Random Politics & Religion #00

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1053 1054 1055 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-30 10:59:23
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Jassik said: »
The point is that there are lifelong hardships that are the result of disparate treatment and overly harsh sentences for minor offenders

and why shouldn't there be!?

how the hell else are you going to stop people from doing criminal ***!?

Don't worry, they'll all just self report to jails with no fences and rehabilitate voluntarily.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-30 11:02:50
Link | Citer | R

The point is that there are lifelong hardships that are the result of disparate treatment and overly harsh sentences for minor offenders

and why shouldn't there be!?

how the hell else are you going to stop people from doing criminal ***!?

Because it has the opposite effect, have you not been listening to anything anyone has said or do you just ignore new information in favor of convectional wisdom and preconception?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-10-30 11:07:23
Link | Citer | R

Do you think you should be locked into minimum wage dead end jobs for life because you were caught with some weed as a teenager?

are you saying that if I get caught with weed as a teenager I am too stupid to start my own business? or save money? or work more than one job?

Because lemme tell you, starting a business is for everyone and minimum wage jobs allow you plenty of room to save money!

And people love hiring hardened felons! Especially brown skinned felons!
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-10-30 11:10:38
Link | Citer | R

Commit a financial crime and get 2-4 years in prison, without good behavior. Engage in corruption in government, get 6-8 years.
Get caught with pot as a teenager and get decades in prison. More if you're a certain skin tone.

American "justice" everyone.

I'm not even saying that everyone can be rehabbed but the bent towards lock them up and throw away the key punishments is probably why once you go to prison, you're probably just going to get worse if you want to survive in there.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-30 11:14:47
Link | Citer | R

Do you not have a grasp of object permanence? Closing your eyes doesn't make things not real.

If you want to give up and surrender and lie on your couch and say "poor little me I can't do any of the things" and move to colorado and get on welfare and do nothing but smoke weed all day and eat cheetos....

YOU CAN!

you can do any goddamned thing you want!

YouTube Video Placeholder

george w bush snorted coke off a hookers *** and still got elected to president

TWICE!!!

I will never believe anyone when they tell me things can't be done because of reasons
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-30 11:16:50
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Because lemme tell you, starting a business is for everyone and minimum wage jobs allow you plenty of room to save money!

or just make keep making excuses which is a hell of a lot easier.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-10-30 11:16:52
Link | Citer | R

When in doubt, have a famous dad.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-30 11:18:40
Link | Citer | R

When in doubt, have a famous dad.

obama had a famous dad?

bill clinton?
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-30 11:19:13
Link | Citer | R

Get caught with pot as a teenager and get decades in prison. More if you're a certain skin tone.

Bull. Crap.

Getting decades in prison for smoking pot as a teenager is the norm? Were you smoking pot when you typed this?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-10-30 11:19:50
Link | Citer | R

or just make keep making excuses which is a hell of a lot easier.

Or deny reality and statistics which do not support your exceptionalistic viewpoints. Odds are if you go to jail, you're irreparably damaged both in the job market and your chances of escaping the cycle. Add points if you're brown. Subtract points if you have influential family.

You think people want to go back to jail after getting out? Especially for non-violent offenses?

Try a few months of unemployment before your boy gets you in on his get rich scheme which just happens to involve holding up Bob & sons liquor store.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-10-30 11:20:18
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Bull. Crap.

Getting decades in prison for smoking pot as a teenager is the norm? Were you smoking pot when you typed this?

We're talking about selling/distributing pot, not using it...

Also getting caught with pot on you has only become a 'eh, not a big deal offense'. Go back 25 years and you were in some deep ***. Not surprisingly, many of those people jailed have seen their lives rekt by the stigma of being jailed.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-30 11:27:48
Link | Citer | R

Bull. Crap.

We're talking about selling/distributing pot, not using it...

Also getting caught with pot on you has only become a 'eh, not a big deal offense'. Go back 25 years and you were in some deep ***. Not surprisingly, many of those people jailed have seen their lives rekt by the stigma of being jailed.

Yeah, still not the norm, especially for a teenager. Find me teenagers that were recently sentenced to decades in prison for selling/distributing pot. Good luck finding one, and even better luck finding one without a huge rap sheet to go with it.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-30 11:49:52
Link | Citer | R

Or deny reality and statistics .

what reality and statistics? that people are dumbasses?

you make your own reality.
and anyone that says you can't has his head firmly up his ***.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-30 12:16:53
Link | Citer | R

wait... stop the presses, hold the phone, just wait one minute...

are you trying to tell me that someone in prison didn't enjoy their time there?

/gasp

then certainly it is time to gut the whole system...

someone get the president on his phone....
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-30 12:21:53
Link | Citer | R

wait... stop the presses, hold the phone, just wait one minute...

are you trying to tell me that someone in prison didn't enjoy their time there?

/gasp

then certainly it is time to gut the whole system...

someone get the president on his phone....

Stop trying to hide your racism behind humor nik.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-30 12:31:38
Link | Citer | R

I would... but obama ended racism by royal decree...

you remember...that time when he used his pen and his phone to end inequality?

yes the 1% shall certainly never forget that horrible day when he made everything fair....

we're still licking our wounds and weeping softly
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-30 12:54:52
Link | Citer | R

we'll be all sitting around a hobo campfire warming up our boot leather dinner longing for the days of yesteryear when we used to incarcerate brown people for funsies...

remember when we ruined that one guy's life?

yeah.... that was pretty awesome...

it's too bad the democratic party had to go and get started seven years ago... and then ruin all of our evil fun.

yep there is nothing better than ruining people's lives so they can't afford to buy the SUVs we make out of baby seals you know the ones that make a toilet flushing sound every time you hit the gas pedal... I love driving it around in the spring and watching the trees die from the exhaust fumes... deer making that thumping noise when they fall over
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-30 13:01:17
Link | Citer | R

in other news....
this story has happy ending written all over it....

special forces deployed to syria
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-30 13:09:24
Link | Citer | R

in other news....

Especially if they accidentally get killed by Russian bombs.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-30 13:38:04
Link | Citer | R

in other news....

Especially if they accidentally get killed by Russian bombs.
Don't worry, Obama will protect them with a red line to Russia.

I mean, it worked so well in the past, especially involving Syria.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-10-30 14:33:49
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, still not the norm, especially for a teenager. Find me teenagers that were recently sentenced to decades in prison for selling/distributing pot. Good luck finding one, and even better luck finding one without a huge rap sheet to go with it.

I was curious, so I spent a few minutes searching.

Quote:
Lavoro's case made national headlines this summer as people learned that a Texan with an otherwise clean record could be sentenced to life in prison for the act of baking pot brownies. Possession of hashish or concentrates – in this case, the brownies and cookies – amounting to anywhere between 4 and 400 grams (of entire weight) carries a Texas prison sentence of 5-99 years. And the possession and intent to distribute charges could have added four more.

He ended up taking a plea deal. So he was not sentenced, but he was charged at age 19 with crimes that could have ended with decades in prison because of how the law is worded. He still may get a decade of prison + probation because other charges are still pending/not pleaded down yet.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-30 14:47:43
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said: »

I was curious, so I spent a few minutes searching.

Quote:
Lavoro's case made national headlines this summer as people learned that a Texan with an otherwise clean record could be sentenced to life in prison for the act of baking pot brownies. Possession of hashish or concentrates – in this case, the brownies and cookies – amounting to anywhere between 4 and 400 grams (of entire weight) carries a Texas prison sentence of 5-99 years. And the possession and intent to distribute charges could have added four more.

He ended up taking a plea deal. So he was not sentenced, but he was charged at age 19 with crimes that could have ended with decades in prison because of how the law is worded. He still may get a decade of prison + probation because other charges are still pending/not pleaded down yet.

Groovy, you may have found our outlier in the very unlikely condition that he get decades in prison for it. And look, he's not even "of a certain skin tone"!
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-30 14:48:10
Link | Citer | R

He had a POUND of weed and the article says he might avoid jail time altogether..

recently sentenced to decades in prison was what we were looking for .... but thank you for playing..

/end theme

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-10-30 15:10:02
Link | Citer | R

Groovy, you may have found our outlier in the very unlikely condition that he get decades in prison for it. And look, he's not even "of a certain skin tone"!

I found the outlier in the statistics that you haven't bothered to look into?

What amazing statistical powers you have. The ability to know the outcome without bothering to do any research.Y

Edit:
To be clear, I'm not claiming this is within the normal distribution or not. I've done no research into drug convictions that meet your requirements beyond one google search
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-30 15:30:57
Link | Citer | R

What amazing statistical powers you have. The ability to know the outcome without bothering to do any research.Y

Edit:
To be clear, I'm not claiming this is within the normal distribution or not. I've done no research into drug convictions that meet your requirements beyond one google search
For somebody who's not claiming that this is within the normal distribution or not, you certainly accuse Ravael of not doing research in something you are making a claim of doing, even though you admitted on doing only 1 search.

Just to let you know, 1 point of reference does an argument not make. I'm sure anyone could make a point in showing you multiple people with multiple offences receiving lifeterm sentences for a minor offence. Key word here is "multiple."

I would show you some public records, but I have neither the willpower nor enough medication to do so.

But Ravael is right, you may have found an outlier in a normal distribution where somebody without previous offences could have gotten a life term for a minor offence. Key words here are "may" and "could."
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-30 16:51:46
Link | Citer | R

Edit:

LOL. I've seen lame personal attacks in here, but that one was quite a stretch. No wonder Jassik liked it.

You didn't find what I asked for to begin with, and if there isn't an easy example to be found then it supports my point anyway. You'll have to excuse me for not doing a full-scale statistical analysis in the time from when the topic was brought up until now, though. I get paid to do that kind of stuff, so if you want to discuss a fee system I would be glad to research random P&R topics more in depth to suit your needs.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-30 18:42:43
Link | Citer | R

Edit:

LOL. I've seen lame personal attacks in here, but that one was quite a stretch. No wonder Jassik liked it.

You didn't find what I asked for to begin with, and if there isn't an easy example to be found then it supports my point anyway. You'll have to excuse me for not doing a full-scale statistical analysis in the time from when the topic was brought up until now, though. I get paid to do that kind of stuff, so if you want to discuss a fee system I would be glad to research random P&R topics more in depth to suit your needs.

For a man of science, you sure are quick to accept or dismiss individual data points with zero frame of reference. Kara called you out for doing exactly what you accuse everyone else of doing.

You really need to stop crying personal attack anytime you're addressed directly. That's not what it means.
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-10-30 19:22:13
Link | Citer | R

And in rats deserting a sinking ship news:

Bush Campaign Chief Departs Floundering Campaign
MSN from International Business Times

Quote:
As Republican candidate Jeb Bush's favorability ratings continue to sink, the campaign's chief operating officer has decamped. COO Christine Ciccone is the highest-ranking employee on the campaign to depart so far, reported the Wall Street Journal.

The news comes as the Bush campaign announced plans to cut salaries by 40 percent. Ciccone was paid around $12,000 a month, or about a $144,000 yearly salary.

“We are grateful to have had Christine on the team, we respect her immensely,” Bush spokesman Tim Miller told the Journal.

Ciccone has a long relationship with the Bush family. She previously worked in the President George W. Bush administration as a liaison to the Senate.

“I’ve got no comment," Ciconne told the Journal Friday. "I’ve just got to go."

Bush's favorability rating has plummeted since June. No other candidate's favorability among Republicans has fallen as sharply in that time frame, reported Five Thirty Eight.

Referring to Bush's campaign logo, the Daily Wire wrote "the exclamation point is gone."

The conventional wisdom was that Bush needed a strong performance in the third GOP primary debate Wednesday in Boulder, Colorado -- and failed to deliver. Now political observers are questioning how long the former front-runner can stay in the race.

"Jeb Bush's presidential campaign is facing a full-blown existential crisis," wrote CNN's Stephen Collinson. "The former Florida governor's attempt to revive his White House hopes during Wednesday's Republican debate by taking on his former protege, Sen. Marco Rubio, backfired badly. Instead, he delivered a performance drained of passion, fire and inspiration followed by a testy post-game interview that added up to a disastrous night for Bush."

Pundits described the campaign as terminal.

"The most significant story from last night is that Jeb Bush's campaign now finds itself on life support, especially after Bush swung and missed when trying to hit Rubio over his Senate voting record," wrote NBC News. "As one Republican operative told NBC's Peter Alexander, Bush had to demonstrate to his supporters and donors — after a rough last few weeks — that the former Florida governor could land a punch, particularly after telegraphing to the political world that it was coming. But Bush missed. Badly."

The Weekly Standard's headline went even further: "Jeb's Dead."
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-10-30 19:30:07
Link | Citer | R

I think he can hold out until the next GOP debate on Nov 10, which should be more focused on policy for a few reasons, namely its on Fox. But whats the point? He sucks at debating, his whole team knows this along with the rest of the country. There is no path he can take to increase his standing, just get out.
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-10-30 22:06:40
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
I think he can hold out until the next GOP debate on Nov 10, which should be more focused on policy for a few reasons, namely its on Fox....
/laugh
First Page 2 3 ... 1053 1054 1055 ... 1375 1376 1377