Random Politics & Religion #00

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 276 277 278 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-13 08:30:19
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Identity Theft through Internal Revenue Service will most likely increase by 262% this year compared to last year

Quote:
Good news for tax thieves! Their income is estimated to go up 262 percent this year, from a mere $5.8 billion to $21 billion in stolen tax returns. Federal auditors just ranked the Internal Revenue Service’s ability to combat identity theft and fraudulent tax returns as one of the top weaknesses in the government.

The Government Accountability Office on Wednesday released this year’s edition of the agency’s “High Risk List” – which details the most vulnerable areas in the federal government for waste, fraud and abuse. A new addition this year is the IRS’s effort to weed out identity theft and tax fraud at a time when the problem is becoming more prevalent.

In the first half of 2014, The Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) reported that 1.6 million taxpayers were affected by identity theft – compared to just 271,000 in 2010. The increase is likely attributed to the uptick in electronic filing. Although this option is convenient for taxpayers, it’s also easier for fraudsters to file fraudulent returns at a faster clip.

The IRS paid out more than $5.8 billion in fraudulent refunds related to identity theft during the 2013 filing season. The agency investigated at least 1500 cases of identity theft during that same time period. Since then, the IRS has been ramping up efforts to combat identity theft, but it still remains a serious problem.

In August, the GAO called it an “evolving threat, one that imposes a serious financial and emotional toll on honest taxpayers and threatens the integrity of the tax administration system.”

The IRS is certainly no stranger to the GAO’s High Risk List – its tax enforcement efforts have been called a weakness every year since 1990. The GAO credits that to the widening tax gap (the difference between taxes owed and taxes paid), which was some $385 billion the last time data was available, according to the report.

The heightened identity theft threat comes as the IRS is reeling from massive budget cuts. IRS Commissioner John Koskinen has routinely warned that the $346 million in cuts will hamper the agency’s ability to do its job this year, including enforcing 40 new provisions under Obamacare as well as combating identity theft and handling its customer service responsibilities.

Still, the IRS says it’s committed to preventing fraud. One way of doing this is issuing identity protection “pins” to victims that they can use to file future tax returns. The GAO says more needs to be done to catch tax thieves in the first place.

So, it's ok for the IRS to police people for having health insurance, but nobody is addressing the real problem with IRS: security and identity theft.
More money in fraud from the banks, IRS, to the government.
Not sure if you are serious or not...

The money is being taken away from IRS to a 3rd party using somebody else's name. IRS "thinks" (which is always a laugh) that the money was refunded to the person on the account. The person has no idea what's going on. The 3rd party gets the money and disappears until the next person is targeted.

There are 2 known and used scams involving ID theft with the IRS: EITC fraud and Estimated Payment fraud. Both are easy to catch, both require a little thought process by IRS, both that IRS fails to catch.

EITC fraud: Fraudster filed an EITC credit return using 3 children as dependents, those dependents are either not on the first page of 1040 (go figure, a process check!) or using fictitious SSN (go figure, another process check!). The IRS issues a refundable credit to the person who's address changed or bank account is different from before (usually both at the same time, which should be an obvious red flag) and doesn't bother to check previous records. This happens mostly when the taxpayer waits until the last minute to file.

Estimated Payment fraud: Fraudster obtains information of a taxpayer who pays estimated quarterly tax payments of large sums and filed a zero-tax-due or a greatly reduced tax-due return and gets the refund back (again, at a different address and/or bank account). IRS doesn't check historical records to verify the type of investments or the amounts historically reported (fraudsters generally do not have prior year tax returns, so they don't know the historical interest/dividends/capital gains amounts, nor any carryovers, which should also be a red flag, especially in the case of capital loss carryovers), they also do not check on any K-1s issued (if any at the time of the fraudulent filing, generally because the business returns haven't been filed yet, another red flag!), or even compare the fraudulent return against the previous return. In most cases, they don't even verify if the W-2 information is entered in (another red flag), but the tax withheld is already credited in the taxpayer's account, so not only do the estimated tax payments get refunded, but the W-2 withholdings do too!

And now IRS has a bigger headache (thanks to Obamacare) with less people to check these things (again, thanks to Obamacare), so that's why ID theft is going to be prevalent this year.
By Ramyrez 2015-02-13 08:33:08
Link | Citer | R

And now IRS has a bigger headache (thanks to Obamacare) with less people to check these things (again, thanks to Obamacare), so that's why ID theft is going to be prevalent this year.

Sounds to me like it's less like it's the fault of the ACA and more the fault of the IRS/government in general not working efficiently or hiring enough people for the job.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-02-13 09:00:21
Link | Citer | R

Ramyrez said: »
I just don't understand why the average American gives a damn

Well you see Ramy, the problem is... for longer than anyone cares to remember the press has been crying for freedom. Freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom to not wear any pants behind their desks, freedom to get drunk on the air... The "average american" put up with it because they believed all the press wanted to do was "REPORT THE TRUTH" and, as it turned out, that wasn't the case at all.

Somewhere along the way the press decided it was their duty, job, responsibility etc. to create the news and tell us how to feel about it rather than just report it.

The brian williams story is a perfect example of this.

The News YOU watch reported the story and told you it was no big deal and not to worry about it, it was a little white lie that hurt nobody who cares get over it. and the news someone else watched told them it was vitally important and they should grab their pitchforks and torches and dunk him in tar and cover him in chicken feathers.

And in this microwave burrito takes too long world nobody has the time any more to think for themselves. they would rather glance down at their phone and let it tell them how to feel about it.

Myself, /looks down at phone

I'm joining the "Tar and Feather" side only because I would really like to see that done to a guy. I could care less if he makes 10 million dollars a year perverting the truth he looks damn good on television doing it. But we should still chase him down the street with rocks and bottles for being a douche.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-02-13 09:18:30
Link | Citer | R

I "get" all of that. I just...meh. I'm talking a few steps removed I guess.

Even beyond why people bother watching nightly news anymore because it's an outdated mode of information conveyance...

Why do people let themselves be spoonfed beliefs like that?

I guess it's just "easier"...
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-02-13 09:28:46
Link | Citer | R

I "get" all of that. I just...meh. I'm talking a few steps removed I guess. Even beyond why people bother watching nightly news anymore because it's an outdated mode of information conveyance... Why do people let themselves be spoonfed beliefs like that? I guess it's just "easier"...

I don't think people realize that they're being spoonfed. I'm not calling you out per se, but I've seen plenty of people who take in spoonfed propaganda but accuse others of doing the same. Maybe people just don't realize that propaganda is still propaganda even if they believe in it?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-13 09:39:39
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I "get" all of that. I just...meh. I'm talking a few steps removed I guess. Even beyond why people bother watching nightly news anymore because it's an outdated mode of information conveyance... Why do people let themselves be spoonfed beliefs like that? I guess it's just "easier"...

I don't think people realize that they're being spoonfed. I'm not calling you out per se, but I've seen plenty of people who take in spoonfed propaganda but accuse others of doing the same. Maybe people just don't realize that propaganda is still propaganda even if they believe in it?
The bigger issue with that is that they are taking the spoonfed propaganda and either not understanding it or not questioning it correctly.

Not reading between the lines is a skill that's not being taught in most school systems (as there isn't a test associated with it) and it is a skill being lost in today's society. Which is sad and dangerous because it creates people like Lordgrim who cannot figure out for the life of him that he is replacing one spoon with another.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-02-13 09:42:17
Link | Citer | R

The bigger issue with that is that they are taking the spoonfed propaganda and either not understanding it or not questioning it correctly.

Not reading between the lines is a skill that's not being taught in most school systems (as there isn't a test associated with it) and it is a skill being lost in today's society. Which is sad and dangerous because it creates people like Lordgrim who cannot figure out for the life of him that he is replacing one spoon with another.
I remember once, in a galaxy far, far away...

That students used to be taught to cross-check their references and materials when making a claim... any claim, and most particularly, bold claims when trying to form an argument or debate topic.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-02-13 09:43:25
Link | Citer | R

There are talking points on both sides of the spectrum I agree with on various issues, and some of them are the "party lines" that get "fed", but I can in just about all cases explain the background of my feelings on any given topic.

But yeah. There are people -- here, but everywhere else too -- who just regurgitate standard points for issues ad nauseam because that's all they've ever paid attention to; what they've been told.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-02-13 09:47:30
Link | Citer | R

What I find even more intriguing is the tendency nowadays to place the burden of proof on the one arguing against the claim instead of the one making it. I can't count the number of times in these forums alone that I've been told that the facts are out there and I just have to "look them up", only to discover that I can't find them anywhere but it's still all my fault for not doing hours of digging to verify somebody else's claim.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-02-13 09:48:58
Link | Citer | R

What I find even more intriguing is the tendency nowadays to place the burden of proof on the one arguing against the claim instead of the one making it. I can't count the number of times in these forums alone that I've been told that the facts are out there and I just have to "look them up", only to discover that I can't find them anywhere but it's still all my fault for not doing hours of digging to verify somebody else's calim.

[+]
By fonewear 2015-02-13 09:50:36
Link | Citer | R

The whole citation needed is the dumbest thing I see around. Not everything is a research paper.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-13 09:50:38
Link | Citer | R

Bloodrose said: »

I remember once, in a galaxy far, far away...

That students used to be taught to cross-check their references and materials when making a claim... any claim, and most particularly, bold claims when trying to form an argument or debate topic.
That ship sailed in the final frontier...

Mr. Sulu, engage!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-13 09:51:59
Link | Citer | R

What I find even more intriguing is the tendency nowadays to place the burden of proof on the one arguing against the claim instead of the one making it. I can't count the number of times in these forums alone that I've been told that the facts are out there and I just have to "look them up", only to discover that I can't find them anywhere but it's still all my fault for not doing hours of digging to verify somebody else's claim.
It is prevalent with 3 posters, two of which cannot be named because by doing so will end up as "harassing" them and result in a temp/topic ban.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-02-13 09:55:10
Link | Citer | R

Identity Theft through Internal Revenue Service will most likely increase by 262% this year compared to last year

Quote:
Good news for tax thieves! Their income is estimated to go up 262 percent this year, from a mere $5.8 billion to $21 billion in stolen tax returns. Federal auditors just ranked the Internal Revenue Service’s ability to combat identity theft and fraudulent tax returns as one of the top weaknesses in the government.

The Government Accountability Office on Wednesday released this year’s edition of the agency’s “High Risk List” – which details the most vulnerable areas in the federal government for waste, fraud and abuse. A new addition this year is the IRS’s effort to weed out identity theft and tax fraud at a time when the problem is becoming more prevalent.

In the first half of 2014, The Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) reported that 1.6 million taxpayers were affected by identity theft – compared to just 271,000 in 2010. The increase is likely attributed to the uptick in electronic filing. Although this option is convenient for taxpayers, it’s also easier for fraudsters to file fraudulent returns at a faster clip.

The IRS paid out more than $5.8 billion in fraudulent refunds related to identity theft during the 2013 filing season. The agency investigated at least 1500 cases of identity theft during that same time period. Since then, the IRS has been ramping up efforts to combat identity theft, but it still remains a serious problem.

In August, the GAO called it an “evolving threat, one that imposes a serious financial and emotional toll on honest taxpayers and threatens the integrity of the tax administration system.”

The IRS is certainly no stranger to the GAO’s High Risk List – its tax enforcement efforts have been called a weakness every year since 1990. The GAO credits that to the widening tax gap (the difference between taxes owed and taxes paid), which was some $385 billion the last time data was available, according to the report.

The heightened identity theft threat comes as the IRS is reeling from massive budget cuts. IRS Commissioner John Koskinen has routinely warned that the $346 million in cuts will hamper the agency’s ability to do its job this year, including enforcing 40 new provisions under Obamacare as well as combating identity theft and handling its customer service responsibilities.

Still, the IRS says it’s committed to preventing fraud. One way of doing this is issuing identity protection “pins” to victims that they can use to file future tax returns. The GAO says more needs to be done to catch tax thieves in the first place.

So, it's ok for the IRS to police people for having health insurance, but nobody is addressing the real problem with IRS: security and identity theft.
More money in fraud from the banks, IRS, to the government.
Not sure if you are serious or not...

The money is being taken away from IRS to a 3rd party using somebody else's name. IRS "thinks" (which is always a laugh) that the money was refunded to the person on the account. The person has no idea what's going on. The 3rd party gets the money and disappears until the next person is targeted.

There are 2 known and used scams involving ID theft with the IRS: EITC fraud and Estimated Payment fraud. Both are easy to catch, both require a little thought process by IRS, both that IRS fails to catch.

EITC fraud: Fraudster filed an EITC credit return using 3 children as dependents, those dependents are either not on the first page of 1040 (go figure, a process check!) or using fictitious SSN (go figure, another process check!). The IRS issues a refundable credit to the person who's address changed or bank account is different from before (usually both at the same time, which should be an obvious red flag) and doesn't bother to check previous records. This happens mostly when the taxpayer waits until the last minute to file.

Estimated Payment fraud: Fraudster obtains information of a taxpayer who pays estimated quarterly tax payments of large sums and filed a zero-tax-due or a greatly reduced tax-due return and gets the refund back (again, at a different address and/or bank account). IRS doesn't check historical records to verify the type of investments or the amounts historically reported (fraudsters generally do not have prior year tax returns, so they don't know the historical interest/dividends/capital gains amounts, nor any carryovers, which should also be a red flag, especially in the case of capital loss carryovers), they also do not check on any K-1s issued (if any at the time of the fraudulent filing, generally because the business returns haven't been filed yet, another red flag!), or even compare the fraudulent return against the previous return. In most cases, they don't even verify if the W-2 information is entered in (another red flag), but the tax withheld is already credited in the taxpayer's account, so not only do the estimated tax payments get refunded, but the W-2 withholdings do too!

Banks still get there money. IRS/government goes after the banks (fines) to get their money. And a lot more than if they went after the individual. If they caught these people they would be fined (good luck collecting) and sent to jail. Why do that when you can just fine somebody like HSBC a few billion instead?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-13 09:57:17
Link | Citer | R

Banks still get there money. IRS/government goes after the banks (fines) to get their money. And a lot more than if they went after the individual. If they caught these people they would be fined (good luck collecting) and sent to jail. Why do that when you can just fine somebody like HSBC a few billion instead?
The money in those banks are not the bank's property.

IRS can put a hold on that property and force the bank to turn it over to the IRS as "evidence," but the banks do not own the money.

What you are talking about is something completely different.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-02-13 09:57:56
Link | Citer | R

What you are talking about is something completely different.
Yeah I sorta just realized that, lol.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-13 09:58:32
Link | Citer | R

It's all good.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-02-13 10:01:03
Link | Citer | R

Your beef is with the IRS not doing their jobs properly, mine is with the regulators doing the same, and usually worse.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-02-13 10:01:18
Link | Citer | R

But yeah. There are people -- here, but everywhere else too -- who just regurgitate standard points for issues ad nauseam because that's all they've ever paid attention to; what they've been told.

after more than forty years of people shaking me and screaming at me about how I have to jump out of my couch right now because this thing is the most vitally important thing to ever happen in the history of everything and if we don't do something immediately the whole world is going to implode...the cold war nuclear disarmament cuban missle crisis hide under your desk when the radiation sirens go off and don't look directly at the bright white bomb light through the ozone hole because that will cause global freezing and new ice age nuclear winter cfc's ddt gmo cia fbi nsa epa global warming global climate change new coke weapons of mass destruction global terror mission creep too big to fail banks collapse food insurance the world is going to end we're all going to die carbon dioxide is at critical mass you can help by turning the water off when you brush your teeth...

sooner or later you learn it's far better to just sleep through all the noise of the party and clean up whatever is left standing when it's over.

/naps
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-13 10:05:40
Link | Citer | R

Your beef is with the IRS not doing their jobs properly, mine is with the regulators doing the same, and usually worse.
My beef is all of the government not doing their jobs right and efficient.

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
/naps
Good, the chloroform is working!
[+]
By fonewear 2015-02-13 10:10:20
Link | Citer | R

See the reason we have elected officials is so we don't have to think all the time !
By Bloodrose 2015-02-13 10:12:10
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »
See the reason we have elected officials is so we don't have to think all the time !
replace "elected officials" with "non-sourced youtube videos"
[+]
By fonewear 2015-02-13 10:14:36
Link | Citer | R

Youtube videos will replace books in the near future.

The anti reading lobby is strong.
By fonewear 2015-02-13 10:38:36
Link | Citer | R

That kid got bosoms !

"Don't make me run I'm full of chocolate"

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-02-13 11:11:41
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
The Indian government is "extremely disturbed" by the treatment of a 57-year-old grandfather from that country who was severely roughed up by police while walking in a suburban neighborhood in Alabama, a spokesman said Friday.

Syed Akbaruddin, a spokesman for India's External Affairs Ministry, said the government took the incident "very seriously" and was in contact with the U.S. mission in New Dehli.

The government also will contact officials in Washington and Alabama, Akbaruddin said in response to reporters' questions in New Dehli about the treatment of Sureshbhai Patel in the city of Madison.

"What we will communicate is that we are extremely disturbed," he said. "This is a matter of concern for us, and India and the U.S. as open pluralist societies need to address these issues and find ways in a mature manner so that these are aberrations and are not the norm."

Madison police officer Eric Parker was arrested and is being fired after Patel was slammed to the ground and injured while visiting relatives in the town. An attorney for Patel said the man suffered partial paralysis in the incident but hopes for a full recovery.

The officer has not commented publicly and court records are not yet available to show whether he has a lawyer.

Police stopped Patel while he was walking on a sidewalk in his son's neighborhood on Feb. 6. Patel's attorney, Hank Sherrod, claims the man was accosted because of his dark brown skin.

Patel, who suffered injuries including partial paralysis of his legs, has filed a federal lawsuit claiming his civil rights were violated. The suit seeks an unspecified amount of money.

Dashcam video and audio recordings of emergency dispatch calls released by the Madison Police Department showed that a man called police complaining that an unfamiliar man was walking in the neighborhood and peering toward garages.

Police arrived in patrol cars within minutes. Video shot from inside one of the cruisers shows two officers approaching the man on the sidewalk and attempting to talk to him.

With country music playing audibly on the car's radio in the video recording, two officers approach the man on foot.

"What's going on, sir?" asks one of the officers. "You're what? India?"

Police pepper the man with questions about what he is doing and where he is going, but any answers are inaudible and someone on the recording is heard saying, "no English." Patel appears to try to walk away and one of the officers warns: "Do not jerk away from me again."

One of the officers, neither of whom is identified, then slams Patel face-first into the ground less than 90 seconds after the confrontation began.

"He don't speak a lick of English," one of the officers says as another officers arrives at the scene.
India 'disturbed' by citizen's treatment in Alabama
By fonewear 2015-02-13 11:12:46
Link | Citer | R

I don't speak a lick of English either ya hears me !

My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way me likes it !
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-02-13 11:18:03
Link | Citer | R

Can't say I'd normally expect to see an Indian walking the streets of Alabama. Apparently the cops thought the same thing...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-02-13 11:18:31
Link | Citer | R

Woah you mean like every theist ever?!
By fonewear 2015-02-13 11:18:47
Link | Citer | R

YouTube Video Placeholder
First Page 2 3 ... 276 277 278 ... 1375 1376 1377