Random Politics & Religion #00

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1129 1130 1131 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-12-06 10:30:39
Link | Citer | R

Jassik said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Word is Obamas going to kick of the gun control party tonight with some executive orders.

Oh, is it inauguration day 2009 already?

In order to help fight terrorism, law abiding gun owners must be punished.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-12-06 10:36:00
Link | Citer | R

Paul....

Once again I would remind you that both historians and theologians refer to Christianity as the Paulian heresy.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2015-12-06 10:52:34
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Paul....

Once again I would remind you that both historians and theologians refer to Christianity as the Paulian heresy.

Only by a small number, usually with an axe to grind.

Jesus had many followers and they didn't all agree on the specifics of his teachings. After Jesus's death they split up and spread slightly different variations of it which resulting in different brands and sets of followers. Hundreds of years later, long after Paul's death, Paul's teachings had become the most popular and were used as the core tenants during the canonization.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-06 10:55:57
Link | Citer | R

Today instead, anyone with a twitter account has followers!
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-06 11:14:46
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saevel said: »
Paul....

Jesus had many followers and they didn't all agree on the specifics of his teachings. After Jesus's death they split up and spread slightly different variations of it which resulting in different brands and sets of followers. Hundreds of years later, long after Paul's death, Paul's teachings had become the most popular and were used as the core tenants during the canonization.
It only seems that way because most of the world is gentiles and Paul was sent to the gentiles.

Peter was sent to the jews.
If I'm not mistaken Jesus chose Peter as the first leader of the church.
By charlo999 2015-12-06 11:26:01
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
If Paul did not know Jesus while He lived on this earth, then how can Paul have any authority to teach and preach the Gospel?

Though Paul did not walk with Jesus while he was on this earth, he did receive approval from the followers of Jesus. In Galatians, chapters 1-2, Paul explains that he took two different trips to Jerusalem to see the Jerusalem apostles.1

Trip #1: A.D. 36

In his first trip, Paul mentions the most popular apostles by name: Peter and James. In Galatians 1:18-19, Paul says,

"Then three years later [A.D. 36?] I went up to Jerusalem to become acquainted with Cephas [or Peter], and stayed with him fifteen days. 19But I did not see any other of the apostles except James, the Lord's brother."

If Paul and Peter spent fifteen days together, they must have discussed some very important matters! I wish that I could have been a fly on the wall to hear Paul and Peter's conversation. What a sight that must have been! As one scholar stated, they probably did not spend all of their time talking about the weather. It is quite likely that given the context of Galatians 1 where Paul is discussing his authority to preach the gospel that Peter and Paul discussed the content of the Gospel during their time together.

Trip #2: A.D. 47-50

However, Paul also mentions a second trip to Jerusalem in Galatians 2:1-2:

"Then after an interval of fourteen years [47-50 A.D.?] I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along also. 2It was because of a revelation that I went up; and I submitted to them the gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but I did so in private to those who were of reputation, for fear that I might be running, or had run, in vain."

In this second visit, Paul mentions that he explicitly brought his gospel before the Jerusalem apostles (Peter, James, and John). He indicates that he had a fear "that I might be running--or had run--in vain." Some have speculated that Paul wanted to verify the content of his preaching to be sure that he was correct. Therefore, he goes up to Jerusalem a second time to see Peter, James, and then John.

Interestingly, the apostles respond:

"And recognizing the grace that had been given to me, James and Cephas and John, who were reputed to be pillars, gave to me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, so that we might go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised, (Gal. 2:9)."

In other words, the early apostles agreed with Paul's gospel that he preached.

The Ultimate Authority

Even though Paul had approval from the eyewitnesses of Jesus' life, nevertheless, Paul claimed that his ultimate authority did not come from humans but directly from Christ's revelation to him:

"For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. 12For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ, (Gal. 1:11-12)."

Paul himself saw Jesus via revelation on his encounter on the road to Damascus (Acts 9, 22, 26) in which Christ revealed Himself to Paul. He was an eyewitness in the sense of having seen Jesus after His death (1 Cor. 9:1). Therefore, Paul certainly had the authority to teach and preach the Gospel.

Where does this opinion that Paul taught something different come from?
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Serveur: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-12-06 11:31:51
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I think the point is getting lost in this diatribe about J.

Islam is not political in itself, the division between sects is. Just like they were the divisions within the catholic church.
Unfortunately religion always had a strong grip on power and has been historically used as a mean for control of nations. And while christianity's political power has been fading these last years, islam still has a very strong hold on the middle-east, and that is why it is a political problem too.

A few pages ago I mentioned that Islam hasn't yet gone through the reformation that Christianity did, specifically the Roman Catholic Church. It took an opportunistic English king, backed by an angry resentful population to finally break the back of the catholic church, and it was still a very long time until their power was completely broken. The same thing needs to happen in Islam, it will come and when it does it's going to be extremely bloody.

So, were dismissing mainland Europe?

If you're referring to Henry VIII, merely glancing through a tunneled Anglo-centric view, and insinuating there was a finite conclusion, I suggest you read up on Mary I, Elizabeth I, Mary Queen of Scots, Oliver Cromwell and the Stuart dynasty.

Ridiculous.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-12-06 11:58:52
Link | Citer | R

Nothing like a trip to Saudi Arabia for some inspiration.

Quote:
Tashfeen Malik, the Pakistani woman involved in the California mass shooting last week, may have influenced her American husband toward violence, said Representative Michael McCaul, chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, on Sunday.

Malik's relatives in Pakistan have said she appeared to have abandoned the family's moderate Islam and become more radicalized during years they spent in Saudi Arabia.

Malik, 29, and her U.S.-born husband, Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, stormed a gathering of civil servants in San Bernardino, California, on Wednesday, opening fire with assault rifles and killing 14 people.

The pair were killed two hours later in a shootout with police SWAT team members.

"There's a serious investigation ongoing into what she was doing in Pakistan and in Saudi," McCaul said on Fox News Sunday. "We think that she had a lot to do with the radicalization process and perhaps with Mr. Farook's radicalization from within in the United States."
Killer wife may have pushed husband to violence
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-06 11:59:24
Link | Citer | R

Word is Obamas going to kick of the gun control party tonight with some executive orders.

Oh, is it inauguration day 2009 already?

In order to help fight terrorism, law abiding gun owners must be punished.

If they change the law, will you be a law abiding gun owner, or one of the crazies? Law abiding is a ridiculous way to categorize people. Everyone breaks laws, large or small, with or without intent. Calling yourself law abiding is an attempt to distance yourself from the more extreme elements, but your rhetoric tells otherwise. Nothing in life is as black and white as your try to make it.

Limit ownership to a few of each type of weapon and the scope for basically every rational person remains unchanged. It's only the fringe that's effected. Regulation picks up where decency and common sense end. And those are becoming less common everyday.
By charlo999 2015-12-06 12:03:21
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Endoq said: »
Paul....

It only seems that way because most of the world is gentiles and Paul was sent to the gentiles.

Yes your right here.

Quote:
Galatians 2:7-8New English Translation (NET Bible)

7 On the contrary, when they saw that I was entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised just as Peter was entrusted with the gospel to the circumcised 8 (for he who empowered Peter for his apostleship to the circumcised also empowered me for my apostleship to the Gentiles)

Matthew 16:18New English Translation (NET Bible)

18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.

Can I just say here the misunderstanding in the word 'church' from scripture.
It is not a building, it is a gathering of 2 or more people who are following in the teaching and ways of Christ. And as a whole called the body of Christ/Christs bride in which have received the spiritual Kingdom of heaven.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-06 12:08:53
Link | Citer | R

For the record everyone, Paul and Peter both taught the same thing.
Everything checks out scripturally in both the old and new testaments.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-06 12:35:45
Link | Citer | R

Considering what is in the book wasn't canon until 600 years after either of them was around, is there no possibility it was sanitized? This speaks directly to your credibility in discussing the topic, because it's impossible not to see the hands of the organizers of the church in the books they chose to include it not include. It's even reasonable and pragmatic to exclude the teachings that stand apart of your goal is to unite the different sects.
 Asura.Saevel
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2015-12-06 12:36:01
Link | Citer | R

Paul....

Last I checked the Jews weren't particularly happy with Jesus and this new(ish) religion anyway. It makes perfect sense that if you want to spread a religion you spread it among those more open to listening.
 Bahamut.Kara
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-12-06 13:06:06
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said: »
Last I heard it was 80k.

Oh right, I forgot it was the JV team. Is that the number we think are really committed to the cause, because it sure as hell isn't the population that they control under their caliphate.

Regardless it's been pointed out again and again here that when pew did polling and research on the matter it found millions of Muslims around the world were sympathetic to the cause of Islamic terrorism.
Some said they were sympathetic to suicide bombings targeting civilian centers.

Quote:
Few Muslims in most of the countries surveyed say that suicide bombing can often or sometimes be justified against civilian targets in order to defend Islam from its enemies. And support for the tactic has fallen in many countries over the last decade. Still, in some countries a substantial minority say that suicide bombing can be justified.

Weren't you ok with bombing schools a few pages back in certain circumstances?

Like a good liberal youve equated waging war against terrorism to terrorism itself. It's like a knee jerk reflex to automatically ***all over western values by equating them to terrorism.

Please tell me I don't have to explain the difference between bombing a weapons silo disguised as a school, and terrorism.

What.....since when is bombing schools a western value?

And fyi, we've bombed schools where there have been no weapons because we made a massive mistake. It was concluded last week that we bombed a hospital because we made a massive mistake.

Edited wording for profanity
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-12-06 13:35:59
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »

Islam is not political in itself, the division between sects is. Just like they were the divisions within the catholic church.
Unfortunately religion always had a strong grip on power and has been historically used as a mean for control of nations. And while christianity's political power has been fading these last years, islam still has a very strong hold on the middle-east, and that is why it is a political problem too.

A few pages ago I mentioned that Islam hasn't yet gone through the reformation that Christianity did, specifically the Roman Catholic Church. It took an opportunistic English king, backed by an angry resentful population to finally break the back of the catholic church, and it was still a very long time until their power was completely broken. The same thing needs to happen in Islam, it will come and when it does it's going to be extremely bloody.

If you're referring to Henry VIII, merely glancing through a tunneled Anglo-centric view, and insinuating there was a finite conclusion, I suggest you read up on Mary I, Elizabeth I, Mary Queen of Scots, Oliver Cromwell and the Stuart dynasty.

Ridiculous.
Or the relatively recent period of "the troubles" in Northern Ireland.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-12-06 13:45:05
Link | Citer | R

charlo999 said: »
Can I just say here the misunderstanding in the word 'church' from scripture.
It is not a building, it is a gathering of 2 or more people who are following in the teaching and ways of Christ. And as a whole called the body of Christ/Christs bride in which have received the spiritual Kingdom of heaven.
The minimum required for public worship of a Jewish congregation is 10, all over 13 years old. This is called a Minyan.

I would suggest that your two or more is later in time than Jesus, but I don't really know.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-06 13:48:10
Link | Citer | R

Considering what is in the book wasn't canon until 600 years after either of them was around, is there no possibility it was sanitized? This speaks directly to your credibility in discussing the topic, because it's impossible not to see the hands of the organizers of the church in the books they chose to include it not include. It's even reasonable and pragmatic to exclude the teachings that stand apart of your goal is to unite the different sects.
These sort of things were a HUGE stumbling block in my faith for a long time until I started really studying and digging deep in scripture to find out the truth and found that all I have seen so far in the Bible checks out to be true via checking within the Bible.
I don't doubt that there have been attempts to pervert the scriptures but it seems that the Word remains infallible despite these attempts.

EDIT: Also prayer and asking for the truth... I kind of left out that most important part...
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-06 13:49:24
Link | Citer | R

all I have seen so far in the Bible checks out to be true via checking within the Bible.
Uhhh...that sounds like "what the bible says is true cause it's written in the bible", wha?
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-12-06 13:50:52
Link | Citer | R

Is this supposed to be a reply to me? You didn't address what I said. You've got this weird habit of copy/pasting (sometimes without a source) to make your post look as if it had substance. Take a moment and engage rather than keep copy/pasting more stuff that are irrelevant to what's being discussed.

I mean I(we) get it, you're passionate about your religion, but this is a forum. Is your goal to discuss your beliefs and ideas, or to demonize Islam so that it doesn't compete with the only "one true religion"?

Bill Warner writes, "There are as many as 225 verses of the Koran that are altered by later verses. This is called abrogation."
Funny source, and an imaginary claim.

"Abrogation" is an intricate scholarly topic, and it isn't thought to have happened to as many verses as 255 by any reputable scholar, and that's talking about abrogations in rulings only, which happened over the course of revelation for a variety of reasons (causing gradual change, for example).

On this basis Muslims are required to wage jihad.
I guess I've been slacking.

Go read the letter to Albaghdadi that I linked numerous times, it contains a section about jihad. It was signed by over a hundred different scholars of different schools of Fiqh. If that doesn't represent mainstream consensus and you'd rather listen to "Bill Warner", then that's your business.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-06 13:51:53
Link | Citer | R

all I have seen so far in the Bible checks out to be true via checking within the Bible.
Uhhh...that sounds like "what the bible says is true cause it's written in the bible", wha?

Yeah, the same book that was assembled centuries after the people it's written by who weren't even the ones they claimed to be.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-06 13:54:19
Link | Citer | R

There is also some misconceptions about the meaning of jihad. Too many people think it means to kill others in the name of islam, when it's not the case.
Doing the jihad is more like putting effort into being a good muslim or something, Zeig can surely address that better.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-06 14:04:07
Link | Citer | R

Jihad is used in 3 concepts as I understand it.

1. Doing god's work
2. The struggle against unbelievers (not necessarily violent)
3. The struggle within against doubts

Moderates don't seem to use the term in it's original context all that often, so it's taken on it's more violent meaning more that it is intended to.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Serveur: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-12-06 14:04:50
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said: »

Ridiculous.
Or the relatively recent period of "the troubles" in Northern Ireland.

Old Dickie Mountbatten certainly got his. I'm sure there were some Indians and Burmese that were quite happy with the IRA. LOL!

Better steer this away from British Imperialism...
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-12-06 14:07:53
Link | Citer | R

That's the problem with Christianity, it's largely based on the teachings of Paul, whom have never met Jesus in his life.

Let's say I want to follow Christ. So I go pick up the Bible because that's supposedly his legacy. But then I learn that the Bible, more likely than not, doesn't 100% represent Christ's teachings, because of the nature of its assembly and authorship (not to mention translations, editing and extrapolations over the centuries). Is there a way to read texts that have a good level of certainty concerning their attribution to Jesus? Sadly nope. And that's a major blow to the very foundation of the religion (regardless of its contents).
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-06 14:17:28
Link | Citer | R

17 year old Swedish girl from Linköping was arrested in Austria when she was on her way to Syria to join ISIS. She was radicalized recently and would shut herself in her room to watch ISIS videos and has spoken positively about them. Because she's not wanted for any crime (just reported as missing) the police can't force her to come home. Social services doubt she'll refuse to come back home though and once she's in Sweden they can legally stop her from leaving again.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-06 14:19:39
Link | Citer | R

Some weeks ago an italian 15 yo girl left her family to go to Syria and is now a hacker for the IS.
It is a bit worrying that they might have a cyberarmy as well.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-12-06 14:28:01
Link | Citer | R

Old Dickie Mountbatten certainly got his. I'm sure there were some Indians and Burmese that were quite happy with the IRA. LOL!

Better steer this away from British Imperialism...
I had to google that!

Eh, it helped shape how the world is today, both good and bad.

I think many ignore Northern Ireland's troubles because while it was political it was also rooted in religion, and religious terrorism began before 9/11.

I had a professor who used to sponsor two kids from Northern Ireland every summer, where one would be Protestant and one would be Catholic. She said she only worried when it got silent, because then they were probably trying to kill each other...

Unfortunately, there are still issues ongoing today...
[+]
By charlo999 2015-12-06 14:48:05
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
Is this supposed to be a reply to me? You didn't address what I said. You've got this weird habit of copy/pasting (sometimes without a source) to make your post look as if it had substance. Take a moment and engage rather than keep copy/pasting more stuff that are irrelevant to what's being discussed.

I mean I(we) get it, you're passionate about your religion, but this is a forum. Is your goal to discuss your beliefs and ideas, or to demonize Islam so that it doesn't compete with the only "one true religion"?

Bill Warner writes, "There are as many as 225 verses of the Koran that are altered by later verses. This is called abrogation."
Funny source, and an imaginary claim.

"Abrogation" is an intricate scholarly topic, and it isn't thought to have happened to as many verses as 255 by any reputable scholar, and that's talking about abrogations in rulings only, which happened over the course of revelation for a variety of reasons (causing gradual change, for example).

On this basis Muslims are required to wage jihad.
I guess I've been slacking.

Go read the letter to Albaghdadi that I linked numerous times, it contains a section about jihad. It was signed by over a hundred different scholars of different schools of Fiqh. If that doesn't represent mainstream consensus and you'd rather listen to "Bill Warner", then that's your business.

Are you telling me these scholars hold more weight than buhkari?
If mainstream thought means not following your scripture I'm all for it.
You can try and dodge this all you want.

Quote:
Abrogation and Jihad

How does the theological debate over abrogation impact contemporary policy formulation? While not all terrorism is rooted in Islam, the religion is an enabler for many. It is wrong to assume that more extreme interpretations of religion are illegitimate. Statements that there is no compulsion in religion and that jihad is primarily about internal struggle and not about holy war may receive applause in university lecture halls and diplomatic board rooms, but they misunderstand the importance of abrogation in Islamic theology. It is important to acknowledge that what university scholars believe, and what most Muslims—or more extreme Muslims—believe are two different things. For many Islamists and radical Muslims, abrogation is real and what the West calls terror is, indeed, just.

During the lifetime of Muhammad, the Islamic community passed through three stages. In the beginning from 610 until 622, God commanded restraint. As the Muslims relocated to Medina (623-26), God permitted Muslims only to fight in a defensive war. However, in the last six years of Muhammad's life (626-32), God permitted Muslims to fight an aggressive war first against polytheists,[52] and later against monotheists like the Jews of Khaybar.[53] Once Muhammad was given permission to kill in the name of God, he instigated battle.

Chapter 9 of the Qur'an, in English called "Ultimatum," is the most important concerning the issues of abrogation and jihad against unbelievers. It is the only chapter that does not begin "in the name of God, most benevolent, ever-merciful."[54] Commentators agree that Muhammad received this revelation in 631, the year before his death, when he had returned to Mecca and was at his strongest.[55] Muhammad bin Ismail al-Bukhari (810-70), compiler of one of the most authoritative collections of the hadith, said that "Ultimatum" was the last chapter revealed to Muhammad[56] although others suggest it might have been penultimate. Regardless, coming at or near the very end of Muhammad's life, "Ultimatum" trumps earlier revelations.

Because this chapter contains violent passages, it abrogates previous peaceful content. Muhsin Khan, the translator of Sahih al-Bukhari, says God revealed "Ultimatum" in order to discard restraint and to command Muslims to fight against all the pagans as well as against the People of the Book if they do not embrace Islam or until they pay religious taxes. So, at first aggressive fighting was forbidden; it later became permissible (2:190) and subsequently obligatory (9:5).[57] This "verse of the sword" abrogated, canceled, and replaced 124 verses that called for tolerance, compassion, and peace.[58]

Suyuti said that everything in the Qur'an about forgiveness and peace is abrogated by verse 9:5, which orders Muslims to fight the unbelievers and to establish God's kingdom on earth.

Prior to receiving "Ultimatum," Muhammad had reached agreements with various Arab tribes. But when God gave Muhammad a revelation (2:190-2), Muhammad felt justified in breaking his cease-fire. For Isma'il bin Kathir (1301-73), a student of Ibn Taymiyya and an influential Qur'an interpreter in his own right, it is clear: As jihad involves death and the killing of men, God draws attention to the fact that disbelief, polytheism, and avoidance of God's path as shown by the Qur'an are worse than killing them.[59] This creates license for future generations of Muslims to kill non-Muslims solely on the basis of their refusal to accept Islam

Quote:

Abdullah ibn Masood quotes the Prophet (Pbuh) as saying: “The best of people are my contemporaries, then the generation to follow, then those who follow them. After that there will be people among whom you find some whose testimony comes ahead of their oaths and whose oaths come ahead of their testimony.”

So the first 3 generations are the best Muslims and these are the generations that waged war and jihad. Following the later verses which abrogate the earlier ones. Are you the best Muslim you can be too?
By charlo999 2015-12-06 15:03:44
Link | Citer | R

1. Doing god's work

Moderates don't seem to use the term in it's original context all that often, so it's taken on it's more violent meaning more that it is intended to.

Wow if this was the case we can throw away everything historic we know about the war and fighting of Mohammeds conquests in spreading Islam.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-06 15:18:15
Link | Citer | R

1. Doing god's work

Wow if this was the case we can throw away everything historic we know about the war and fighting of Mohammeds conquests in spreading Islam.

Yes, because everything Islam can be boiled down to violent extremist or not really Muslim.

Seriously... All the Mosaic religions are crazy and you're arguing over which is the most crazy.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 1129 1130 1131 ... 1375 1376 1377