Random Politics & Religion #00

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1051 1052 1053 ... 1375 1376 1377

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-29 15:58:01
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I'm going back and forth on Jassik's comment, actually. I don't think it would be quite as effective as he says, but there are some serious problems with the system as it stands. I'd say some new methods are worth testing on small scales.

I don't doubt that the system needs work, but any notion that people will voluntarily imprison themselves, is beyond ignorant.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Serveur: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-10-29 16:07:38
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
I'm going back and forth on Jassik's comment, actually. I don't think it would be quite as effective as he says, but there are some serious problems with the system as it stands. I'd say some new methods are worth testing on small scales.

I don't doubt that the system needs work, but any notion that people will voluntarily imprison themselves, is beyond ignorant.
Why?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-29 16:10:51
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Milamber said: »

Why?

Look at how hard people try to avoid being caught. I'd say that's a good indicator.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-10-29 16:30:03
Link | Citer | R

Why?

Look at how hard people try to avoid being caught. I'd say that's a good indicator.
In what societies, for what crimes?
http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/09/why-scandinavian-prisons-are-superior/279949/
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-29 17:12:28
Link | Citer | R

Why?

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/09/why-scandinavian-prisons-are-superior/279949/

I'm aware of Scandinavian prison systems, but thanks. I assumed we were talking about the U.S., which isn't in Scandinavia. We're not going to be able to fix our problem all at once, which is why I said start small and we'll see what we can improve.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-10-29 17:16:57
Link | Citer | R

Why?

I'm aware of Scandinavian prison systems, but thanks. I assumed we were talking about the U.S., which isn't in Scandinavia. We're not going to be able to fix our problem all at once, which is why I said start small and we'll see what we can improve.
So...what you are saying that any notion that Americans will voluntarily imprison themselves, is beyond ignorant?
OK, why?
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-29 17:25:43
Link | Citer | R

There are already low security facilities with more or less open doors, nobody escapes because they're non-violent, generally white-collar criminals serving appropriate sentences who have more to lose by leaving than staying.

I'm not talking about violent criminals, I'm talking about the middle age professionals who get years of prison for having some off-label prescription narcotics or tax evasion. Realistically, a pretty small percentage of our current incarcerated population pose any real flight risk and would benefit much more from a rehab or vocational program. Removing them from society actually turns them into harder criminals. Try getting a job with a record.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-10-29 20:08:24
Link | Citer | R

When Jeb went after Marco Rubio.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-29 20:26:09
Link | Citer | R

Jassik said: »
Try getting a job with a record.

if only they had thought of that before committing the crimes we wouldn't need any prisons at all /rainbow
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-29 20:30:54
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Try getting a job with a record.

if only they had thought of that before committing the crimes we wouldn't need any prisons at all /rainbow

Yeah, hindsight and all that, but a shocking number of people end up taking plea deals because they can't afford representation.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-10-29 20:32:46
Link | Citer | R

It's taking a little longer than they thought for liberals to get the illegal immigrant vote so now they are courting the felon vote.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-29 20:37:24
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
It's taking a little longer than they thought for liberals to get the illegal immigrant vote so now they are courting the felon vote.

Felons can't vote, brah
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-10-29 20:37:53
Link | Citer | R

I know.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-29 20:39:48
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, hindsight and all that, but a shocking number of people end up taking plea deals because they can't afford representation.

how many you figure?
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-29 20:41:08
Link | Citer | R

how many you figure?

I have no idea how you'd even quantify it. Suffice it to say, there's definitely a lot of people with felony records that wouldn't have them if they'd had adequate counsel.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-29 20:42:23
Link | Citer | R

how is it a shocking number if you have no idea how many there are?
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-29 20:49:18
Link | Citer | R

The estimates alone are shocking. There's a few watchdog groups that have done studies as well as the DoJ's own analyses based on wrongful convictions discovered with DNA evidence. The innocence project said something like 3-5% of people in prison were innocent based on those same samples of people proven innocent with DNA evidence. That's in the neighborhood of 50-100K people in prison right now are flat out innocent. If even a comparable amount were railroaded into plea deals or were dropped by the system and not given good representation, it's shocking, and based on what I've seen from other sources, it's likely even higher.

I didn't say I have no idea how many, I said I don't know how you'd quantify it.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-29 20:55:04
Link | Citer | R

DoJ says 90-95% of cases end in a plea bargain
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-29 21:00:41
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
DoJ says 90-95% of cases end in a plea bargain

That's federal only? Felony? All cases?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-29 21:03:14
Link | Citer | R

State and Federal
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-10-29 21:28:09
Link | Citer | R

Felons can't vote, brah
I know.
In some states they can.

how many you figure?
19 in 20. Its in that nifty article about Scandinavian prison practices.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-30 09:07:18
Link | Citer | R

The estimates alone are shocking.

no they aren't.... you're just easily taken by surprise or just plain gullible...

Garuda.Chanti said: »

LOL!

oh yeah right I forgot everyone in prison is innocent! they were railroaded by teh man.

How silly of me I forgot how much teh man likes to put innocent people in prison....

that's what I will be doing all weekend.... finding innocent people and tricking them into confessing to crimes they didn't commit... yeah

and putting impotency drugs in churches fried chicken... and corrupting the vaccine supply...steal some baby's candy

I better get started!
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-30 09:17:33
Link | Citer | R

The estimates alone are shocking.

no they aren't.... you're just easily taken by surprise or just plain gullible...

Garuda.Chanti said: »

LOL!

oh yeah right I forgot everyone in prison is innocent! they were railroaded by teh man.

How silly of me I forgot how much teh man likes to put innocent people in prison....

that's what I will be doing all weekend.... finding innocent people and tricking them into confessing to crimes they didn't commit... yeah

and putting impotency drugs in churches fried chicken... and corrupting the vaccine supply...steal some baby's candy

I better get started!

19 in 20 cases were plea deals, not innocent.

And, no, I'm not gullible. Our legal system was constructed to keep innocent people out of jail and its obviously got some glaring issues.

How is the prospect that nearly a quarter million Americans are in prison wrongly not shocking? Or do you just assume that they must have done something else they didn't get caught for?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-10-30 09:27:45
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
we're done
That's it. It's the end of the world. Goodbye America, it's been a pleasure.

Long after the Western US falls to the barbarian tribes, the East will endure.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-30 09:28:50
Link | Citer | R

Our legal system was constructed to keep innocent people out of jail

I'm going to stop you right here because this is my point.

I like how your numbers climbed from 50k-100k to 250k overnight lol

why would you assume they are innocent if they copped a plea deal?

that makes no sense.

think about it for a minute. who could it possibly benefit to stick an innocent man in jail?

and think about this one. OJ had great lawyers and got off for a double murder he absolutely committed.

do you think OJ is innocent?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-30 09:37:35
Link | Citer | R

do you think OJ is innocent?
Orange Juice is always innocent, I mean, look at it.

Who in their right mind would convict that?

Don't mind me though. /goes back to sleep.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-10-30 09:37:40
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
think about it for a minute. who could it possibly benefit to stick an innocent man in jail?

Kids for cash scandal.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-30 09:37:41
Link | Citer | R

and am I the only one that thinks "the great wall of america" has a nice ring to it?

I would totally pack up the family into the station wagon and go see that ***...

walk across the top of it for half a mile.

toss some bread crumbs to the poor children on the other side...

look through those binocular stand things you have to stick a quarter in to get them to work...
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-30 09:38:46
Link | Citer | R

why would you assume they are innocent if they copped a plea deal?

that makes no sense.

Extremely overworked public defenders who convince people to take a deal instead of risking it at trial because they have so many cases they can't provide an adequate defense
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 1051 1052 1053 ... 1375 1376 1377