Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » Fast Cast and Recast on Utsu
Fast Cast and Recast on Utsu
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-09-26 10:20:45
Link | Citer | R

Precasting the mantle and midcasting the earring do nothing.

Athos's Chapeau is not 5% fast cast as was stated above; BGwiki currently lists it as 2% fast cast.
 Lye
By Lye 2012-09-26 12:34:03
Link | Citer | R

I found instacast to be counter productive as it eff's up my cancel plugin.
Basically, the delay on my ichi cancels is such that I'm protected with my last shadow until the last possible second. Thus, if insta-cast procs, my fresh ichi shadows are cancelled.

Has anyone found a way around that?
 Leviathan.Kincard
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-09-26 19:00:38
Link | Citer | R

Quote:

Yeah, but not like there's other fast cast/haste stuff to stick in those slots so I was lazy and just posted one set. =P

I guess we can set aside Hasty Pinion potentially having use depending on what kind of gear they add in the future.

Quote:
Basically, the delay on my ichi cancels is such that I'm protected with my last shadow until the last possible second. Thus, if insta-cast procs, my fresh ichi shadows are cancelled.

Honestly, since I've gotten the cast time stuff I haven't bothered keeping a shadow for Ichi anymore, because I can usually land it without it. Also, how do you guys deal with being in Abyssea if quick magic is screwing you up? Atma of Apoc gives 15% of the stuff.
By Aeyela 2012-09-26 19:07:03
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Kincard said: »
Also, how do you guys deal with being in Abyssea if quick magic is screwing you up? Atma of Apoc gives 15% of the stuff.

I've found the majority of things I fight in Abyssea rarely, if ever, work through the four shadows ichi provides. I typically only use Ichi and save Ni for AoEs. For those rare occasions where I have to cast ichi over ni and apoc kicks in, I just cast ichi again and deal with it. It's really a small price to pay to have instant ichi kick in occasionally in emergencies as well as having infinite Reraise III!
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-09-26 19:11:31
Link | Citer | R

I precast in AF3 feet and have a rule in my spellcast that cancels shadows if I attempt to cast Utsusemi while already casting a spell. There's no way to effectively automate quick magic handling, Spellcast just isn't set up for that sort of thing.
By Aeyela 2012-09-26 19:15:22
Link | Citer | R

That's pretty much it. There isn't a way of dealing with it in macros, spellcast or even concentration. If apoc kicks in and you have Ni shadows on, Ichi will fail and there's nothing we can do about it. It's annoying, but worth it for the benefits Apoc provides.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-09-26 19:29:51
Link | Citer | R

Well, technically that is a macro since it's just taking advantage of the Utsu macro my finger is already on. It's just allowing me to use Utsusemi as both a casting trigger and a cancel command rather than having to make room on my palette or set up a new keybind.
 Lye
By Lye 2012-09-26 21:47:25
Link | Citer | R

Quote:

Yeah, but not like there's other fast cast/haste stuff to stick in those slots so I was lazy and just posted one set. =P

I guess we can set aside Hasty Pinion potentially having use depending on what kind of gear they add in the future.

Quote:

Honestly, since I've gotten the cast time stuff I haven't bothered keeping a shadow for Ichi anymore, because I can usually land it without it. Also, how do you guys deal with being in Abyssea if quick magic is screwing you up? Atma of Apoc gives 15% of the stuff.

Ah... I use "Atma of the Savior" since I'm not trying to outdo anyone and have a whm mule with arise.
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-09-27 04:20:09
Link | Citer | R

Eh, I dunno, I still don't think it's really needed to keep up a shadow for Ichi like we used to because 15% fast cast plus -10% from the beads means ~3s cast time on ichi (dunno if the beads are additive or multiplicative with FC), which IIRC is lower than the delay of most monsters. Actually I remember being able to get ichi off without FC on normal-delay monsters (stuff that's not fast like Puks or Colibri etc) if you timed it right.

And even if you do run into a fast-hitter, there's issekigan. It's not 100%, but you're already getting the odds pretty low- about as low as the chance you'll get a lame DA that interrupts you, anyway, IMO.
By Aeyela 2012-09-27 05:18:03
Link | Citer | R

There isn't much in Abyssea that resists Hojo, either.
 Asura.Julto
Serveur: Asura
user: Julto
By Asura.Julto 2012-09-27 06:17:58
Link | Citer | R

I know I'm coming in late to this, but I wanted to add my 2 gil.

Iga Hakama +2 and Yonin are very helpful. I wish I could count the number of times I've countered an attack and got off my shadows. I know it's not 100% but I've seen several counters. I TP in Koga Hakama +2 and cast in Iga until the spell completes and return to Koga.
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-09-27 07:23:39
Link | Citer | R

I guess even if it was only 5% it'd be about as useful as the evasion from Ocelot assuming you like casting in those.

I think Gnarled Horn gives like 30% by itself?
 Asura.Julto
Serveur: Asura
user: Julto
By Asura.Julto 2012-09-27 07:28:46
Link | Citer | R

I'd be surprised if Gnarled Horn was that high of percentage. I tend to use AoA/RazRuin/SangScythe more often.

Without Gnarled Horn, I'm still seeing a good number of counters. Even while casting Ni.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-09-27 13:36:50
Link | Citer | R

I guess even if it was only 5% it'd be about as useful as the evasion from Ocelot assuming you like casting in those.

I think Gnarled Horn gives like 30% by itself?
GH is 10% counter iirc.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2012-09-30 17:46:48
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
Precast:

Midcast:

Am I missing anything? This would be the latest and greatest no?

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »

Athos's Chapeau is not 5% fast cast as was stated above; BGwiki currently lists it as 2% fast cast.

Ok... this looks to be "the best" utsu pre/end cast sets.

Pre-Cast: (insta-cast and cast speed are the only factors)
Katana 10%
Head 2%
Body 5%
Neck 10%
Hands 4%
Ring 2%
Ear 2%
Feet 4% (if you are lucky like that)
Ammo + ring + ear = 6% insta-cast

~39% casting time reduction and a 6% chance to insta-cast

Mid-Cast: (spell recast reduction is the only factor here)
Katana 5%
Head 6%
Body 4%
Back (-1 off recast w/e that means, 1 second?)
Neck 2.5%
Hands 4%
Waist 6%
Ear 1%
Ring 1%
Legs 4%
Feet 4%

36.5% total recast reduction and maybe another second off from the back, that is just in gear alone. Fast cast that we can equip should get us another ~10% or so reduction off of gear reduction strictly through haste. That is pretty cool.

Interesting note, if you wanted to add Koga hands into your mid-cast set, you will gain 1% to your recast time over Thaumas, but gain NTE....

Anything I am missing at this point? That is very impressive recast.

With just /rdm you are looking at a 54% casting time reduction and 44% recast reduction.

20% from marches a conservative estimate and another 15% haste spell puts our new recast down to... ~79% recast....

I think we can hit the recast cap now fellas, if your bard is above average at all then we can prolly omit some spells.
 Odin.Eikechi
Serveur: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-09-30 17:57:04
Link | Citer | R

How often do you /rdm on nin though when you already have a brd or whm with you?
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2012-09-30 18:00:51
Link | Citer | R

Eh... IDK lol

Just the only way to get us that high is with /rdm. Even w/o subbing RDM we are still reaching incredible numbers now. Also this gear set with /rdm has nice benefits aside from utsusemi. Migawari comes to mind, as well as some defensive features.

Being able to cast that fast and have such low recasts, makes a magey type setup for ninja that much cooler too.

I am just pointing out what is possible, again, not just what is plausible is all.

edit: this set just make /rdm a decent tool in the ol tool box for ninjas, even if it is just relegated to solo/duo/trio uses. It has uses.
 Odin.Eikechi
Serveur: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-09-30 18:16:07
Link | Citer | R

dat -en spell ninja dmg? lol OK, if that's the case and you were just simply what is possible as opposed to useful, by all means lol.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2012-10-03 18:35:07
Link | Citer | R

By the way if you do wanna spin the wheel, I have never gleed like a school girl more playing on fodder and higher jobs spamming spells, with a beefy jin set, MAB main hand katana and Hochomasamune off hand ;p.

But I had my mule on bard double march along at the time, and well, ***just looks flashy ;p

I suppose now a Shun set will do the trick as well.

I have done some abyssea NMs on it too that is fun times, GH SS Atma of Ascension with movement etc. it's a game mang, have fun with it.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [86 days between previous and next post]
 Phoenix.Hawkhellfire
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Hawkhellfire 2012-12-28 08:34:55
Link | Citer | R

I'm curious why you put athos as the best pre-cast head when you could augment the anwig salade with fast cast +5. Wouldn't that be better then fast cast +2%?
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-12-28 08:41:35
Link | Citer | R

It's true that it can be made into the best pre-cast head if you do that, but I think it's a bit of a waste to use the Anwig Salade just to cut my Utsusemi: Ichi's cast time by 0.12 seconds given the other things you can do with it.
 Cerberus.Sephrin
Serveur: Cerberus
user: xSephrinx
By Cerberus.Sephrin 2012-12-28 08:41:47
Link | Citer | R

Something along the lines that Fast Cast +5 only affects casting time while "Enhances Fast Cast" also affects recast.

I think that's how it goes.
 Cerberus.Sephrin
Serveur: Cerberus
user: xSephrinx
By Cerberus.Sephrin 2012-12-28 08:42:22
Link | Citer | R

What Kincard said, yeah. lol
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2013-01-08 20:01:51
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Sephrin said: »
Something along the lines that Fast Cast +5 only affects casting time while "Enhances Fast Cast" also affects recast.

I think that's how it goes.

This is not true I was corrected about it in this thread.