Endeavoring To Awaken --A Guide To Rune Fencer

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
First Page 2 3 ... 29 30 31 ... 188 189 190
 Shiva.Tedril
Serveur: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2013-04-22 09:58:49
Link | Citer | R

Here's my two cents... A lot of jobs are completely dependent upon a r/e/m weapons and AF1/2/3 gear and run has none. That being said run has none, there quite a few jobs and situations where these items are job changing so my thoughts of run remain in the dark until there can be more known about the jobs potential. For example take away R/E/M's and black belt for a monk and you have a naked idiot trying to punch stuff, or take away all of red mage fast cast AF, and ninja's kannagi etc...
By kenshynofshiva 2013-04-22 10:03:24
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Baroma said: »
I had a blast in abbysea worm party lvling it. I did Atma of Beyond VV and MC. the Lunge damage was amazing with the MAB. and also with /sam i did sekka SS >> GS >> Distortion followed by Gelus Lunge for MB 3380 dmg with no added MB gear besides the atma :) Had the biggest grin on my face!

in abyssea my bard can do 4k ws just saying >.>. Any job with the right atmas and a crit ws can destroy stuff...
By Chyula 2013-04-22 10:50:28
Link | Citer | R

here is what I think need to be adjusted to this useless job.

1. Parry rate - if S.E is taking this job to a magic and parry tanking direction then the parry rate will have to be very very high and I'm talking about around 50%-75% range when compare to pld's block and parry rating, and I'm not even consider Ochain into this comparision. As for the evasion part of tanking you can pretty much forget about it because anything that count will even murder a high evasion job like nin and thf but nin have shadows and migawari to mitigate the damage and run have none. Run is a very squishy job too.

2. The *** 3 rune charge setting have to go and adjust its potency through job trait by increment at certain level range or make it 3 rune charge but instead of choosing different elements you'll get a magic resist and enemy magic resist down and the effect will get enhanced with more rune charge.

3. make something like a step move with a similar low recast timer and able to generate decent amount of enmity, but these move have a trade off. e.g. something like mob's critical rate down but will gain magic critical rate, something the mob will drop the physical output but gain magical benefits.
 Odin.Eikechi
Serveur: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-04-22 10:55:49
Link | Citer | R

Chyula said: »
here is what I think need to be adjusted to this useless job.

1. Parry rate - if S.E is taking this job to a magic and parry tanking direction then the parry rate will have to be very very high and I'm talking about around 50%-75% range when compare to pld's block and parry rating, and I'm not even consider Ochain into this comparision. As for the evasion part of tanking you can pretty much forget about it because anything that count will even murder a high evasion job like nin and thf but nin have shadows and migawari to mitigate the damage and run have none. Run is a very squishy job too.

2. The *** 3 rune charge setting have to go and adjust its potency through job trait by increment at certain level range or make it 3 rune charge but instead of choosing different elements you'll get a magic resist and enemy magic resist down and the effect will get enhanced with more rune charge.

3. make something like a step move with a similar low recast timer and able to generate decent amount of enmity, but these move have a trade off. e.g. something like mob's critical rate down but will gain magic critical rate, something the mob will drop the physical output but gain magical benefits.

Was any of this serious? A 50-75% parry rate would be incredibly unbalanced considering parry mitigates all of the dmg in a single hit. And there are JAs for magic resist- (or rather -magic def to a certain element). It's called Gambit. Run can generate decent enmity too with constant flashes and the ward JAs. Have you even played this "useless" job? Not to mention it doesn't have a large chunk of it's gear that it's missing so the job will definitely have massive gains once AF1/2/3 come out.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-22 10:58:12
Link | Citer | R

The job is fun, but he's right, it's useless for about anything. And the physical defense is one of the biggest issues cause as it is it can't tank anything at all.
 Odin.Eikechi
Serveur: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-04-22 11:00:28
Link | Citer | R

For AoE or just tank magic dmg mitigation it is the tops. Giving all party members the magic shields has saved my low-man groups when dicking around for sure. And it's not like /nin is impossible to use to help with it's physical mitigation. Also it's fun to solo magic heavy mobs like Suzaku on. I certainly wouldn't call the job useless, especially considering the job isn't even remotely close to fleshed out yet.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-22 11:05:43
Link | Citer | R

When talking about usefulness I think of endgame content. Go run/nin to Odin The Second, Paramount Gallu or a naakual and see how much it lasts.
The job sure works for Salvage or Meebles, but that's cause the events themselves are easy and you can bring any other useless job like nin and bst.
By kenshynofshiva 2013-04-22 12:40:16
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
When talking about usefulness I think of endgame content. Go run/nin to Odin The Second, Paramount Gallu or a naakual and see how much it lasts.
The job sure works for Salvage or Meebles, but that's cause the events themselves are easy and you can bring any other useless job like nin and bst.

Yeah at 99 atm no place in my low man group just doesn't bring enough to the table over other jobs same with GEO.
 Ragnarok.Taereon
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Halo4
By Ragnarok.Taereon 2013-04-22 18:29:34
Link | Citer | R

Fast Cast with an instacast proc.
Evasion bonus.
Some kind of trait that makes cures casted on RUNs cure more.
I agree with the parry rate stuff.
Give some kind of defense bonus with the amount of runes you have up and give us up to 5 runes at a time.
Sword mastery- gives you a chance to retaliate with a attack of your own after a parry.
A bonus to regen like SCH has.
Stout Servant :D
An enhanced parry while casting spells or an aquaveil effect affected by the amount of runes you have up.

Like I said a few days after the job was released Temper would be amazing, at say level 55 and a temper II at 99.

I think the opposite of embolden would be great. Give buffs a longer duration (triple or double) and weaken them by a SMALL percentage.
 Fenrir.Calamity
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-04-22 18:33:12
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Taereon said: »
Evasion bonus.
Give some kind of defense bonus with the amount of runes you have up and give us up to 5 runes at a time.
Sword mastery- gives you a chance to retaliate with a attack of your own after a parry.
An enhanced parry while casting spells or an aquaveil effect affected by the amount of runes you have up.

Like I said a few days after the job was released Temper would be amazing, at say level 55 and a temper II at 99.

I think the opposite of embolden would be great. Give buffs a longer duration (triple or double) and weaken them by a SMALL percentage.
....what?
 Ragnarok.Taereon
By Ragnarok.Taereon 2013-04-22 18:33:53
Link | Citer | R

Let's be real though, it needs to be able to cure itself somehow or it will need to tank with it's face with a buff like Fan Dance.
 Ragnarok.Taereon
By Ragnarok.Taereon 2013-04-22 18:34:39
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Calamity said: »
Ragnarok.Taereon said: »
Evasion bonus.

....what?
A damage mitigation type of buff that works on the player and not on a pet.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-04-22 18:57:33
Link | Citer | R

Actually, one of the traits RUN desperately needs is something that works with the active runes.
Ignis - STR/Attack increments based on number active
Gelus - INT/MAB increments based on number active
Flabra - AGI/Evasion ^
Tellus - VIT/PDT ^
Sulpor - DEX/Accuracy ^
Unda - MND/MDB ^
Lux - Regen ^
Tenebrae - Refresh ^

All of these would act in a similar fashion to how Maneuvers and attachments work for pup, but still in keeping with the Enspell damage and resistance boost, and Elemental Magic Defence down effect from Gambit.

IF (this is a big IF) they go with this idea, which makes RUN feasible as a melee DD or magic tank, i doubt the effects would be all that strong. IE. The status bonus to Ignis would be +3 STR for each ignis rune, and attack+3% (keep it small and reasonable), where as the refresh would be +1 for each rune, and the regen +2 for each rune.
[+]
 Bismarck.Zuidar
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2013-04-22 19:10:23
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Actually, one of the traits RUN desperately needs is something that works with the active runes.
Flabra - AGI/Evasion ^
Tellus - VIT/PDT ^
Sulpor - DEX/Accuracy ^
Unda - MND/MDB ^
Lux - Regen ^
Tenebrae - Refresh ^

All of these would act in a similar fashion to how Maneuvers and attachments work for pup, but still in keeping with the Enspell damage and resistance boost, and Elemental Magic Defence down effect from Gambit.

IF (this is a big IF) they go with this idea, which makes RUN feasible as a melee DD or magic tank, i doubt the effects would be all that strong. IE. The status bonus to Ignis would be +3 STR for each ignis rune, and attack+3% (keep it small and reasonable), where as the refresh would be +1 for each rune, and the regen +2 for each rune.

So loving this post! What kind of name would you give this trait :)
"Runic Surge"?
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-04-22 19:18:10
Link | Citer | R

Runic Surge or Runic Empowerment or something. It would have to be a somewhat early trait, so you can see the base progression - i'd say level 20 or 25, definetly before your second rune enchantment stock.

What i proposed actually gives Rune Fencer some very powerful utility, and a way to increase it's attack power, just enough to stay relevant in pretty much any content or situation, while still maintaining that "Magic Tank" attitude.
 Fenrir.Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-04-22 19:34:23
Link | Citer | R

Flabra - AGI/Evasion ^
Tellus - VIT/PDT ^
Sulpor - DEX/Accuracy ^
Unda - MND/MDB ^
Lux - Regen ^
Tenebrae - Refresh ^

I doubt they'd do such a trait, just because, as has been pointed out before, it then becomes about using the the runes for their effects, rather than using them for the elemental support, and let's face it, in this game it'll be ignis rune x3 24/7. What I could see though, is a new ward with a similar sort of effect. Expends your current runes to give you the above effects.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-04-22 19:38:59
Link | Citer | R

Eh, with the "Herp a derp DD all the things" mentality, i do agree that it's highly possible, however, if used correctly, it opens RUN up for different situations and roles. Let's not forget that people would be expending their runes with gambit and lunge as well when it matters.

Obviously coming up with an idea that works isn't going to be easy, because you have to overcome some of the pitfalls, as Calamity pointed out. But hey, it's a start!
 Carbuncle.Verina
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Verina
By Carbuncle.Verina 2013-04-22 21:59:15
Link | Citer | R

Came up with something similar closer to the start of the thread, as kind of a hybrid between a sch's stormsurge merit and blu's ability to pick and choose job traits. Though a really good counterpoint posted on BG was that with the way players view the game differently from devs, people would just pump 3 ignis runes all the time just to get the atk boost and then play it like a DD. Or use 3 gelus runes and then play it like a Quickdraw cor on steroids. Both of those really detract from what could be a really unique type of support tank for this game. Square peg round hole, etc.

In thinking about it more, what about a Divine category spell that works similar to dispel but strictly for Protect/Shell and lowering an enemies Def/MDef? The "DeBarrier" spells were something really interesting to me from FF7 that never really caught on again until FF13. I know we have Gambit already, but instead of elemental resistance these could specifically lower MDB or Def for everyone to take advantage of.
 Shiva.Spathaian
Serveur: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2013-04-22 22:47:59
Link | Citer | R

Flabra - AGI/Evasion ^
Tellus - VIT/PDT ^
Sulpor - DEX/Accuracy ^
Unda - MND/MDB ^
Lux - Regen ^
Tenebrae - Refresh ^

I doubt they'd do such a trait, just because, as has been pointed out before, it then becomes about using the the runes for their effects, rather than using them for the elemental support, and let's face it, in this game it'll be ignis rune x3 24/7. What I could see though, is a new ward with a similar sort of effect. Expends your current runes to give you the above effects.
Sorry to get technical but lets remember also that it would have to be an Effusion to follow the expending runes rule. It appears SE is trying to make that one of the unique differences between Wards and Effusion. All Wards retain your current Runes after use while Effusions expend them.
 Phoenix.Shiomi
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Shiomi
By Phoenix.Shiomi 2013-04-23 00:17:24
Link | Citer | R

ItemSet 294538

So this is what I am currently working with for Reso. Besides Toci's Harness is there anything really better?

4 Double Attack on Cap.
3 STR, 5 Attack on Feet.
 Fenrir.Calamity
By Fenrir.Calamity 2013-04-23 00:21:51
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Spathaian said: »
Flabra - AGI/Evasion ^
Tellus - VIT/PDT ^
Sulpor - DEX/Accuracy ^
Unda - MND/MDB ^
Lux - Regen ^
Tenebrae - Refresh ^

Sorry to get technical but lets remember also that it would have to be an Effusion to follow the expending runes rule. It appears SE is trying to make that one of the unique differences between Wards and Effusion. All Wards retain your current Runes after use while Effusions expend them.
Maybe. But maybe not. Let me also point out that all wards are self target buffs, while all effusions target your opponent in an offensive manner.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-23 03:46:49
Link | Citer | R

Putting stats on runes would kill the point of runes altogether. Don't want tbh.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-04-23 04:02:08
Link | Citer | R

Although i personally love my idea, i completely understand why some people would be against it. It just needs something to make it relevant, and like it or not, it atleast has people buzzing it around in their heads, and actively discussing it.

Pros and Cons alike. You could ideally put up the runes as you need them to enhance a specific stat or bonus, since the STR/Attack which could apply to ignis wouldn't always be ideal when it comes to soloing, party situation (especially if a mob is known to use a specific element, or is already weak to 1 element, and the best course of action is to further weaken it with gambit) or alliance event.

Would it detract from the values of having runes up? It's a high possibility, but the weight of the matter would come down to "Do the pros outweigh the cons?" Even going through all the pros and cons, and the debate around it, i could very well decide to scrap my idea and speak no further on it. Or maybe it could simply be a meritable trait instead of something easily gained at lower levels.

Maybe we could merit a trait that gives us more runes to stock, though i would think it would limit the effect at 6. Perhaps a merit that enhances the potency of Rune Enchantments, Lunge, Wards, and Gambit.

Gambit effect could be meritable by 1% per merit level to grant 35% with 3 runes. Increase Lunge MAB by X amount. Increase Enhancing Magic Duration by X%, and so forth.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-23 04:16:14
Link | Citer | R

Stats on runes are not needed. Run needs to get better at what it was designed for, not at what people want to turn it into. So better defensive stance.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-04-23 04:40:31
Link | Citer | R

Merits I'd like to see--

Group 1
Swordplay effect duration -- +12s per merit

Rune enchantment effect -- Increases rune damage and resistance bonuses by 10% per merit

Embolden recast -- -30 seconds per merit

Inquartata effect -- +1% parry rate per merit

Group 2
Absence of Blade -- 5m cooldown 3m duration, significantly lowers parry and evasion rates while enhancing attack, attack speed, and critical hit rate.

Coquille - 5m cooldown 3m duration, significantly enhances parry, evasion, and -spell interruption rates while lowering attack and critical hit damage.

Envoûtement - Trait. Causes Lunge to bestow enhancements to attributes based on harbored runes. Potency is determined by the number of runes harbored and duration of all buffs is 2 minutes. Fire = attack, Ice = magic attack, Wind = evasion, Earth = defense, Thunder = critical hit rate, Water = Regen, Darkness = magic defense bonus, Light = self target heal

Deflection - Trait. Occasionally nullifies magic damage taken.

Envoûtement adds additional utility to runes while not undermining their primary function; you can put up 3 runes for Lunge, then put the three you're wanting to use strategically afterward.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-04-23 04:41:54
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Stats on runes are not needed. Run needs to get better at what it was designed for, not at what people want to turn it into. So better defensive stance.

Personally, i agree to some extent, and the proposed idea pitched would help do that - the problem however, lies in the development team quite clearly stating "We are waiting to see how the playerbase uses Rune Fencer and Geomancer before making any adjustments" or something to that extent, so they left it up to us to decide how to use it.

RUN would still have it's base properties intact, and some of them even enhanced further to mitigate physical damage, magic damage, they lack severely in regards to maintaining sufficient MP for flash and foil spam.

They would also need a trait that exclusively helps with Spell Interruption Rate -%, since casting aquaveil is pretty useless during an extended fight. The original idea was to create ways to keep a RUN relevant, without it being over-powered in limited terms. It still wouldn't touch other DDs, it just needs something to give it a little extra Oomph.

As I said before, it comes down to the pros and cons, and how they are weighted. If you have any other ideas to make RUN relevant, or to enhance the abilities/traits, etc. they already have, do share.
 Asura.Baroma
Serveur: Asura
user: baroma
By Asura.Baroma 2013-04-23 04:42:26
Link | Citer | R

kenshynofshiva said: »
Asura.Baroma said: »
I had a blast in abbysea worm party lvling it. I did Atma of Beyond VV and MC. the Lunge damage was amazing with the MAB. and also with /sam i did sekka SS >> GS >> Distortion followed by Gelus Lunge for MB 3380 dmg with no added MB gear besides the atma :) Had the biggest grin on my face!

in abyssea my bard can do 4k ws just saying >.>. Any job with the right atmas and a crit ws can destroy stuff...

Oh I know that. I was just saying that the Lunge Job Ability dmg is fun to play with. Having fun with it! just tells me MAB set is needed for even more fun!

PS: congrats on brd WS. :) (Lunge isnt a WS, just saying)
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-04-23 04:53:20
Link | Citer | R

A deflection trait is something I would love to see, honestly, even if it has only a 5% maximum meritable tier, but then it could be further enhanced by relic +2, or even empyrean.

As for Armor, I would love to see a 4th rune stock piece, because 3 Runes is going to be pretty sad once Rune gets accepted into the endgame scenario. Could even do another rune stock on relic or empyrean, or have a total of 6 runes stocked for one massive Gambit effect, or Lunge damage.

Prothescar's Envoutement idea would probably be limited to 3 runes, otherwise risk of severe overpowering, and subsequently being hit by every kind of nerf weapon SE owns.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-04-23 04:56:03
Link | Citer | R

honestly wouldn't expect any of the buffs to be that strong. stuff like +30atk for 3 runes, 15/tic regen, +15MDB, +6% crit rate, a 500HP heal...

Would hope it'd be its own effect though so it stacks with other things. it'd be a small to moderate bonus, really. anything else would be fairly overpowered. would probably merit the stances myself anyway
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-04-23 04:57:31
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
honestly wouldn't expect any of the buffs to be that strong. stuff like +30atk for 3 runes, 15/tic regen, +15MDB, +6% crit rate, a 500HP heal...

Would hope it'd be its own effect though so it stacks with other things.
This is basically on the same track i was talking about, and probably a better idea than what i had. Still similar in nature, although the attack+ is weaker, the other effects seem stronger.
First Page 2 3 ... 29 30 31 ... 188 189 190