Spharai still worth it
First Page 2
 Lakshmi.Bounci
Serveur: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: susan1983
By Lakshmi.Bounci 2014-05-24 14:11:27
Link | Citer | R

I have Oatixur. Was wondering if getting Spharai is still worth it.
 Siren.Kyte
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2014-05-24 14:18:33
Link | Citer | R

It probably isn't the best use of your time.
By Chyula 2014-05-24 14:20:44
Link | Citer | R

ACC is Sexy in anything that matters.
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-05-24 14:30:33
Link | Citer | R

With the changes Square has coming for mnk, SPECIFICALLY.... one might hold off on any thoughts about obtaining spharai.

BG posted Square translation;
Quote:
I won't say we'll weaken Monks but we are thinking of ways that other classes will be able to defeat Monks. As presented in the recent Freshly Picked Vana'Diel, the June update will bring with it adjustments to weapon skills. At the same time, we will also be adjusting the formula for how TP is gained, and try to reduce the disadvantages that come with certain delay values. We hope through these adjustments, the gap between attacker classes will shrink, so please check it out when the next update comes.

In addition to this, we are thinking of making monsters that are strong to blunt and breath (as in, Formless strikes) damage, or enemies that are vulnerable to magic damage, etc. Through this you may find certain attacking jobs more suited to certain content.

We do think there are several pro/cons to this idea though, and we don't have plans to make it so that a single job is always optimal for something, so we would like if players would give us feedback on this solution.
By Chyula 2014-05-24 15:24:18
Link | Citer | R

WTF SE fail to realize its the huge HP pool monk have over other jobs, and not just about crunch out numbers. PPL don't bring other jobs not because it can't crunch out numbers but it can't survive those HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE 2k+ dmg spam.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2014-05-24 15:31:42
Link | Citer | R

Chyula said: »
WTF SE fail to realize its the huge HP pool monk have over other jobs, and not just about crunch out numbers. PPL don't bring other jobs not because it can't crunch out numbers but it can't survive those HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE 2k+ dmg spam.

Who freed Chyula from his cage?
 Lakshmi.Bounci
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: susan1983
By Lakshmi.Bounci 2014-05-24 15:45:56
Link | Citer | R

thank you for the info guys =)
 Shiva.Tedril
Serveur: Shiva
user: Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-05-24 16:07:54
Link | Citer | R

Ever heard of dt sets? This is wrong.
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-05-24 16:11:32
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Bounci said: »
thank you for the info guys =)
Spharai is not just dps though also it is utility, if monk is your main dd job then Go for it. It is the cheapest clear upgrade and also does not rely upon aftermath. Having said that though it also has the lowest peak points vs vere or glanz. I would wait to begin/not turn in currency if you decide to swap to glanz if that is a viable option for you if the weapon skill changes effect asetic's fury.
By Chyula 2014-05-24 16:15:12
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Tedril said: »

there is a reason they say "OPTIMAL". btw 99% of the population don't think like you. You even said it in your own reply below, its the utility to survive beside the 2 damage phrase monk have over tojil.
By Chyula 2014-05-24 16:19:05
Link | Citer | R

Pantafernando said: »

GM-DAVE gave me the master key.
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-05-24 16:20:30
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Tedril said: »

there is a reason they say "OPTIMAL". btw 99% of the population don't think like you. You even said it in your own reply below, its the utility to survive beside the 2 damage phrase monk have over tojil.
Not really, it's the damage phases for tojil, any job geared right will survive tojil, also against tojil your sch determines you surviving (with a bit of luck). You die of you hit stun wall unless low man and squeeze out with mighty fine heals. He fact is monks to
Gain to weapon skill damage ratio is insane. I would
See how it could help but it's just not needed. If it is needed high end content you will probably die anyway.
By Pantafernando 2014-05-24 16:27:31
Link | Citer | R

It was his life biggest mistake.
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-05-24 16:47:56
Link | Citer | R

I miss GM-Dave's blog/postings/whatever they were. Feeding ***to fluffy, always an epic read *glee*. Even if totally ***.
By fillerbunny9 2014-05-24 16:50:24
Link | Citer | R

the reason Monk is en vogue is because it pairs nicely with /NIN. Monk has never been a weak damage dealer, however you were only allowed to play Samurai in the last several years of the 75 cap days because any idiot can Gekko all the things. since the game is so thoroughly and completely focused on using massive AoE damage to ruin your front line, Monk has found its niche by swinging both fast and hard, whereas most other DD only get one side or the other of this coin.

perhaps we'll see a return of Warriors carting around a pair of axes again as the new thing, but I doubt it. the only way that SE could really hope to fix this would be to institute different delay reductions for different jobs, or make it so that casting Utsusemi every 10 seconds didn't completely destroy your swing timer on that massive hulking two hander that the other premier DDs are using.

or we could just keep throwing Rangers at everything. Annihilator has never been so popular....
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-05-24 17:41:21
Link | Citer | R

eslim said: »
OATs and spharai are close to the same dot but with the update to relic/mythic WS' coming next month, maybe final heaven will be better than victory smite lol..
Weapon skill doesn't effect spharai damage. And it's 10% higher dps pontential and real practice is often more than that.
 Cerberus.Conagh
Serveur: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-05-24 17:47:55
Link | Citer | R

Huge HP? SE lowered the Race differences for HP, I personally on Samurai has 2192 HP as a Hume..

Realistically more hp is always helpful but I would favor TP moves that don't hit for 2k damage.

P.S. BLU has the advantage over all jobs on tojil for all 4 phases !
 Ragnarok.Littleanimal
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Beanie
By Ragnarok.Littleanimal 2014-05-24 17:48:36
Link | Citer | R

Not sure if it's been said or not but I've always been lead to believe that this weapon main purpose was for monk tanking if not for dd'ing. So it has some use in that over oat's doesn't it?
 Cerberus.Conagh
Serveur: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-05-24 17:50:45
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Littleanimal said: »
Not sure if it's been said or not but I've always been lead to believe that this weapon main purpose was for monk tanking if not for dd'ing. So it has some use in that over oat's doesn't it?

Does the counter on the relic proc if the nms attacks are AoE?
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-24 18:27:29
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Valli said: »
With the changes Square has coming for mnk, SPECIFICALLY.... one might hold off on any thoughts about obtaining spharai.

BG posted Square translation;
Quote:
I won't say we'll weaken Monks but we are thinking of ways that other classes will be able to defeat Monks. As presented in the recent Freshly Picked Vana'Diel, the June update will bring with it adjustments to weapon skills. At the same time, we will also be adjusting the formula for how TP is gained, and try to reduce the disadvantages that come with certain delay values. We hope through these adjustments, the gap between attacker classes will shrink, so please check it out when the next update comes.

In addition to this, we are thinking of making monsters that are strong to blunt and breath (as in, Formless strikes) damage, or enemies that are vulnerable to magic damage, etc. Through this you may find certain attacking jobs more suited to certain content.

We do think there are several pro/cons to this idea though, and we don't have plans to make it so that a single job is always optimal for something, so we would like if players would give us feedback on this solution.
How to spot a flavor-of-the-month player:

"SE vaguely hinted at nerfing the current FotM, so I'm already gearing up to swap out my merits and jump on the next passing bandwagon. Or Samurai again, whichever."

Is Spharai worth the time? Better questions: Do you like Monk and do you intend to continue playing it? If so, pursuing an RME weapon may be worth your time if you have that time to spend.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2014-05-24 18:37:33
Link | Citer | R

Currently, tinhaspa is better than oats, so you shouldnt really compare oat with spharai.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Serveur: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-05-24 19:18:05
Link | Citer | R

Currently, tinhaspa is better than oats, so you shouldnt really compare oat with spharai.

arguably easier to obtain as well.
 Sylph.Limlight
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Limlight 2014-05-25 13:30:03
Link | Citer | R

str path tin right?
By Pantafernando 2014-05-25 13:35:54
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Limlight said: »
str path tin right?

Go for acc.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-25 13:37:10
Link | Citer | R

Pet att if you're a serious lolpup
 Leviathan.Andret
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2014-05-25 14:01:15
Link | Citer | R

I'd say don't get spharai unless you really want it. Stat wise, it's only slightly better than the next non-REM weapon. It's not really a game-changing item that it was but more or less 'oh, it's nice'.

On the other Mnk topic, I think people find it hard to really pin down any one thing that makes Mnk what it is. The HP? the DMG? Formless Strikes?

I personally, think Mnk is the single strongest one-handed job without relying on a sub job, pets and other buffs. The next candidate for strong one-handed DD would be War and Nin and Nin isn't in the top 5-DD and War lacks acc. Combine with FS and survival capabilities then you have a job that works well in almost any situation. It's not the strongest DD, it's not the most versatile and it not even the most enduring job but it's easiest to play well and it works.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-05-25 14:19:01
Link | Citer | R

Monk has Impetus, high base weapon damage, and lots of multi-attack on standard TP gear. It's not going to outdamage the heavy DD's (SAM, WAR, DRK, mythic DRG) all the time but it's within striking distance... then you look at the utility and monk is just win for a lot of current content.

Anyway, yes, build Spharai. It's a nice weapon and relics aren't too hard to build these days. Your alternatives are:

-Tinhaspa, which is nice on acc. path but isn't as versatile as relic, and which is one of the most hideous H2H models in the game
-Oatixur, which has the stigma of "bandwagon monk who isn't serious about the job"
-Verethragna, which are currently very expensive to build but offer marginally more damage
-Glanzfaust, which have a higher damage ceiling under ideal conditions, but again are very expensive AND very time-consuming to build
[+]
 Sylph.Limlight
By Sylph.Limlight 2014-05-25 16:37:51
Link | Citer | R

Does anyone have the the rough numbers on what %spharai are ahead of tin/oats?
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-05-25 17:25:45
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Limlight said: »
Does anyone have the the rough numbers on what %spharai are ahead of tin/oats?
This is in multiple other threads, but it thought to be about 10%.
First Page 2