RMT! How is it profitable in real life
First Page 2
 Valefor.Ghuda
Serveur: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Ghuda
By Valefor.Ghuda 2009-06-09 03:26:30
Link | Citer | R

Ok, so I can understand that it must be profitable for them to be doing it in the first place BUT I just cant seem to grasp how they do so.

This thought started with an rmt tell saying 1 million was $25US. Now over the last weekend I was able to farm and garden up around 600k worth of gil (mostly that was just my 4 gardening mules having a harvest) but for the life of me cant figure out how RMT do it.

Look at it this way,

1 million = $25

For it to be a workable business venture that $25 has to

pay for the computer
pay for the software (even if it is illegal)
maybe pay for rent of a business (going off what i saw on that rmt video)

Thats just the outlay to get into the game then they have to

Pay the actual rmt player for their time (hours and hours im assuming)
Pay the rmt player to either skill a craft or level up and or do dyna/gods/sea/sky etc which would again require many hours of lvling.

Chuck in other outlays like electricity and paying themselves and their staff/web desingers etc.

It just daunts me that as a business this venture does actually work. The only way I could think of a way to make this profitable is fishing bots but then that doesnt explain all the other "RMT" activities (if they are even real)

Anyone else have thoughts on this matter?
[+]
Serveur: Remora
user: iLLogiX
By Remora.Hackstealandbot 2009-06-09 03:27:27
Link | Citer | R

duping
 Phoenix.Meez
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Meez
By Phoenix.Meez 2009-06-09 03:32:40
Link | Citer | R

Idk I thought all RMT's were JP ONRY so 25$ aint ***here and I'm not sure what the currency exchange rate is but maybe 25$US can buy a loooootta rice...
 Valefor.Ghuda
Serveur: Valefor
user: Ghuda
By Valefor.Ghuda 2009-06-09 03:41:28
Link | Citer | R

25.00 USD = 170.874 CNY
United States Dollars China Yuan Renminbi
1 USD = 6.83494 CNY 1 CNY = 0.146307 USD

25.00 USD = 17.9343 EUR
United States Dollars Euro
1 USD = 0.717372 EUR 1 EUR = 1.39398 USD

Now i searched http://www.howmuchatyourplace.com

And looked at the price of cans of coke, this is the result.

Cheapest: 0.2 Euros in , China
[+]
 Kujata.Gooby
Serveur: Kujata
user: Mutilator
By Kujata.Gooby 2009-06-09 04:10:19
Link | Citer | R

Considering how the average yearly income for someone in china is $6,000 USD ($500/mo).. I think the business they're in is the easiest to break into and earn a decent income on.. by their standards.

I'm not sure what their figures are looking like but I'm pretty sure people who are buying gil aren't just buying 1 mil.

..and it's China. I'm sure they MacGyver/penny pinch all of the equipment necessary to run their business seeing how poor their working conditions are.
[+]
 Odin.Karusan
Serveur: Odin
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-06-09 04:26:23
Link | Citer | R

Other thing I remember someone else posting is that the centers that perform RMT "Hunting" don't actually sell the gil, they sell it to a wholesaler like IGE, then IGE takes their cut and onsells it to the market.

Other thing is someone might not necessarily be limited to one computer or even have to do anything other than watch 4 or 5 characters that might be botting. Then maybe switch to a PC that's at a king spawn or something if it's the spawn window.

For a Hunter if you do some math if what I said above was actually true and making some other assumptions like they got an item worth on average 500gil to 1k per kill and they killed 2 mobs a minute.

500gil x 2 mobs/min x 60 min x 24 hours = 1,440,000gil a day per character
1000gil x 2 mobs/min x 60 min x 24 hours = 2,880,000gil a day per character

Priced on $25/mil that's between US$35/day and US$70/day per character

US$35-70 x 365 days of the year = US$12775-25550 per character per year

Multiply that by the number of characters you have or the NM items that they may get to make more money and there's a substantial amount of money in it. With the advent of windowed FFXI and Windower they could also possibly run more than one character on the same PC. On top of that they probably buy gil at a low price and sell it high. On top of that on top of that they probably have more than just FFXI going.
 Alexander.Tonythetaru
Serveur: Alexander
By Alexander.Tonythetaru 2009-06-09 04:27:09
Link | Citer | R

you know, my friend went to china for a week and only exchanged fity buck. yeah fity. he didn't even spend half of it the entire week. fity bones is a lot to those in china who, to quote the following movie :

*** Cavett: Forrest Gump, John Lennon.

John Lennon: Welcome home.

*** Cavett: You had quite a trip. Can you, uh, tell us, uh, what was China like?

Forrest: Well, in the land of China, people hardly got nothing at all.

John Lennon: No possessions?

Forrest: And in China, they never go to church.

John Lennon: No religion, too?

*** Cavett: Oh. Hard to imagine.

John Lennon: Well, it's easy if you try, ***.

Forrest: (voice-over) Some years later, that nice young man from England was on his way home to see his little boy and was signing some autographs. For no particular reason at all, somebody shot him.
[+]
 Garuda.Rae
Serveur: Garuda
user: Rae
By Garuda.Rae 2009-06-11 19:58:21
Link | Citer | R

Tonythetaru said:
you know, my friend went to china for a week and only exchanged fity buck. yeah fity. he didn't even spend half of it the entire week. fity bones is a lot to those in china who, to quote the following movie :

*** Cavett: Forrest Gump, John Lennon.

John Lennon: Welcome home.

*** Cavett: You had quite a trip. Can you, uh, tell us, uh, what was China like?

Forrest: Well, in the land of China, people hardly got nothing at all.

John Lennon: No possessions?

Forrest: And in China, they never go to church.

John Lennon: No religion, too?

*** Cavett: Oh. Hard to imagine.

John Lennon: Well, it's easy if you try, ***.

Forrest: (voice-over) Some years later, that nice young man from England was on his way home to see his little boy and was signing some autographs. For no particular reason at all, somebody shot him.

Oh man I love that movie! >_<

But back to the topic, we are thinking $25 for us. That's some gas or maybe dinner for 2,... nothing really. But to them, that is food for their family that they really don't get that often.
 Kujata.Argettio
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-06-15 06:26:19
Link | Citer | R

Blacksheep said:
Maybe if they would accept democracy into there country they could one day prosper as we have. Thats my two cents.

wow... just wow.

Democracy is by no means a fix-all solution to a country's problems. Nor is it even appropriate to some cultures.

A lot Europe is are Monarchies/Princabalities (although most have a parliamentatry system to run the country), does that mean Europe needs to change to be as well off as America?

Most of the the Oil producing nations aren't democracies and they are some riches countries in the world, and TBH hold the rest of the world by the balls...

America has the largest poverty divide of ANY 'western' country, so to say that being and American makes you well off is a joke.

Edit: For the record I am English and support the concept of democracy, just don't agree with the American view of "Democracy or GTFO"
 Siren.Blacksouless
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Blacksouless 2009-06-15 07:21:23
Link | Citer | R

Ok,Ok, I thought we were talking RMT's here not politics
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-06-15 07:28:43
Link | Citer | R

Blacksheep said:
I was being very sarcastic...It's just fun to poke at communism. We are not prospering as of recently are we?

Fair enough, the sarcasm didn't come across.

I have just meet/talked to many Americans (and people from other countries) that believe what you said, so I assumed the 'worst case' and replied from there.

I for one accept our new Chinese gil farming overlords.
Serveur: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-15 07:31:58
Link | Citer | R

Argettio said:
I for one accept our new Chinese gil farming overlords.

LOL
 Bahamut.Nomadikhan
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Nomad
By Bahamut.Nomadikhan 2009-06-15 08:00:35
Link | Citer | R

new gil overlord??? Omg wonder if he'll decree that silk thread and bestman blood shall make a comeback!

I'm go get a head start! cyas
 Asura.Sharpe
Serveur: Asura
user: Takezaki
By Asura.Sharpe 2009-06-15 08:17:16
Link | Citer | R

Blacksheep said:
I was being very sarcastic...It's just fun to poke at communism. We are not prospering as of recently are we?

China is far from Communist. Britain, Canada and France are all more "Communist" than China.
 Ifrit.Sabinblitz
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Sabinblitz 2009-06-15 08:37:36
Link | Citer | R

I just wanted to chime in here and say that The USA is technically a republic not a democracy. Ok, back to the topic. It's probally better to farm gil than work in a sweat shop making Nike's.
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-06-15 08:50:46
Link | Citer | R

Sabinblitz said:
I just wanted to chime in here and say that The USA is technically a republic not a democracy. Ok, back to the topic. It's probally better to farm gil than work in a sweat shop making Nike's.

Hence the irony of the USA bring democracy to the world.

Damnit, I'm starting my rant again...

Sabinblitz said:

Ok, back to the topic. It's probally better to farm gil than work in a sweat shop making Nike's.

Basically the truth. Gill farming is probably considered a 'good' job by some people.
 Asura.Sharpe
Serveur: Asura
user: Takezaki
By Asura.Sharpe 2009-06-15 08:54:07
Link | Citer | R

Sabinblitz said:

America is a Republic yes but it's also a Constitutional Democracy. At the end of the day it's a democracy.
 Pandemonium.Knightofdragons
Serveur: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Knightofdragons 2009-06-15 09:07:46
Link | Citer | R

Well heere is something:
Account 1: 15mules - garderns, 1Char fishmen
Account 2: 15mules - Garderns, 1Char Fishmen

Account 1 & 2 Only need players from
Account 3,4 check on the process, and active fishing bot, and leave

Require full time use, and daily checks garnder process
Account 3,4,5,6,7,8: 15mules garders ech, 1char NM hunter

Now the farms can prob easly make 1mil a day if they do it non-stop! Add minners etc etc to the mix i'm sure they can make an easy few Mil.

I Don't know if this is how they do it, but based on how they bot fish/mine/ aswell do NMs, i would think this is one of the ways of doing it, and most likely productive way
 Pandemonium.Knightofdragons
Serveur: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Knightofdragons 2009-06-15 09:10:51
Link | Citer | R

Oh Also forgot 2 add,
You could prob add about 5/6Fishing Accounts onto 1 computer useing non-offical windower

better the computer more the accounts..

And Rmts dnt acturally make alot of money its the sites that sells the gil that makes most of it,

And most of the Sites are NA/EU Not chines
 Carbuncle.Elgato
Serveur: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Elgato 2009-06-15 09:11:51
Link | Citer | R

I got a tell the other day it was not to see if I wnted to buy gil, but if I wnted to sell gil.
I guess they giving jobs all over the world >.<
 Fairy.Pwrlessgirl
user: Pwrless
By Fairy.Pwrlessgirl 2009-06-15 09:17:23
Link | Citer | R

As long as there is in this world a combination of a Rich/Lazy moron that's willing to buy an account for USD 500 - 1000, these RMT's will never go away. And rather than be farming rice for $2 a day, some rather come to the city and sit on computer all day leveling a character to sell away for real money. Many of these people are sub contracted by some genious in California that will sell you and account for 500+ USD then giving peanuts back to the RMT's. However, those USD 25 for 1 million or whatever CNY they make is much better means to get gil than sitting on a wasteland scrapping gold TV monitors (sent by America) and getting sick over Mercury poisoning.
I once got invited to an RMT party, I noticed because of their crappy lvl 25-30 armor. We made 22-36 level in one day, another day was 36-44 and another time 69-72. I got the chance to talk to them and find out what the hell they do, they revealed a few things:
1. The characters they played where going 24/7, when they gotto sleep, another person took their place.
2. They kept going non-stop, even as party members died, they had a PL.
3. They we making about 10,000 CNY a month, so more/less 1,400 USD.
They basically went from 1-75 in like 3 weeks.

Personally, I have never bought gil from any of these places nor have I engaged on RMT business, I feel as silly as it sound that many people spend countless hours and monthly subscriptions cost to play this ffxi game, there is a sense of accomplishment (however absurd it may sound) to be able to Learn a craft, farm goodies, and make your own thousands or millions by your own hand.
[+]
 Fairy.Pwrless
user: Pwrless
By Fairy.Pwrless 2009-06-15 09:18:43
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, and don't forget your pocket tarutaru PL and mules adding 12.95+ a month to SE's bottom line BHWAHAHAHAHA
 Titan.Shirai
Serveur: Titan
user: Shirai
By Titan.Shirai 2009-06-15 09:21:44
Link | Citer | R

North American/European/Japanese RMT:

Usually normal players like you and me, full time job, selling excess gil on the side they make from crafting.
Usually per 20~30 mil just to make a little extra pocket change.

Chinese/Taiwanese/Korean RMT:

One person usually with a syndicate (mafia) behind him that already makes money through other channels like shipping Bootleg material, narcotics, weapons, etc.
Fills up a shop with computers and employs kids between 13 and 19 years old from the poorer sides of the country paying them a dollar for each million they make.
The rest of the money the buyer pays minus transaction costs from the intermediate (see below) lands in his own pockets.
They do not limit themselves to FFXI, but usually WoW and other MMO rmt-operations are ran from the same location.

Old computers are usually shipped to these poor regions already and the people that get them gladly sell them off for cheap as they can use the money better anyway.
Money buys food, computers don't.
FFXI sells itself cheap too, especially with the free trial accounts these days.
A normal sweatshop has about 50 computers, and the employees are not paid if they don't make the amount of currency asked.

Intermediates:
Just look at the adds on this site, ingame rmt spam, Ige, etc.
Every transaction done they take a few bucks.

RMT is booming business.
 Ramuh.Yasko
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Yasko
By Ramuh.Yasko 2009-06-15 15:15:40
Link | Citer | R

Makes me want to help them out.
 Cerberus.Demonknight
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Demonknight 2009-06-15 17:03:02
Link | Citer | R

There was a video on youtube from a story ran on MTV regarding this very topic. The gil farming set up they have is quite disturbing. Apartments set up with nothing but pc's.. workers work 12hrs a day farming up game currency and then sell to websites such as IGE, etc. They workers get beans for pay and actually sleep on the floor of these places. Like I said.. disturbing.
 Remora.Dubont
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-06-15 17:20:04
Link | Citer | R

i would want to help rmt out...if they would help themselves out first. Simple..go to school..get a decent education..find a good job. What they are doing..not getting any education, sitting infront of computers all day long to make money. They arent even helping themselves so why should i help them?
[+]
 Ifrit.Thunderz
Serveur: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-06-15 17:27:52
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Blacksheep said:
You guys can feel as bad as you want for those people but to be honest its a waste of time. We have our own poor and sick people in this country. Its $25 bucks only buys some gas and maybe dinner for 2, then think how hard it must be for those struggling here?

We shouldn't feel bad because we were gifted with the privilege of being a U.S. citizen. Maybe if they would accept democracy into there country they could one day prosper as we have. Thats my two cents.

one sec /off topic

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

/on topic

RMT do profit

you pay your workers pennies a day. Work LONG hours and bam you got yourself a quick buck
 Remora.Firushado
user: Firushado
By Remora.Firushado 2009-06-16 09:58:41
Link | Citer | R

You see that guy Kendrah1 who advertises here...?

If you ignore the whole RMT for gil thing and look at what Kendrah1 does in regards to RMT...

The guy lives in the states and pretty much makes a living off buying and selling accounts through egamingsupply and other websites, he made a fortune from AV drops back when it was zergable and always seems to find himself with a ***load of gil to sell along with accounts.

You don't have to be Chinese or w/e to make a living from being RMTeh just know the market, and know how to make gil.

Every so often some nab decides to steal a LS bank worth hundreds of millions of gil, chances are they probably get a nice new extension on their house not long after.

Gil isn't hard to get and isn't hard to sell. Dude gets gil, sells to vendor for a fee, vendor sells to someone who decides to buy.

If people weren't buying gil by the truck load there wouldn't be a market for it, you could estimate atleast 50% of FF players have bought gil at the very least once.

Lets do the math...£12 for 1mil, would take me say 2 hours at a normal job to make £12...yet to farm that would take like a day or two...and who knows SE probably sell gil to vendors themselves anyway.

People have better ***to do than farm all day!

Unless your Chinese, poor and a retard obviously >.>
stereotype GO!
 Garuda.Xjam
Serveur: Garuda
user: Xjam
By Garuda.Xjam 2009-06-16 10:21:13
Link | Citer | R

your theory has many flaws.
two were very much exaggerated.
1: at least 50% of ffxiplayers!?
2: house extension!?

#1 Definitely says ur a longtime gil-buyer.

:P
 Remora.Firushado
user: Firushado
By Remora.Firushado 2009-06-16 12:17:52
Link | Citer | R

lol check my AH history I don't really need to buy gil, I make it just fine, I just happened to of been involved in certain things during my absense
First Page 2