Question about JP servers
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Vite
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2013-09-24 02:45:49
Link | Citer | R

Hi,

I have joined an EU server as my RL friends were there, however I am thinking about jumping over to a JP server, as I don't really like the community in my current server.

My questions is, are there shouts generally in English or does JP players use auto translator often in shouts or in dungeons etc.

thanks
 Sylph.Wonderangel
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Wonderangel 2013-09-24 04:21:04
Link | Citer | R

In FFXI, most JP player pick up only JP players or ppl speaking japanese. And they usually dont use auto translator.

Prolly it's the same in ffxiv.
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
user: Vite
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2013-09-24 04:47:38
Link | Citer | R

Yes that's what I thought too, I just heard some mixed opinions about JP servers's community being nice and polite, I just wanted to know if the communicate as well.

Best days for me in FFXI were the pre-JP onry when the world was bright and colorful D:, so was hoping it's the same in FFXIV
 Bismarck.Xzeikx
Serveur: Bismarck
user: xzeikx
By Bismarck.Xzeikx 2013-09-24 06:56:26
Link | Citer | R

They have like 2 English shouts a day at the very most and its Chimera or Hydra nothing else.
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2013-09-24 07:38:42
Link | Citer | R

Yeah never move to a jp server you will hardly be able to get anything done apart from duty finder and the vast amount of people on there arent very skilled. Id say try another EU server or move to an NA server.
 Bismarck.Xzeikx
Serveur: Bismarck
user: xzeikx
By Bismarck.Xzeikx 2013-09-24 08:35:09
Link | Citer | R

I did my relic on jp server but i found a group of english players that were skilled so i didnt have to DF it at all
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-09-24 10:58:30
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Vitaru said: »
Hi,

I have joined an EU server as my RL friends were there, however I am thinking about jumping over to a JP server, as I don't really like the community in my current server.

My questions is, are there shouts generally in English or does JP players use auto translator often in shouts or in dungeons etc.

thanks

Most /shouts are in JP, but sometimes I see English /shouts too.

Just speak JP with them if you want to join their pt. There are English communities around, but I'm not sure if they'd still be there once server transfer opens.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [44 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-11-07 11:20:23
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Vitaru said: »
Hi,

thanks

A bit of necrobump, if anyone still interested to know more about FFXIV JP servers, I'd like to provide some insight about it. I've been playing on JP server since release.

Currently, all JP servers besides Masamune and Tonberry have very low English speaking population. They exist, but the community is so small that you have to at least speak some basic JP if you want to make progress. Otherwise you will have a very hard time.

Masamune/Tonberry has larger English speaking community and feels more like FFXI servers with English /shout, since most of the Oceanic/Asia English speaking players go there. It is possible to make progress with 0 JP knowledge if you join an English FC and do stuff with them.

JP-onry mentality in XIV is no where near as bad as XI.....I never get rejected by a JP /shout party. I cleared all relic quest boss fight and coil T1~4 with JP /shout party, and 1/1 most of them....except titan HM which is 100% my fault for suck at dodging so my first pt was a wipe, 2nd /shout pt was win though. Most of the speed runs are efficient enough for a /shout party. But only if you /shout with "experienced ppl only" with gear requirement, or join such party, first time pt or practice pt is usually bad.

JP community in XIV is also 100x more polite than XI JP community, if someone died or make a mistake in a run, they often apologize, and other ppl often reply with I don't mind. Once I miss a blunt arrow in ADS fight and the leader even said sorry to the pt for missing the silence, even though I should be the one saying sorry.

That being said, they do *** or make fun of gimps/inexperienced/noob/bad players in FC, but they don't *** in /p chat.

Even for harder events like coil which requires more communication, they're not JP only. Even though I warned them my Japanese is bad, they just use google translate if I have hard time understanding what they're saying.

Which is unlike FFXI JP, FFXI JPs would ask "Are you a Japanese?" instead of "Can you speak Japanese" and never try to google translate anything.

Note that FFXIV JP still discriminate, I've seen a JP leader kicked a gaijin because one person in pt wasn't on right turn in coil, the leader didn't know who it was, suspected it must be the gaijin who's on wrong turn and just disbanded the pt, then remake the pt with same person except that guy. It's certainly discrimination, they just do it in a.....very polite way :/

Overall I'd say it's an enjoyable experience to play with JP, barring the fact that I can't chat properly. But just that "I'm sorry" "I don't mind" in /p chat all the time makes the game playing experience much better. I don't have too many English pt experience except duty finder groups, some of them are pretty rude by comparison. I hope JP only mentality never corrupt XIV, and it should *** go away in XI already.....I just got asked "Are you a Japanese" after I go back to XI recently when replying to a /shout in Japanese politely, no one questioned me such a thing in XIV. XIV JPs only ever ask "Can you understand Japanese communication?"(and they rely on google translate heavily if my answer is no), which has totally different meaning behind it.
 Bahamut.Kimbyr
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Kimbyr 2013-11-09 10:02:56
Link | Citer | R

Another thing to consider before going to a JP server is your ping speed with the servers. If your ping is too high you can have issues with events because what you see on your screen and what is happening on the server are different.

Google FFXIV ARR ping test and you will find lots of information on how to test this before choosing to switch servers.