Washington State Gets Rid Of "sexist" Language

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Washington state gets rid of "sexist" language
Washington state gets rid of "sexist" language
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 23 24 25
 Ragnarok.Corres
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2013-07-10 10:15:23
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Raenil said: »
Ragnarok.Corres said: »
we have more female teachers who give male students worse grades because they are boys
Never encountered this. And most of my teachers were female too.

And again, feminist =/= man hater
here you go.
 Phoenix.Melpomenae
Serveur: Phoenix
user: brena
By Phoenix.Melpomenae 2013-07-10 10:16:09
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Bismarck.Longkissgnight said: »
Feminism is what sexists call anti-sexism.
Compelling argument. Please source it, preferably with a few examples of feminism aiding in the current situation for males.

You don't have to consider the genders unequal to see that feminism is nowhere near a push for equality.

http://community.feministing.com/2010/06/07/being-allies-against-male-circumcision/

http://feministing.com/2010/06/15/redefining-parenting-paid-daddy-leave-vs-the-fight-for-maternity-leave/
[+]
By fonewear 2013-07-10 10:19:10
Link | Citer | R

Damn two things I'm impressed.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-07-10 10:19:59
Link | Citer | R

we have more female teachers who give male students worse grades because they are boys

here you go.
Still think it's bs. It's 100% related to the person and not its gender.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2013-07-10 10:20:22
Link | Citer | R

here you go.
No information on the sample size of this study. And most of it seems to be based on the students feelings on the matter. Then again, I only skimmed it because you're generalizing based on extreme outlying cases. Again.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-07-10 10:22:31
Link | Citer | R

Skim less. The article was stating that to consider themselves allies, they need to support these causes. The very end, in particular, makes it clear that this is not the current state of affairs:
"We can’t honestly call ourselves allies until we start doing these things."

It's an article by a feminist stating what she'd like to see out of feminism, not the reality of current feminism.

Again, this is just an article talking about the issues. It's from a feminist source, but it's not any form of action against the issues. The rallies do not focus on these things.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-10 10:23:04
Link | Citer | R

This is what I imagine reading this thread:

YouTube Video Placeholder

Not a hamster, but it'll do.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2013-07-10 10:23:46
Link | Citer | R

Thread reminded me of this scene. I laugh hysterically every time I watch it. Worth your time.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Phoenix.Melpomenae
By Phoenix.Melpomenae 2013-07-10 10:24:21
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Melpomenae said: »
I was arguing that male rape is a serious problem, and part of the reason it's ignored is the stereotype that men are animals. I'm not sure where your standpoint is. I only pointed out common things men seem to have to fight for that are frequently ignored- domestic abuse support, rape support, fairness in custody hearings. Are you arguing that these aren't problems for men?
i never said anything against this in any post i did in this thread.
However, as you seem to be true to same respect for both genders i would like to know what exactlöy brought you upon the realisation that feminism is "equlality" for both genders?
i do not mean this in any disrespectful way, i am merely interested what drives your gears in a personal manner. as you stated those unfair treatments that men get in divorces, or that men get raped too but are seen as funny or not worthy of discussion, are real problems. They do however get pushed back and called unimportant by the very feminist leaders you seem to be holding onto.
This doesn't make sense to me.
It's like saying you are a chritian but you don't believe in the resurrection.

See, I've never once said I follow any "feminist leaders". The majority of the movement that I have seen fights for true gender equality, male and female. The idea of gender equality is the basis of my take (and many others) of the feminist movement, and you can't have gender equality with either side having special rights. That's why I don't like getting special treatment as a girl, good OR bad. I hold doors open for guys, and if someone tries to do something chivalrous for me I politely decline. There is no "true feminist doctrine". That's called the "No True Scotsman" fallacy. There is no litmus test for feminism. It's not a religion. You asked about me personally, and while I identify as a feminist, that doesn't mean I can't care about men's problems too, just like when there are male feminists. There are men I care about and I feel they shouldn't get screwed over, even if society benefits them as a whole in a lot of cases. That doesn't excuse them getting screwed over though.
 Phoenix.Melpomenae
By Phoenix.Melpomenae 2013-07-10 10:26:49
Link | Citer | R

Skim less. The article was stating that to consider themselves allies, they need to support these causes. The very end, in particular, makes it clear that this is not the current state of affairs:
"We can’t honestly call ourselves allies until we start doing these things."

It's an article by a feminist stating what she'd like to see out of feminism, not the reality of current feminism.

Again, this is just an article talking about the issues. It's from a feminist source, but it's not any form of action against the issues. The rallies do not focus on these things.

It is a real problem that more isn't done for the issues men and women share with gender equality. It is a real problem that some feminists don't acknowledge these things. Still, I was trying to make the point that it's a thing in the movement, and it's getting better. Movements like this are ever changing, anyways.
By fonewear 2013-07-10 10:27:15
Link | Citer | R

You can open doors for yourself damn feminism is amazing.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-07-10 10:28:01
Link | Citer | R

Sorry if I'm not that well informed about the weewee, but isn't circumcision ultimately a positive thing for the man?
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-07-10 10:29:59
Link | Citer | R

It's a real problem that you've become so emotionally invested you're linking things with no content in the hopes people will back down without taking the time to read them. I get it, you are a 'real' feminist and you believe in equality. That is not the direction the movement has been going, and there's nothing to suggest that's the direction the movement will go. You need to take a realistic look at the changes that have been brought about by feminism, and those that will be brought about in the future.

I'll repeat myself, watching the videos Saevel linked by GirlWritesWhat is an extremely informative experience that touches on a lot of the issues feminism completely overlooks in their quest to further women's stature.
[+]
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-10 10:30:36
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Sorry if I'm not that well informed about the weewee, but isn't circumcision ultimately a positive thing for the man?
I believe so, removing the foreskin makes you less susceptible to disease and infection? That's if you leave it as is and don't clean it everytime you go to the bathroom or have sex.

That and sometimes the foreskin can make it really hard and uncomfortable to go to the bathroom from what I hear, depending if it engulfs the whole penis.

....God, why do I know this?
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-07-10 10:32:09
Link | Citer | R

It's a permanent loss of (a debatably significant amount of) feeling in your sex organ, in exchange for a long-since-outdated hygiene boost. There is a low risk of foreskin complications, but they are very treatable later in life. With the medical attention we have now, and the ability to shower as frequently as we'd like, it's an outdated procedure. Foreskins are used in cosmetic creams, many hospitals will default to performing circumcision or attempt to pressure parents into allowing it. Hospitals sell them to these companies.

Personally, I was circumsized as an infant and I'm a little bit bothered that I'll never know the maximum feeling I could have had during sex. It's not a life-ruining thing, but as enjoyable as it is now, it's always going to be a little bothersome to know it could be better. I do feel that circumsized penises are more aesthetically pleasing, but very few women seem to care to any extent and I'd much rather have the additional feeling.
 Phoenix.Melpomenae
By Phoenix.Melpomenae 2013-07-10 10:33:04
Link | Citer | R

Some could argue in countries with very high HIV rates it decreases infection, but it's largely medically unnecessary in developed countries. It's more a debate over the bodily integrity of the young boy, not giving them a choice in the matter. Some say the snips diminish feeling in the area. Also, there is a small rate of complications with the procedure on newborns, including death. (rarely)
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-10 10:35:32
Link | Citer | R

It's a permanent loss of (a debatably significant amount of) feeling in your sex organ, in exchange for a long-since-outdated hygiene boost. There is a low risk of foreskin complications, but they are very treatable later in life. With the medical attention we have now, and the ability to shower as frequently as we'd like, it's an outdated procedure. Foreskins are used in cosmetic creams, many hospitals will default to performing circumcision or attempt to pressure parents into allowing it. Hospitals sell them to these companies.

Personally, I was circumsized as an infant and I'm a little bit bothered that I'll never know the maximum feeling I could have had during sex. It's not a life-ruining thing, but as enjoyable as it is now, it's always going to be a little bothersome to know it could be better.
I always thought it was easier for the parents to handle the infants as well, seeing as how it could get infected just from being in a diaper?

I'm curious as to how it works, and I think they do it early because later on the risks of performing a surgery on the fully developed organ could probably induce a more permanent feeling loss.
 Phoenix.Melpomenae
By Phoenix.Melpomenae 2013-07-10 10:36:20
Link | Citer | R

It's a real problem that you've become so emotionally invested you're linking things with no content in the hopes people will back down without taking the time to read them. I get it, you are a 'real' feminist and you believe in equality. That is not the direction the movement has been going, and there's nothing to suggest that's the direction the movement will go. You need to take a realistic look at the changes that have been brought about by feminism, and those that will be brought about in the future.

I'll repeat myself, watching the videos Saevel linked by GirlWritesWhat is an extremely informative experience that touches on a lot of the issues feminism completely overlooks in their quest to further women's stature.

It's so telling that you keep throwing out the word "emotional" to discredit anything I post that you can't reply to. Also, I had no idea liking posts did anything other than liking them, as I told you earlier this is the first thread I've participated in. Who's throwing out ad homonyms now?
 Phoenix.Melpomenae
By Phoenix.Melpomenae 2013-07-10 10:38:22
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Applebottoms said: »

Personally, I was circumsized as an infant and I'm a little bit bothered that I'll never know the maximum feeling I could have had during sex. It's not a life-ruining thing, but as enjoyable as it is now, it's always going to be a little bothersome to know it could be better.
I always thought it was easier for the parents to handle the infants as well, seeing as how it could get infected just from being in a diaper?

I'm curious as to how it works, and I think they do it early because later on the risks of performing a surgery on the fully developed organ could probably induce a more permanent feeling loss.

Infection is a big risk, and also they can cut too much and cause some really bad pain conditions when they're older, also they can even snip...parts of it off accidentally. Which just sounds terrible >.<
 Ragnarok.Corres
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2013-07-10 10:38:41
Link | Citer | R

and you can't have gender equality with either side having special rights.
so you acknowledge that this movement provides special rights, and you
Quote:
don't like getting special treatment as a girl, good OR bad.
So you can have your cake but you don't eat it? no offense.

Quote:
I hold doors open for guys, and if someone tries to do something chivalrous for me I politely decline.
does this imply that you always decline?

Quote:
You asked about me personally, and while I identify as a feminist, that doesn't mean I can't care about men's problems too, just like when there are male feminists. There are men I care about and I feel they shouldn't get screwed over, even if society benefits them as a whole in a lot of cases. That doesn't excuse them getting screwed over though.
why is it still called feminism? not equalitism? Why are there so many mean proclaiming that feminism is the one thing that has to be pursued in order to create a society where both genders are seen as "equal"?
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-10 10:39:54
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Applebottoms said: »

Infection is a big risk, and also they can cut too much and cause some really bad pain conditions when they're older, also they can even snip...parts of it off accidentally. Which just sounds terrible >.<
Yeah, I figured that much. :| Also, don't forget the stories of women who have had their clitoris surgically removed because they thought of it as a slightly small penis. /shudder
 Bismarck.Longkissgnight
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Longkissgnight 2013-07-10 10:40:42
Link | Citer | R

Its equally as positive for a woman.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-07-10 10:41:11
Link | Citer | R

Dunno if it matters but talked to a lot of guys who've had..phimosis(totally not sure how it's spelled in english)problems and said they wished they were circumcized as children instead of an age where you can't remove the trauma, lol. From my understanding it's a very widespread issue.
 Phoenix.Melpomenae
By Phoenix.Melpomenae 2013-07-10 10:41:34
Link | Citer | R

and you can't have gender equality with either side having special rights.
so you acknowledge that this movement provides special rights, and you
Quote:
don't like getting special treatment as a girl, good OR bad.
So you can have your cake but you don't eat it?

Quote:
I hold doors open for guys, and if someone tries to do something chivalrous for me I politely decline.
does this imply that you always decline?

Quote:
You asked about me personally, and while I identify as a feminist, that doesn't mean I can't care about men's problems too, just like when there are male feminists. There are men I care about and I feel they shouldn't get screwed over, even if society benefits them as a whole in a lot of cases. That doesn't excuse them getting screwed over though.
why is it still called feminism? not equalitism? Why are there so many mean proclaiming that feminism is the one thing that has to be pursued in order to create a society where both genders are seen as "equal"?

I am not saying feminism gives special rights. I am saying that feminism fights to have womena and men treated equally, which means no special rights for either.
Plenty of women buy into the double standard that women need special treatment so they can be kidgloved and get away with ***, sure. I call them out of that.
I am a feminist because it is fighting for pure gender equality, which is the same thing you seem to be arguing for. We're agreeing here, and I'm not sure why you don't see that.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-07-10 10:41:54
Link | Citer | R

Circumcision is medically considered an elective procedure. If the foreskin develops wrong, in rare cases, it can squeeze the penis resulting in some problems. This can be treated through circumcision.. and does not carry any higher risks than doing it at birth. I would gladly have taken the risk of going through it later in life given the low probability of these occurances and the obvious benefits of having a more sensitive dingaling. If I had a child, knowing my own thoughts on it, I would not have them circumcised. Anesthesia goes a long way, and while phimosis isn't obscenely rare: 50% of people will have a retractable foreskin by 1 year of age, 90% by 3 years of age, and 99% by age 17 without medical intervention.

Quote:
It's so telling that you keep throwing out the word "emotional" to discredit anything I post that you can't reply to. Also, I had no idea liking posts did anything other than liking them, as I told you earlier this is the first thread I've participated in. Who's throwing out ad homonyms now?
I read and addressed both of your articles in a prior post. So, again, you would be the one throwing out ad homonyms. If your goal is simply to win, you're already assured that due to your gross overconfidence in your own point. Nothing I say seems capable of changing your idealistic view of feminism. If you're looking to educate yourself and others around you, perhaps you should focus more on the points brought into the picture than attempting to garner sympathy. Again, those videos are incredibly informative and well-thought-out. They're even presented by someone with a vagina.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-07-10 10:43:28
Link | Citer | R

Sorry for derailing with penis talk, carry on with feminism. Vagina rules, or something.
 Phoenix.Melpomenae
By Phoenix.Melpomenae 2013-07-10 10:44:24
Link | Citer | R

Idk....I have heard some women that like them as nature made them >.> Seriously, there's science behind it, it's more protected from friction and gives it more natural lubrication and why am I talking about this
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-10 10:45:00
Link | Citer | R

Sorry for derailing with penis talk, carry on with feminism. Vagina rules, or something.
The public needs to stay informed.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-10 10:45:39
Link | Citer | R

Idk....I have heard some women that like them as nature made them >.> Seriously, there's science behind it, it's more protected from friction and gives it more natural lubrication and why am I talking about this
Because it's gotta derail at some point.. and why not derail hard?
[+]
 Phoenix.Melpomenae
By Phoenix.Melpomenae 2013-07-10 10:47:03
Link | Citer | R

Circumcision is medically considered an elective procedure. If the foreskin develops wrong, in rare cases, it can squeeze the penis resulting in some problems. This can be treated through circumcision.. and does not carry any higher risks than doing it at birth. I would gladly have taken the risk of going through it later in life given the low probability of these occurances and the obvious benefits of having a more sensitive dingaling. If I had a child, knowing my own thoughts on it, I would not have them circumcised. Anesthesia goes a long way, and while phimosis isn't obscenely rare: 50% of people will have a retractable foreskin by 1 year of age, 90% by 3 years of age, and 99% by age 17 without medical intervention.

Quote:
I read and addressed both of your articles in a prior post. So, again, you would be the one throwing out ad homonyms. If your goal is simply to win, you're already assured that due to your gross overconfidence in your own point. Nothing I say seems capable of changing your idealistic view of feminism. If you're looking to educate yourself and others around you, perhaps you should focus more on the points brought into the picture than attempting to garner sympathy. Again, those videos are incredibly informative and well-thought-out. They're even presented by someone with a vagina.

Never tried to win, or garner sympathy. The only reason I've kept posting is to try and make yall understand that I am not disagreeing with you on some of these major points, we're on the same team, not mutually exclusive, ect.
Also, how many times do I have to repeat myself? I said that I am not representative of the movement as a whole, only that I've experienced more friendliness to men than some think. Dear god.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 23 24 25