Endeavoring To Awaken --A Guide To Rune Fencer

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 188 189 190
 Fenrir.Calamity
Serveur: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-03-28 13:56:46
Link | Citer | R

Kinda wondering, now clearly making a flame magian GS, but given it's properties as a tank, and the fact that it does not yet have any kind of legendary weapon with WS/AM you're gonna wanna keep glued on, anyone think it might be worth making earth and water (pdt and mdb) magians for situational use, for fights where you just need that little extra? I'm kinda on the fence about it myself. What do you guys think?
 Shiva.Tedril
Serveur: Shiva
user: Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2013-03-28 14:13:42
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
Enuyasha said: »
Fenrir.Schutz said: »
Were RUN's evasion and parry skill ranges mentioned in the patch notes/previous info releases/data scraping? The Swordplay ability (increased accuracy/eva until a critical hit is received) and Inquartata and Tactical Parry (parry bonus/TP bonus to parries) traits imply that it's going to be a high evasion/parry type job, no?

If that's the case, then maybe an eva set or hybrid set (hopefully the job is not solo-only type thing) might be needed at some point also.
For just physical spamming mobs yea, but hopefully we would be using a PLD WAR/DRK/SAM for those :(

Fixed that for you.
at the time i didnt know SE would pander to idiots again with temps. But the point still stands. PLD is the best physical tank as far as taking hits is concerned.

PLD can't tank. Tanking involves maintaining hate while your melee bring it's HP down so that you can win the fight, PLD can not currently do this. I mentioned those other jobs because their all capable of getting 50% PDT/MDT which is all that's needed for survival purposes. Remember a tank's job isn't to take as little damage as possible, it's to hold the monsters hate. They only need to reduce damage far enough to stay alive, which any DD with a decent "ohh sh!t" set can do.
Get a good pld...
 Shiva.Tedril
user: Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2013-03-28 14:16:01
Link | Citer | R

So whats gonna be going on with AF1/2/3 gear sets? later release time?
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2013-03-28 14:31:42
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Tedril said: »
So whats gonna be going on with AF1/2/3 gear sets? later release time?

They said RUN/GEO Genkai 5 will be next update, I'd bet it'll be then.

DAE remember "Genkai"? F*ck I'm old!
 Bahamut.Bojack
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2013-03-28 18:31:17
Link | Citer | R

Some of the RUN abilities say it's based on the 'number of runes' you have. As far as I can tell you can only have 1 Rune up at a time. Am I missing something?
By Enuyasha 2013-03-28 18:33:25
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Bojack said: »
Some of the RUN abilities say it's based on the 'number of runes' you have. As far as I can tell you can only have 1 Rune up at a time. Am I missing something?
1 til 35 2 til 65 3 after 65

Which is stupid to me...should be 5 equally staggered til the 90's -.-;
 Ragnarok.Redwolfx
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Redwolfx
By Ragnarok.Redwolfx 2013-03-28 18:37:06
Link | Citer | R

do like 1.5k damage if your weapon lvl is at 400+ every lunge/2mins, did on sword you can have 3 runes up at same time, some reason only uses 2 out of 3 when 90+..
By Enuyasha 2013-03-28 18:40:21
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Redwolfx said: »
do like 1.5k damage if your weapon lvl is at 400+ every lunge/2mins, did on sword you can have 3 runes up at same time, some reason only uses 2 out of 3 when 90+..
i'v had it randomly not use 1 at 30ish.
 Bahamut.Bojack
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2013-03-28 18:52:41
Link | Citer | R

If you can keep up multiple runes can you do enspell damage of different types at the same time? Or is it only the most recent rune that affects your damage?
By Enuyasha 2013-03-28 18:54:28
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Bojack said: »
If you can keep up multiple runes can you do enspell damage of different types at the same time? Or is it only the most recent rune that affects your damage?
the last rune you use gives the enspell, but you gain the resistances of all runes active. Also, Lunges element is determined by the most recent rune used
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-03-28 18:58:59
Link | Citer | R

This is also coming from the old mindset. We have a new enmity system. We dont know exactly how badass the ability CE/VE values have become. Also, Curecheat set, look that up bro.

Anyway, someone said Lunge works. How does it work!?

Spellcast is a ***

We know exactly what was changed because SE has been telling us for weeks now. There is no "new enmity system", where the hell do guys get this sh!t?

SE merely reduced the CE/VE values gained from enmity on higher level targets to 30% of their old value. They didn't increase the enmity from any of the "hate tools" of 2006. We can easily calculate out the respective enmity values and compare them, which I already have up above. As for "cure cheat" MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. There is a very good reason it was abandoned. If your intellectually honest you'll be read kanican's numbers to get an idea of how bad most of you guys sound.

Damage is still the #1 hate source by a very large margin. Nobody can dispute this.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-03-28 19:01:55
Link | Citer | R

And exactly which super secret non-listed set of buttons would a "good PLD" be pushing? We know the enmity and recast values of every single ability and tool, they all suck. This is SE's fault for not redoing them years ago.
[+]
By Enuyasha 2013-03-28 19:06:06
Link | Citer | R

The kind where they know what theyre doing
 Ragnarok.Redwolfx
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Redwolfx
By Ragnarok.Redwolfx 2013-03-28 19:13:22
Link | Citer | R

Rune does high damage, I see it as more of a support job, despit the fact their abilities generate decent amount of hate.. honestly have rune next to pld to put that "One for All" ability that gives everyone magic shield to annul dmg, only thing Rune has going for them is lunge, and abilty to absorb next incoming spell or negate it all together, downtime is 10min.. you can have different elements stacked, gives you different resist magic across the board.
i seen 127+ resistance so far stacking 2 earths and 1 wind

Im probably going to play with /run for a bit as PLD, just to do damage and save tp for other ws or even chilvary..
By Enuyasha 2013-03-28 19:25:03
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Redwolfx said: »
Rune does high damage, I see it as more of a support job, despit the fact their abilities generate decent amount of hate.. honestly have rune next to pld to put that "One for All" ability that gives everyone magic shield to annul dmg, only thing Rune has going for them is lunge, and abilty to absorb next incoming spell or negate it all together, downtime is 10min.. you can have different elements stacked, gives you different resist magic across the board.
i seen 127+ resistance so far stacking 2 earths and 1 wind

Im probably going to play with /run for a bit as PLD, just to do damage and save tp for other ws or even chilvary..
the resists will be great with Fealty + RUN buffs + Pflug
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-03-28 19:31:15
Link | Citer | R

You have yet to answer the question. Here is your great chance to prove Saevel wrong. Show how the abilities and their respective hate values will generate more enmity then damage. Remember we know exactly how enmity is calculated so no fibbing.
[+]
 Shiva.Arana
user: Arana1
By Shiva.Arana 2013-03-28 19:34:49
Link | Citer | R

It is impossible good or bad for a PLD to keep hate off of a good DD for more than the first few minutes of a fight...if that.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-03-28 19:50:03
Link | Citer | R

this is the first time I've ever agreed with Saevel.
[+]
By Enuyasha 2013-03-28 19:52:41
Link | Citer | R

You have yet to answer the question. Here is your great chance to prove Saevel wrong. Show how the abilities and their respective hate values will generate more enmity then damage. Remember we know exactly how enmity is calculated so no fibbing.
they wont generate more enmity immediately but rather over time. the fun thing about DDtanks is they bleed CE/VE. A PLD takes less damage and with a few choice pieces looses less enmity while doing so. I can also say that i notice RUNs abilities grant WAY more enmity than a normal ability does. so, if it transfers well, PLD/rnf may be a great long term fight choice than ZERGZERGZERG. We are not in the wonderful land of proc and laugh as the mob tries to oneshot you with its physical weaponskill. These fights (or so they seem) will be longer and will prolly result in lots of dead DD's where you need a REAL Tank class and not some improvised DD fluke.
 Leviathan.Kincard
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-03-28 19:54:07
Link | Citer | R

For those of you who are wondering about the viability of RUN's evasive ability and how it relates to tanking, let me try to explain why it's not looking very good, at least as far as old monster design is concerned. If new monsters have different (That is, lower) accuracy, this post won't matter as much.

I currently use a hybrid set on Ninja that looks like this:
ItemSet 294395

With this set plus Yonin and Kurayami: Ni, I have something like a 60% dodge rate on Dhorme Khrysokhimaira. Consider these points:

-Ninja has 13 more evasion skill than RUN at 99, which is ~5.8% more evasion
-Dancer has same skill as RUN but has 24% extra dodge from evasion bonus so they dodge 18% more often than NINs without Yonin, without considering Closed Position
-Thief has A+ skill and higher evasion bonus and dodge ~34% better than NINs without Yonin
-Despite this, any one of these three jobs will be destroyed by high level monsters if they try to dodge tank them, most enemies that can be dodge tanked are the mid-high level ones like the Salvage bosses
-Half the time you won't bother doing that anyway because you either are not going to keep hate in your evasion set or it's not dangerous enough to bother
-Yonin decays but it can be up full time if you are not being dispelled, Swordplay lasts 2 minutes every 5 minutes
-Utsusemi is (usually) better than Seigan when talking in terms of actually tanking

Also, I don't think Parrying is even worth considering when you're gearing. On every high level monster your base parry rate is getting floored so the only advantage RUN has is from its trait, which admittedly is nice- even just 5% would add a decent extra layer to dodging attacks, and parrying works more consistently vs enemy WSs.

Not trying to be down on the job btw, I'm enjoying playing it so far, but I am wondering about how viable evade tanking is because even the jobs that are best at it usually won't bother doing it when it's actually applicable.
[+]
By Enuyasha 2013-03-28 19:59:00
Link | Citer | R

Yea, i was definitely wondering if i should bother keeping all my EVA+ pieces in my inventory or not :<
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-03-28 20:01:31
Link | Citer | R

I'm not seeing RUN's evasion as a primary method of damage mitigation, just a supplement to its actual forte (magic damage reduction), softening the blow of having very little natural physical damage mitigation.
By Enuyasha 2013-03-28 20:06:34
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
I'm not seeing RUN's evasion as a primary method of damage mitigation, just a supplement to its actual forte (magic damage reduction), softening the blow of having very little natural physical damage mitigation.
might be interesting with Foil stacked on to avoid a bad WS.
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-03-28 20:08:35
Link | Citer | R

I guess the problem with evasion tanking on really hard stuff is, when you wear -DT gear, 100% of the time you'll take 50% less damage, and when you max out your evasion, 80% of the time you'll take 0 damage, and then the 20% you'll get one-shotted. (Exaggerating but you understand my point hopefully)

So the solution is for them to add gear that's hybrid of like...DT, evasion, and DPS...which would be hard to design without it being so in-between that it's useless or making it so omnipotent that it's broken. I dunno.
By Enuyasha 2013-03-28 20:10:22
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Kincard said: »
I guess the problem with evasion tanking on really hard stuff is, when you wear -DT gear, 100% of the time you'll take 50% less damage, and when you max out your evasion, 80% of the time you'll take 0 damage, and then the 20% you'll get one-shotted. (Exaggerating but you understand my point hopefully)

So the solution is for them to add gear that's hybrid of like...DT, evasion, and DPS...which would be hard to design without it being so in-between that it's useless or making it so omnipotent that it's broken. I dunno.
they have like a EVA+ DT- peice already in a legs slot...but i think its heavy armor. Cant remember the name really.
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-03-28 20:12:38
Link | Citer | R

Probably briscard cuisses. Funny thing is that at first I thought they added those into the game with RUN in mind.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-03-28 20:15:49
Link | Citer | R

they wont generate more enmity immediately but rather over time. the fun thing about DDtanks is they bleed CE/VE. A PLD takes less damage and with a few choice pieces looses less enmity while doing so. I can also say that i notice RUNs abilities grant WAY more enmity than a normal ability does. so, if it transfers well, PLD/rnf may be a great long term fight choice than ZERGZERGZERG. We are not in the wonderful land of proc and laugh as the mob tries to oneshot you with its physical weaponskill. These fights (or so they seem) will be longer and will prolly result in lots of dead DD's where you need a REAL Tank class and not some improvised DD fluke.

You have that reversed. A PLD would hold initial hate due to the VE spike. After a length of time the CE generation from the DDs surpasses the hate of the PLD. Once that happens the DD is now the tang.

DD do not bleed hate. Thanks to team kanican we know how much CE is lost on damage. Well everyone but you it seems. The bottom line is that our HP isnt high enough to bleed significant amounts of enmity. Anything that would remove more hate then a weak DD is generating would also kill the DD. This is why DT sets are necessary for any serious DD.

Your definition of tank is irrevelant. Tank has three functions that i have already listed above. Meet those three and ur a tank.
[+]
By Enuyasha 2013-03-28 20:20:12
Link | Citer | R

You have that reversed. A PLD would hold initial hate due to the VE spike. After a length of time the CE generation from the DDs surpasses the hate of the PLD. Once that happens the DD is now the tang.

DD do not bleed hate. Thanks to team kanican we know how much CE is lost on damage. Well everyone but you it seems. The bottom line is that our HP isnt high enough to bleed significant amounts of enmity. Anything that would remove more hate then a weak DD is generating would also kill the DD. This is why DT sets are necessary for any serious DD.

Your definition of tank is irrevelant. Tank has three functions that i have already listed above. Meet those three and ur a tank.
You will still die anyway, so whats the point really? you seem to forget that a PLD has more DEF abilities/tricks than a DRK whom lowers his DEF to increase his attack opening them to large damage spikes. A WAR does the same. SAM is a TankDD anyway so im not going to argue that, anyway, the point being if the fights are longer and all your DD are getting raped out the *** by damage a PLD should be used as they will have less trouble staying alive and up (hey, even doing damage.) while the group is recouperating. Like i said, we are not in tempnuub land where any DD can tank and survive. Even with DT- sets, they will die a horrible death.
 Bahamut.Serj
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2013-03-28 20:23:14
Link | Citer | R

If everyone but the pld is dying horribly instantly, you aren't going to kill whatever the *** you're fighting ever.
By Enuyasha 2013-03-28 20:25:58
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Serj said: »
If everyone but the pld is dying horribly instantly, you aren't going to kill whatever the *** you're fighting ever.
with Zerg tactics no :| But you know, in case the time comes where the events arent Zergfest events.
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 188 189 190