Mommy I Want Plus Size Barbie
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 14 15 16
 Leviathan.Andret
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2014-01-07 15:47:58
Link | Citer | R

I don't know about you guys but those life-like dolls are creeping me out. Do kids actually play with those?
 Shiva.Onorgul
Serveur: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-01-07 15:50:14
Link | Citer | R

@Zahrah: If you'd prefer, I could just insult you next time instead of using an absurd phrase in a clearly pointless attempt to display levity. By all means, get defensive and have a conniption; it really does suit your argument to ignore all of the substance and latch onto the wan bit of humor I attempted to inject as an afterthought.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-01-07 15:59:05
Link | Citer | R

Then try hysterical paroxysm.

In the meantime, you raised a point and I responded to it. Do you want to continue that argument or are you going to continue whining about a spelling error? As a reminder, doing the latter suggests you don't give a toss about the former.

And, for the record, you've offended me on more than one occasion. Are we even? Can we get back on topic?

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Serveur: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-01-07 16:06:07
Link | Citer | R

I thought you were legitimately pissed about a simple error and whining yourself. Misunderstood. So we both offend each other, good deal.

I honestly don't feel like arguing, I'm simply bringing up a perspective that none of you take into consideration because it's not your personal experience. For the record, I don't even like arguing.

I should have exited with Leila, because it's been disintegrating into the same old ***...A bunch of clueless *** talking about their assumptions. That's how these all end up. Not really that upset with you in particular. This is all just a reminder of a grating universal truth.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-01-07 16:07:22
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Hmmm...I seem to remember Bacon having a term for that.

Anal retentive!
[+]
 Leviathan.Kincard
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2014-01-07 16:12:27
Link | Citer | R

I'm simply bringing up a perspective that none of you take into consideration because it's not your personal experience

Depends on which part of the conversation you're referring to, because if we were going to actually discuss whether little girls are affected by their toys or not, anybody's personal experience, man or woman, isn't really relevant (or at least not that important). A couple pages back there's been conflicting studies talking about whether or not they're actually affected by it. If you want to claim that that research is pointless because little girls don't buy Barbies anymore, sales figures would probably be the best way to prove your point.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-01-07 16:14:53
Link | Citer | R

You raise a debate and then shy away from it. That's not strictly cognitive dissonance, but it is silly. Hypocritical, almost.

Anyhow, your assertions are wrong. As demonstrated, several people here have admitted to doing exactly what you inquired: buying things for little girls. I guess the fact that it destabilizes your argument means you get to ignore it, right? That is generally the rule with these things. More to the point, though, is that personal experience is neither necessary nor helpful.

I've noticed that you place an excessive amount of weight on your own personal experience while completely excluding that of anyone else, unless, of course, they agree with you. Anecdote is not evidence, though, and your experiences are limited. Do I need to be a grown woman to understand how toys affect women? I suppose, then, you're in no place to talk about how toys are affecting 7-year-old girls today because you're neither 7-years-old in 2013 nor will you ever have been.

I must say that it is remarkably insulting the way that you go out of your way to start a debate, then scarper while insulting everyone and saying what awful people they are. Don't bring your bat and ball if you're just going to foul out a few times and then explain that we're all jerks for trying to play along.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Serveur: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-01-07 16:16:25
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Kincard said: »
I'm simply bringing up a perspective that none of you take into consideration because it's not your personal experience

Depends on which part of the conversation you're referring to, because if we were going to actually discuss whether little girls are affected by their toys or not, anybody's personal experience, man or woman, isn't really relevant (or at least not that important). A couple pages back there's been conflicting studies talking about whether or not they're actually affected by it. If you want to claim that that research is pointless because little girls don't buy Barbies anymore, sales figures would probably be the best way to prove your point.

I was about to reference your contributions, but I need to go anyway.

All these threads end up the same!

EDIT: It's pretty damn clear you're just looking for fights, Ono. Fight with someone else. Or is it because Leila and I defended dance, and you're displacing your dance baggage on us, now that you have the opportunity to anonymously transpose those hang-ups?
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-01-07 16:22:57
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
You raise a debate and then shy away from it. That's not strictly cognitive dissonance, but it is silly. Hypocritical, almost.

Anyhow, your assertions are wrong. As demonstrated, several people here have admitted to doing exactly what you inquired: buying things for little girls. I guess the fact that it destabilizes your argument means you get to ignore it, right? That is generally the rule with these things. More to the point, though, is that personal experience is neither necessary nor helpful.

I've noticed that you place an excessive amount of weight on your own personal experience while completely excluding that of anyone else, unless, of course, they agree with you. Anecdote is not evidence, though, and your experiences are limited. Do I need to be a grown woman to understand how toys affect women? I suppose, then, you're in no place to talk about how toys are affecting 7-year-old girls today because you're neither 7-years-old in 2013 nor will you ever have been.

I must say that it is remarkably insulting the way that you go out of your way to start a debate, then scarper while insulting everyone and saying what awful people they are. Don't bring your bat and ball if you're just going to foul out a few times and then explain that we're all jerks for trying to play along.

First ditch the hostility.

Secondly, there is nothing wrong with people using personal experience as a basis for their argument. This isn't a formal psychologist forum where we're requiring residencies in child psychology for input.

Most of the arguments in this particular thread have not utilized a proper citation from the APA or a licensed psychologist.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-01-07 16:25:59
Link | Citer | R

Funny, I was going to accuse you of the same thing. You're the one who launched into a bloody tirade just because I corrected a spelling error. You'd think I'd written nothing but a snide and nasty remark on your illiteracy the way that you're carrying on. If anyone is spoiling for a fight, it is clearly you with these constant "You all suck, I'm leaving... but, wait, here's another thing, now I'm going... no, I'm really going after I insult you once more" game.

If I'm not being clear: I'm seriously *** offended right now.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Serveur: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-01-07 16:49:53
Link | Citer | R

I'm seriously *** offended right now.

then you should probably go do something else for a bit, it's a stranger on the internet, arguing about things that have no direct bearing on your life....

/buysthehousearound
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Serveur: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-01-07 17:08:56
Link | Citer | R

I know I'm not the best at arguing for the sake of arguing, but you all come off really naive about girls' interactions with other girls and playing with toys when they're really young. You may as well dump every toy tailor-made for gender roles in the mix if you're going to whine about Barbie's influence on girls' psyches.
I'll admit straight up that I do everything in my power to avoid girls and women whenever possible. I'm the eldest of three boys, no less, so I didn't grow up with a sister.

However, most of the argument is not about the explicit value judgments that 7-year-old girls make about their toys but, rather, about the implicit cultural values imparted by those same toys. For all that children tend to be a font of whatever thought is currently dancing across their frontal cortex, they're not going to be able to say, after playing with Barbie, "I'm going to spend the next 30 years obsessing about being thin." Longitudinal and even instant-reaction studies suggest, though, that she does have that kind of impact, as do a host of other sexed toys (here "sexed" means they are aimed at a specific gender, not that the toys have a gender in themselves).

That said, my little brother was obsessed with Barbie until he started middle school and is now borderline anorexic. It's pure anecdote and has no scientific validity, but it is nonetheless a thing that has happened.

Also, for the love of butter, the word is "aisle." An "isle" is an isolated patch of land in the middle of a large body of water.

Am I the only one who doesn't see a lifelong focus on being thin as a bad thing?

People will always push things to the extreme, but I see nothing wrong with having reasonable examples of healthy adults as role models for children.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-01-07 17:10:52
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Jassik said: »
People will always push things to the extreme
This is why I used the word "obsessing" instead of "focus."
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-01-07 17:13:14
Link | Citer | R

Am I the only one who doesn't see a lifelong focus on being thin as a bad thing?

beats me, I live in the midwest usa, & everyone here's fat.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-01-07 17:15:12
Link | Citer | R

So because some people obsess about something we should put an obese role model in the mix so obese children aren't negatively affected? Maybe we should put that energy into figuring out why so many children are obese and unhappy and SOLVE THE REAL PROBLEM.

Also, for a gay guy, you have an unhealthy fixation with protecting the children.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-01-07 17:16:09
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Mosin said: »

I'm sure they're all very unhappy because of all the thin people in the media...
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-01-07 17:18:25
Link | Citer | R

I'm sure they're all very unhappy because of all the thin people in the media...

lmao,

ya I'm sure they debate suicide every morning...
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-01-07 17:24:35
Link | Citer | R

Huge difference in quality of food and cooking in Midwest and South. I'd seriously be obese if I had the quality of Midwestern or Southern food around me!
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-01-07 17:29:20
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »

Huge difference in quality of food and cooking in Midwest and South. I'd seriously be obese if I had the quality of Midwestern or Zip Southern food around me!

There's plenty of unhealthy food in all corners of the country. It's not that greasy or high calorie food isn't more prevalent in some areas. You can have a perfectly healthy body and body image while eating those kinds of foods. You can't, however, stuff your face full of that kind of food all day everyday. Moderation and variety are dietary skills that all children should have.

What happened to that initiative to limit the number of soda's a kid could buy while at school? Oh yeah, people got offended when the authorities were concerned about their pre-diabetic teenager.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-01-07 17:39:35
Link | Citer | R

So because some people obsess about something we should put an obese role model in the mix so obese children aren't negatively affected? Maybe we should put that energy into figuring out why so many children are obese and unhappy and SOLVE THE REAL PROBLEM.
Where in Hades' name did I ever suggest anything like that? You're reading in your own ideas. I've said consistently through this thread that super-size Barbie is bad, too. Barbie is, what, equivalent to 6'2" tall or something ridiculous like that. I'd stump for her to be built like she weighs about 150 lbs., which I think is still fairly slim for a tall woman. I don't feel like looking up the figures.

But, honestly, where did you even get this ridiculous idea that I was promoting fat acceptance?

Also, for a gay guy, you have an unhealthy fixation with protecting the children.
And what the hell is that supposed to mean?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-01-07 17:50:19
Link | Citer | R

Where in Hades' name did I ever suggest anything like that? You're reading in your own ideas. I've said consistently through this thread that super-size Barbie is bad, too. Barbie is, what, equivalent to 6'2" tall or something ridiculous like that. I'd stump for her to be built like she weighs about 150 lbs., which I think is still fairly slim for a tall woman. I don't feel like looking up the figures.

But, honestly, where did you even get this ridiculous idea that I was promoting fat acceptance?

And what the hell is that supposed to mean?

You are acting as a voice for the psychological effects of thin role models on children. If you aren't promoting fat acceptance, what exactly are you promoting?

You have no vested interest in the psyche of 4-8 year old girls from what you've said, so why are you so passionately fighting for them?
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-01-07 17:51:22
Link | Citer | R

so why are you so passionately fighting for them?

when they don't need anyone to anyway.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-01-07 17:52:33
Link | Citer | R

so why are you so passionately fighting for them?

when they don't need anyone to anyway.

9 pages in... Mosin, where have you been?!
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-01-07 17:52:40
Link | Citer | R

Huge difference in quality of food and cooking in Midwest and South. I'd seriously be obese if I had the quality of Midwestern or Zip Southern food around me!

There's plenty of unhealthy food in all corners of the country. It's not that greasy or high calorie food isn't more prevalent in some areas. You can have a perfectly healthy body and body image while eating those kinds of foods. You can't, however, stuff your face full of that kind of food all day everyday. Moderation and variety are dietary skills that all children should have.

What happened to that initiative to limit the number of soda's a kid could buy while at school? Oh yeah, people got offended when the authorities were concerned about their pre-diabetic teenager.

It's not about what is healthy and what's not. The quality of food and ingredients is vastly different going from NYC/LA to Kentucky e.g.

If you ever go to Kentucky go to Colonel Sander's Dinner House. I've been there once for their Sunday Buffet...there is nothing like it elsewhere.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-01-07 17:54:45
Link | Citer | R

It's not about what is healthy and what's not. The quality of food and ingredients is vastly different going from NYC/LA to Kentucky e.g.

If you ever go to Kentucky go to Colonel Sander's Dinner House. I've been there once for their Sunday Buffet...there is nothing like it elsewhere.

I wholly agree that there is a big difference in the options, but if you know that biscuits are high in fat and calories, maybe try eating just one, or don't coat it in butter. As with anything, moderation.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-01-07 17:55:04
Link | Citer | R

9 pages in... Mosin, where have you been?!

sry brother, been too busy making those ends meet lately. I'll try to *** off more, but when I'm busy I usually check NI and roll out.

& to be fair this didn't get too interesting until pg 5-6!

lol
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-01-07 17:56:37
Link | Citer | R

I'm not talking about fat or calories. I'm talking about taste. Biscuits are 10x better in the midwest and South.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 14 15 16