it is ! No one will ever question my feels I mean I'm a woman !

[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-08 17:28:19
Link | Citer | R

Great! Still not sexism.
Doesn't have to be to be ***.

Congratulations on being right. Sucks you're still defending ***.

Lol. Do you even know what you're arguing against?

"It's not sexism."
"You're right. BUT YOU'RE A BAD PERSON FOR SAYING THAT."
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-08 17:32:33
Link | Citer | R

Well according to a feminist:

[+]
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-06-08 17:33:57
Link | Citer | R

Again, just because sexist was the wrong term, doesn't mean what was said wasn't ***.

If you can't comprehend this, that's on you.
By fonewear 2015-06-08 17:35:37
Link | Citer | R

Caution you or someone you love might harass/troll women online:

TLDW: My feels hurt someone do something !

YouTube Video Placeholder
By fonewear 2015-06-08 17:39:23
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
6 pages?! (back read in 4 hours wtf?!)

Nah, I'm just gonna fault Zahrah again.

I'd say it is worth back reading but it isn't...
By fonewear 2015-06-08 17:40:49
Link | Citer | R

Anyways

TLDR Obama raising wages for the great unwashed !

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/06/barack-obama-overtime-salary-levels-white-house-118688.html?ml=po

he Obama administration is on the verge of possibly doubling the salary levels that would require employers to pay overtime in the most ambitious government intervention on wages in a decade. And it doesn’t need Congress’s permission.

As early as this week, the Labor Department could propose a rule that would raise the current overtime threshold — $23,660 – to as much as $52,000, extending time and a half overtime pay to millions of American workers. The rule has already come under fire from business and Republican opponents who say it will kill jobs and force employers to cut hours for salaried employees.

“The minimum wage they can’t do,” said Bill Samuel, director of legislative affairs for the AFL-CIO. “This is probably the most significant step they can take to raise wages for millions of workers.”

Congressional Republicans are gearing up for a major battle against raising the overtime threshold. The House Education and the Workforce subcommittee will devote much of a scheduled June 10 hearing on federal wage and hour standards to the overtime rule, even if it isn’t yet released. Sen. Lamar Alexander, chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions committee, said the rule—sight unseen—“seems engineered to make it as unappealing as possible to be an employer creating jobs in this country.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-06-08 17:45:13
Link | Citer | R

Hmm, comedian wonders why his act doesn't appeal to young adults who were still shitting their diapers during the time of his peak popularity. The caveat with potentially offensive humor is that it has to be perceived as funny otherwise you simply look like an ***.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-08 17:48:00
Link | Citer | R

Again, just because sexist was the wrong term, doesn't mean what was said wasn't ***.

If you can't comprehend this, that's on you.

You have yet to post why Seinfeld's comment was wrong. You come in raging and swearing and haven't even taken the time to explain what exactly your problem was. If you can't comprehend this, that's on you.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-08 17:54:06
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Hmm, comedian wonders why his act doesn't appeal to young adults who were still shitting their diapers during the time of his peak popularity. The caveat with potentially offensive humor is that it has to be perceived as funny otherwise you simply look like an ***.

If you read the article, Seinfeld mentioned that he doesn't do those kinds of jokes typically because he's not good at them. It was comments from other comedians that convinced him not to do it.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-06-08 17:57:52
Link | Citer | R

Considering you liked Onorgul's post, I figured you were smart enough to figure out what was wrong with what was stated. I clearly figured wrong, and I'm so sorry you couldn't put it together.

To make it explicitly clear: the statement was heteronormative.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-08 18:03:55
Link | Citer | R

Considering you liked Onorgul's post, I figured you were smart enough to figure out what was wrong with what was stated. I clearly figured wrong, and I'm so sorry you couldn't put it together.

Okay, I can approach you on your level. Because you're so inferior, and I just assumed you would've gotten the picture already... /hairflip... that people who come out of nowhere screaming at other posters would at least have the common decency to state an actual argument.

Now explain to me why I'm supposed to be up in arms and super angry that a comedian would make a statement that, *shock*, is heteronormative of all things.

Oh the humanity!

[+]
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-06-08 18:07:33
Link | Citer | R

You literally liked the post correcting it. Sorry for assuming you're smarter than you are. Did you think I didn't read ***before posting?

And no, because you clearly don't give a ***and nothing I say will sway you. Humanity should focus on more important things, after all. No time for that multitasking nonsense.

Oh look at that, I even read ***even further back than a few pages.
By Enuyasha 2015-06-08 18:08:47
Link | Citer | R

Okay, I can approach you on your level. Because you're so inferior, and I just assumed you would've gotten the picture already... /hairflip... that people who come out of nowhere screaming at other posters would at least have the common decency to state an actual argument.

Now explain to me why I'm supposed to be up in arms and super angry that a comedian would make a statement that, *shock*, is heteronormative of all things.

Oh the humanity!

[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-08 18:12:47
Link | Citer | R

You literally liked the post correcting it. Sorry for assuming you're smarter than you are. Did you think I didn't read ***before posting?

And no, because you clearly don't give a ***and nothing I say will sway you. Humanity should focus on more important things, after all. No time for that multitasking nonsense.

Oh look at that, I even read ***even further back than a few pages.

I wish I had a reason to assume any intelligence on your behalf.

Onorgul wasn't correcting Seinfeld, he was correcting the people who were arguing against Seinfeld. He was actually backing Seinfeld up by saying that what his wife said wasn't sexist (like Milamber was implying) but instead was heteronormative. Try again.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 642 643 644 ... 1375 1376 1377