Looking For A Decent Laptop To Play FFXIV On

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXIV » General » Looking for a decent laptop to play FFXIV on
Looking for a decent laptop to play FFXIV on
By Lobster 2014-01-17 17:18:31
Link | Citer | R

Hello all!

I will soon be travelling quite a bit and looking to play FFXIV on my downtime. I'm still a bit wet behind the ears in computer tech, but I'm learning. For now, I am looking for recommendations on a good laptop to play FFXIV on, preferrably on max settings while saving the most I can, budget-wise. Here are some pointers:

1) Budget isn't too cheap, $1000-$1500 is ideal, Alienware's 18 is a bit excessive as I will probably only be playing FFXIV on the laptop.

2) I already have a desktop, please don't recommend this. The main point is I need something on the go. I don't want to lug around my rig.

3) By comparison, I have an i5-3570k CPU @ 3.40GHz with a GeForce 660Ti, and it runs FFXIV on max decently when it isn't cluttered with players. Something comparible is what I am looking for.

4) I am not without a bit of research. Currently eyeing the Lenovo Ideapad Y510P which seems like a good deal, though they mention it chugs a bit on some games on max settings with its GeForce 750M (no FFXIV benchmarks). What is a comparable desktop card to this one? Is there one comaprable to my 660 Ti? As I mentioned, I'll probably only play FFXIV on it (and less-demanding games, probably) so anything that can run it comfortably would be fine.

EDIT : I am also sort of considering a Surface Pro 2 only because I love its portability and my brother ran FFXIV on the original Surface Pro at so-so settings. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-01-17 17:40:39
Link | Citer | R

As to what's equivalent cardwise check out this chart:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

And this refurbished unit was in today's Newegg mailer:

ASUS G46VW-BSI5N06 Intel Core i5 3230M
Intel Core i5 3230M (2.60GHz)
8GB Memory 750GB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
Windows 8 64-Bit

I play on an i7 660m, pretty smooth.

Edit: way under your budget.
 Cerberus.Corphish
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Lobster
By Cerberus.Corphish 2014-01-17 18:01:08
Link | Citer | R

Thanks for the info! I'm a bit weary of refurbished due to past experiences, but I'll definitely consider it since I could save a ton.

I'm still having a bit of trouble deciphering this chart (wet ears, etc.)... I don't see the 750M mentioned in it. I know it says mobile cards lack alot of testing, is it due to that? So according to this chart, the 680M is the closest to my 660TI (and the best mobile card on here)? And your 660M runs decently on max settings?
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
By Arkanethered Asura 2014-01-18 16:28:20
Link | Citer | R

Ill vouch for a Lenovo laptop. I've had my think pad with dual SLI 650m for about 6 months. I travel a lot and have quite a bit of hotel downtime and its great. It's not full blown max settings but its close enough for me to be happy with the 1100 I dropped on it.

Picture is crisp and rarely lags on unlimited fps.
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-01-18 17:40:29
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Corphish said: »
I'm still having a bit of trouble deciphering this chart (wet ears, etc.)... I don't see the 750M mentioned in it. I know it says mobile cards lack alot of testing, is it due to that? So according to this chart, the 680M is the closest to my 660TI (and the best mobile card on here)? And your 660M runs decently on max settings?
Yeah that chart can make your eyes bleed.

I don't run max settings but somewhere over default. I have the graphics set to quality and in game settings are medium high to high.

Smooth = decent framerates and no stuttering or frame dropping even in crowded towns and camps.