Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
First Page 2 3 ... 257 258 259 ... 262 263 264
By Hopalong 2023-08-18 21:13:53
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Wasn't there some arrebati strats using basically anyone who could use tp bonus weapons and pulse bow to fire off 3k empyreal arrows to do damage without being in danger?

There certainly is a post about that. It inspired me to level up blacksmithing on another char and I already had clothcraft etc to make beryllium arrows. I have something like 1000 of those arrows and precast ranged and midcast ranged ready for whenever someone wants me thief ranged on Arebati. Has it happened yet, nah. Stil pretty cool though.

Quote:
Any good place to farm the new job mastery thing as THF?

Colibri camp seems best for you. I asked about higher level camps for sam and real players so as to have some fun and pass the time in general discussion but didn't get a good answer. Getting Master level 20 is easy and 30 is obtainable with work. Anything past that doesn't matter especcially on thief unless you want to min max thief to the very end. The ML system is broken and you have to cheat to get past 30 or have been lucky enough to have Pld aoe farmed CN before they *** nerfed it.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2023-08-18 21:15:46
Link | Citer | R

Hopalong said: »
Anything past that doesn't matter especcially on thief unless you want to min max thief to the very end.

I understand not everyone knows me but...yes.

But I'll get the rest of it just playing, only need to get things started, really, so I'll take your advice there, thanks.
By Hopalong 2023-08-18 21:19:54
Link | Citer | R

Check out breakpoints for the sj master level stuff. As Thief, a big breakpoint is chocobo jig which is great. Also, hmm, /drg weapon skill damage + is easyish to get and big time.
By Hopalong 2023-08-18 21:21:47
Link | Citer | R

Do you remember that thief during sky days that went thf/drk and posted big numbers? Cant remember his name, think it started with A.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2023-08-18 21:47:17
Link | Citer | R

Hopalong said: »
Do you remember that thief during sky days that went thf/drk and posted big numbers? Cant remember his name, think it started with A.

Archain, the god THF of 75 days.

And yeah, breakpoints for the mastery is what I need to look into and see what all extra perks come out. I've usually been THF/RUN and do a tank-ish type build (I was quintboxing before which didn't leave much room for a tank) and I made a path C Gandring to AOE pull/clear Omen floors. I don't necessarily want to pretend THF is the biggus dickus DD, but I do like the extra utility THF can bring to certain content and utilizing it. And at least last I played, there were very few DPS checks in the game, and most "DPS race" type fights were more about "don't let RNG *** you" and my setup may have had less true DPS than other jobs, I could do so with much higher evasion/magic evasion which could lessen the chances of said RNG. Like last I was playing, WAR and DRK were the faceroll DPS kings, but they have super low MEVA, so if the DRK didn't have proper gear/sets and press it, they could get hit by some bad debuffs and get wrecked, dropping their DPS to ***, but I'd avoid it all and keep going. And yeah, other jobs can do that too, like RUN (actually a large part of why RUN DD ever became a thing) but I like THF, so that's usually what I play.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-08-18 21:59:40
Link | Citer | R

Sakpata's armor has the exact same magic evasion has Malignance, better DT, higher MDB, and much stronger offensive stats, so THF doesn't really have any MEVA advantage over WAR or DRK in this day & age. In fact, WAR and DRK are a bit stronger in terms of resisting status ailments with the augments on Sakpata body.

THF evasion strats are still fun and quite useful for trash mobs, and you're right almost nothing in the game (other than Ody/Sortie) really have proper "DPS checks" so you can slow roll stuff if you want.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2023-08-18 22:05:10
Link | Citer | R

Yeah I was basically done with the game when Sakpata was coming out, but I imagine they don't full time Sakpata so they're at bigger risk during WS swaps and the sort, probably. And if I were to keep /RUN that comes with 9% status resist and magic defense bonus traits and the runes, so I bet I'd still be a little more resistant. I think I was messing around with trying other subs for things and the new increased level cap thing is for sure gonna force a revisiting of those options, though I've always liked /RUN for its versatility in either a defensive option for DDing, or full blown tanking content.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-08-18 23:14:37
Link | Citer | R

I don't want this to come across the wrong way, so please don't take this as trying to discourage you or anything, just trying to enlighten.

Most jobs WS in Nyame gear, which has the same MEVA as malignance as well, so...WAR and DRK are extremely safe from debuffs, magic and physical damage in most of their sets. They might wear some JSE or Ambu armor with a little less MEVA in their squishy fodder sets, but if they're fighting something dangerous, they'll be very tanky in TP and WS sets.

It's all good though, sounds like you have a good thing going for yourself and you enjoy it so you do you. THF is still fine for most things, especially if you're running your own group around and not trying to get into elite endgame nonsense.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2023-08-19 00:58:47
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, not worried about that.

Also noticed we can THF/RUN and USE FOIL NOW!? So in theory I can AE and then foil to keep hate, assuming the foil goes off? Holy ***.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
By SimonSes 2023-08-19 03:10:22
Link | Citer | R

kuroki said: »
thf is certainly usable in several gaol fights that require piercing, even if they aren't the optimal job. segments you can naegling it up when required vs. piercing resistant mobs so that isn't a huge issue either, but 5 boxing segments would be very difficult imo.

for sortie the big weakness is lack of a strong light closer until ruthless stroke. there are some fights where you can't use distortion/darkness. otherwise they can dd fine, tanking might be a problem for B/F boss.

I think it's the reverse. You would use dagger on slashing resistance mobs on segments and Naegling savage would be your primary mode.

I kinda agree about Ruthless in Sortie, but it's mainly a weakness of DNC not THF. Geared THF can use R15 mythic and be fine, especially that Mandali Stab will let you use all the PDL from Aria and new gear, because it has 75% attack bonus.

Tanking F also shouldn't be a problem, because you can perfect dodge and it's physical hits and counters, that are the most dangerous from that boss.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2023-08-19 05:37:40
Link | Citer | R

kuroki said: »
for sortie the big weakness is lack of a strong light closer until ruthless stroke.
Wut?

Now don't get me wrong, far from me to advocate bringing THF to a Sortie melee pt, but THF does have Light closers?
You have Shark Bite (Frag) which clearly isn't the best but, I mean, it's not a shitty WS either, it's not Exenterator yo!

And if you have Vajyra you can close with Mandalic Stab (Fusion). With R15 Vajra Mandalic Stab is pretty close to Rudra's Storm in terms of WS power, and can close some pretty nice Lights.
By Pantafernando 2023-08-19 08:07:31
Link | Citer | R

Also have Savage Blade
By SimonSes 2023-08-19 08:59:38
Link | Citer | R

I think he didn't actually meant Light closer in the context of actually trying to close light. He was just talking about safe WS to use on A/E bosses.

Asura.Sechs said: »
Shark Bite (Frag)

It's very shitty in comparison to anything that we use now. R15 Mandalic is fine thought.

Pantafernando said: »
Also have Savage Blade

If COR and BRD will use it too, you can start walling your damage, but usually only by 25%, which is still far more damage than Shark Bite, so it's Ruthless > R15 Mandalic > Savage > Shark.

Post deleted by User.
By Hopalong 2023-08-19 21:57:19
Link | Citer | R

Archain, yeah his posts were legendary. Worthwhile reading again.

Yep Thief is a fine DD, especially taking it seriously like we are talking about. I've had twashtar for years and it has been a constant help, Twahstar and Thief are made for each other same as Masa and Sam. I also have the evasion Gandring and it complements the job nicely.

The thing is, you have to choose maybe one job to take to 50 master level, and despite thief being my first job along with red mage on the road to 75 (who remembers thf/mnk dunes/kazam etc) I chose Sam to take up.

There's positives on both when considering master levels and /run foil is a worthwhile holy grail. I took Pld to 42 then they nerfed crawlers nest so I abandoned Pld for the vision of Sam/run foil and general play. Thief/run with foil I'm sure can do great things.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2023-08-20 14:50:27
Link | Citer | R

Yeah I think my current plan is to work on buffs to my AE set. And so much of it looks old, I know there are some fat upgrades to be had elsewhere. Obviously Nyame, but WSD caps at 50% IIRC, so I don't need that full set with the Ambu cape. I probably need to find some fat +INT accessories, if any such things exist for THF.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2023-08-20 15:07:30
Link | Citer | R

Yeah I went and looked for a set and am quite disappointed to see that the set seems to be basically my current set plus nyame. Was really hoping some better rings/earrings/ammo existed.
By SimonSes 2023-08-20 15:14:34
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
Obviously Nyame, but WSD caps at 50% IIRC

No idea where you got that info, but it's 100% inaccurate. There is no known cap afaik. I guess it could be worth checking if the +100% is not the cap, but +50% isn't for sure.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2023-08-20 15:26:11
Link | Citer | R

SimonSes said: »

No idea where you got that info, but it's 100% inaccurate. There is no known cap afaik. I guess it could be worth checking if the +100% is not the cap, but +50% isn't for sure.

Ah, good to know. I dunno where I had that in my head, but it's been forever so probably just assuming it caps like most other stats similar-ish to it.
user: Raytheon
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2023-08-20 15:35:05
Link | Citer | R

Ah, good to know. I dunno where I had that in my head, but it's been forever so probably just assuming it caps like most other stats similar-ish to it.

Maybe you were thinking of Skillchain bonus, which caps at 50%?
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2023-08-20 15:44:15
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Clintbeastwood said: »

Maybe you were thinking of Skillchain bonus, which caps at 50%?

Entirely possible I just pulled it from my ***. It's been 2.5 years and not sure we really had enough WSD to test it before Nyame was there so it was probably a theoretical cap I thought was an actual cap after all this time.

So if I were to go in to fight Bumba as myself, probably on THF with just a GEO alt and trusts, what V level range seems possible to do? Did it at v0 yesterday for giggles, and it was stupid easy, so I'm hoping v10ish would be possible dualbox, depending on how well I play and some RNG? Trying to decide between doing a bit of that grind, or mercing that ***and maybe just doing some t3 RP grinds on my own like that.

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Iocus
Serveur: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2023-08-21 07:56:32
Link | Citer | R

Super Rando stuff, but with MLs you can THF/DRG and Accomplice + Super Jump to get rid of most of another character's hate and all of your own. I definitely got the gist of possible 5 boxing so it probably isn't ideal with what I assume you're doing, but it might be useful tool depending on what kind of other jobs you run.

Good for keeping your trust tank relevant for longer.
 Asura.Melliny
user: melphina
By Asura.Melliny 2023-08-21 08:08:05
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Super Rando stuff, but with MLs you can THF/DRG and Accomplice + Super Jump

Collaborator and super jump. Never use accomplice in this day and age. Skulker's bonnet +3 adds an additional 21% enmity stolen on top of the base amount to each ability, so you can steal 46% enmity with collaborator once every minute, or 71% every 5 minutes. They share a cooldown and collaborator is so efficient now that I can't think of an instance where you'd need to use accomplice.

It's a useful trick if you're thief fighting some wave 3 dynamis mobs. We used to have a dark knight in my dyna shell that would do some absurd damage so I'd frequently use that trick to keep him from getting killed as often. Although maintaining full hybrids is more important nowadays for any dd. If everyone stays in Malignance, sakpata's, and nyame wave 3 becomes pretty easy. Throw on an extra minnie for good measure if needed and your dd's should be fine even if they do pull hate.
[+]
 Asura.Melliny
user: melphina
By Asura.Melliny 2023-08-21 08:13:05
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
only new accessories other than TVR mission rewards that i know of are sortie earrings, and thf made out like bandits with skulker's earring +2. you can enjoy chasing forever!

+2 earrings don't exist. Just get a +1 and be happy with it. Even skulker's +1 is fantastic and I'm more than happy with mine. I've run sortie regularly for a full year now and I only have a single +2. It has minimum augments but it's a warrior +2 so I'm still very happy to use it, but to put things in perspective I STILL don't have a ranger +1. The randomness of sortie earrings is so extreme that a full year later I've seen dozens of some +1's while there are a couple +1's I haven't gotten any of yet. Only those blessed by the gods get +2 ears on jobs they want. Use your +1 and like it. It's still amazing.
[+]
 Shiva.Cerderic
Serveur: Shiva
user: Cerderic
By Shiva.Cerderic 2023-08-29 09:43:25
Link | Citer | R

Not necessarily a THF question but I couldn't find a clear answer. Do I need to equip Warder's Charm +1 on the closing weaponskill to get the skillchain bonus? Would be nice to only use it on exenterator when setting up radiance etc. but I'm guessing it has to be worn on the WS you actually want the skillchain damage bonus? Similarly, if I am only ever opening skillchains, is it fair to say Warder's Charm +1 has no place in my WS sets?
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-08-29 09:45:11
Link | Citer | R

On the weaponskill that closes the skillchain, yes.

It has no use in an opening weaponskill, yes.
First Page 2 3 ... 257 258 259 ... 262 263 264