U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 44 45 46
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-12 16:36:46
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Kara said: »
Altimaomega said: »
The entire debate has been over hypothesis testing a simple little scientific tool. While of coarse engineering has that tool, its not the only one that was used to build the machines capable of sending stuff to other planets and smashing atoms together.

Yet you guys wanna use one simple little tool to present biased data as fact and then compare it to building modern marvels.
How do you think those modern marvels were built?
Aliens.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-05-12 16:37:51
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Global warming nut jobs sound just as absurd as the religious people they frequently try and mock.

"We've angered the earth and we must atone for our sins."

Your 'scientists' are nothing more than big tent revival priests who tap into your own sense of guilt and offer you salvation from it for the right price.....

YouTube Video Placeholder

I prefer to kick the earths *** on extreme mode.

how about in 16 bit mode?
By Altimaomega 2014-05-12 16:41:17
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Send a sensory device the size of a small car to a planet 30 million miles away: "Yeah, that's cool. Why not?"

Discover previously unconfirmed elementary constituents of matter by smashing particles together at near light speeds: "Wow, science can do such interesting things!"

Describe and predict current and future climate deviations from baseline levels based on well-substantiated physical theory and supported by enormous amounts of observational evidence: "NOW HOLD THE *** PHONE SAVE THAT ***FOR SYFY MOVIES SCIENCE IS DUMB IT'S COLD IN MY ROOM THEREFORE POTATO"
You forgot to include "states bold claims for hypothetical findings" in your last sentence.

But then again, for you, hypothesis = fact.

He also must believe that science (AKA hypothesis testing) did these things and not Engineering.
Engineering bases a lot of it's final productions on hypothesis testing as well. "If I do this... this should do that" kind of thing.

My god, stick to milk.
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Send a sensory device the size of a small car to a planet 30 million miles away: "Yeah, that's cool. Why not?"

Discover previously unconfirmed elementary constituents of matter by smashing particles together at near light speeds: "Wow, science can do such interesting things!"

Describe and predict current and future climate deviations from baseline levels based on well-substantiated physical theory and supported by enormous amounts of observational evidence: "NOW HOLD THE *** PHONE SAVE THAT ***FOR SYFY MOVIES SCIENCE IS DUMB IT'S COLD IN MY ROOM THEREFORE POTATO"
You forgot to include "states bold claims for hypothetical findings" in your last sentence.

But then again, for you, hypothesis = fact.

He also must believe that science (AKA hypothesis testing) did these things and not Engineering.

What the hell do you think engineering is if it is not science?

The entire debate has been over hypothesis testing a simple little scientific tool. While of coarse engineering has that tool, its not the only one that was used to build the machines capable of sending stuff to other planets and smashing atoms together.

Yet you guys wanna use one simple little tool to present biased data as fact and then compare it to building modern marvels.

There was a large amount of testing (hypothesis testing) done before anyone built a physical object. Hell there is testing after an object is built.

There is a documentary of how the LHC was built, pretty interesting. A lot planning and testing went on before anything was built.

lol thanks for helping me make my point. They wanna claim global warming to be built and that all the kinks have been worked out. Which they themselves say is not the case in the hypothesis testing that they use.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Serveur: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-05-12 16:41:44
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-05-12 16:42:06
Link | Citer | R

I give up. Night all
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-05-12 16:42:07
Link | Citer | R

Seems like biased data. Clearly pro-adventurer propaganda. No one can truly defeat the Lord of Crags in 3 minutes.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-12 16:42:41
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Except the one thing I've really not seen him doing is addressing the question I always ask: can humans fix this? Debating whether current trends are anthropogenic or not has some merit (best to know where the disease comes from in order to treat it, after all), but if we're ultimately impotent to meaningfully alter it, then debating about it is just another puff of methane wafting into the upper atmosphere.
I was actually hoping against all hope that the conversation would steer that way (I tried to provide the nudge within my OP, but perhaps it wasn't forceful enough). However, I'm not nearly that naive to presume that the conversation wouldn't inevitably go the predictable route. (I also didn't expect an all-out derp assault on the basic tenets of the scientific method, but I've learned to never set my expectations too low as it ruins the surprise!)

Sadly, this is the conversation the country is having instead of the one we should be having regarding effective mitigation strategies. It took an enormous change in the fundamental way human society works to create this mess and it will take another such adaptation to make headway into getting out of it BUT we're still arguing about if that jagged bone sticking out of our thigh is really serious or if we should just take a salt tablet and walk it off.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-05-12 16:43:50
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
It seems that this analogy isn't sufficient.
You are complaining about someone only using female cows to produce milk at their dairy farm.

I thought about just ignoring this.. but I'm interested to know wtf your talking about. please tell me more.
By fonewear 2014-05-12 16:44:32
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

Aliens.

Crab people.

Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-12 16:47:00
Link | Citer | R

Switch to rat milk?

I heard that's what mobsters do.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-12 16:48:50
Link | Citer | R

Is soy milk considered dairy?
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-05-12 16:50:22
Link | Citer | R

You are complaining about someone only using female cows to produce milk at their dairy farm.

I thought about just ignoring this.. but I'm interested to know wtf your talking about. please tell me more.
Your complaints about only using hypothesis testing is analogous to only using female cows to get cow milk. It is somewhat the entire basis of the enterprise.

Formally or informally, hypothesis testing is the basis for how things are created(particularly at large scales); the costs and consequences are too large to do otherwise.
By Altimaomega 2014-05-12 16:52:57
Link | Citer | R

nope
 Shiva.Onorgul
Serveur: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-12 16:54:24
Link | Citer | R

Sadly, this is the conversation the country is having instead of the one we should be having regarding effective mitigation strategies. It took an enormous change in the fundamental way human society works to create this mess and it will take another such adaptation to make headway into getting out of it BUT we're still arguing about if that jagged bone sticking out of our thigh is really serious or if we should just take a salt tablet and walk it off.
Temporarily ignoring that you really didn't actually answer my question (nor do I strictly expect you to because we don't have a definitive answer yet), the solace that can be taken is that, although it may have taken us somewhere between 300 and 2,000 years to manufacture the current trend (which isn't necessarily all that unnatural -- humans are far from the only species that has changed the planet's climate), the rate at which our technological development has grown in the past 100 years implies that we may be able to sort out a fix both before it is too late and sooner than later.

I must say that I find it slightly dispiriting to see see people praise the hubris and folly of man in damaging the environment so efficiently while simultaneously holding to the belief that we could never fix it. Every time we figure out a new way to kill someone, for instance, we find a better way to keep another alive, but people seem gloomily determined to focus only on the former. And yet I'm called a pessimist.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-12 16:54:41
Link | Citer | R

I think someone somewhere told me that they've been using soy milk in China for the past 1,800 years and that before 1949 there were no cows in China.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-12 16:55:59
Link | Citer | R

nope
Good, because from what I've heard, real diary isn't good for you anyways.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-12 16:56:09
Link | Citer | R

Formally or informally, hypothesis testing is the basis for how things are created(particularly at large scales); the costs and consequences are too large to do otherwise.
Isn't that a bit of a truism? "I have an idea, therefore it works," is not a statement that likely gets made often, even if the method by which the idea is tested is flawed, fallacious, or downright insane.
By Altimaomega 2014-05-12 16:57:10
Link | Citer | R

Your complaints about only using hypothesis testing is analogous to only using female cows to get cow milk. It is somewhat the entire basis of the enterprise.

Are you trying to say it takes bull semen to impregnate a heifer so she can bear a calve in order to produce milk? Or do you really think that you can get cow milk from something other than a cow?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-12 16:58:17
Link | Citer | R

And all the methane from cow farts should be harvested for energy instead of causing the globe to warm to apocalyptic proportions.
By Altimaomega 2014-05-12 16:59:33
Link | Citer | R

nope
Good, because from what I've heard, real diary isn't good for you anyways.

Nothing is good for you anymore, I have heard good things about arsenic though.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-05-12 17:00:25
Link | Citer | R

Temporarily ignoring that you really didn't actually answer my question (nor do I strictly expect you to because we don't have a definitive answer yet), the solace that can be taken is that, although it may have taken us somewhere between 300 and 2,000 years to manufacture the current trend (which isn't necessarily all that unnatural -- humans are far from the only species that has changed the planet's climate), the rate at which our technological development has grown in the past 100 years implies that we may be able to sort out a fix both before it is too late and sooner than later.

I must say that I find it slightly dispiriting to see see people praise the hubris and folly of man in damaging the environment so efficiently while simultaneously holding to the belief that we could never fix it. Every time we figure out a new way to kill someone, for instance, we find a better way to keep another alive, but people seem gloomily determined to focus only on the former. And yet I'm called a pessimist.

There really isn't a question that we can fix it; the question, frankly, is how badly can we *** it up while trying to do so.
There are plans for cloud seeding, solar umbrellas, and pumped underground CO2 storage, just a few of the less far out ideas.

These all take time to properly evaluate and implement. Reducing emissions allows more thought to go intomsolutions, rather than panicked scrambling.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-12 17:00:30
Link | Citer | R

Are you trying to say it takes bull semen to impregnate a heifer so she can bear a calve in order to produce milk? Or do you really think that you can get cow milk from something other than a cow?
Wow. Do you go through life hearing a constant whooshing sound or have your ears learned to tune it out?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-05-12 17:07:18
Link | Citer | R

My thoughts on all this cow ***.

NSFW:
By Altimaomega 2014-05-12 17:09:37
Link | Citer | R

Wow. Do you go through life hearing a constant whooshing sound or have your ears learned to tune it out?

So sorry that this analogy makes no sense to me, fml for trying to understand wtf he is trying to get at.

Edit: I do have a slight buzzing sound in my left ear, but my tinfoil hat blocks it out pretty good.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-12 17:10:04
Link | Citer | R

I think someone somewhere told me that they've been using soy milk in China for the past 1,800 years and that before 1949 there were no cows in China.
They used various types of animal milk, but the prospect of cow milk wasn't introduced until around the early 1920's to late 1940's, due to problems cultivating and raising dairy cows (or bovines in general), and due to the rampant growth of, and high production rate of soy beans, soy products were a general staple in a lot of foods.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-05-12 17:53:35
Link | Citer | R

So global warming is the cause of soy milk in China ?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-12 17:56:45
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »
So global warming is the cause of soy milk in China ?
No, it's the soy milk in China that's causing global warming.

A scientist said so.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-12 18:02:23
Link | Citer | R

[+]
By fonewear 2014-05-12 18:03:00
Link | Citer | R

I have to get back to my research: