Forum » FFXI » General » Raising a Chocobo
Raising a Chocobo
 Hades.Rieyuu
Serveur: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: Rieyuu
By Hades.Rieyuu 2009-06-16 17:12:11
Link | Citer | R

So eventually when the 360 servers are back and working -.- I was going to start raising a chocobo...and I wanted a black one is there anything in particular I have to do to get a black one or are the colours random when you raise them?
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-06-16 17:14:41
Link | Citer | R

Read the uber long thing on wiki!
I skimmed that ***and I instantly said "Screw chocobos."
Serveur: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-16 17:16:21
Link | Citer | R

Haseyo said:
Read the uber long thing on wiki!
I skimmed that ***and I instantly said "Screw chocobos."

LOL same here. Although I did have some confirmation when a friend ***out his chocobo one day for giggles and the thing was so broken and slow LMAO.
 Gilgamesh.Docleo
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: docleo
By Gilgamesh.Docleo 2009-06-16 17:19:09
Link | Citer | R

The resume of all the color things:
Eggs obtained from NPC y jeuno has very little chances to be color. Eggs obtained by ISNM have about 25%-50% chances to be color, which is random. The best way to have a black choco is buying a chococard from someone that already have the black chocobo, preferably both fathers should be black to have the highest chances. Check the bazaars from people in jeuno and WG, normally the ones that do that for a living have mules names like chocobobabe (in my server there's one) or something like that, and good luck with your choco :)
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-06-16 17:21:28
Link | Citer | R

I got a black choco by luck from an egg, but I was a bad choco raiser, he ran away.

I should do that and raise a choco again.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-06-16 17:25:05
Link | Citer | R

Alyria said:
I got a black choco by luck from an egg, but I was a bad choco raiser, he ran away.

I should do that and raise a choco again.

I bet you were wearing Opaline gear and it thought you were KKK material.
 Hades.Rieyuu
By Hades.Rieyuu 2009-06-16 17:25:27
Link | Citer | R

Docleo said:
The resume of all the color things:
Eggs obtained from NPC y jeuno has very little chances to be color. Eggs obtained by ISNM have about 25%-50% chances to be color, which is random. The best way to have a black choco is buying a chococard from someone that already have the black chocobo, preferably both fathers should be black to have the highest chances. Check the bazaars from people in jeuno and WG, normally the ones that do that for a living have mules names like chocobobabe (in my server there's one) or something like that, and good luck with your choco :)

^ sounds like a sperm bank =x
well my friend was raising his and it turned green....I'd like black or red, mostly black though, but yeah I guess I'm gonna have to look it up where to start, get the egg from and such. Also, is the only way to get the colorcard chococard thing by ppl in the game?
 Bahamut.Citag
Serveur: Bahamut
user:
By Bahamut.Citag 2009-06-16 17:31:04
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

All I hear are horror stories from people raising chocos. Good luck on your quest with yours!
 Hades.Rieyuu
By Hades.Rieyuu 2009-06-16 17:38:31
Link | Citer | R

okay so I read the artical on wiki...95% of I don't have the slightest friggen clue what it's about....umm when would I use the chococard does anyone know?
 Gilgamesh.Docleo
By Gilgamesh.Docleo 2009-06-16 18:29:15
Link | Citer | R

After you have the 2 chococards from people, get them both and trade it to Finbarr in Upper Jeuno (little hume boy near the chocobo stables) trade him the 2 chococards and give the gil he wants, he will ask what kind of date you want for the chocobos, mostly check the status of the parents (from the person you buy the chococard), and decide who you want to get the abilities from (read the options carefully :P), you will get the egg resulting from that date, and most probably will be colored (if both parents were black) and sometimes they can born with an ability of them. Just treat your chocobo like a puppy and take care of him. Good luck.
 Hades.Rieyuu
By Hades.Rieyuu 2009-06-16 18:36:28
Link | Citer | R

Docleo said:
After you have the 2 chococards from people, get them both and trade it to Finbarr in Upper Jeuno (little hume boy near the chocobo stables) trade him the 2 chococards and give the gil you want, he will ask what kind of date you want for the chocobos, mostly check the status of the parents (from the person you buy the chococard), and decide who you want to get the abilities from (read the options carefully :P), you will get the egg resulting from that date, and most probably will be colored (if both parents were black) and sometimes they can born with an ability of them. Just treat your chocobo like a puppy and take care of him. Good luck.

so I have to buy to black chococards from a person ?? I hardly ever see black and the times I have theyre about 100k each =/
 Gilgamesh.Docleo
By Gilgamesh.Docleo 2009-06-16 19:14:29
Link | Citer | R

Hmm, well, you can try the way i did with my blue choco, i got a chococard from someone who had blue female choco, and used my very first breeded chocobo as male (was yellow, everyone with yellow might give you a chococard for free), used the breeding plan that inherits the characteristics of the female, and luckily i got the blue one, but cant really make sure if you will get the same, but, if you dont want to spend much gil on it could be a good way.
 Odin.Blazza
Serveur: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-16 19:43:07
Link | Citer | R

Docleo said:
preferably both fathers should be black

Nuthing suss!

Unless you are going to buy other peoples chocobo cards and breed them (highest chance of getting a black chocobo) you'll really want an egg from an ISNM as they have a much higher chance of being black. When you start breeding your chocobo, it will be an egg for a few days, before the egg hatches, you should "watch over it" at least 100 times. There is no limit to how many times you can do this as an egg, and it will cap it's affection for you, if you wait until it hatches, you can only do it a certain amount of times per RL day.

The main theory about what colour a chocobo will turn out to be is that it is based on it's dominant stat when it changes from a chick to an adolescent.

black = STR
red = END
blue = Discernment
green = Receptivity

black and red could be the other way around as could blue and green, I'm just going from memory. Basically, you want to pump up your chocobos STR as much as you can while it's a chick, but you have very limited options to do this. You have two options of care plans at this point, "walk around town" and "listen to music", you should choose "walk around town" every day. Also, when watching over your chocobo you should pretty much do nothing aside from "take a walk (short)" (which may be the only option anyway). If your chocobo finds something, feel free to watch over it to collect the (crap) item.

You will also need to consider your food options. You'll have to look up the stats on the three different carrots, and see which one raises STR the most (I think it's vomp?) Make sure you don't over-feed your chocobo or you'll make it sick and lower it's affection, as well as decreasing the effectiveness of all your hard work. Carrots also lower affection, so work out which greens it likes best (feed them one at a time, it will "gobble them down in a single gulp" if it's his favourite) and put that sort of greens into it's feeding schedule. If it's not overfeeding them, 2 carrots and 1 green every day is a good mix, otherwise it might have to be 2 carrots one day, 1 carrot and 2 greens the next day, or something like that.

This should get you a pretty good chance of having a black chocobo, however I'm sure you want it to be faster right? This means you'll have to have capped STR and END, which is fine, just keep up the same process as you've been doing and it will cap out STR and END. But do you also want it to learn abilities? Not so easy...

To get an uber choco with 2 good abilities, you're pretty much screwed with a first generation chocobo. If you can use breeding cards to help get the right colour and have an ability at birth you're in a much better position. Learning abilities not only requires you to first learn the appropriate story, but your chocobo will also have to have it's discernment at a certain level. This means that you'll have to raise it's STR/END to make it black, then raise it's DIS to get it to learn the story as fast as possible, then get back to raising it's STR/END as fast as you can to cap it out before it's stats stop increasing.

Then of course, there's the fact that the ultimate racing chocobo has capped STR, nearly capped END and also quite high END, with gallop and canter, which takes a LOT more planning and work.

Good luck :D
 Hades.Rieyuu
By Hades.Rieyuu 2009-06-16 19:54:31
Link | Citer | R

Blazza said:
Docleo said:
preferably both fathers should be black

Nuthing suss!

Unless you are going to buy other peoples chocobo cards and breed them (highest chance of getting a black chocobo) you'll really want an egg from an ISNM as they have a much higher chance of being black. When you start breeding your chocobo, it will be an egg for a few days, before the egg hatches, you should "watch over it" at least 100 times. There is no limit to how many times you can do this as an egg, and it will cap it's affection for you, if you wait until it hatches, you can only do it a certain amount of times per RL day.

The main theory about what colour a chocobo will turn out to be is that it is based on it's dominant stat when it changes from a chick to an adolescent.

black = STR
red = END
blue = Discernment
green = Receptivity

black and red could be the other way around as could blue and green, I'm just going from memory. Basically, you want to pump up your chocobos STR as much as you can while it's a chick, but you have very limited options to do this. You have two options of care plans at this point, "walk around town" and "listen to music", you should choose "walk around town" every day. Also, when watching over your chocobo you should pretty much do nothing aside from "take a walk (short)" (which may be the only option anyway). If your chocobo finds something, feel free to watch over it to collect the (crap) item.

You will also need to consider your food options. You'll have to look up the stats on the three different carrots, and see which one raises STR the most (I think it's vomp?) Make sure you don't over-feed your chocobo or you'll make it sick and lower it's affection, as well as decreasing the effectiveness of all your hard work. Carrots also lower affection, so work out which greens it likes best (feed them one at a time, it will "gobble them down in a single gulp" if it's his favourite) and put that sort of greens into it's feeding schedule. If it's not overfeeding them, 2 carrots and 1 green every day is a good mix, otherwise it might have to be 2 carrots one day, 1 carrot and 2 greens the next day, or something like that.

This should get you a pretty good chance of having a black chocobo, however I'm sure you want it to be faster right? This means you'll have to have capped STR and END, which is fine, just keep up the same process as you've been doing and it will cap out STR and END. But do you also want it to learn abilities? Not so easy...

To get an uber choco with 2 good abilities, you're pretty much screwed with a first generation chocobo. If you can use breeding cards to help get the right colour and have an ability at birth you're in a much better position. Learning abilities not only requires you to first learn the appropriate story, but your chocobo will also have to have it's discernment at a certain level. This means that you'll have to raise it's STR/END to make it black, then raise it's DIS to get it to learn the story as fast as possible, then get back to raising it's STR/END as fast as you can to cap it out before it's stats stop increasing.

Then of course, there's the fact that the ultimate racing chocobo has capped STR, nearly capped END and also quite high END, with gallop and canter, which takes a LOT more planning and work.

Good luck :D

well I don't really want a racing chocobo I just want a sweet looking black one, but when I can get back on I'll give this a whirl...and I'm not entirely sure what a isnm is ; ; or know if I can do any at 72
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-16 20:03:46
Link | Citer | R

ISNM is just like a BCNM, except you use Imperial Standing instead of Beastmen Seals. There are 60 cap ISNM's, but the 75cap one is pretty easy, as long as you have a brd and blm the other jobs don't matter much.

If you don't care about racing and just want black, then abilities don't really matter, so just concentrate on looking after it EVERY DAY for like, 2 months or however long it is, keeping it's affection high by using enough greens in with your carrots and using the right care plans. You'll need to breed (buy other peoples cards) or get an ISNM egg, buying one from Jeuno really isn't an option, and even the one you get from the quest I don't think has a great chance of being coloured.
 Hades.Rieyuu
By Hades.Rieyuu 2009-06-16 20:14:41
Link | Citer | R

Blazza said:
ISNM is just like a BCNM, except you use Imperial Standing instead of Beastmen Seals. There are 60 cap ISNM's, but the 75cap one is pretty easy, as long as you have a brd and blm the other jobs don't matter much.

If you don't care about racing and just want black, then abilities don't really matter, so just concentrate on looking after it EVERY DAY for like, 2 months or however long it is, keeping it's affection high by using enough greens in with your carrots and using the right care plans. You'll need to breed (buy other peoples cards) or get an ISNM egg, buying one from Jeuno really isn't an option, and even the one you get from the quest I don't think has a great chance of being coloured.

so can I just buy one black chococard and raise a chocobo?
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-16 20:25:38
Link | Citer | R

You'll want to buy a black male and female card to be sure, if they both have good stats and job traits even better, but mainly just make sure they're black. You CAN do it with just one parent black if you choose the right dating plan, but they really shouldn't be THAT expensive, check a lot of bazaars around each nations stables, as well around upper jeuno stables and wherever your servers bazaar central is. You could also try asking LS friends and such, really shouldn't cost you that much.
 Hades.Rieyuu
By Hades.Rieyuu 2009-06-16 20:36:05
Link | Citer | R

Blazza said:
You'll want to buy a black male and female card to be sure, if they both have good stats and job traits even better, but mainly just make sure they're black. You CAN do it with just one parent black if you choose the right dating plan, but they really shouldn't be THAT expensive, check a lot of bazaars around each nations stables, as well around upper jeuno stables and wherever your servers bazaar central is. You could also try asking LS friends and such, really shouldn't cost you that much.

Alrighty ^^ I'll look around...and sadly the black ones are rather expensive on hades =/ or atleast the few that I've seen
 Gilgamesh.Docleo
By Gilgamesh.Docleo 2009-06-16 20:58:00
Link | Citer | R

Well, here is my recomendation (i did this with my second chocobo red one). Whenever i saw somebody with a chocobo the color i wanted, i asked him is could sell me a card from his/her chocobo, when you ask people not breeding color chocobo specially to sell cards, they sell it to you for a reasonable ammount, and even so you can be honest and tell that people you dont have so much gil, try to be fair too, since they gonna take the time to get the card for you :). Well, i hope you get the chocobo you want. /cheer
 Sylph.Jax
Serveur: Sylph
user: MissJax
By Sylph.Jax 2009-06-16 21:06:09
Link | Citer | R

There was a rumor that raising a choco in bastok will give you a higher chance for a black one. and well, i've had 3 black chocos and i raise mine in bastok. but yeah, to increase your chance, find someone with M black and F black and breed them.
 Hades.Rieyuu
By Hades.Rieyuu 2009-06-16 21:16:17
Link | Citer | R

thank you all very very much for the help, now I just gotta see someone with a black chocobo again ^^