IiPunch - Monk Guide

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » iiPunch - Monk Guide
iiPunch - Monk Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 127 128 129 ... 363 364 365
By Blazed1979 2017-07-04 14:19:38
Link | Citer | R

bah - just took MNK out with everything BiS and won't do it again.
Thought "hey! maybe the few additional dmg from HQ Ken set will be impressive enough to actually play this sometimes". "Impressive enough" would have been within 10% of my friend's BLU. but to get absolutely destroyed by 30% margin... bah.. BAH!!!
 Asura.Azagarth
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2017-07-04 16:29:43
Link | Citer | R

user error! mnk all things!
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
Serveur: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-05 09:32:07
Link | Citer | R

HQ ken set is more for epeen than anything (for MNK). Some pieces matter a lot for SAM. But, for MNK, don't expect an extra TA+2 and no attack at all to do much... And, yes, I know it has Crit rate+ also, but MNK crits a lot as it is so I can't say even that would be noticeable.

Unless accuracy is needed. But it never is...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-07-05 09:33:07
Link | Citer | R

Another update, another nothing burger for MNK to munch on.

How's that taste? Salty?
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2017-07-05 10:50:33
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, if they brought MNK back to equal footing with other DD's I would come back for that.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-07-09 01:02:55
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Cherrywine said: »
Unless accuracy is needed. But it never is...

I wouldn't say that's necessarily the case, I was in an Intense Ambuscade the other day with WHM PLD BRD DDx3, and I wasn't capping acc. I was on NIN, but my NIN TP set is very similar to what I use on MNK (and actually better overall acc thanks to offhand + more JPs). Easily addressed that issue by switching to a higher Acc set with some Kendatsuba NQ pieces and it worked nicely.

Now, I'm with you that HQ are pretty much epeen pieces, but the NQ set has its uses. I mean, if you're bringing MNK to something with ideal buffs/setup, yeah, you're probably not gonna need your highest Acc set. But I think it's not terribly strange for someone to get more chances to use MNK on content where you might not have (or care to build) perfect party setups - like a more casual Ambuscade run.

And hey, Kendatsuba also has a ton of Meva, if that's ever a thing. It's not a bad option on any acc-heavy content, particularly head/body/legs.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-09 10:36:55
Link | Citer | R

I'm not sure why anyone would bring MNK to a situation where accuracy mattered. It is literally the worst DD you could bring in that situation--Predominantly any situation, but extremely bad in situations where accuracy is necessary. Bring something that has access to stats from an off-hand or grip...

NIN makes sense for this month's Ambuscade, as Utsu is especially nice for Excaliber and great for any of the fomor.

But for those that have access to HQ ken, only the body matters for MNK. Don't gear incorrectly just to humble brag--Wearing the full set will reduce your DPS. Also, for those that have access to HQ ken, accuracy shouldn't matter.
By pchan 2017-07-09 13:32:08
Link | Citer | R

What's the matter with excalibur ambuscade ? Death warp and try again. Problem solved.

An cherrywine stop spreading HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE nonsense. 4/5 Kentatsuba NQ is the best set for monk in nearly every situation, and 4/5 Kendatsuba+1 is even better. Note that the Anchorite's gaiters +3 beat both NQ and HQ kendatsuba though.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2017-07-09 13:41:37
Link | Citer | R

pchan said: »
What's the matter with excalibur ambuscade ? Death warp and try again. Problem solved.

An cherrywine stop spreading HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE nonsense. 4/5 Kentatsuba NQ is the best set for monk in nearly every situation, and 4/5 Kendatsuba+1 is even better. Note that the Anchorite's gaiters +3 beat both NQ and HQ kendatsuba though.
Good to see there's still some Old school MNKs around these parts.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-09 17:54:55
Link | Citer | R

We just beat Excalibur first because we bring the right jobs, it is easy and nothing scares us.

And, again, nothing you've said is true...
At most, a MNK can kick once per attack round (You can get two with the Tantra set bonus, but don't do this). If increasing your kick attack damage causes a big change in your DPS output, it is a clear sign you are doing something wrong. Which is easy to do since MNK is in a bad spot. For example, if your Victory Smites are averaging low, like 7k or so, I could see any gain in melee DPS as seeming the best place to focus. However, with some investment in your WS set, you should easily see between 22kish and the occasional sad 6k, and average in the 12-15k area.
Once you have a good WS set, pieces with high multi-attack and STP matter much more than excessive accuracy.

HQ ken body is the only SU3 piece that should be full-timed, if you have it. It is BiS for now.

The other pieces can be worn if a need in accuracy arises. It shouldn't, and, even if it does, swapping neck and ammo is better than giving up Samnuha Tights, Herc feet and Adhemar Bonnet +1.
They also have a use when taking heavy amounts of magic damage, but I haven't seen a battle that requires them to survive assuming you have other players that are as good as your gear.

Anyway, even with all of this gear worn at the right times, a MNK isn't going to beat a BLU. BLU is no weaker than it was and MNK hasn't received any changes to help it catch up to the top dogs. TA+2 isn't going to cut it.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-07-09 22:02:18
Link | Citer | R

I'm not sure why anyone would bring MNK to a situation where accuracy mattered. It is literally the worst DD you could bring in that situation--Predominantly any situation, but extremely bad in situations where accuracy is necessary. Bring something that has access to stats from an off-hand or grip...

NIN makes sense for this month's Ambuscade, as Utsu is especially nice for Excaliber and great for any of the fomor.

I don't know about you, but unless I'm trying to build an awesome VD Vol.1 Ambuscade party, I don't mind doing VD Vol.2 or N~D Vol.1 with whatever jobs people might feel like playing on. I'm not saying I'd seek out a MNK in a shout group or anything, and I realize it may not be the optimal job for maximum efficiency. But if we need to fill a DD slot and I or an LS friend felt like messing with MNK, something relatively low key like Ambuscade is pretty much a perfect place to actually get to play it. God knows it's useless in more "serious" content.

And yeah, your MNK might not have capped acc without some gear adjustments in that kind of situation. NQ/HQ Ken set is generally a pretty reasonable place to get a lot of that acc. In particular, Body > Head > Legs (if necessary). I dunno that the HQ set is worth it to me for the benefit I'd personally get out of it, but if you have all the gil in the world, hey, knock yourself out.
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-10 06:13:55
Link | Citer | R

I get what you are saying. If you and your group don't mind a MNK coming along, that's cool. I'd personally feel guilty wasting the time of five other people by bringing MNK. But then, we spam Vol.1 VD to max out the points/gil, so we want to be done with it as efficiently as possible.

I did bring MNK to some boss Omen runs while it still needed cards. It did... Very poorly.
 Bahamut.Tychefm
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2017-07-10 07:02:39
Link | Citer | R

Edited for accuracy !

Quote:
I don't know about you, but unless I'm trying to build an awesome VD Vol.1 Ambuscade party, I don't mind doing VD Vol.2 or N~D Vol.1 with whatever TRUST I feel like. I'm not saying I'd seek out a TRUST in my Menu, and I realize it may not be the optimal thing for maximum efficiency. But if we need to fill a DD slot and I or an LS friend felt like messing with a TRUST, something relatively low key like Ambuscade is pretty much a perfect place to actually use it. God knows it's useless in more "serious" content.

And yeah, your TRUST might not have capped acc without some Food in that kind of situation. Marine Stewpot is generally a pretty reasonable food to get a lot of that acc. I dunno that the HQ Prime marine stewpot is worth it to me for the benefit I'd personally get out of it, but if you have all the gil in the world, hey, knock yourself out.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2017-07-10 07:43:40
Link | Citer | R

He is right that Anchorite gaiters +3 can be good (I use them with Bhikku legs +1, iirc), but wrong that Ken gear is worth a soggy ***, unless you're big on optimizing gear for conditions where you have a bolstering GEO and no bard.
By pchan 2017-07-10 08:10:57
Link | Citer | R

No I'm right on the whole thing ! I know it's something people don't do nowadays because the game is full of nerds and trusts but everything can be verified with a proper simulation (just like an old BG thread where I prove that nearly all melee mythic sucked).

Here a pyhton 3 prgramme I did recently after coming back to the game.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7wbcilaHsTeYzFFRG5FRGk5dWc/view?usp=sharing
[+]
By Felgarr 2017-07-10 08:14:10
Link | Citer | R

No I'm right on the whole thing ! I know it's something people don't do nowadays because the game is full of nerds and trusts but everything can be verified with a proper simulation (just like an old BG thread where I prove that nearly all melee mythic sucked).

Here a pyhton 3 prgramme I did recently after coming back to the game.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7wbcilaHsTeYzFFRG5FRGk5dWc/view?usp=sharing

What idea or statement exactly are you asserting? (I for one think the 20/20/40 math of Mythics sucks when yo can get TA+40% these days).
By pchan 2017-07-10 08:20:12
Link | Citer | R

We just beat Excalibur first because we bring the right jobs, it is easy and nothing scares us.
You are the one that mentionned this is this thread (not sure what it actually has to do with the discussion anyway), which clearly proves that you are having problem with it (or had problems at somme point ?). Personnally 2k AE with mdt/b maxed is doable on monk though not worth the effort when you can death warp instantly.

Quote:
stupid things about kicks

With the gaiters+3 and ambuscade mantle kicks are getting about the same DMG as the relics, so yeah it's worth !

Quote:
Once you have a good WS set, pieces with high multi-attack and STP matter much more than excessive accuracy.

Facepalm for store TP !

Quote:
than giving up Samnuha Tights, Herc feet .

I had to double check how much they suck, with augments !
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-10 08:44:16
Link | Citer | R

Herc feet with the proper augments are better than the SU3 body (the only SU3 piece worth wearing)...

In regards to kicks... Sure, you can make your kicks do as much damage as your fists. But you still only kick up to once per attack round. Gearing to maximize your fist damage, or to punch more often, is a better investment. Especially if you have a good WS build. It won't be better than other jobs, but it will be better than other builds on MNK.

If you are using insufficient buffs and are whiffing, sure, wear full SU3 and you'll do better. But it isn't the best you could be doing. You'll be losing out on better attributes to make up for your lack of buffs.

Oh, and someone else brought up wearing SU3 to Ambuscade on NIN, and that it should perform similarly on MNK. I just mentioned that bringing NIN has benefits. MNK brings nothing to the table, at all, with or without SU3.
And certainly, no one mentioned that it was too hard except Pchan.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-10 09:00:08
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
He is right that Anchorite gaiters +3 can be good (I use them with Bhikku legs +1, iirc), but wrong that Ken gear is worth a soggy ***, unless you're big on optimizing gear for conditions where you have a bolstering GEO and no bard.

I can see this as a stopgap if Sinister Reign isn't putting out... But probably only during Impetus, so you could pair the legs with the body? Otherwise, I would expect even NQ SU3 body, legs and Herc feet to perform better.
 Siren.Robthunder
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Robthunder 2017-07-10 09:54:20
Link | Citer | R

I always thought Bhikku legs+1 and Anchorite+3 feet were, for the most part, the best combo for legs+feet unless you needed like absolute max accuracy or something? I understand that's not what's on the front page but still.
 Fenrir.Ramzus
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2017-07-10 11:00:00
Link | Citer | R

They perform very similarly to samnuha capped and 4 TA Herc boots. I posted the numbers for it a while ago, didn't bother to update the sets because it was very very slightly better and I was too lazy to change a ton of sets lul
 Quetzalcoatl.Langly
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Langly
By Quetzalcoatl.Langly 2017-07-10 11:30:59
Link | Citer | R

pChan, where did you snag your mob stats from? And which iLevel target do they correlate to?

Outside of the "Ultra Setup" you have, are you assuming capped fSTR on all other targets?

~ty
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-10 12:28:54
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Ramzus said: »
They perform very similarly to samnuha capped and 4 TA Herc boots. I posted the numbers for it a while ago, didn't bother to update the sets because it was very very slightly better and I was too lazy to change a ton of sets lul

I stand corrected. If they are the best, they are the best.
Though, I won't be changing my sets since I use Samnuha Tights and Herc boots on other jobs. A super small change in DPS on the worst DPS job isn't reason to add more to one's inventory. I'm surprised they come out so strongly and now I'm very curious to see how the cards will fall when more +2/+3 JSE gears are released...
Either way you go, any more than SU3 body still isn't BiS for MNK.
 Fenrir.Ramzus
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2017-07-10 12:31:20
Link | Citer | R

I just played around with the spreadsheet, capped conditions I had

(Godhands)
Samnuha Cap/Anchorite +3>Bhikku +1/Anchorite +3 (4109)>Samnuha Cap/Herc TA+4 (4087)>Samnuha Cap/Herc TA +2 (4050)>Bhikku +1/Anchorite +1 (4023)

(Verethragna)
Bhikku +1/Anchorite +3 (4295)>Samnuha Cap/Anchorite +3 (4281)>Samnuha Cap/Herc TA+4 (4219)>Bhikku +1/Anchorite +1 (4186)>Samnuha Cap/Herc TA +2 (4183)

so actually it might be best to go with Samnuha/Anchorite as a generalized set

This is with Fighter/Samurai/Rogue, I'll play around with/without rolls and update results as I look.

No rolls:

(Godhands)
Samnuha/Anchorite +3 (3490)>Samnuha/Herc TA4 (3435)>Samnuha/Anchorite +1 (3407)>Bhikku +1/Anchorite +1 (3402)>Samnuha Herc TA2 (3394)

(Verethragna)
Bhikku +1/Anchorite +3 (3652)>Samnuha/Anchorite +3 (3629)>Samnuha/Herc TA4 (3571)>Samnuha/Anchorite +1 (3537)>Samnuha Herc TA2(3534)

Chaos/Sam

(Godhands)
Samnuha/Anchorite +3 (3964)>Samnuha/Anchorite +3 (3963)>Samnuha/Herc TA4 (3890)>Bhikku +1/Anchorite +1 (3870)>Samnuha/Anchorite +1 (3866)>Samnuha/Herc TA2 (3854)
[+]
By pchan 2017-07-11 03:21:42
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Robthunder said: »
I always thought Bhikku legs+1 and Anchorite+3 feet were, for the most part, the best combo for legs+feet unless you needed like absolute max accuracy or something? I understand that's not what's on the front page but still.

This is correct.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-11 07:00:17
Link | Citer | R

This is correct.

Still nope. Well, I guess I should clarify, it depends on what weapon you are using. You probably use Ver, but I use Godhands.

At least you're on the same page with the rest of us that most of SU3 is not ideal.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2017-07-11 08:14:36
Link | Citer | R

It is the best for Godhands too.
By Felgarr 2017-07-11 08:39:25
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
It is the best for Godhands too.

I'm having trouble following what assertions are agreed upon here and where the discrepancy / disagreement is.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-11 09:31:28
Link | Citer | R

I just played around with the spreadsheet, capped conditions I had

(Godhands)
Samnuha Cap/Anchorite +3>Bhikku +1/Anchorite +3 (4109)>Samnuha Cap/Herc TA+4 (4087)>Samnuha Cap/Herc TA +2 (4050)>Bhikku +1/Anchorite +1 (4023)

(Verethragna)
Bhikku +1/Anchorite +3 (4295)>Samnuha Cap/Anchorite +3 (4281)>Samnuha Cap/Herc TA+4 (4219)>Bhikku +1/Anchorite +1 (4186)>Samnuha Cap/Herc TA +2 (4183)

so actually it might be best to go with Samnuha/Anchorite as a generalized set

Agreed, I'm not seeing Bhikku +1 as best for both.
By pchan 2017-07-11 09:49:41
Link | Citer | R

This is correct.

Still nope. Well, I guess I should clarify, it depends on what weapon you are using. You probably use Ver, but I use Godhands.

At least you're on the same page with the rest of us that most of SU3 is not ideal.

Godhands sux. And no I use spharai.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 127 128 129 ... 363 364 365