The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 133 134 135 ... 446 447 448
 Asura.Highwynn
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-11-11 11:03:24
Link | Citer | R

Wow i didnt know potency merits were a modifier, i thought it was just +2 blue attack per merit. If main hand attack is added right on, certain pieces may be better than raw +str, like prosilio belt+1 over metalsinger belt, whirlpool mask over augmented ejekamal, and other high attack pieces, given of course that most mons in adoulin require well over 2k+ attack to cap pdif unless you're getting geo or angon+dia3+light shot. Also solidifies the need for nature's meditation since the +20% blue attack is a huge boon.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2014-11-11 11:03:32
Link | Citer | R

I'm still torn on the rings..

It's between the Regain ring, Fast Cast ring, and the two Refresh rings.

If I plan on making a Tizona, would that make the Regain > Refresh rings I'm guessing? And if that's the case, the Fast Cast Ring has so many good stats on it, while the other is mostly just for regain.. So confused!
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-11-11 11:04:01
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Larrymc said: »
Quote:
600 * 1.25 = 750 - 600 = 150
Would you mind explaining the main hand percentage bonus part of the calculation please?

the amount of attack you get from percentage bonuses is based on the mainhand. so in this example, we have a base attack of 600 for the main hand and are adding on berserk (25%). therefor, 600 * 1.25 = 750 is main hand attack after berserk. remove base again, 750 - 600 = 150. So blue magic attack is gaining 150 from berserk because main hand gained 150 from berserk.

Asura.Highwynn said: »
Wow i didnt know potency merits were a modifier, i thought it was just +2 blue attack per merit

I posted my findings on this a long, long time ago. It's in the OP too

Quote:
f main hand attack is added right on

not how it works at all. my previous post outlines exactly where all of the attack comes from. attack from equipment is added right on, but main hand attack is not mirrored. percentage buffs like berserk and nat. meditation are stronger than they otherwise would be for blue magic attack since they function based on main hand attack, which, as I stated before, gets 8 extra base attack and extra base attack from STR (.75 instead of .5).

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
I'm still torn on the rings..

It's between the Regain ring, Fast Cast ring, and the two Refresh rings.

If I plan on making a Tizona, would that make the Regain > Refresh rings I'm guessing? And if that's the case, the Fast Cast Ring has so many good stats on it, while the other is mostly just for regain.. So confused!

Regain ring is too weak to consider only for regain. It would take 30 full minutes to receive 3000TP from Karieyh, and since the WSD on it is basically worthless for BLU and the WSACC is so minute overall, it's not a very good ring. I went with Fast Cast ring since it sports the highest overall utility across all jobs in addition to 10 light affinity for light based WS and spells. Refresh is nice for idle, but you don't spend a majority of combat events in idle sets.
 Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-11-11 11:09:35
Link | Citer | R

Also for wkr, my strat is to /run with dw3 and barrier tusk. Lock in defending ring, mollusca mantle, use ygnas resolve +1, i offhand homestead. Taking off aura is hugely important for me because it makes them all die much faster, so typically i'll cdc>cdc for light or ca sinker drink then mb with a 5-7k lunge, or an unbridled spell. When azure lore is up, i spam cdc>Sinker drill or heavy>thrashing. Glutinous may do more in the long run but sinker under azure is like a 5s recast and does 10k+ and makes darkness with cdc which plds and other blus spam. You could also make a script to spam sanguine blade and afk cuz with ygnas resolves+25% wsd, you'll be dojng 4-5k sanguines if your set is decent, and you'll be virtually unkillable except if you get doomed/one shotted(but if you lock in DT gear and have runes up/tusk up, its unlikely)
 Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-11-11 11:11:23
Link | Citer | R

Sorry i meant to say from gear, which is why i mentioned whirlpool/prosilio. For people who chose karieyh ring, while not that great for cdc, at the very least, it's sanguine+5% which is probably best in slot along with archon ring i would imagine.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-11-11 11:15:26
Link | Citer | R

3% WSD, not 5. If it's better than a highMAB ring, it isn't by much. Not entirely sure where WSD factors in to magic WSs
 Sylph.Hyunkyl
Serveur: Sylph
user: hyunkyl
By Sylph.Hyunkyl 2014-11-11 11:17:51
Link | Citer | R

How would MAB+5(Adoulin ring) would translate compared to WSD +3%(Kariyeh ring)?
 Shiva.Larrymc
Serveur: Shiva
user: larrymc
By Shiva.Larrymc 2014-11-11 11:18:54
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
the amount of attack you get from percentage bonuses is based on the mainhand.

One additional question - does this mean that food percentage boosts - like red curry buns, also apply to the main hand percentage bonus - or only JA type % boosts?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-11-11 11:22:34
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Hyunkyl said: »
How would MAB+5(Adoulin ring) would translate compared to WSD +3%(Kariyeh ring)?

Adoulin ring's got 7MAB, not 5. But again, not sure where WSD factors in on magic WSs so can't say an exact comparison.

Shiva.Larrymc said: »
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
the amount of attack you get from percentage bonuses is based on the mainhand.

One additional question - does this mean that food percentage boosts - like red curry buns, also apply to the main hand percentage bonus - or only JA type % boosts?

yes, food is based on main hand too unless it's giving a straight amount of +attack. any attack that is expressed as a percentage is based off of the main hand (chaos roll, berserk, last resort, food, etc). SE was actually fairly thorough with telling us how this worked, so it was easier to confirm.

Quote:
The attack power of physical blue magic spells has been increased.

Job abilities, magic, food, and equipment that affect physical attack are now reflected in the attack power of physical blue magic spells.
* With regard to those effects that raise physical attacks by a percentage, the attack of physical blue magic spells will vary based on the strength of the weapon wielded in the main hand.
 Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-11-11 11:30:01
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
The attack power of physical blue magic spells has been increased.

Job abilities, magic, food, and equipment that affect physical attack are now reflected in the attack power of physical blue magic spells.
* With regard to those effects that raise physical attacks by a percentage, the attack of physical blue magic spells will vary based on the strength of the weapon wielded in the main hand.

From the way that's worded it seemed like we got 2 buffs. 1) blue physical attack was increased overall, and 2) blue physical attack now factors in main hand attack, gear, buffs, etc. It's kind of ambiguous to me if the second sentence referring to magic/JA/food is an elaboration of the first sentence or if it's separate, meaning blue physical attack was increased overall AND it's now affected by JA/food/equip. Were they two separate bullets or was it one bullet?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-11-11 11:32:55
Link | Citer | R

there are no other adjustments other than things that didn't affect blu attack now affecting it. the test results are very telling, when it comes to ratio even a minor difference will change the expected result by a noticeable amount. adjusting base blue attack would be significant and easy to see as a result.
 Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-11-11 11:35:19
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
there are no other adjustments other than things that didn't affect blu attack now affecting it. the test results are very telling, when it comes to ratio even a minor difference will change the expected result by a noticeable amount. adjusting base blue attack would be significant and easy to see as a result.

Bummer, cuz from the update details it almost seems like the blue attack adjustments were in 2 stages from the 2 different bullet points.

Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-11-11 11:41:18
Link | Citer | R

What mob families are we still lacking spells from these days? Would be nice to at least get the SoA spells next patch since it's over now.

So far I think we're missing:

Tulfaires
Orobons
Corpselights
Mantids
Harpies
Ironclads
Omegas
Ultimas
Bismarck
Sandworm
Ixion
Caturae
Naraka
Gallu
Belladona
Abyss Dragons
Dullahans
Snapweed
Raaz
Pixie
Yztarg
Yovra
Heartwing
Leafkin
Detector
 Cerberus.Doctorugh
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Doctorugh
By Cerberus.Doctorugh 2014-11-11 13:08:24
Link | Citer | R

So then zerk/ect only affect the base main hand damage? Its not calculated after +att gear and minuets as it normally would be?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-11-11 14:04:25
Link | Citer | R

right, blue magic attack has no bearing on percentage buffs. the amount of attack you get from percentage buffs is based entirely on the mainhand

nvm I misread. it takes minuets and stuff into consideration. whatever the amount of attack you get on your mainhand from berserk or something is the amount you get for blue magic, regardless of other buffs

Complete explanation here.
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2014-11-12 01:20:11
Link | Citer | R

So, I just managed to pick up Dread Jupon from the Shadow Lord fight, and I'm curious about what situations this is superior to Relic body. There used to be a great mini-explanation on damage calculation in the OP here, but it must have been removed to make some space. I can't seem to work the spreadsheets properly, so until I pull my head out of my ***, I wanted to ask for advice here. The OP mentions an attack ratio of 2.1 and below warrants Relic body to be the better choice, but I'm not sure how to calculate that. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-11-12 15:01:34
Link | Citer | R

preliminary testing suggests that Thrashing Assault has an attack bonus (fairly sizeable one) but Sinker Drill does not. would explain the cost/recast difference between the two
 Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-11-12 15:51:56
Link | Citer | R

I have pretty much never seen Thrashing Assault overtake Sinker Drill damage, except on Wopket or something that resists piercing heavily. Even when my attack is seemingly low, Sinker does more, perhaps because it's an extra hit over Thrashing or has slightly better mods? I don't know. We could use a new multi hit blunt spell. We're limited with blunt damage to just heavy strike and Goblin Rush I think.
 Bismarck.Zuidar
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2014-11-13 18:26:50
Link | Citer | R

Now I remember! Sinker Drill's secondary SC property is Reverberation. Flash Nova to SD made fragmentation. so

Gravitation/Reverberation
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2014-11-14 06:16:01
Link | Citer | R

Where do Nomkahpa Mittens +1 fit in for both TP and CDC? For CDC, they have 1 less dex but 3 more str and 1 extra DA, and for TP they have an additional 6 str, 4 dex, and 1 extra DA, only losing a bit of accuracy.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-11-14 07:37:56
Link | Citer | R

I think we can say without even looking at a spreadsheet that Nomkah. +1 win quite handily on TP as long as Acc isn't an issue. Qaaxo is still good for defensive stats but it's a fairly minor difference and I don't think anyone is going to make them to gain some defensive stats.

CDC is closer and while you drop 1 point of dex which is very highly modded but the 3 str and 1 DA make up for that.

The situation for Req is quite similar too. You loose 1 Mnd but gain 3 str and 1 DA. Req has a slightly higher mod but 1% DA is pretty nice.

If I get some time I'll put a few numbers through but I'd feel quite okay with going ahead and replacing all 3 of these.
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2014-11-14 08:01:34
Link | Citer | R

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and swapped them into all three sets as well from just eyeballing, but I wanted a more informed opinion when it comes to specifics.
 Shiva.Trumpy
Serveur: Shiva
user: Trumpy3k
By Shiva.Trumpy 2014-11-14 12:49:05
Link | Citer | R

Hi did anyone ever retest These spells Since they were altered in Oct? Were they given Modifiers or anything? What did this update do exactly?

Attribute adjustments have been added to the following spells.
Tempestuous Upheaval / Rending Deluge / Enbalming Earth / Foul Water / Retinal Glare / Subduction

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-11-14 14:43:36
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Nikia said: »
Nomkah. +1 does win in TP long as Acc isnt needed but soon as it is, Qaaxo pulls ahead, in CDC the targets I input Nilas and Nomkah+1 were even.
What buffs and mob settings? I'd have thought that Nom would win, even if by just a bit.

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-11-14 19:07:33
Link | Citer | R

Tizona probably devalues DA a bit but still, when I took your sheet making no other changes, changing TP gloves from Nilas to Nom +1 it went from 611.552 to 612.526.

And on Ws when I changed Nom +1 to Nilas it went from 3686 WS damage to 3677 And Set DPS went down from 611.552 to 610.600.

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-11-14 21:45:14
Link | Citer | R

Ah, I forgot to put AM3 back on. If you take Tizona off and put on an uson path A it turns around and Nom wins all.
 Asura.Velata
user: Viertel
By Asura.Velata 2014-11-18 11:02:41
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Trumpy said: »
Hi did anyone ever retest These spells Since they were altered in Oct? Were they given Modifiers or anything? What did this update do exactly?

Attribute adjustments have been added to the following spells.
Tempestuous Upheaval / Rending Deluge / Enbalming Earth / Foul Water / Retinal Glare / Subduction

Haven't really seen any big testing on those because outside of Subduction they're not really used all that often on a regular basis.

I know Subduction though has around 5% STR+VIT bonuses from glancing the day after that patch. Nothing really worth going after but the natural STR and VIT on gear gave it a boost, and when tested with boost-stats from a WHM (25) those two were the only ones to give any different results.

The rest I dunno as I don't use them: any AoEing I do pretty much revolves around Subduction (and if Umbrils/Aceux are involved Thermal Pulse as well).
First Page 2 3 ... 133 134 135 ... 446 447 448