Random Politics & Religion #00

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1089 1090 1091 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-20 08:53:09
Link | Citer | R

It's not my idea, they find these subtstances in the bombers. Which doesn't have anything to do with the motivation, but it's what they use to go through with it.

Defending your values, your dear ones, your honours with your life is one thing, blowing yourself up takes a rather larger leap.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-20 08:58:45
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
No one claimed to be against screening the refugees, it's only intelligent to do so. I don't see where this divisiveness even is on that.
You are right, nobody is against the screening at all. It's the level of screening that's up for debate.

One side wants complete protection from any outside influence*.
The other side wants to take everyone in, regardless of how much of a threat they are to society.

It's just trying to find a happy medium, and depending on the government to actually make that happy medium.

*When I say influence, I mean not just keeping the terrorists out of the country, but also make it so those who enter do not bring their culture with them or demand that we change our ways to fit their old lifestyle. Which is stupid regardless.
Administrator
Serveur: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-11-20 08:59:56
Link | Citer | R

It's not my idea, they find these subtstances in the bombers. Which doesn't have anything to do with the motivation, but it's what they use to go through with it.

Defending your values, your dear ones, your honours with your life is one thing, blowing yourself up takes a rather larger leap.

Have you ever known poverty? Have you ever looked around at your family, struggling to get by, to survive, and thought to yourself, I will do whatever it takes to fix this, to make this right. Have you looked at your child, and realized that you would do absolutely anything you had to in order to secure their future?

I expect not. So don't talk about the limits of human motivation, because you don't have any idea how deep that rabbit hole goes, Alice.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-20 09:01:25
Link | Citer | R

Calm down. Reread, you'll notice I said the drug has nothing to do with motivation.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-20 09:02:19
Link | Citer | R

Drama Torama said: »
You think there are people who won't sign up for that?

I mean, literally. It's called "life insurance fraud" here in the States...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-20 09:02:57
Link | Citer | R

Have you ever known poverty? Have you ever looked around at your family, struggling to get by, to survive, and thought to yourself, I will do whatever it takes to fix this, to make this right. Have you looked at your child, and realized that you would do absolutely anything you had to in order to secure their future?

I expect not. So don't talk about the limits of human motivation, because you don't have any idea how deep that rabbit hole goes, Alice.
To be honest, has any of us known true poverty?

I'm not talking about the American version of poverty where you are worried about making it to the next welfare check in order to make your next car payment, I'm talking about the type of poverty found in the rest of the world, especially rampant in the Middle East and Africa nations?

I don't think any of us would have experienced poverty if we are able to chat/demean each other on this website.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-20 09:03:52
Link | Citer | R

Ramyrez said: »

I mean, literally. It's called "Classic 105 plans" here in the States...
ftfy. Life insurance frauds are a little more complex than what you think.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-20 09:05:18
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

I'm not talking about the American version of poverty where you are worried about making it to the next welfare check in order to make your next car payment, I'm talking about the type of poverty found in the rest of the world, especially rampant in the Middle East and Africa nations?

I don't think any of us would have experienced poverty if we are able to chat/demean each other on this website.

It's not my place to name names or "out" people, but I know of people on this forum who have grown up in true poverty in America. It does, in fact, exist.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-20 09:07:21
Link | Citer | R

I was being somewhat facetious anyhow just to prove a point, but okay, yeah. I think we're all -- okay, mostly, as I'm sure some people are blissfully unaware of the way society works -- aware of how complicated insurance documents, mortgage/rent documents/claims, etc. can get. At least anyone who's actually had to go through an adversity with any one of these dozens of things. That's why we have agents and lawyers who we pay to specialize in this and little else. Not because many of us can't understand it, but because we quite literally don't have the time.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-20 09:07:23
Link | Citer | R

It's not my place to name names or "out" people, but I know of people on this forum who have grown up in true poverty in America. It does, in fact, exist.
Other than homeless people, I highly doubt anyone has experienced true poverty.

Even homeless people have it better than most of the rest of the world in this nation.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-20 09:11:12
Link | Citer | R

Even homeless people have it better than most of the rest of the world in this nation.

To some degree, yes, I suppose. But look at it this way: while a homeless person here may have free access to clean water in most cases and in some form, poverty-stricken people in more equatorially-located parts of the world don't face freezing to death during a Buffalo or Detroit winter.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-20 09:11:33
Link | Citer | R

I was being somewhat facetious anyhow just to prove a point, but okay, yeah. I think we're all -- okay, mostly, as I'm sure some people are blissfully unaware of the way society works -- aware of how complicated insurance documents, mortgage/rent documents/claims, etc. can get. At least anyone who's actually had to go through an adversity with any one of these dozens of things. That's why we have agents and lawyers who we pay to specialize in this and little else. Not because many of us can't understand it, but because we quite literally don't have the time.
I'm sorry, but if you think mortgage/rent/insurance/legal/<insert random legal document> is hard to understand, then you obviously haven't read them or even want to understand.

These documents are not hard to understand, they clearly spell out the terms of the contract, they HAVE to clearly spell out the terms of the contract so a third party who has no clue as to what's going on can quickly mediate a dispute between the two parties.

I challenge you to take the time to read an actual contract you have with somebody else (assuming you either rent or have a mortgage or whatnot) and you will see how well defined the terms are between you and whoever you signed the contract with.
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2015-11-20 09:13:31
Link | Citer | R

A fair distinction. I grew up really, really, poor, to the point where survival was not a guarantee. But it was still American poverty, and not third-world. I was still able to get an education (thanks public schools+Uncle Sam+scholarships!) and make a better life for myself and my family.

That feeling of vulnerability, though, it never leaves. I still get excited when there's money in my checking account despite the fact that I've made good to very good money for two decades now, and there's always money there. I still breathe a tiny sigh of relief when my credit card doesn't get declined, despite having no reason to believe it ever would. That level of desperation never, ever, gets out of your system.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-20 09:14:49
Link | Citer | R

Oh for ***'s sake.

Would you stop trying to act superior to everyone for two. ***. seconds?

No, they're not beyond comprehension. But they are more complicated than most people deal with in their day-to-day. You have an irritating habit of assuming I'm always speaking directly for myself and not for the general populous at times. I promise you there are millions of homeowners in this country who don't understand their mortgages or even their cell phone contracts.

It's like reading an EULA. Hard to understand? No. Lengthy and easy to miss fine print because who in their right mind has time to read all of that? Sometimes.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-20 09:15:08
Link | Citer | R

To some degree, yes, I suppose. But look at it this way: while a homeless person here may have free access to clean water in most cases and in some form, poverty-stricken people in more equatorially-located parts of the world don't face freezing to death during a Buffalo winter.
You are right, they don't have to face freezing to death during a Buffalo winter because they *shock* don't exist in Buffalo.

Neither does most homeless people either, because *shock* they would be in shelters to protect them from said winters.

Now, does the homeless in Buffalo have to worry about dying from dehydration and/or starvation from the intense heat in Egypt? Or being used as fodder for training in the Middle East? Or any of the nice, humane ways of torture in said areas?

What I'm talking about is true destitution, which I know that nobody here has experienced. Or are you going to argue with me about that without "naming names"?
By Ramyrez 2015-11-20 09:17:50
Link | Citer | R

Neither does most homeless people either, because *shock* they would be in shelters to protect them from said winters.

Your complete and utter lack of understanding of being poor is showing again. This is almost as bad as the Mitt Romney "why don't poor people just buy more money?" meme.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-20 09:18:54
Link | Citer | R

That level of desperation never, ever, gets out of your system.

My wife grew up during the fall of the USSR, when even having money meant nothing because the money was worthless and stores were empty. To this day, she has nightmares if there isn't a few months worth of frozen and canned food in the house.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-20 09:21:16
Link | Citer | R

A fair distinction. I grew up really, really, poor, to the point where survival was not a guarantee. But it was still American poverty, and not third-world. I was still able to get an education (thanks public schools+Uncle Sam+scholarships!) and make a better life for myself and my family.

That feeling of vulnerability, though, it never leaves. I still get excited when there's money in my checking account despite the fact that I've made good to very good money for two decades now, and there's always money there. I still breathe a tiny sigh of relief when my credit card doesn't get declined, despite having no reason to believe it ever would. That level of desperation never, ever, gets out of your system.
A fair point. I'm not going to deny that there is poverty in America. Maybe being up at 2 A.M. watching the National Geographic channel that shows true poverty makes me a little skeptic about poverty in America, who knows. I'm just pointing out that we, here in America, have it much much MUCH better than those do in Africa.

Oh for ***'s sake.

Would you stop trying to act superior to everyone for two. ***. seconds?

No, they're not beyond comprehension. But they are more complicated than most people deal with in their day-to-day. You have an irritating habit of assuming I'm always speaking directly for myself and not for the general populous at times. I promise you there are millions of homeowners in this country who don't understand their mortgages or even their cell phone contracts.

It's like reading an EULA. Hard to understand? No. Lengthy and easy to miss fine print because who in their right mind has time to read all of that? Sometimes.
For one thing, I'm not directly attacking you. I'm just pointing out your assertion that everyone doesn't have the time to read the contracts they sign. While a good majority may not, to claim that they don't because it's hard to read is a stupid reason at best. The honest answer is because they choose not to read because of their stupidity. Who signs a contract without reading the terms? That's like asking to be screwed in the *** on a daily basis (and some people may like that, but that's besides the point).

Don't confuse laziness with inability.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-20 09:23:11
Link | Citer | R

Your complete and utter lack of understanding of being poor is showing again. This is almost as bad as the Mitt Romney "why don't poor people just buy more money?" meme.
So, there are no homeless shelters in your area? Homeless people all die in the winters from freezing to death, and then a new group just pop out of the ground?

Try volunteering at a shelter sometime. It may change your perception on how much benefits people get for not having anything.

Also, thanks again for the personal attack. I'm sure you won't get called out on it and people will defend you from me making this statement.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-20 09:23:58
Link | Citer | R

I still don't get what my upbringing has to do with bombers stuffing themselves with drugs before they do it.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-20 09:24:07
Link | Citer | R

A fair point. I'm not going to deny that there is poverty in America. Maybe being up at 2 A.M. watching the National Geographic channel that shows true poverty makes me a little skeptic about poverty in America, who knows. I'm just pointing out that we, here in America, have it much much MUCH better than those do in Africa.

Nobody is saying that we don't. But statements like "there's no homeless people in Buffalo" make you sound like a crazy person.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-20 09:24:18
Link | Citer | R

Don't confuse laziness with inability.

I'll take this as a consideration more frequently as long as you promise to consider the opposite at times. Not every problem poor people have is attributable to their own laziness.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-20 09:25:57
Link | Citer | R

I still don't get what my upbringing has to do with bombers stuffing themselves with drugs before they do it.

It has to do with desperation. Their upbringing leads them down a path. Using narcotics to overcome the fear of actually carrying it out speaks more to their doubts about their actions than anything else.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-20 09:26:29
Link | Citer | R

Jassik said: »

It has to do with desperation. Their upbringing leads them down a path. Using narcotics to overcome the fear of actually carrying it out speaks more to their doubts about their actions than anything else.
And this is about me why?
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2015-11-20 09:27:52
Link | Citer | R

Because you were like "well, there's drugs, that's how they can do it", which really just shows you haven't encountered that level of desperation or need.

And that's actually a good thing. It's *** awful, and I've worked hard to build my life to a point where my son is (hopefully) never going to know what it feels like!
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-20 09:27:57
Link | Citer | R

And this is about me why?

Everyone's history shapes who they are. Don't minimize someone else's hardship or boil their motivations down to cowardice unless you want to be under the microscope yourself.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-20 09:28:41
Link | Citer | R

So, there are no homeless shelters in your area? Homeless people all die in the winters from freezing to death, and then a new group just pop out of the ground?

Try volunteering at a shelter sometime. It may change your perception on how much benefits people get for not having anything.

Also, thanks again for the personal attack. I'm sure you won't get called out on it and people will defend you from me making this statement.

Homeless shelters are woefully inadequate and have many, many shortcomings and problems that some people would rather brave freezing to death than go there. That you don't understand that one fact alone is enough to question any assertions you make of the homeless.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-11-20 09:29:09
Link | Citer | R

What I'm talking about is true destitution, which I know that nobody here has experienced.

What is your definition of "true destitution" and why are you claiming omniscience again?
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-20 09:29:44
Link | Citer | R

Everyone's history shapes who they are. Don't minimize someone else's hardship or boil their motivations down to cowardice unless you want to be under the microscope yourself.
I haven't, I stated a matter of fact. They use drugs before they do it.

I'm sorry this upsets Rooks sense of heroism, but it's not about me, it's what they do.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-20 09:30:48
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
So how much are people here willing to concede for the illusion of absolute safety?
What are we conceding at all here? The right to feel smug and noble about bringing in 10s of thousands of unskilled welfare-for-life refugees like the Tszarnaev bros?

It's more the left overcompensating for almost three years of ignoring the plight of the Syrian people because Obama drew a red line then backed down. Unfortunately, in their usual fashion they have to be extremely divisive and inflammatory. There is a lot of common ground on this issue. Nearly everyone agrees that we want to help Syrian refugees, but in the times we live in it is prudent to take extra caution when bringing in people from this particular region. It is not Xenophobic. It is not Islamophobic. It is not racist. But this is what is said about people that want to take extra caution when screening people from Syria. We are dealing with an enemy of all humanity whose tactics are to blend in and carry out suicide attacks against civilians. We only have to go back one week to see the devastation that one bad Syrian refugee can cause that slips through screening.

There is zero reason that this should be a divisive issue. Even after 7 years of President Obama, politicizing this surprised me.

Which is also why the guy is so dangerous for America and her people.
First Page 2 3 ... 1089 1090 1091 ... 1375 1376 1377