Random Politics & Religion #00

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 300 301 302 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Serveur: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-02-19 11:53:19
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
If you have a problem with the candidate, you attack them at their viewpoints, not on how much they are worth.

This. So much this. There were a lot of legitimate concerns with Romney, but attacking him because he was privately wealthy and successful was idiotic and has to be one of the stupidest reasons to not vote for somebody.
They usually always bring those attacks on themselves.

In a perfect world an election would be about what that candidate can and is willing to do for you but in reality it's more like a popularity contest with a political baseline. Things like religious affiliation still play a role. Personal indescretions seems to play a bigger role in taking politicians down than anything else.

You lied about not raising taxes and being able to keep any promises you made to get elected? Well I guess that's ok and we accept it as the standard for politicians and in some cases it's understandable as you have to work with a bunch of other people to get anythign done.... on the other hand stuf like "You cheated on your wife?!?!?!?!" Crucify him!
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-02-19 11:58:50
Link | Citer | R

They should just host a Presidential version of The Apprentice.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-02-19 12:03:34
Link | Citer | R

They should take money out of it completely.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Serveur: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-02-19 12:16:10
Link | Citer | R

If you have a problem with the candidate, you attack them at their viewpoints, not on how much they are worth.

This. So much this. There were a lot of legitimate concerns with Romney, but attacking him because he was privately wealthy and successful was idiotic and has to be one of the stupidest reasons to not vote for somebody.
Problem: a candidate who isn't independently wealthy may have better viewpoints but they're unlikely to be heard because he can't buy the attention.

The two problems are intertwined.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-02-19 12:16:34
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
They should just host a Presidential version of The Apprentice Hunger Games.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-02-19 12:43:24
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Problem: a candidate who isn't independently wealthy may have better viewpoints but they're unlikely to be heard because he can't buy the attention. The two problems are intertwined.

True, but when it's one rich guy with rich donors running against another slightly more independently rich guy with rich donors, it shouldn't even be an issue.
[+]
 Bismarck.Leneth
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2015-02-19 12:45:37
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
"Greece is smart, but not putting enough effort. Come back next semester."
^^ nice metapher

I'll follow the idea but change the wording a bit "If you keep bringing philosophy books to math classes you better change your courses next semester/drop out of University"
By fonewear 2015-02-19 12:50:43
Link | Citer | R

You know what Greece has going for it Baklava !
(honey filo and nuts)
There is a Greek food festival every summer near me. The food is pretty damn good.

Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-19 12:58:07
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
It should be fairly straightforward to run an analysis for relative campaign funding against success rates, if the funding information for the campaigns is available.
You are going to get a correlation in that case. But it still stands to fact that the people are the one's who vote, not the dollar bills used to influence people to vote.

People keep saying that money buys votes. Where's my check?

Regarding funding/fraud, place your thresholds for participation, with progressive/tiered runoffs. If you need to
That's not an effective control. Sure, it will bring the 200 participants down to a handful, but it still won't stem the amount per candidate spent, which is what Jassik is alluding to.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-02-19 13:42:09
Link | Citer | R

Quote:

Kim Jong Un has an amazing new haircut. We have many, many questions
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-02-19 13:44:29
Link | Citer | R

Oh God, where in Pyongyang are his sideburns.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-02-19 13:46:32
Link | Citer | R

Eyebrows are trimmed on both sides too, lol.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-02-19 13:50:46
Link | Citer | R

Well I just got that haircut maybe I can be a dictator !
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-02-19 13:53:20
Link | Citer | R

It's just as stupid to vote for someone because they are privately wealthy and successful as it is to vote against them.

Now, *how* they went about acquiring that wealth... that's a different story.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-02-19 13:55:17
Link | Citer | R

Regarding funding/fraud, place your thresholds for participation, with progressive/tiered runoffs. If you need to
That's not an effective control. Sure, it will bring the 200 participants down to a handful, but it still won't stem the amount per candidate spent, which is what Jassik is alluding to.
It limits risk exposure. It also puts strict limits on how long the damn campaign goes on for.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-02-19 13:55:46
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Eyebrows are trimmed on both sides too, lol.

Don't bash it till you try it !
By fonewear 2015-02-19 13:57:32
Link | Citer | R

Kim at Old Country Buffet:

By fonewear 2015-02-19 14:04:08
Link | Citer | R

It's just as stupid to vote for someone because they are privately wealthy and successful as it is to vote against them.

Now, *how* they went about acquiring that wealth... that's a different story.

Oh no Romney is rich he should have given all his money away then he would be as pure as white snow me brothers !
By fonewear 2015-02-19 14:07:31
Link | Citer | R

I'm sure Hillary will run on "the struggle" of not being able to afford mortgages own her multiple homes.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Serveur: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-02-19 14:25:27
Link | Citer | R

Only people who make that excuse is when the guy you voted for lost and you have to justify why they lost.

Nobody bought an election in the United States, people just use that excuse to justify the fact that the better person for the job won that election (in most cases). If you have a problem with the candidate, you attack them at their viewpoints, not on how much they are worth.

That's a fallacy, most of the people I voted for won, and in most cases, it's because they spent the most.

Elections are very much bought by interest groups funded by the ultra-rich. Campaign records are now less transparant then ever thanks to Citizens United, but the totals spent are a matter of public record and easily confirmed.

Do you think that the money we spend on the Defense budget is worthless? Do you think part of it is worthless? How much would you see is reasonable for the Defense Budget, and how would you get to that amount? Where would you take the money away from the Defense Budget and why do you think it is reasonable to do so?

Worthless? Not at all, but if you are so worried about runaway spending in some sectors, defense being one of the largest parts of our budget should be a concern.

Do you honestly think it's going to be just a couple hundred million a year? It's going to be a whole lot more per candidate and you are going to have more than 2 candidates to support. Last I checked there's a couple of hundred "potential" candidates. If we use the amounts that Romney and Obama used in 2014, that's about 1 billion dollars each. Now we are looking at $200 billion dollars from the General Fund. Or 1/5 of the Defense Budget.

How much of that money is going to be accountable? Fraud is going to run rampant in a public funded campaign fund system.....

My response to this has 4 parts.

1. Setting a fixed budget for campaigns based on the number of people running with above a threshold of viability caps the cost.

2. Providing a limited and free amount of TV and radio advertising, similar to how PSA's are delivered, takes a significant amount of cost out of the campaign by removing primetime advertising rates from the equation. It also keeps candidates from simply hiring an army of door-knockers to get their name in people's minds. Simple name and party recognition have been shown to equate to votes a staggering amount of the time.

3. Giving a candidate a fixed budget and even-footing is something of an on-the-job interview. Give them a chance to show us what they can do with a limited amount of money and time. For all the people that have concerns about how the media vets candidates, giving them a stage to prove they can actually function as an executive should be welcomed.

4. It puts emphasis on how they utilize their exposure. Traveling from city to city to give the same stump speech with the same tired rhetoric is costly and only serves to create sound-bites. If candidates are given limited opportunities to speak in a public forum, they'll have an actual plan they can explain instead of just "poor people need help" or "wealth redistribution". They'd have to have a stance on subjects and be able to stand up to critical analysis.

And, to be clear, I'm talking about national elections, states would have the right to elect however they choose.
By fonewear 2015-02-19 14:28:06
Link | Citer | R

You can tout campaign finance reform all you want my eyes will just glaze over.

I don't care how much it costs to be President. I just want someone that will lead not blame the previous President for all their problems.

The only thing Hillary could lead are the Girl Scouts.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-02-19 14:37:05
Link | Citer | R

Let's be clear, I'm not talking about candidate's wealth, they rarely contribute any personal money toward campaigns, I'm talking about the ability of a select few ultra-wealthy citizens and their companies to contribute unlimited amounts of money to candidates secretly and drastically sway the outcomes of elections by simply out-spending candidates.
By fonewear 2015-02-19 15:19:06
Link | Citer | R

Wal Mart is giving their employees a raise those greedy pigs !

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/19/us-walmartstores-results-idUSKBN0LN1BD20150219

My boycott of Wal Mart continues that will keep them from making a profit !

I don't think 9/hr is enough should be 30 dollars an hour.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-02-19 15:23:03
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/19/us-walmartstores-results-idUSKBN0LN1BD20150219

It's mostly a publicity move. Wal-Mart's pay scale is one of their more visible but hardly their biggest problem when it comes to ethics.
By fonewear 2015-02-19 15:23:38
Link | Citer | R

Those greedy fat cats how dare they raise wages. I demand more and more and more !

Time to shop somewhere they don't care about a profit like Whole Foods.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-19 15:25:04
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Jassik said: »
That's a fallacy, most of the people I voted for won, and in most cases, it's because they spent the most.

Elections are very much bought by interest groups funded by the ultra-rich. Campaign records are now less transparant then ever thanks to Citizens United, but the totals spent are a matter of public record and easily confirmed.
So, where's my check that was supposed to have been bought? Seriously, according to you, I'm due a check.

Wait, does that mean you are wrong? What else is new?

Odin.Jassik said: »
My response to this has 4 parts.

1. Setting a fixed budget for campaigns based on the number of people running with above a threshold of viability caps the cost.

2. Providing a limited and free amount of TV and radio advertising, similar to how PSA's are delivered, takes a significant amount of cost out of the campaign by removing primetime advertising rates from the equation. It also keeps candidates from simply hiring an army of door-knockers to get their name in people's minds. Simple name and party recognition have been shown to equate to votes a staggering amount of the time.

3. Giving a candidate a fixed budget and even-footing is something of an on-the-job interview. Give them a chance to show us what they can do with a limited amount of money and time. For all the people that have concerns about how the media vets candidates, giving them a stage to prove they can actually function as an executive should be welcomed.

4. It puts emphasis on how they utilize their exposure. Traveling from city to city to give the same stump speech with the same tired rhetoric is costly and only serves to create sound-bites. If candidates are given limited opportunities to speak in a public forum, they'll have an actual plan they can explain instead of just "poor people need help" or "wealth redistribution". They'd have to have a stance on subjects and be able to stand up to critical analysis.
1)Fixed budgets are nice, but this is the government we are talking about. There are no fixed budgets associated with any agency, they are just told "Here's your budget, try not to spend more than that" but almost always goes over.

2)Why not just have the federal government take over television and other media outlets? You are basically forcing your will on them, telling them what they can or cannot show (by forcing campaign ads on them).

3)Who's going to determine if they are the right person for the job? Are you now taking that determination away from the voters and putting that power in a group of people? You know, there is a political system just exactly what you are proposing.....

4)Now you want to control how they get the message out. What's next, control who's able to run for office? Are you going to put a wealth threshold now?

Tell me, are you really Lordgrim?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-19 15:26:20
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »

Don't worry, they are going to cut hours even more so the person is actually earning less now than before.

You thought the 28 hour workweek is bad, welcome to the 24 hour workweek.
By fonewear 2015-02-19 15:29:47
Link | Citer | R

I'm sure people will *** it's the human condition. They could pay them 30 dollars an hour and people would complain.

Being and ungrateful d bag is the American way !
By fonewear 2015-02-19 15:32:06
Link | Citer | R

I'm not pro Wal Mart.

I just find it funny that the same people wanting a raise get it then *** it isn't 15 or 20 bucks an hour.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 ... 300 301 302 ... 1375 1376 1377