Random Politics & Religion #00

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 185 186 187 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-06 16:12:35
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
as the only supplier of automobiles during that time for Germany was BMW).
Volkswagen and Daimler-Benz are at least two more off the top of my head, at least that still exist today. I wouldn't be suprised to find more if searching for them.
Sorry, meant to emphasis German vehicles.

Watch out people, I stand corrected!

This makes no sense.... Since when are VW and Benz not German vehicles...

Also, BMW is Bavarian, not German, which is apparently an important distinction in Germany.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2015-01-06 16:16:43
Link | Citer | R

Corrected^2
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-06 16:18:51
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Jassik said: »
But I didn't say they weren't.

I stated (incorrectly) that BMWs were the only supplier, I was corrected by Milamber.

What I meant to say is that there is an emphasis on German automobile makers, but not American automobile makers, that supplied the German war machine of vehicles. That was my point.

Also, BMW is Bavarian, not German, which is apparently an important distinction in Germany.
Bavarian is a state in Germany. That's like saying that California is not a part of the USA.
By Bloodrose 2015-01-06 16:19:32
Link | Citer | R

Bavarian Motor Works.
Bavarian Cream Pie.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-06 16:30:04
Link | Citer | R

But I didn't say they weren't.

I stated (incorrectly) that BMWs were the only supplier, I was corrected by Milamber.

What I meant to say is that there is an emphasis on German automobile makers, but not American automobile makers, that supplied the German war machine of vehicles. That was my point.

Bavarian is a state in Germany. That's like saying that California is not a part of the USA.

Basically all the current German auto manufacturers made war machines on some level, but they all still made consumer vehicles as well.

US states are a pretty poor analog for German states. When the country of Germany was founded, Bavaria was an independent country. Germany's formation is more like the USSR than the USA's. As such, the individual states within Germany retain their identity moreso than here. Either way, in 1916 when BMW was officially founded, almost 60 years after Germany was formed, they felt it necessary to distinguish themselves as Bavarian, going so far as to file the founding in Munich, the former capital of the reunited Bavarian states before "Germany" existed.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-06 16:42:17
Link | Citer | R

Basically all the current German auto manufacturers made war machines on some level, but they all still made consumer vehicles as well.
But that's not the question.

The question is: Did Ford make vehicles for the German war effort?

That's Lordgrim's assertion.

US states are a pretty poor analog for German states. When the country of Germany was founded, Bavaria was an independent country. Germany's formation is more like the USSR than the USA's. As such, the individual states within Germany retain their identity moreso than here. Either way, in 1916 when BMW was officially founded, almost 60 years after Germany was formed, they felt it necessary to distinguish themselves as Bavarian, going so far as to file the founding in Munich, the former capital of the reunited Bavarian states before "Germany" existed.
Sure, ok, whatever. Never mind that in 1871 it was part of the German Empire and has been part of it ever since (including the Iron Curtain split during the Cold War).

But whatever helps your argument, right? I'm pretty sure that you would argue that snow is really hot if it suits your argument.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-06 16:53:18
Link | Citer | R

Reread what I wrote about BWM and Bavaria... You just restated what I said as if you were informing me of something.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-06 16:54:57
Link | Citer | R

You mean about the one where Bavaria is not part of the German Empire, or the one where it should not be considered part of the German Empires because you say so?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-06 16:57:25
Link | Citer | R

The one how Bavaria was one of the independent countries that formed Germany, and how it was part of Germany when BMW was founded.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-01-06 17:03:57
Link | Citer | R

Bloodrose said: »
Bavarian Motor Works.
Bavarian Cream Pie.

I'd drive in one shoving the other into my mouth.

Because 'MURRICA.
By Ramyrez 2015-01-06 17:05:31
Link | Citer | R

You mean about the one where Bavaria is not part of the German Empire, or the one where it should not be considered part of the German Empires because you say so?

Let's be honest. There are a lot of countries in that part of the world who (understandably so) could never really be sure what "empire" claimed them, and probably didn't care so much as long as nothing bad was being done to them over it.

I have a great-grandmother who was from that "area" and could never even tell her children precisely what country she came here from because...***. Who could keep track at that point in history?
By Enuyasha 2015-01-06 17:11:35
Link | Citer | R

Ramyrez said: »

Let's be honest. There are a lot of countries in that part of the world who (understandably so) could never really be sure what "empire" claimed them, and probably didn't care so much as long as nothing bad was being done to them over it.

I have a great-grandmother who was from that "area" and could never even tell her children precisely what country she came here from because...***. Who could keep track at that point in history?
I feel really bad for the countries that were Persia for that exact reason. So much claiming and reclaiming.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-06 17:52:06
Link | Citer | R

The one how Bavaria was one of the independent countries that formed Germany, and how it was part of Germany when BMW was founded.
When did you say that again? Oh right, never.

inb4 post edit:

Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-06 18:15:14
Link | Citer | R

When did you say that again? Oh right, never.

inb4 post edit:

Quote:
Either way, in 1916 when BMW was officially founded, almost 60 years after Germany was formed, they felt it necessary to distinguish themselves as Bavarian, going so far as to file the founding in Munich, the former capital of the reunited Bavarian states before "Germany" existed.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-01-06 20:34:03
Link | Citer | R

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-01-07 06:43:38
Link | Citer | R

Another massacre by radical Muslims. Can we bash Christians for a little bit to lift our spirits after this tragedy?

When will the world get some gets? All of the bravest most badass comedians and the most snarky, liberal jackasses in the world all too terrified to ever make a Mohammed joke. The world left this newspaper hanging high and dry, isolated as the only one brave enough to do such a thing while we all cowered in fear.

Quick please, I need a Jesus joke now. Help.
 Valefor.Endoq
Serveur: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-01-07 07:07:02
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
I need a Jesus joke now. Help.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-07 08:33:33
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Another massacre by radical Muslims. Can we bash Christians for a little bit to lift our spirits after this tragedy?

When will the world get some gets? All of the bravest most badass comedians and the most snarky, liberal jackasses in the world all too terrified to ever make a Mohammed joke. The world left this newspaper hanging high and dry, isolated as the only one brave enough to do such a thing while we all cowered in fear.

Quick please, I need a Jesus joke now. Help.
A) When is there never a massacre by radicals?

B) Whatcha talking about?
 Shiva.Viciousss
Serveur: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-01-07 08:42:09
Link | Citer | R

Looks like there was a shooting in Paris.
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-01-07 08:43:10
Link | Citer | R

turn on the news
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-01-07 08:46:12
Link | Citer | R

More specifically a terrorist attack on a newspaper office. A dozens of victims I think.

edit: the terrorists said they have avenged the prophet
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-07 08:48:06
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Looks like there was a shooting in Paris.
I see that now. Thanks.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-01-07 08:49:16
Link | Citer | R

They yelled "allah akbar" and explained they were from the Yemen branch of Al Qaida. The muslim community said it was barbaric etc etc.

Took them 8 years to kill 10 guys (+2 policemen) who drew Mahomet. I guess they were tired of the death threats sent every month.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-07 08:49:56
Link | Citer | R

12 dead in terror attack on Paris paper, including editor

(This is a MSN article, and copy-pasted from direct source, so it's not my fault for obvious grammar and spelling errors)

Quote:
PARIS (AP) — Masked gunmen shouting "Allahu akbar!" stormed the Paris offices of a satirical newspaper Wednesday, killing 12 people, including the paper's editor and a cartoonist, before escaping in a getaway car. It was France's deadliest terror attack in at least two decades.

French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said security forces were hunting for three gunmen after the noon-time attack on the weekly Charlie Hebdo, whose caricatures of the Prophet Muhammed have frequently drawn condemnation from Muslims.

French President Francois Hollande called the slayings "a terrorist attack without a doubt" and said several other attacks have been thwarted in France "in recent weeks."

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.

France raised its security alert to the highest level and reinforced protective measures at houses of worship, stores, media offices and transportation. Top government officials held an emergency meeting and Hollande planned a nationally televised address in the evening. Schools across the French capital closed their doors.

World leaders including President Barack Obama and German Chancellor Angela Merkel condemned the attack, but supporters of the militant Islamic State group celebrated the slayings as well-deserved revenge against France.

The Islamic State group has repeatedly threatened to attack France. Just minutes before the attack, Charlie Hebdo had tweeted a satirical cartoon of that extremist group's leader giving New Year's wishes. Another cartoon, released in this week's issue and entitled "Still No Attacks in France," had a caricature of an extremist fighter saying "Just wait — we have until the end of January to present our New Year's wishes."

The 12 dead included two men who went by the pen names: Charb — the editor and a cartoonist as well — and the cartoonist Cabu, spokeswoman Agnes Thibault-Lecuivre of the Paris prosecutor's office confirmed.

Two police officers were also among the dead, including one assigned as Charb's bodyguard after prior death threats against him, a police official told The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation.

Just before noon, multiple masked men armed with automatic weapons attacked the newspaper's office in central Paris, nearby worker Benoit Bringer told the iTele network. The attackers went to the second floor and started firing indiscriminately in the newsroom, said Christophe DeLoire of Reporters Without Borders.

"This is the darkest day of the history of the French press," DeLoire said.

Video images on the website of public broadcaster France Televisions showed two gunmen in black at a crossroads who appeared to fire down one of the streets. A cry of "Allahu akbar!" — Arabic for "God is great"— could be heard among the gunshots.

Luc Poignant of the SBP police union said the attackers left in a waiting car and later switched to another vehicle that had been stolen.

Obama's top spokesman said U.S. officials have been in close contact with the French since the attack. "We know they are not going to be cowed by this terrible act," spokesman Josh Earnest said.

On social media, supporters of militant Islamic groups praised the move. One Twitter user who identified themselves as a Tunisian loyalist of al-Qaida and the Islamic State group called the attack well-deserved revenge against France.

Elsewhere on the Internet, the hashtag #JeSuisCharlie was trending as people expressed support for weekly and for journalistic freedom.

Charlie Hebdo has been repeatedly threatened for its caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad and other controversial sketches. Its offices were firebombed in 2011 after a spoof issue featuring a caricature of the prophet on its cover. Nearly a year later, the publication again published crude Muhammad caricatures, drawing denunciations from around the Muslim world.

Wednesday's attack comes the same day of the release of a book by a celebrated French novelist depicting France's election of its first Muslim president. Hollande had been due to meet with the country's top religious officials later in the day.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-01-07 08:52:05
Link | Citer | R

They literally gave the far right what they needed. They were among the first to condemn the event. It's like they don't even understand that they're shitting on the Muslims living in France with what they did. Counter logic.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-07 08:53:45
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
They literally gave the far right what they needed. They were among the first to condemn the event. It's like they don't even understand that they're shitting on the Muslims living in France with what they did. Counter logic.
Why does it not surprise me that you would automatically blame conservatives for this?
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-01-07 08:57:02
Link | Citer | R

Can you read? It's not what Senkyu said.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-01-07 08:57:11
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
Why does it not surprise me that you would automatically blame conservatives for this?
Uwot.

Why doesn't it surprise me that you're talking out of your *** about a political scene you don't even know nor understand, namely the French political one.
Go read more about the events that happened between the killing and this very second then come back to me.
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-01-07 08:57:33
Link | Citer | R

I'm just going to blame the French and call it a day.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 185 186 187 ... 1375 1376 1377