Help Maximize TP Gain With KC

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » Help Maximize TP Gain with KC
Help Maximize TP Gain with KC
By ala7lam 2012-02-17 06:12:06
Link | Citer | R

Hi everyone,

I recently came back to FFXI after several years. I am still getting used to everything new but I was wondering if you guys can help me optimize TP Gain when using a KC on OH.

Here is what I use at the moment:

Aiming to:
- Replace Heed with Epona although the subtle blow on the first one is nice
- Finish my Kannagi for MH

At the moment I hit too fast that I usually spam Blade: Jin/Shun every few seconds if I was lucky. It is nice especially when it comes to helping maintain hate. Would probably be even better with Blade: Hi.

Notes:
- I am not sure how effective Store TP is with 1h and especially a KC, which is why I am using Goading Belt atm.
- I am using Koga+2 for Acc and the DW.
- I am very bad with formulas hence why I posted here ^_^;;
- I have a Utsusemi macro that swiches in a Iga Legs+2, and hopefully Twilight Belt when I get it.
- I was thinking of using a parser but not sure how accurate that can be with TP Gain.
- For those wondering or thinking about getting a KC, you don't need to worry about feeding TP to mobs, I have been actually tanking lots of Abyssea bosses with it and see no problem. I even tried to switch it for a katana every now and then and saw no real difference. I have maxed my SB merits and as you can see from my gear there are a couple of pieces with SB. I also keep the spells up.

I would really appreciate any input from you guys. Would Store TP, Haste, Dual Wield all benefit KC? what's an optimal combination of those for maximum TP gain?

Thanks!
 Shiva.Schatzie
Serveur: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: itemset
By Shiva.Schatzie 2012-02-17 07:10:19
Link | Citer | R

quick eyeballing i would change:
-neck->rancor collar /hope torque + rancor mantle seems to be popular recommendations lately

body->nin chainmail +1 if youre in solo/abyssea, pretty sure others can find situations where youd use koga, but nin +1 for general

pants->well augmented byakkos or iga hakama +2, cap off your haste man!
 Cerberus.Drayco
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2012-02-17 07:12:57
Link | Citer | R

Ditch all your double attack stuff. No brutal and no Atheling. Double/triple/quad attack kills KC tp feed. This means with KC off hand, your better off with your Heed Ring than Epona
By ala7lam 2012-02-17 07:15:56
Link | Citer | R

Thanks for your quick suggestions.

I do use Rancor for WSing not for TP gain though.

With regard to the NIN Chain Mail+1 that would end up taking out lots of Acc which Koga + 2 offers and that would seriously affect hitting with a KC especially on higher level mobs I would assume. I don't believe 2% more DW would beat that, at least if I am using a KC.

For the pants, yes I have been a bit unsure which to use but I guess the evasion on Koga does help sometimes, but if Iga+2 will increase my TP gain by MUCH then I would switch to it definitely!

Thanks!
By ala7lam 2012-02-17 07:17:48
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Drayco said: »
Ditch all your double attack stuff. No brutal and no Atheling. Double/triple/quad attack kills KC tp feed. This means with KC off hand, your better off with your Heed Ring than Epona

Nice to hear that Heed > Epona for a KC (Was thinking the same). What would you suggest in Atheling's place?

Also, I am guessing the Store TP on Goading would beat Twilight Belt for the same reason?

Thanks!
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-02-17 07:19:16
Link | Citer | R

atm you only have 19% haste, so no, goading is not better than twilight.
Make sure to have 25-26% haste first of all, I highly doubt that the DW on +2 pants is better

Edit: typo
By ala7lam 2012-02-17 07:25:33
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
atm you only have 19% haste, so no, goading is not better than twilight.
Make sure to have 25-26% haste first of all, I highly doubt that the DW on +2 pants is better

Edit: typo
I could cap it with Iga+2 and keep goading but is that a general rule like to always cap haste no matter what weapon or how much DW you got?

Also, if you get Haste, would that allow for my haste to be capped and allow for the use of Koga+2 Legs for +DW?

Thanks!
 Cerberus.Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2012-02-17 07:25:38
Link | Citer | R

Remember that dual wield effect is going to lower your TP with each hit, so make sure your at haste cap before stacking on DW gear like Kvazz said. +2~5% double attack really isnt going to break your KC setup. When your using tons of Double/Triple gear on thf with a KC, you'll see what I'm talking about. A low delay dagger will actually give you TP faster most of the time. Your KC will wait until the 2nd/3rd attack of your double/triple attack is over before starting your next round of swings. When KC procs, it doesnt wait until the 8th swing is done, it will overlap. Thats what makes KC so fun
By ala7lam 2012-02-17 07:32:20
Link | Citer | R

I see. Ok switching to Iga+2 Legs then.

At haste cap would goading be better than Twilight?
Also, what's your thought about the DW belt from the Crab NM?
 Bahamut.Xiutaru
Serveur: Bahamut
user: etherue
By Bahamut.Xiutaru 2012-02-17 07:51:09
Link | Citer | R

Switching to IgaLegs+2, you'll be capped on haste, so I would still stick with Goading Belt. Twilight has DA+2% and shouldn't be used with KC for this reason:
Ditch all your double attack stuff. [...] Double/triple/quad attack kills KC tp feed.

I wouldn't bother with the DW belt, seeing as that would drop your haste down from cap with your new setup.
By ala7lam 2012-02-17 08:05:44
Link | Citer | R

Excellent suggestions guys.

Any alternative options to Atheling for TP gain?
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Serveur: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2012-02-17 08:06:38
Link | Citer | R

Rancor(ous) is probably best.
 Odin.Upbeat
Serveur: Odin
user: Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2012-02-17 08:20:37
Link | Citer | R

EDIT: Totally didn't see that you wanted maximized TP gain. This is a rounded set, but won't get you maximum TP.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2012-02-17 08:24:10
Link | Citer | R

belenos mantle wouldn't be better?
By ala7lam 2012-02-17 08:26:21
Link | Citer | R

I like the Back and Mars's Ring.

I doubt I will be using the Neck although it is nice because of the -Evasion, especially since Mars's will do the same.

I am not sure it is a good idea to tank with Bullwhip !

Thanks!
By ala7lam 2012-02-17 08:27:07
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Hevans said: »
belenos mantle wouldn't be better?
That's a very nice Mantle! with some STP.
By ala7lam 2012-02-17 08:31:38
Link | Citer | R

Actually just noticed that Iga mantle also has STP+5. I will try to get that mantle to see if the Acc can help
 Odin.Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2012-02-17 08:32:57
Link | Citer | R

ala7lam said: »

I doubt I will be using the Neck although it is nice because of the -Evasion, especially since Mars's will do the same.

Thanks!
You plan on tanking with a Kraken club? It's a great toy, but not something you would use on anything where evasion matters in my opinion. But hey! It's your 12.95 have fun with it :D
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2012-02-17 08:33:41
Link | Citer | R

unless the 3 stp will bump you up a tp per hit the acc is going probably going to be better.
 Cerberus.Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2012-02-17 08:56:31
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Upbeat said: »

EDIT: Totally didn't see that you wanted maximized TP gain. This is a rounded set, but won't get you maximum TP.

This ^

All the acc will really help out with the lower club skill so you wont miss on stronger stuff.
 Shiva.Schatzie
By Shiva.Schatzie 2012-02-17 09:00:34
Link | Citer | R

if yall are looking into stp, houyi's is a nice addition.
By ala7lam 2012-02-17 09:30:45
Link | Citer | R

Thanks!
You plan on tanking with a Kraken club? It's a great toy, but not something you would use on anything where evasion matters in my opinion. But hey! It's your 12.95 have fun with it :D

I do tank with it inside Abyssea with no issues of Mob TP Fed at all. I actually tanked a mob after a NIN tanked it using 2 Katanas and the TP usuage of the mob was similar
By ala7lam 2012-02-17 09:39:58
Link | Citer | R

This ^

All the acc will really help out with the lower club skill so you wont miss on stronger stuff.

Using Iga+2 as legs for Acc and since I am not sure if I will ever get a good augment on Byak's. This also allows me to use Goading which is always nice to use for STP and Enmity.

Now for the Mantly & Neck pieces, I am really unsure. The back is just too great but having -6 SB might be a bit risky with a KC (Same Reason I might pass on Mars's Ring). I might go for the Neck first :).

Thanks!
 Odin.Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2012-02-17 10:10:14
Link | Citer | R

If you really want the quickest TP gain:

NIN/SAM Carbonara +1 for food.
(Byakko needs to be augmented with STP+5 or higher, if not, Enkidu's Subligar.) Store TP katana would give you more TP per attack round, but you would WS less due to the delay unless you have marches or haste.

With a G-horn BRD for SV march/haste, a COR for Samurai roll, and a SAM to sit in the party plus Atma of Dunes, Sun Eater, and Scorpion Queen you'll be at around 7.7~8.0tp/hit(Depending on the main hand delay.) which puts you at an 11 hit(actually only 1/2 hits required to reach 100%+ TP). Allowing you to instantly WS back to back endlessly.

With no marches/haste/sam roll, and slightly less than perfect gear this is the quickest TP I could gain:
[+]
By ala7lam 2012-02-17 10:20:46
Link | Citer | R

If you really want the quickest TP gain:

NIN/SAM Carbonara +1 for food.
(Byakko needs to be augmented with STP+5 or higher, if not, Enkidu's Subligar.) Store TP katana would give you more TP per attack round, but you would WS less due to the delay unless you have marches or haste.

With a G-horn BRD for SV march/haste, a COR for Samurai roll, and a SAM to sit in the party plus Atma of Dunes, Sun Eater, and Scorpion Queen you'll be at around 7.7~8.0tp/hit(Depending on the main hand delay.) which puts you at an 11 hit(actually only 1/2 hits required to reach 100%+ TP). Allowing you to instantly WS back to back endlessly.

With no marches/haste/sam roll, and slightly less than perfect gear this is the quickest TP I could gain:

I am actually trying to make a KC build with Kannagi. A build for tanking and still getting some fast +100 TP allowing for WS Spam.

At the moment I do get a lot of TP with each round of swings, usually +20 or +30.

But the video is impressive :D
 Odin.Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2012-02-17 10:39:03
Link | Citer | R

Well I'm not going to tell you how to play, but I will say, go grab a Kamome or STR/Attack magian trial katana, and just look at the numbers. Your TP gain will be about the same unless you do something like I did in the video, with much higher damage. NIN does a ton of damage from their WSs, but they do even more from their melee you don't want a KC's little 20 damage hits when you could have a katana doing 300s

Kraken club is a great fun toy, but really it's just that. A toy for messing around like I did in the video. Especially in abyssea where odds are you're /WAR, and using atma of apoc both of which kill KC's 2~8 Attacks.

Using Iga+2 as legs for Acc and since I am not sure if I will ever get a good augment on Byak's.
Byakko's have almost the exact same accuracy(+15DEX=7.5acc) as Iga +2 while giving crit hit rate.
[+]
 Shiva.Schatzie
By Shiva.Schatzie 2012-02-17 10:58:13
Link | Citer | R

Well I'm not going to tell you how to play, but I will say, go grab a Kamome or STR/Attack magian trial katana, and just look at the numbers. Your TP gain will be about the same unless you do something like I did in the video, with much higher damage. NIN does a ton of damage from their WSs, but they do even more from their melee you don't want a KC's little 20 damage hits when you could have a katana doing 300s

Kraken club is a great fun toy, but really it's just that. A toy for messing around like I did in the video. Especially in abyssea where odds are you're /WAR, and using atma of apoc both of which kill KC's 2~8 Attacks.

Using Iga+2 as legs for Acc and since I am not sure if I will ever get a good augment on Byak's.
Byakko's have almost the exact same accuracy(+15DEX=7.5acc) as Iga +2 while giving crit hit rate.
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/1878-What-Atmas-Do-You-Use/page3

this guy named mojo did a quick math of how much kannagi kamome > KC if youre interested in some figures.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-02-17 11:06:16
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Schatzie said: »

this guy named mojo did a quick math of how much kannagi kamome > KC if youre interested in some figures.

That's a great post, good find :3
By ala7lam 2012-02-17 12:05:30
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Schatzie said: »

Interesting. I am not sure though if having that much DA have affected the KC performance as an OH.

I guess it is possible to parse Kannagi/KC without much DA and try Kannagi/Kamome with DA, etc... and see how the damage over time is, not just from WSs but from hits too.

Currently when I use 2 Katanas I do notice a very big delay in getting to 100TP compared to OH a KC.

I hope that once I get my Kannagi I could test this further.