THF in todays FFXI
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Cerberus.Tikal
Serveur: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-12-07 15:15:17
Link | Citer | R

Although the sample size isn't exactly massive, the fact that the two have a nearly identical coin-ratio is telling.
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
Serveur: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2012-12-07 15:15:42
Link | Citer | R

@Burkey
You should know better by now, that Motenten doesn't judge by 1 parse/run only. =P
 Carbuncle.Burkey
user: Burkey
By Carbuncle.Burkey 2012-12-07 15:16:04
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
What's also sad is that people don't read anymore and just knee-jerk their way through life.

Which word was a big word, by the way?
never read my anatomy textboooks :/ just knee-jerked my way through pre-med and into medical school
 Phoenix.Suji
Serveur: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-12-07 15:17:38
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Burkey said: »
you are basing your facts off of one none-th gear run? lol. you should always net more with more th, the randomness of this game is extremely random, tho. sometimes on dnc/00 i get 5+ x4 drops in a row, then a whole slew of singles. when i solo thf i rarely get single drops. come back when you do more runs please and perhaps you'll change my mind
You're insulting the god of FFXI math nerds here! Don't be surprised if you spontaneously combust in the near future.

On a more serious note, don't offhand Thief's Knife in Dynamis.
 Sylph.Peldin
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Peldin 2012-12-07 15:19:32
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
I'm half-inclined to not worry about TH at all (except maybe on ranged pulls) just to avoid the extra blinking issues from gear swaps on steps/flourishes.
Blinkmenot

As for the whole gear = skill vs player = skill. C'mon let's be serious. FFXI requires jack ***for skill. Half of the "skill" in this game comes from choosing the right gear to use.

Anyway, as for thief, they are useful for:
1) Soloing dynamis effectively
2) Used as a subjob to get TH
3) Still used as a main job superstitiously to get TH because people think higher levels of TH will influence their drops.

@Motenten - if you're interested, I'd be happy to parse my drop rate on dynamis coins as DNC/THF for a few weeks and see what TH2 looks like. I farm those exact same camps.
 Carbuncle.Burkey
By Carbuncle.Burkey 2012-12-07 15:19:49
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Suji said: »
Fenrir.Motenten said: »
I'm half-inclined to not worry about TH at all (except maybe on ranged pulls) just to avoid the extra blinking issues from gear swaps on steps/flourishes.
Didn't Byrth show some tests that steps/flourishes don't apply TH for some reason? There's a thread on the official forum. I don't know if it was rebutted somehow though; don't want to spread misinformation.

Also..
If some believe thfs should main their th gear throughout an extensive fight they are rather uninformed; you do not need to do this.
You're out of the loop.
http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/113366-TH-procs
yes i certainly was, my thf skill has decreased 3 points
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-12-07 15:20:43
Link | Citer | R

I am always confused at what people think skill is, when they claim that FFXI requires no skill.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2012-12-07 15:21:57
Link | Citer | R

I set my spellcast to swap in TH gear in the precast phase and to swap in regular gear in the midcast phase of box step. I've yet to upgrade TH to 4 in any of my dyna runs unless a hit lands before step could go off.
By Blazed1979 2012-12-07 15:24:53
Link | Citer | R

And I'd have to disagree with that, based on the fact that you're simply regurgitating pseudo intellectual nonsense passed around as conventional wisdom.

Outliers do exist, but they are very few in numbers compared to the overall player base and you should not use them to make such a broad generalization.

These days, just looking at a player is enough to ball park how well they'd do on the parse or how well they perform their mage duties.
way to throw a bunch of unnecessarily big words into an elementary argument

i will agree with your last statement on occasion, but absolutely not always or mostly. i have seen perfectly geared wars with 90+ ukons try to proc a level one weakness on VW after a 5 stagger in which the thing would die in a few ukkos (amongst all the other ***) anyway. i have seen perfectly geared plds get killed WAY too fast because they decide that fanatics is worthless, or they dont know when to use them (morta plds). i have seen white mages with outstanding gear/gearswaps not cure for ***and let their entire party die. need i go on?

gear makes bigger numbers on paper, thats it. the skill of the player is not only 10% as you so claim it to be..that's hilarious you believe that.

also, your comment about 'good players 99 their weapons.' some people play this game to have fun. they are over appreciative and satisfied with a built empyrean weapon on a job they love that they dont desire anything passed that point. does not making it 99 make them a bad player? no. if they can beat the ***out of NMs and stay alive to get lootz, that's a-ok in my books. my best friends in this game are recently obtaining their 15/15 NNI gear, relics, 85/90 emps and other things. beforehand we were all a bunch of scrubs who enjoy each others company and play this game to have fun and not worry about uploading our pictures of leet damages on fodder mobs.

but anyway, this discussion has derailed so you win.

OP, any more questions feel free to ask

[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2012-12-07 15:25:35
Link | Citer | R

You're right, the game doesn't require skill.

However skill does make a huge difference in performance.

I never said that there is a causation relationship between gear and skill, but there's definitely a correlation. Anyone that does things with a diverse number of people knows that.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Burkey
By Carbuncle.Burkey 2012-12-07 15:42:24
Link | Citer | R

i did not mean to argue with you. let's be friends.

here is a cookie:

Lakshmi.Rearden
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Churchill
By Lakshmi.Rearden 2012-12-07 15:46:33
Link | Citer | R

The game isn't complicated enough for skill to truly matter.

That doesn't mean there aren't large gaps in performance between people, even equally geared people.

But, people who meet a particular threshold will perform about the same as any other person at that threshold, regardless of how far above it they may or may not be if the game allowed for such ability to manifest.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-12-07 15:53:46
Link | Citer | R

Sure, if the only thing you're looking at is a set of numbers that represent output, skill seems to matter very little. It's important to know how to be an efficient DD, but it's not representative of skill in FFXI on the whole. Again, people say skill matters little, but I'm curious what they actually quantify as "skill."
 Carbuncle.Burkey
By Carbuncle.Burkey 2012-12-07 15:59:47
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Sure, if the only thing you're looking at is a set of numbers that represent output, skill seems to matter very little. It's important to know how to be an efficient DD, but it's not representative of skill in FFXI on the whole. Again, people say skill matters little, but I'm curious what they actually quantify as "skill."
anything. weapon skilling when you can and not at randomly 250%, using job abilities as you should, curing and being a mage, being able to adapt to a variety scenarios..it's anything. personally i think "skill" is having a knowledge for the ins and outs of this game. not about to start debating again, but there are very well geared players who don't know how to play final fantasy.
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2012-12-07 16:28:43
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Peldin said: »
Quote:
Blinkmenot

I don't use it. I tried it for about a week a couple months ago (and it was nice to finally see skillchain damage again), but found it problematic for other reasons, so got rid of it.

@Motenten - if you're interested, I'd be happy to parse my drop rate on dynamis coins as DNC/THF for a few weeks and see what TH2 looks like. I farm those exact same camps.

That would be very interesting. I'd definitely like to see it.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2012-12-07 16:34:59
Link | Citer | R

Is that a claymore I see?
 Cerberus.Sephrin
user: xSephrinx
By Cerberus.Sephrin 2012-12-07 16:38:24
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
By Fenrir.Motenten 2012-12-07 16:48:39
Link | Citer | R

Yep :) Ophelia, one of my personal favorites.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-12-07 16:51:13
Link | Citer | R

Teresa is still my favorite.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Afania
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-12-07 17:02:13
Link | Citer | R

You should raise your standards on what 'good gear' is.

What is your standard on what "good gear" is then? Based on previous comment, lv 99 empy is good correct?

Last time I pt with lv 99 Masa SAM with phorcy 5/5 in prov KI BC+watcher, he parsed like 5% for all 4 BCs. Much lower than DRK WAR COR and other SAM I pt with. No death for all fight either, so death wasn't a factor. He isn't the only 99 R/E/M DD parse low, I've seen a lot more.

I'd say good player= 33% are gears, 33% are good knowledge and using right gear set, 33% are eagerness to play better(using food/spellcast or good macro etc).
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2012-12-07 17:03:27
Link | Citer | R

People just don't read.

I don't know why. Especially since this is a forum.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-12-07 17:05:29
Link | Citer | R

I refuse to have a favourite anymore cause they all die brutally!
By Kalima 2012-12-07 17:28:05
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »

That's part of the charm of the series lol!
Teresa > Miria > Flora IMO.

On topic: People want THF for TH first, bully VW procs second, sub /dnc JA procs third. DD is almost never a priority, but more icing on the cake of the above.
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2012-12-07 17:42:49
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Blinkmenot

I don't use it. I tried it for about a week a couple months ago (and it was nice to finally see skillchain damage again), but found it problematic for other reasons, so got rid of it.

That would be very interesting. I'd definitely like to see it.
I haven't run in to any problems. I use different blinkmenot settings for my main than for my mule. I can't remember what they are off the top of my head now.

Btw, are you using KParser or something else?
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
By Fenrir.Motenten 2012-12-07 17:56:10
Link | Citer | R

Kalima said: »
Phoenix.Sehachan said: »

That's part of the charm of the series lol!
Teresa > Miria > Flora IMO.

My favorites would be Riful, Ophelia and Teresa. But I'd totally hang out with Helen and Deneve, and drag Yuma and Cynthia along too, just to mess with 'em.

I haven't run in to any problems. I use different blinkmenot settings for my main than for my mule. I can't remember what they are off the top of my head now.

Btw, are you using KParser or something else?

The problems I have are a due to the way I play, which involves a fairly complicated mix of Spellcast sets, and the fact that my keyboard doesn't always like to register keypresses cleanly. Opening the equipment screen to verify every gear change isn't acceptable.

And yes, I use KParser. It's the one that I wrote, after all.
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2012-12-07 18:12:28
Link | Citer | R

For a dual boxer, how do I choose which window I want it to parse?
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
By Fenrir.Motenten 2012-12-07 18:48:51
Link | Citer | R

In the Options dialog, check the box for "Select process when starting". That will let you pick which character to parse.
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2012-12-07 19:36:44
Link | Citer | R

thanks
 Sylph.Knala
user: nala
By Sylph.Knala 2012-12-07 20:19:53
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
yeah I loved the post but couldn't find it in thread, thought the guy deleted or something. I doubt it will ever revert to that to be honest. They've changed the game too much

Between Broken game mechanics and general pace of the game sneak attack has far too long of a cool down for being the ONLY JA other then triple attack and Trick attack(and well i guess native DW which we got way late in the game) that has any influence on our damage.

Bully is mostly a slap in the face IMO its nice but its overall usefulness is low due to the long recast.

Thf was my first job to 75 love it to death even if other jobs i've taken up in recent years far out gear it now but sadly i feel no reason to put any more effort into it outside of TH gear mostly due to lack of relevancy, hell VW even debases the TH role all things considered -.-

Edit: Odd side note how would yall feel if they modified TA to use dex instead of agi (and exenerator for that matter -.-)