Link | Citer | R

and this is why i love Australia :)
 Midgardsormr.Petipet
Serveur: Midgardsormr
Game: FFXI
user: AAAGH
By Midgardsormr.Petipet 2009-11-21 22:33:43
Link | Citer | R

Halci, the "sketch" of the blue mage is breathtaking, saw the other version on dA, I could stare it forever. Must be so hard to do such details and precision in traditional media.. it impresses me a lot!

Isra, nice elvaan! Everything but the hair looks smooth. You said you want it even more smooth? Maybe then would get a bit blurry, it's already on the limit... I like her like now, if you ask me! Is your own character?

WTF! Sweet and hugable wombat lmao! *O* the eyes...!
I wish we could summon one of these instead carbuncle.

Here goes another edit, again for Asri:

Will keep working on request in a more slow pace!

EDIT: And aw, Eter, thanks for advertising ://D

Asura.Israfel
Serveur: Asura
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2009-11-21 22:53:06
Link | Citer | R

Midgardsormr.Petipet said:
Isra, nice elvaan! Everything but the hair looks smooth. You said you want it even more smooth? Maybe then would get a bit blurry, it's already on the limit... I like her like now, if you ask me! Is your own character?

thanks Peti ^^;
She's not my own character.. I just draw what pops in my head, usually without reference so a lot of times my works is not so good. (I'm mithra 6A... but I feel like I draw too much Mithra sometimes, so a change is nice)

I really suck at hair, like.... terribly... I just don't know how everyone else gets theirs looking so smooth hehe. I've looked for lots of tutorials, but I can't find one that shows how to do it well ;;... I get a lot of "Well you can improve on xxx thing" But then no one gives me advice on how, so it makes working at all frustrating lol ._.;;

I'm still learning a great deal and I'm so very nervous about posting my work, usually it gets banished to my DA page that I check once in never :( lol
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Serveur: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-22 00:40:48
Link | Citer | R

lol, I feel HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. XD "Oh awesome hair!" "Hair's no good."

Asri's new piece looks excellent! Check out that shield sparkle! lol

@Jetu: Don't sell yourself short, Apocallu is like world famous already! lol Wombats awesome too. I think I like the caption better than the picture even. lol

Asura.Israfel
By Asura.Israfel 2009-11-22 00:55:19
Link | Citer | R

Lol it's ok Cow~yoo ^^/~ you ish not retaaahded at all <3

*Edit* The more I see that Wombat pic, the more I wanna grab it and kiss its nose
 Unicorn.Halciform
Serveur: Unicorn
user: halciform
By Unicorn.Halciform 2009-11-22 03:59:20
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Israfel said:
Slowly working myself out of a hole, thanks to someone-who-shall-remain-unnamed my confidence in my work got completely shot so it's taking a lot for me to be able to complete drawings again x_x... nothing seems to work >:( lol so I end up scrapping more than I complete... oh well :(

I apologize if this comes out too large..

*sidenote* Askar is a pain to draw >:(

Cai just poked me on AIM saying you were looking for some good constructive crit on the hair? :x if you don't mind, I'll gladly help you along.

First off, you're off to a really great start. The piece has a good mood in it (the sort of wistful melancholy look) and great colors with some good contrast. You could heighten the contrast here and there to make her pop a little better (especially in the face) with some more refined shading, which would help to unflatten her out. (yep, making up words). Sometimes picking one solid light source and sticking with it can do wonders when you're coloring your piece! As she is now, you've got all of your basic flat tones in, but I think she could really pop a lot more with some shading contrast.

Now, for the hair. i really like the color of her hair and I especially like how you've added naturally lighter hairs to make it look more like natural hair. But, if what i'm told is correct, you're unhappy with it and want to improve it! so let's see... to do a semi realistic hair, you're going to ant to use harsh strokes only sparingly.

Color her hair with an ovrall flat color (a dark red would work well, work with the shade upwards to the tints for a realistic look) and with a low opacity brush, just stroke in some basic shaping shades ... don't worry about any fine .1 or .5 detail brushes yet :) don't add the shine-highlights yet either. Once you're done adding the basic shapes and tints to her hair, you can grab lighter colors and start adding detail... but the key to doing hair is ... imagine it like you're squinting, just look at someone with squinted eyes and see the hair as parts instead of so many tiny hairs (unless you're going for super realism, but even then, hinting at hair works best :) ).

Once you add in some more individual hairs on low opacity, NOW you can go in and add a few wispy, standalone hair strands at the edges and ends (try to avoid adding too many in the main bulk of the hair).

Remember that it isn't a crime to use reference! if you want to see some nice, shiny hair, look up some hair product ads or google image search for shiny hair :) using reference does nothing but help you improve and give you a starting point to work with when you're having trouble.

Finally, once you're done, you can add the shine. I find it usually best to add it on a separate layer when doing cgi (though you can do it on a flat layer, I paint on flat layers often due to being more acquainted with paints before I got a tablet) and add some highlights... remember to keep in mind where your light source is (and again, look up reference :) ) and this time, definitely use a lot of that fine-tip shading brush and follow the direction of your hair while adding highlights.

Its hard to explain it through text, I know :) but I hope that helps. Try not to feel too down because what you've got is already a great start... if you're willing to work on that piece some more, you could really make it shine by going off of what you already have. To do this method of hair though, it would be best to paint over the hair and start again... but, hey, it'll be worth it in the end if you just keep practicing and keep working at it! I hope that any of what I said could help you... and if this was unwanted crit, bop Cai on the head!
 Asura.Israfel
By Asura.Israfel 2009-11-22 04:08:43
Link | Citer | R

Halci... I'm so happy Q_Q Thank you so much!!! This is exactly what I've been after for so long ;;... I kinda gotten to a point in my work where it was like banging my head against a wall because nothing was working right or I didn't know how to do xxx thing, but you've really helped out so much Q_Q <3!!!

*cracks knucles* Mr Tablet! We have some unfinished business *stares evily*

Also, the made up words are <3 ._.
 Unicorn.Halciform
By Unicorn.Halciform 2009-11-22 04:16:10
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Israfel said:
Halci... I'm so happy Q_Q Thank you so much!!! This is exactly what I've been after for so long ;;... I kinda gotten to a point in my work where it was like banging my head against a wall because nothing was working right or I didn't know how to do xxx thing, but you've really helped out so much Q_Q <3!!!

*cracks knucles* Mr Tablet! We have some unfinished business *stares evily*

Also, the made up words are <3 ._.

Oh one thing I forgot... in photoshop, natural brushes... there's a ... 12 sized brush with about 6? 8? dotted "brush hairs"... if you move that up to a larger size and use it with the smudge tool, you can get some nice hair whisps that way too '-' takes a bit of practice though!

and its no problem :) I'm just working on homework and always looking for an excuse to take a break from it lol (i'm slacking this weekend since I only had three assignments. YAY!)
 Asura.Israfel
By Asura.Israfel 2009-11-22 04:27:15
Link | Citer | R

only 3 *_*lol.... poor you!! I hope you get some time to yourself! D:

And thank you again!!! I got all teary-eyed lol XD (I'm such a muppet), it might sound really silly, but it's such a relief for me to have someone willing to lend a hand instead of just saying "Well that sucks, and that needs to be fixed"
 Unicorn.Halciform
By Unicorn.Halciform 2009-11-22 04:33:32
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Israfel said:
only 3 *_*lol.... poor you!! I hope you get some time to yourself! D:

And thank you again!!! I got all teary-eyed lol XD (I'm such a muppet), it might sound really silly, but it's such a relief for me to have someone willing to lend a hand instead of just saying "Well that sucks, and that needs to be fixed"

If you ever need help, if i'm not busy, i'll try to help out :) I don't much do this style of artwork much at all anymore, but I don't think that fact has entirely killed my ability to help out lol .

I actually can't wait til Christmas break, but I might be taking my disc home with me :( I might take it up to my family thanksgiving too, actually, my animation assignment is pretty big this time and I need it done by the Christmas party... that, ontop of other finals and other final projects... aahh!! (seriously, 3 assignments i the lightest homework i've had all semester, even that includes a 3-series painting and two 11 x 17 drawings lollll all due before thanksgiving break. wee!)
 Sylph.Jetu
Serveur: Sylph
user: Jetu
By Sylph.Jetu 2009-11-22 04:37:04
Link | Citer | R

sounds like when i was doing my accounting stuff & had to do audits to pass
 Asura.Israfel
By Asura.Israfel 2009-11-22 04:38:16
Link | Citer | R

Jetuuuuu!!!! *kisses teh Wombat nose*

And dear gosh Halci, that's crazy >_<;!! I really hope it all pans out ok for you!!!... /makes lots and lots of coffee

*edit* and tyvm!!!! Usually I try to get by as far as I can on my own... but sometimes it's just like *Arrrrgh!!* lol ._.;;
 Unicorn.Halciform
By Unicorn.Halciform 2009-11-22 04:45:56
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Israfel said:
Jetuuuuu!!!! *kisses teh Wombat nose*

And dear gosh Halci, that's crazy >_<;!! I really hope it all pans out ok for you!!!... /makes lots and lots of coffee

*edit* and tyvm!!!! Usually I try to get by as far as I can on my own... but sometimes it's just like *Arrrrgh!!* lol ._.;;

hehe, its all worth it though! i'm pretty excited to make my film next semester... soon as I figure out what I want to do with it exactly (have two ideas, need to pick one!)

and yay coffee! :D I actually just made a cup of green tea. i'll see if I have any more decent drawings to share, too, sometime or another x_x; my most boring class takes up almost all of my time so I don't really like the work I put out for that class, which means I generally have nothing to show for my school work haha
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-22 04:53:27
Link | Citer | R

I'm telling Chong you're bitching on the internet again. Beware suspicious trucks in the night.

lolol, that's crazy daunting to hear all that stuff, though, seems like it'd be so stressing to have to force all that creativity out. I think they're just weakening you purposely so the shitty students can snack on your brain, Hal. :v Thank you again for helping; look how merry and cheerful this place is now. lol
 Asura.Israfel
By Asura.Israfel 2009-11-22 04:54:57
Link | Citer | R

*dances* I wannuh see the fiiiilm *_* lol
 Unicorn.Halciform
By Unicorn.Halciform 2009-11-22 04:55:56
Link | Citer | R

Seraph.Caiyuo said:
I'm telling Chong you're bitching on the internet again. Beware suspicious trucks in the night.

lolol, that's crazy daunting to hear all that stuff, though, seems like it'd be so stressing to have to force all that creativity out. I think they're just weakening you purposely so the shitty students can snack on your brain, Hal. :v Thank you again for helping; look how merry and cheerful this place is now. lol

Chong!? CHONG!? Chong nothing, this is HOBAICA PROJECT! Actually, these are for dan and hobaica... chong's assignment isn't due for a long time due to thanksgiving break and its a fun one anyway :)

It is a little stressing, i'm actually feeling a bit dried up right now and I def. need a break... but my project is coming along despite this. a good movie helps to get the creative juices flowing again '-'
 Unicorn.Halciform
By Unicorn.Halciform 2009-11-22 05:01:00
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Israfel said:
*dances* I wannuh see the fiiiilm *_* lol

I'll upload it if it isn't a disaster! I'm hoping it won't be lol

just for laffs though, this is one of my favorite student films from here

(hopefully no one takes offense, remember that it is a parody! Love the chuck jonesish feel of it)
 Asura.Israfel
By Asura.Israfel 2009-11-22 05:12:36
Link | Citer | R

omg!!! XD that was awesome lol

I'd like a pit o' snakes buttno too for when strange people come knocking at my door, trying to sell me tupperware :( lol

... poor fuhrball D:
 Sylph.Jetu
By Sylph.Jetu 2009-11-22 05:14:17
Link | Citer | R

hey, dont be knocking the tupperware, thats stuff is bloody awesome!
 Asura.Israfel
By Asura.Israfel 2009-11-22 05:15:41
Link | Citer | R

I already have enough of it! XD, soon I'll have enough tupperware to store my tupperware in!
 Unicorn.Halciform
By Unicorn.Halciform 2009-11-22 05:17:22
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Israfel said:
omg!!! XD that was awesome lol

I'd like a pit o' snakes buttno too for when strange people come knocking at my door, trying to sell me tupperware :( lol

... poor fuhrball D:

yes XDD there are a lot of great student films... it's really strange to watch Craig McCracken's, though, back from 92... its almost exactly a pilot episode of the Power Puff Girls only its the WHOOPASS GIRLS... crazy how it got adapted almost design for design and name-for-name into the real show!

Ah man, you guys are keeping me sane while I do my homework... thanks lol
 Sylph.Jetu
By Sylph.Jetu 2009-11-22 05:17:53
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Israfel said:
I already have enough of it! XD, soon I'll have enough tupperware to store my tupperware in!
cause thats what good tupperware does, stacks up inside itself to save space, just like ppl do for fun
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-22 05:19:20
Link | Citer | R

War. lol

I really need to invest in my own pit o'snakes at some point, though hopefully handsome Hasselhoff never visits because he is apparently immune.

Anyway, as far as a good movie is concerned, I rewatched Tombstone last month and got on this big modern western kick. Can't even explain. lol
 Asura.Israfel
By Asura.Israfel 2009-11-22 05:26:18
Link | Citer | R

If you're ever after a complete creative meltdown type movie, Tansem Singh's The Fall was omfgawesome.
I cried like a baby at the end... really I'm quite a tough little thing... but the storyline was so moving, add on that it was a creative orgasm, so colorful, amazing camera work and lots of optical illusions, I love how he'd blend seamlessly from one scene to another... it was like a serious O_O... <3 for me

/locks Jetu-bat in a tupperware box D:

Now your wombat nose will stay fresh for a long time!! *mwah*! XD
 Sylph.Jetu
By Sylph.Jetu 2009-11-22 05:28:28
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Israfel said:
/locks Jetu-bat in a tupperware box D: Now your wombat nose will stay fresh for a long time!! *mwah*! XD
wouldnt be the 1st time i have been locked away for having someone wants
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-22 05:35:57
Link | Citer | R

Actually I saw The Fall too a few months ago and totally agree if you haven't seen, Hal. Suuuuper good movie that totally flew under the radar. Probably because the radar is ambiguous and no one knows where it is to check these things. :u
 Asura.Israfel
By Asura.Israfel 2009-11-22 05:42:51
Link | Citer | R

It's the cute fuzzy-ness, Jetu!! Everyone wants the wombat for themselves :(

Cai!!!
Googly, Googly!!!
 Seraph.Caiyuo