The Parthenon: A Warrior's Kyklos
First Page 2 3 ... 226 227 228 229
 Shiva.Myamoto
Serveur: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Myamoto
By Shiva.Myamoto 2024-07-26 11:31:59
Link | Citer | R

Sakpata is superior defensively speaking at r0, but other than that there are some better alternatives for various sets.

As mentioned above, the guide is relatively up to date and although some sets are preference down the line, it's a great place to start building from.
[+]
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Timepassesbye 2024-07-26 12:06:37
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Tarwoe said: »
Could anyone give some insight into what I should focus on with my current item sets? I used to play way back in the 75 era in the early 2000's. Recently came back last year, got heavy into it for 6 months with a really great group that, admittedly, spoiled me some. Had to take a break and came back and that LS had broken up. I'm going more through the proper ways of progressing but yesterday the LS I'm in got to wave 3 of Bastok-D and I was whiffing like mad. I've tried getting a good idea of the basics from stuff like the WTF Vana'diel podcast and stuff, but I'm still having some trouble gaining my footing for a fairly basic, decent TP set to get into stuff like Odyssey and Sortie (mainly because I want all of WAR's AF1/2/3 +3 sets. Based on the guy who ran me up to Kalunga after I stealthed through the Sheols, he said Sakpata was much better than basically anything I could have at the moment, event R0. What are some priority pieces I should be looking at for at least Odyssey C. For maybe getting up to R15 for Sakpata? If that helps. Anyways, thanks for any insight, I enjoy reading the discussions on here, even if I don't get why/how balancing all of these sets works. I've never posted here, but here is my gear set (if I shared it right)I in fact did not share the image of my item sets correctly like y'all do.

So, gear in this game has always been about progression, and the answer to your question is exactly that. I'd break gear into a few categories, ambuscade/escha gear, omen/dynamis D, HTB's, and sortie/oddy.

the ambu set for warrior isn't amazing, but it'll get your food in the door, and naegling will carry you for a very long time. you can take advantage of dark matter augments for escha gear if you have it, but I wouldn't spend too much time there as Oddy gear eclipses that almost immediately. There are some niche options still though. The capes you can make from ambu are the best you can get.

looking next at omen/dyna, there are some very solid options for accessories from omen, utu grip being a prominent one. As for AF, you don't "need" the whole set to be a functional warrior. The body, legs and feet should be your first priority, order being feet > legs > body. the feet are your TP piece, the same for legs and the body is your berserk/ws piece that will last you till you have nyami. The head and hands do add into the acc set bonus, but they offer very little otherwise for end game, so if you can skip getting those, you will save yourself a bit of time and money. As for relic; the head is your WS and warcry piece, probably your top priority, the Hands augments mighty strikes and gives a fencer trait, but that gets outclassed later by empy options, the feet are your berserk duration and tomahawk piece, but offers little else, the body is ok, but quickly gets outclasses, and the legs will become your Tp piece once you begin to overcap double attack. The neck is an amazing option that you should also grab.

Next is htb's, the odin and alexander fights should be your targets, the odin head and body offer solid DT as well as other stats, but severely lack haste, and the alex body is a great idle regen option as well as counter and subtle blow. they aren't required, but you may find use for them along the path to empy.

That brings us to the last category, empy and oddy. The empy set has the highest acc of any set, and if acc is an issue, that's the set for you. Each piece also augments some JA so they are all absolutely worth getting, just focus on getting the full set to +2 before shooting for a +3 unless you have enough muffins to accommodate. Oddy gear has some amazing options that you shouldn't leave home without, getting the coiste bodhar is a must, and schere earring is great as well. the sakpata and nyami sets will resolve all your DT problems while still giving you modest multi attack (on the sakpata). when I get home later, I'll try to post my Tp set for reference, but it's focused on maintaining 100% DA, high store TP and double attack damage with a moderate amount of DT. I do also have a full DT set which loses some DA to give me 50 DT
By Dodik 2024-07-26 12:11:02
Link | Citer | R

Shouldn't be bothering with ambu gear and progressions, IMO.

If you have friends/LS to help get you sakpata r0, use that until empy +2/+3 and augments on the sakpata. Naegling and go.

War is the easiest job to gear from scratch.

Work up to augmented nyame from that starting point.
[+]
By Sylph.Timepassesbye 2024-07-26 12:22:51
Link | Citer | R

I think that’s a problem, this mindset that you can just leech the best gear right out of the gate. Sure, if someone is willing to help you, that’s another story, but I’ve seen an influx of returning players or new players being very demanding about people getting them oddy clears or getting into sortie groups, then they contribute nothing because they are wearing level 75 gear. I’m not suggesting they take years to get every piece of progression gear, but getting the basics won’t hurt them.
 Asura.Eiryl
Serveur: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-07-26 12:32:43
Link | Citer | R

The faster you gear them up the more use you can extract before you burn them out.

Only going to stick around 6 months, spend 1 day and steal 179, or spend 180 and get nothing.

(Some of that sentiment may be to hard to grasp, you ask of what value is another minimal geared war, failing to see they're indebted and obligated to feel the need to pay that back by being your whm or your brd etc)

It's disingenuous to say anyone is going to learn how better to spam control 1 by doing delve, then getting and augmenting reisenjima gear and sky gear, then grinding sortie for 2 months. Just let them jump to the end and maximize the time they'll be here. They aren't gonna be the next avesta, they're gonna faceroll savageblades for a couple weeks and disappear.
[+]
By Sylph.Timepassesbye 2024-07-26 13:06:52
Link | Citer | R

If I 'm understanding you correctly, it's my responsibility as a veteran player to gear them up, but also my fault when they burn out?

I understand the sentiment, I just fundamentally disagree with it.
Maybe it's because I 've lead too many end game events and been burned by players who just use you to get clears then disappear, but why should I or any other existing player feel indebted to use our resources to help people who demand out time with absolutely no gratitude? Why is catering to entitlement the answer?

When a player asks for help doing a mission and they are informed about wiki, and they reply, "yeah, but I don't wanna waste my time reading, why can't you just come out and show me," I take issue with that kind of entitlement and expectation.
By Kaffy 2024-07-26 13:07:34
Link | Citer | R

Could anyone give some insight into what I should focus on with my current item sets? I used to play way back in the 75 era in the early 2000's. Recently came back last year, got heavy into it for 6 months with a really great group that, admittedly, spoiled me some. Had to take a break and came back and that LS had broken up. I'm going more through the proper ways of progressing but yesterday the LS I'm in got to wave 3 of Bastok-D and I was whiffing like mad. I've tried getting a good idea of the basics from stuff like the WTF Vana'diel podcast and stuff, but I'm still having some trouble gaining my footing for a fairly basic, decent TP set to get into stuff like Odyssey and Sortie (mainly because I want all of WAR's AF1/2/3 +3 sets. Based on the guy who ran me up to Kalunga after I stealthed through the Sheols, he said Sakpata was much better than basically anything I could have at the moment, event R0. What are some priority pieces I should be looking at for at least Odyssey C. For maybe getting up to R15 for Sakpata? If that helps. Anyways, thanks for any insight, I enjoy reading the discussions on here, even if I don't get why/how balancing all of these sets works. I've never posted here, but here is my gear set (if I shared it right)I in fact did not share the image of my item sets correctly like y'all do.

Your gear looks absolutely fine for segments, wave 3 dynamis can be challenging accuracy-wise for many jobs without help. Did your group have a rdm for distract 3? Was the bard singing a madrigal after wave 2? Those 2 things should solve 90% of your problems.
[+]
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2024-07-26 13:08:21
Link | Citer | R

I've never posted here, but here is my gear set (if I shared it right)I in fact did not share the image of my item sets correctly like y'all do.

Wave 3 has a fairly decent jump in required accuracy (1600+ instead of 1300/1400ish for wave 1/2 I think?). To a fair point, it's not something you can just offset with a set toggle, it's going to be a team effort with changing up buffs, greater focus on enfeebles, that sort of thing. Might also mean swapping food, depending on what you were using.

Additionally, keep in mind that there's a decent chunk of combat skill and DEX from merits/Master Levels, and of course Job Point gift bonuses, that'll combine into a significant bit of accuracy that - if you are not yet at that point- might mean you need to swap in ACC gear/food/buffs where others may not need to.

Most of your accessory slots have potential to be swapped out for better accuracy items I'd say.
[+]
VIP
By Lili 2024-07-26 14:00:44
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Timepassesbye said: »

It's the capitalistic mindset: invest minimally, maximize immediate return, minimize immediate risk. Medium and long term planning do not matter at all. Neither does humanity.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2024-07-26 15:53:58
Link | Citer | R

Lili said: »

It's the capitalistic mindset: invest minimally, maximize immediate return, minimize immediate risk. Medium and long term planning do not matter at all. Neither does humanity.

This is a gross mischaracterization of what a capitalistic mindset is imo. That is more profiteering.

Capitalists absolutely look at perpetuating returns, not realizing only immediate returns.
[+]
By Dodik 2024-07-26 16:49:25
Link | Citer | R

Idk what help upgrading ambu or farming odin gear is going to do to them since they already have sakpata r0. I'm saying you can ride that instead of wasting time upgrading or farming gear that isn't all that useful.
By Hopalong 2024-07-26 21:25:40
Link | Citer | R

Quote:

Capitalists absolutely look at perpetuating returns, not realizing only immediate returns.

Fantastic descriptions of certain core capitalism methods.

Here's another way how that works out in practise.

Say I was a chef. I can choose to browbeat and whip my team into quickest results or I can take a very long road of building the strength and positivity of my team so that they can handle those intense workloads without negativity from me. Results can take longer than the investment of time you put into that person because it takes six months or more and then of course they quit after eight. It comes down to personal business ethics and what helps you sleep better at night. The larger the company the more divorced they are from personal business ethics and the more insulated each person is from the fallout.
 Phoenix.Iocus
Serveur: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-07-27 14:19:21
Link | Citer | R

If people will help you get sakpatas, get it as soon as possible. Get very comfortable in it. You will wear it almost always.

Everything else is a footnote except nyame
 Leviathan.Andret
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2024-07-27 22:50:07
Link | Citer | R

Lili said: »

Actually, no. Capitalistic mindset is you provide capital and let other people do the work. Like you hire a merc to grind for levels instead of you doing it yourself. Hence the word "capital" - essentially means assets, machines, stuff, money, human resources, anything except you doing the work.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2024-07-29 19:56:20
Link | Citer | R

Assuming neutral elemental/magic resistance, what's WAR's best damage magical WS?

Reason I ask is that I'm soon to embark on a just for the hell of it project of making a Farsha. More for the sake of building 4/4 BST REMA than for any other purpose, but as long as I'm working on that I started thinking about WAR applications too. Particularly considering the Empy associated WS bonus, feels like Cloudsplitter could be it?

Realistic competition is what... Sanguine Blade, Cataclysm, Freezebite, Shadow of Death? I have a hard time seeing Hot Shot/Flaming Arrow justifying a /RNG subjob.
 Shiva.Myamoto
By Shiva.Myamoto 2024-07-29 22:42:54
Link | Citer | R

All things equal and strictly magical. Cloudsplitter for sure.

Hybrid weapon skills are a different beast, they are silly strong with nyame augmented. You would be surprised at war with hot shot or flaming arrow.

This is also grossly sub optimal from a buff perspective, and very slightly from a gear perspective. No sash/storm spell for hachirin and utilizing 5 trusts as I am an actual solo character lol.
[+]
By K123 2024-07-30 06:51:55
Link | Citer | R

What weapon and ammo used?
 Shiva.Myamoto
By Shiva.Myamoto 2024-07-30 09:12:28
Link | Citer | R

Exalted xbow +1 and gashing bolt.
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2024-07-30 09:21:58
Link | Citer | R

K123 said: »
What weapon and ammo used?

Ullr/Beryllium Arrows can work well. However you really need a TP Bonus to hit those numbers.

I messed around quite a bit SAM/RNG.

While I was hitting nice flaming arrows. Jinou/Kagero was obviously better due to the skill difference and weapon sacrifices I made. However WAR lacks many hybrid WS

Tested with:
Unity TP Bonus GK (+500)
Tenzen's Bow (+1000 TP Bonus)
Moonshade Earrings (+250)

Also tested things out with Ullr/R15 Youchi.

From SAM thread

Job: SAM/DRG (WSDMG BONUS)
Target: Apex Bats
Buffs, R15 Masa, Hasso, R25 Nyame Path B (Sorry its all I have unlocked), Etc.. (Rings are Sroda/Ephra)

This next one is just for screwing around:
I don't see Hangaku-No-Yumi in the calc. I'm assuming it would be somewhere between Yoichi and Ullr. The Racc however is pitiful.

So:
Yoichi Flaming Arrow:
3000TP (Swapped Moonshade for Ishvara):60947
2750TP: 59590
2000TP: 49499
1000TP 26868

Ullr Flaming Arrow:
3000TP (Swapped Moonshade for Ishvara): 48982
2750TP:47878
2000TP:39770
1000TP:21588

Weapon Combos on WAR/RNG would ideally be.
R30 Ikenga Axe/Blurred Shield/Ullr/Beryllium Arrows

Fencers TP Bonus will work on Archery, Ikenga's axe will also work.

You still have the option to melee with axe, Mistral is also ranged up to 15 yalms.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2024-07-30 15:12:20
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Myamoto said: »
Hybrid weapon skills are a different beast, they are silly strong with nyame augmented. You would be surprised at war with hot shot or flaming arrow.

I'm not surprised at all that you can get solid numbers on a hybrid weapon skill (I'm a serious NIN SAM RNG so yeah, I know those are great stuff especially with Nyame), and Warcry/Berserk are significant additional help. However, WAR requiring the use of /RNG is a real buzzkill that surely hurts your overall DPS a lot in any situation where you could also melee for TP. Ranged hybrids are also unusable for WAR in Sheol Gaol, which could be a place you might consider a ranged approach (yeah, you could still go with Empyreal Arrow with Ullr if you just wanted ranged - but that's getting to a different topic than the original question of "what's WAR's best magical WS").

I haven't messed with it much, but Shadow of Death (I guess with Ambu scythe?) could be fun too. B+ skill on scythe and pretty good weapon rank, decent stat mods (40% STR/40% INT), damage varies with TP, fTP mods aren't amazing but aren't awful (1.0/4.17/8.6), and darkness element plays nice with Dyna/Sortie weather. I assume it prob won't stack up to Cloudsplitter with associated WS bonus from Farsha augments, but maybe if the choice of element is more relevant.
By Nariont 2024-07-30 15:16:25
Link | Citer | R

purely opinion but id imagine SoD would be best just due to the amount of bonus affinity compared to CS' 0, but maybe nyame helm finally overtook hairpin for dmg, havent kept up with that in awhile beyond that nyame helm has actual defensive stats on it which was enough of an appeal for it
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2024-07-30 15:56:34
Link | Citer | R

Pixie Hairpin +1 is pretty stupid good with 28% elemental affinity. Loss of defensive stats sure, but you're still looking at DT-31% and strong def/meva from 4/5 Nyame, then whatever else you have on a cape. Feels like that would generally be a worthwhile sacrifice to me.

Also purely speculating here, but I would also expect SoD is going to be a top contender. My hesitation is just due to the unique buff from Farsha augs to Cloudsplitter potentially having that particular weapon/WS combo pull ahead. I wouldn't expect Cloudsplitter to win if using another axe like Doli or whatever.

Too bad WAR can't equip Donar Gun for 15% lightning affinity (it does works on stuff other than ranged WS, such as NIN lightning ninjutsu)
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-07-30 16:34:56
Link | Citer | R

Best overall magic WS would be Cloudsplitter, especially if doing fencer or off handing a TP Bonus weapon.

Best would be something like Farsha/Ikenga's with Moonshade or possibly Ikenga's with TP Bonus. Cloudsplitter has no dSTAT and we don't worry about INT, just pure STR/MND and TP Bonus.

3.75 / 6.69921875 / 8.5

Maybe Fencer + Ikenga's but the TP gain speed is slower then /NIN. Hot Shot would be interesting since WAR can use Ikenga's + Fencer + /RNG for crazy tier TP Bonus.
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2024-07-30 18:08:06
Link | Citer | R

Nariont said: »
purely opinion but id imagine SoD would be best just due to the amount of bonus affinity compared to CS' 0, but maybe nyame helm finally overtook hairpin for dmg, havent kept up with that in awhile beyond that nyame helm has actual defensive stats on it which was enough of an appeal for it

SOD can be good. I was messing around on BST with it.

[+]
 Asura.Bronzequadav
user: Autocast
By Asura.Bronzequadav 2024-08-01 23:57:56
Link | Citer | R

AF+3 legs/feet see much use these days? gearing a war and deciding if worth it or something to skip.
 Asura.Aquatiq
user: Aquatiq
By Asura.Aquatiq 2024-08-02 00:24:51
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Skarwind said: »

What weap? Agwu Ambu, UNM scythe r15, other?
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-08-02 08:17:16
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Aquatiq said: »
Fenrir.Skarwind said: »

What weap? Agwu Ambu, UNM scythe r15, other?

It was UNM scythe.
By CrAZYVIC 2024-08-27 03:25:06
Link | Citer | R

I'm getting back into WAR after a long break, and I have a question regarding WAR and Savage Blade.

Before I left, the meta for Warriors was WAR/DRG at Master Level 20, using Naegling/Blurred Shield +1 with gear that had the Fencer bonus.

My question is this:

At Master Level 50, are the Naegling/TP-Bonus-1000 Axe and the Dolichenus/TP-Bonus-1000 Axe comparable to that Fencer build? I understand that Fencer +8 grants a 630 TP bonus, and with the Moonshade Earring, that would be an 880 TP bonus. But isn't the TP gain slower with this setup?

I know it's a hassle to make that TP-Bonus weapon, but for WAR, would it be worth making?
 Bismarck.Celerin
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Celerin
By Bismarck.Celerin 2024-08-27 06:25:34
Link | Citer | R

You also get tp 100 (and pdl) from empy legs, so that will put you at 980 with fencer builds.

Personally, I don't see the need to /nin anymore. Shield blocks usually give me more 0s to damage taken than having to remember to put up shadows. Also, I hate the swing speed of even having one axe when dual wielding, let alone two if you go that route for calamity/mistral with the 1ktp axe.

I have the axe, but it's more for bst than war.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 226 227 228 229