Daylight Saving Time and You! :D
First Page 2
 Fairy.Tbest
Serveur: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-05-04 16:37:34
Link | Citer | R

Alrighty boys and girls, it's time for a lesson in Daylight Saving Time! =D I'm sure you're all VERY excited.

This post has become necessary because it has come to my attention that many don't know exactly what the ST or DT mean in EST/CST/MST/PST and EDT/CDT/MDT/PDT. This can cause quite a lot of confusion when trying to organize events and make sure that there are no conflicts.

For reference, a lot of this information can be found in Wikipedia's Daylight Saving Time Article

The basic way that Daylight Saving Time works is you move your clock forward one hour in the Spring and move your clock backward one hour in the Fall. This is where we get the "Spring ahead" and "Fall behind" phrases.

Below is a picture that illustrates which areas of the world use Daylight Saving Time and which areas do not. The blue represents areas that use it, the orange represents areas that used to use it, and the red represents areas that never used it.

User submitted image

Below is a pic (or link if the pic doesn't work) that shows time zones around the world in "Standard Time". Remember, Standard Time is the time from Fall to Spring. This means that if you're in the US, "Standard Time" would be from the first Sunday in November til the second Sunday in March. "Daylight Time" however is the time from the second Sunday in March til the first Sunday in November. For example, from Nov > Mar areas in the Eastern part of the US located in the "Eastern Time" zone are GMT-5 and use the "Eastern Standard Time". But, those same areas in the "Eastern Time" zone are GMT-4 from Mar > Nov and follow "Eastern Daylight Time".

Wikipedia said:
Since 2007, daylight saving time starts on the second Sunday of March and ends on the first Sunday of November, with all time changes taking place at 02:00 local time.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/2007-02-20_time_zones.svg

Wikipedia said:
Time zone names typically change when DST is observed. American English replaces standard with daylight: for example, Pacific Standard Time (PST) becomes Pacific Daylight Time (PDT). British English uses summer: for example, Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) becomes British Summer Time (BST). Abbreviations do not always change: for example, many (though not all) Australians say that Eastern Standard Time (EST) becomes Eastern Summer Time (also EST).

Now then, this brings us to an interesting point. Have you ever noticed when the server message says there's going to be maintenance from like 11:00 PDT to 13:00 PDT? Well, that "PDT" means Pacific Daylight Time and is GMT-7 from Mar > Nov which is MST or Mountain Standard Time from Nov > Mar.

Wikipedia said:
Time zone names typically change when DST is observed. American English replaces standard with daylight: for example, Pacific Standard Time (PST) becomes Pacific Daylight Time (PDT). British English uses summer: for example, Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) becomes British Summer Time (BST). Abbreviations do not always change: for example, many (though not all) Australians say that Eastern Standard Time (EST) becomes Eastern Summer Time (also EST).

User submitted image
^ is an advertisement that was used in the U.S. during 2001. The date is inaccurate, but I thought it was a funny pic to close with.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Serveur: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-05-04 16:41:59
Link | Citer | R

any one who cant google this up needs to quit life.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-05-04 16:44:20
Link | Citer | R

Well... I figured I'd compile it and try to help people understand Daylight Saving and the +/- GMT along with the acronyms. I had a lovely conversation last night with someone that thought we were entering a zone at the wrong time due to an error in their understanding of Daylight Saving Time.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-05-04 16:44:44
Link | Citer | R

Pretty colors. :3
 Asura.Ludoggy
Serveur: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-05-04 16:46:21
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:
Well... I figured I'd compile it and try to help people understand Daylight Saving and the +/- GMT along with the acronyms. I had a lovely conversation last night with someone that thought we were entering a zone at the wrong time due to an error in their understanding of Daylight Saving Time.

That's sad.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-05-04 16:47:32
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, I agree. But, instead of being angry/upset... I'd rather try to increase their understanding of it so that these types of errors don't happen in the future.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-05-04 16:48:29
Link | Citer | R

I forget to breathe sometimes. Good thing I have this pocket guide.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-05-04 16:49:35
Link | Citer | R

I think its a valid post, I know I totally forget about the daylight savings. I didn't know until recently about US has the daylight savings weeks before the UK does.
Yea I am one of those :(

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Siren.Antigod
Serveur: Siren
user: AnTi90d
By Siren.Antigod 2009-05-04 16:50:53
Link | Citer | R

*** daylight savings time.

*** the green movement.

..and *** this guy:

User submitted image
[+]
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-05-04 16:51:16
Link | Citer | R

lol... Silly trolls.
Thanks, Alyria.
I'm just trying to be a good leader and promote good practices, communication, and understanding intra and inter linkshell.

Antigod said:
*** daylight savings time.

Ummm... I believe it's actually "Daylight Saving Time". Pretty sure there's no s. >.>

Post deleted by User.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-05-04 16:53:47
Link | Citer | R

Yea they haven't had their medicine today. Actually I have to admit, I didnt know what the pdt, etc. acronyms were either til recently because I never heard or read anyone ever use it.

Yea i needa read more :/
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-05-04 16:54:36
Link | Citer | R

All my stuff in my house with a timer does it automatically. :P
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-05-04 16:57:16
Link | Citer | R

Hehe, no worries, Alyria.
Even though I 'knew' what they meant before and knew that Daylight Time was from Spring to Fall, I always used to say EST for Eastern Time instead of saying EDT because 90% of the country uses Daylight Time. It would be wonderful if all of a sudden everyone started using the correct acronyms and understood the +/- associated with them so we could stop perpetuating this cycle of miscommunications.
 Odin.Liela
Serveur: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2009-05-04 16:57:54
Link | Citer | R

This is a nice post. I forget everything, including birthdays and anniversaries and time switches. Someone be very nice to me and make a post on Mother's Day so I don't have three angry mothers growling that I forgot to call them. ,~_~, !
[+]
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-05-04 16:58:31
Link | Citer | R

lol... I'll try, Liela. It's next Sunday the 10th, right? >.>

Post deleted by User.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-05-05 09:58:51
Link | Citer | R

Bring
Up
My
 Odin.Gaea
user:
By Odin.Gaea 2009-05-05 10:03:12
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

I pray for the day the USA goes "Orange". DST fails. Personally, I think everyone in the world should be on a Universal Time and learn to cope with what time of the day that is for them.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-05-05 10:05:33
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, that'd be nice tbh. Then we wouldn't have people thinking you're entering a zone an hour early or an hour late.
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-05-05 10:11:09
Link | Citer | R

Gaea said:
I pray for the day the USA goes "Orange". DST fails. Personally, I think everyone in the world should be on a Universal Time and learn to cope with what time of the day that is for them.

I'd be down for that, I've got no issues with the whole world reverting to GMT onry.

Liela said:
This is a nice post. I forget everything, including birthdays and anniversaries and time switches. Someone be very nice to me and make a post on Mother's Day so I don't have three angry mothers growling that I forgot to call them. ,~_~, !

3? O_o
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-05-05 10:14:29
Link | Citer | R

Biological, Adopted, and In-law?
 Garuda.Antipika
Serveur: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-05-05 10:15:19
Link | Citer | R

Gaea said:
Personally, I think everyone in the world should be on a Universal Time and learn to cope with what time of the day that is for them.

When some NA themselves are unable to convert correctly PST<>CST<>EST that's a bit optimistic :]

Also no more 12hour system would be nice, cause that's prolly the most HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE thing ever. A day is *** 24 hours, why use AM/PM ? Makes things even more complicated for everyone.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-05-05 10:17:47
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, seriously... 7pm is not 0700. And 2000 is not 10pm... Though really.. Unless ALL of our clocks and watches actually followed the 24hr "Military Time" cycle, most people wouldn't know what time it was.
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2009-05-05 10:18:38
Link | Citer | R

OMG the teachers are out to get us! Enough with the education i tell you!
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Serveur: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-05-05 10:22:57
Link | Citer | R

Antipika said:
Gaea said:
Personally, I think everyone in the world should be on a Universal Time and learn to cope with what time of the day that is for them.

When some NA themselves are unable to convert correctly PST<>CST<>EST that's a bit optimistic :]

Also no more 12hour system would be nice, cause that's prolly the most HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE thing ever. A day is *** 24 hours, why use AM/PM ? Makes things even more complicated for everyone.

Yeah we told someone in my LS that we had shiki ToD and it was at like 8pm PST and his answer was "Sorry thats 5 my time(EST) so I will just be leaving work."

/facepalm
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-05 10:23:10
Link | Citer | R

I liked this. You know how many times I've told someone a time and there like um so when is that in game? Yeah pretty much anytime I'm talking with EU players. And alot of Us players especially the ones that don't still practice this outdated system that no longer serves the purpose it was created for.
 Garuda.Antipika
Serveur: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-05-05 10:24:38
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:
Yeah, seriously... 7pm is not 0700. And 2000 is not 10pm... Though really.. Unless ALL of our clocks and watches actually followed the 24hr "Military Time" cycle, most people wouldn't know what time it was.

Confusion comes with midnight/noon. Going from 11.59am to 12.00pm makes no sense to anyone who lives in a country where 24hr system is used (90% of the World). Not to mention that to apply an offset while using UTC, it's way easier to do it with 24 hours clock than 12 hours.

To avoid confusion I give relative time, so it works with HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE people. Instead of saying "we have [insert event here] at [x.xx AM/PM]" I'd just use in [number of hours from now].
First Page 2