Shut 'em Down!

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Shut 'em down!
Shut 'em down!
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 99 100 101
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-10-03 00:08:40
Link | Citer | R

Fumiku said: »
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
No I'm not being dishonest at all, the Tea Party wants to defund Obama's signature legislation, obviously that isn't going to happen, so they pressured the weak Speaker to shut down the gov't until they got their way. The Senate passed the budget to fund the entire gov't, its sitting on Boehner's desk, the moderate House Republicans want him to put it to a vote as do the Senate Republicans, yet he refuses. He doesn't get to decide what he funds and what he doesn't, open the government back up Boehner.

Edit- No one is going to see the Senate vote down anything, its not even making the floor.

This is not totally true and very one sided of you. Both sides are fighting for something. It is not just the republicans.

Yes I agree, they want to repeal the ACA. I won't deny that. I want them too also.

However there have been several compromises that the house has made in back and forth CR's. The first was to defund the ACA. THe senate turned it down.

The second was to remove the medical device tax and delay the individual mandate for one year and remove any extra subsides for the federal employees. The senate turned it down.

The third set of amendments delayed just the individual mandate by one year, and added language that would bar lawmakers, Congressional staffers, and administration staffers from receiving federal subsidies for health insurance under Obamacare. The senate turned it down. The house turned it down.

Like it or not this is an option they have to play with. Is it bulling yes, but at least the house has tried to make some concessions. Going from not funding to delaying for one year is a pretty big concession..... Reid and Senate though will not compromise on anything. If it has anything to do with the ACA they will vote no to a CR. To me they shut the government down.
Just no. More false equivalence.

The ACA has zero relevance to the CR bandaid fix that Congress needs to pass in order to keep the government operational. It is already fully funded as evidenced by the opening of the insurance exchanges mere moments after the shutdown. There is absolutely NO reason to bundle any ACA legislation with a CR other than to use the entirety of non-essential government operations as a bargaining chip to delay or defund a piece of legislation that they could not nullify using normal legislative means. And there is absolutely no reason to capitulate to any faction who would resort to such an unprecedented tactic.
By Fumiku 2013-10-03 00:20:37
Link | Citer | R

95'-97' would like to see you....

Pretty much the same thing happened during the Clinton era. With a different situation but similar circumstances.. I wouldn't call it unprecedented.

However I won't say the program is fully funded. The delay of the employer mandate show that. By the delaying the employer mandate, you put the burden of cost on the employee. That is not fully funded.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-10-03 01:32:13
Link | Citer | R

Newt or Clinton weren't angling to repeal an already enacted law, and this would set an ugly precedent. Obamacare has already cleared Congress, been approved by the President, been ruled constitutional by the Courts, and survived a supposed mandate in the past election. What would be the point of pretending to pass anything anymore if the opposition could rely on a hail mary government shutdown threat year after year whenever the budget is up for renewal?
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Serveur: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-10-03 01:52:08
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, Obama needs to make it clear that this pointless shutdown only happens once, and the best way to do that is to force Boehner to open the government back up while not conceding anything. That's the only way the worthless Tea Party will get the message that their radical behavior is unacceptable. Of course, the polls should help in that area as well, at least in Boehner's case. You can never tell with the tea party tho.
By Fumiku 2013-10-03 04:28:35
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Newt or Clinton weren't angling to repeal an already enacted law, and this would set an ugly precedent. Obamacare has already cleared Congress, been approved by the President, been ruled constitutional by the Courts, and survived a supposed mandate in the past election. What would be the point of pretending to pass anything anymore if the opposition could rely on a hail mary government shutdown threat year after year whenever the budget is up for renewal?

The point is even if it's newly enacted or not, it is not uncommon to tack on provisions that don't relate to the CR's. That has been going on since at least 77 and should not be a shocker.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2013-10-03 07:24:46
Link | Citer | R

Obama already scuttled the provisions of the law by delaying the individual mandate till after the midterms (for political reasons of course).

You cannot honestly believe that withholding funding is any "dirtier of a trick". There is certainly plenty of precedent for congress acting on their "power of the purse" but I bet there's not much for the executive branch passing flagship legislation and then refusing to enforce it.

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
This angle is pretty low, dude. Even for you.
lol... If you had caught any of the news yesterday, you'd know liberal news outlets had led with that story throughout the day (not of my own creation), generally followed by such hyperbole along the lines of 'see what the republicans with bombs strapped to their chest have done'. It's really quite unexpected that a CNN reporter choose to actually practice journalism and portray the games played on the democrat side as well. My presentation of the story wasn't really to exploit the "for the children" aspect of it, but rather to show that democrats are just putting on a show and that people do see it that way. Even reporters at liberal CNN.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2013-10-03 07:32:08
Link | Citer | R

Latest from the liar in cheif:

"During the course of my presidency, I have bent over backwards to work with the Republican party and have purposely kept my rhetoric down. I think I’m pretty well known for being a calm guy. Sometimes people think I’m too calm. And am I exasperated? Absolutely I’m exasperated because this is entirely unnecessary."

Just think: All this time, I've been lamenting Obama’s audaciously apparent lack of leadership, his enormous penchants for victim hood and abdication, and his impressively high-handed partisanship in speech after speech after speech, he has actually been ‘purposely keeping his rhetoric down.’ Who knew?

He's also nudged Wall st in that interview, trying to talk them into a crisis and kick start a free fall of the market. What for? Well, that would be some great leverage right? Lets see how much the DOW drops today, he can always push em over again next week if the fall is non existent today or not as big as he wants.

In the meantime did anyone see that the Obamacare hotline is almost a clear message from his presidency?
1-800-3(F) *1* 8(U) 2(C) 5(K) 9(Y) 6(O).
 Siren.Flavin
Serveur: Siren
user: Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-10-03 08:17:01
Link | Citer | R

I find it funny that you call that practicing journalism... I guess that's what you consider someone saying something you want to hear? lol... I mostly comment on this because you come up in so many other threads decrying the "MSM" and talk about how this is ridiculous and that is ridiculous and omg they are all owned by the democrats! Maybe this is their plan! Maybe they want people to think they're out to kill cancer stricken babies and abort them after they've already been born!

Now if you've read anything on it actually... all this will really effect is new entries unless they are very sick which then they will be taken in... the people running the program even stated that the program won't really be affected much unless this continues on for months and they would be remiss to say that anyone's life would be put in danger by this...
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2013-10-03 08:54:34
Link | Citer | R

What would be the point of pretending to pass anything anymore if the opposition could rely on a hail mary government shutdown threat year after year whenever the budget is up for renewal?

Exactly. so let's just quit making up new laws and start stripping away old laws that don't work.

Half the people don't like the ACA because it doesn't go far enough and the other half are concerned the IRS is going to spend thier days laughing at all the medications we have to take to maintain an erection and keep from peeing our pants from all the hallucinations the other medications give us.

But day after day we slap each other with fish and call it progress.

I sympathize with your discomfort in the notion that the united front of tin foil hat wearing psychotics that talk to cockroaches has seized control of the government...

But you have to come to terms with the fact that they have been duly elected to represent a growing constituency of bat ***crazy old weirdos.

You could meet someone on the street, flip a coin and if it comes up tails there is a high probability that the person you met believes, without question, that it's a government conspiracy that causes Count Chocula cereal to turn the milk brown...

I know I do!

Look the lunatics have taken over the asylum an you keep trying to use logic and reason and reason to debate with us. You would have better luck with a handful of M&Ms!...once you removed all the green ones of course.

All we want is your unconditional surrender! You're absolutely right, however.... potato. And furthermore.... We confuse easily and the bill is simply too long. There are too many words. We don't care if it cures cancer and ends homelessness it's too god damn many words so go shorten it!

and bring me a bowl of brown M&Ms and the head of alfredo garcia... then we can talk....

and stop making me thirsty for kool aid. you ***.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-10-03 09:16:32
Link | Citer | R

I wonder how long this shutdown will last.

Any bets going on?
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-10-03 09:21:29
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I wonder how long this shutdown will last. Any bets going on?
I haven't put any money down yet because I haven't gained enough intel on whatever nefarious plot Nik has masterminded to keep the chaos flowing...
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2013-10-03 09:25:20
Link | Citer | R

Any bets going on?

In my dreams it goes on forever...

Each side has to wait to see if their talking points and multimedia campaigns effect the polling data enough to warrant a change in course...

But americans seem pretty numb to the constant barrage of crisis. It's going to take more than a couple bus loads of kids not being able to visit the Smithsonian to get people upset enough to demand anyone do anything.

I think they are going to need something catastrophic to happen to make anyone take notice.

three weeks?
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-10-03 11:39:35
Link | Citer | R

Nah, most of the gov't agencies have enough money to work through the week, but when the money drys up, and the VA can't pay out their benefits, Boehner's seat will explode. It will be over by the weekend.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2013-10-03 11:53:15
Link | Citer | R

I don't see this wrapping up till possibly shortly before the debt ceiling deadline. Democrats surely aren't helping themselves by over doing "we won't negotiate" line.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-10-03 11:58:44
Link | Citer | R

The debt ceiling deadline is an arbitrary date, Lew has said it will expire no later than Oct. 17, but it could happen a few days or even a week before that, since there is no way to know, I doubt Boehner lasts that long.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2013-10-03 11:59:47
Link | Citer | R

Nah, most of the gov't agencies have enough money to work through the week, but when the money drys up, and the VA can't pay out their benefits, Boehner's seat will explode. It will be over by the weekend.

I doubt it. The dems didn't even run a candidate against him in 2012 and have never gotten above 32%.

Edit: He has been in 22 years and I don't think he has ever even had to campaign... Also he is 63 I just don't see him giving a ***
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2013-10-03 11:59:48
Link | Citer | R

Any bets going on?

Until the next "mass shooting".
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-10-03 12:05:27
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

I doubt it. The dems didn't even run a candidate against him in 2012 and have never gotten above 32%.

Edit: He has been in 22 years and I don't think he has ever even had to campaign... Also he is 63 I just don't see him giving a ***

His actual seat isn't in danger, its his Speakership that is under fire. He presides over one of the most worthless HoR in history and he just shut down the gov't despite the fact the majority of his party didn't want him to.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2013-10-03 12:09:23
Link | Citer | R

His actual seat isn't in danger, its his Speakership that is under fire. He presides over one of the most worthless HoR in history and he just shut down the gov't despite the fact the majority of his party didn't want him to.

There you go with logic and reason again....

I don't think he gives a ***and recent events seem to support my theory...
By Zerowone 2013-10-03 12:12:28
Link | Citer | R

"The ACA is going to be so damaging to our economy, that if you don't take it out right now.. well I'm just going to kill our economy now!!"

They couldn't win the argument in elections, in congress, or the court.

Regardless, the challenge for both sides now is to find a way to end the shutdown without appearing to cave to the other's demands.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2013-10-03 12:13:06
Link | Citer | R

more *** waving.

great!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-10-03 12:19:21
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Aelius said: »

Any bets going on?

Until the next "mass shooting".
Or another civil war in a country that doesn't directly affect us.
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-10-03 12:29:48
Link | Citer | R

This made me lol...

Quote:
Rep. Marlin Stutzman’s (R-IN) We’re not going to be disrespected, We have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is.”

looking for the full quote to make sure this isn't taken out of context or something...
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-10-03 12:32:41
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Flavin said: »
This made me lol...

Quote:
Rep. Marlin Stutzman’s (R-IN) We’re not going to be disrespected, We have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is.”

looking for the full quote to make sure this isn't taken out of context or something...
That came from a Twitter post. Anyone can make anyone say anything on Twitter...

But, if he really did say that, then >.>
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-10-03 12:40:07
Link | Citer | R

This made me lol...
Quote:
That came from a Twitter post. Anyone can make anyone say anything on Twitter... But, if he really did say that, then >.>
He must have because he's already apologizing for it saying that he "carelessly misrepresented" the ongoing budget debate and doesn't look like he's denying what he said...

Edit: Also, where did you get that it was a tweet? I was under the impression that this was a quote provided to the washington examiner...
[+]
By Zerowone 2013-10-03 12:40:22
Link | Citer | R

This made me lol...

Quote:

He said it to David Drucker of the Examiner Tuesday Wednesday night who used it in an article the next morning.
4th paragraph of this article

The President responded to it today and Sen. Stutzman is trying to back track the statement: You can read about here, there is even a reference that is was orignally said to Drucker down at the end.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-10-03 12:48:01
Link | Citer | R

Boehner concedes he isn't going to let the country default on the debt.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/04/us/politics/debt-limit-impasse.html?_r=0

Now he just needs to open the gov't. Put it to a vote mr. speaker.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2013-10-03 12:51:47
Link | Citer | R

that's where I came up with the three week estimate...

I want to play poker with these guys because they probably all play holding their cards facing out..
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-10-03 12:54:12
Link | Citer | R

This made me lol...
Quote:
That came from a Twitter post. Anyone can make anyone say anything on Twitter... But, if he really did say that, then >.>
He must have because he's already apologizing for it saying that he "carelessly misrepresented" the ongoing budget debate and doesn't look like he's denying what he said...

Edit: Also, where did you get that it was a tweet? I was under the impression that this was a quote provided to the washington examiner...

It was the source from this article (Disclaimer: MSN isn't the best source for political news or opinions, but I do read it to see the opinions and viewpoints of people outside my train-of-thought)

Source of the above article

On the side note: Is he already apologizing?

Edit: Guess he is.
 Bahamut.Kara
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-10-03 12:55:59
Link | Citer | R

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/04/us/politics/debt-limit-impasse.html?_r=0

Now he just needs to open the gov't. Put it to a vote mr. speaker.

Yeah, I'm a little concerned about this though that is in that article
Quote:
“The speaker has always been clear that a default would be disastrous for our economy,” Mr. Steel said. “He’s also been clear that a ‘clean’ debt hike cannot pass the House. That’s why the president and Senate Democrats should drop their ‘no negotiations’ stance, and work with us on a plan to raise the debt limit in a responsible way, with spending cuts and reforms to get our economy moving again and create jobs.”
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 99 100 101