Fellow North Carolinian Voters ...

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » fellow North Carolinian voters ...
fellow North Carolinian voters ...
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Serveur: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2011-09-14 15:16:22
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
From previous conversations I thought I had read that you were agnostic.

I guess I don't understand why you bring up common-law marriage. You weren't legally married so of course you couldn't claim the tax benefits.

I am agnostic. I was responding to what Valflux said since he pegged me as being religious.

Well, co-habitation is co-habitation. Just saying...
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-09-14 15:18:31
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
From previous conversations I thought I had read that you were agnostic. I guess I don't understand why you bring up common-law marriage. You weren't legally married so of course you couldn't claim the tax benefits.
I am agnostic. I was responding to what Valflux said since he pegged me as being religious. Well, co-habitation is co-habitation. Just saying...
You could co-habitate with anyone... Unless I'm misunderstanding this somehow?
 Cerberus.Wojo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Wojo
By Cerberus.Wojo 2011-09-14 15:20:41
Link | Citer | R

I am agnostic.

I might see you in hell then.

[+]
 Valefor.Rainbowbright
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Rainbowbright 2011-09-14 15:22:55
Link | Citer | R

Can anyone even give a good reason as to why LGBT should not be allowed to marry?

Contrary to popular current opinions of love/taxes/equality.. the sole purpose of marriage (in the most basic to-the-point terms) was a "civilized/human" celebration of the commitment of 2 heterosexuals to have children together - period. This is the norm and the standard of the human history of marriage.

Any other marital event (childless couples, marriages for financial/citizenship convenience/etc) are the exception and not the norm of marriage.

This is why the concept of same sex marriages don't match what marriage actually is the time tested historical perspective of marriage. Marriage isn't something you arbitrarily change to match current faddish views.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-09-14 15:24:34
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Rainbowbright said: »
Can anyone even give a good reason as to why LGBT should not be allowed to marry?
Contrary to popular current opinions of love/taxes/equality.. the sole purpose of marriage (in the most basic to-the-point terms) was a "civilized/human" celebration of the commitment of 2 heterosexuals to have children together - period. This is the norm and the standard of the human history of marriage. Any other marital event (childless couples, marriages for financial/citizenship convenience/etc) are the exception and not the norm of marriage. This is why the concept of same sex marriages don't match what marriage actually is the time tested historical perspective of marriage. Marriage isn't something you arbitrarily change to match current faddish views.
What about heterosexual couples that are married without ever having the intention of having children? I mean it doesn't match up but they are still allowed to partake.
 Odin.Liela
Serveur: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-09-14 15:25:32
Link | Citer | R

Contrary to popular current opinions of love/taxes/equality.. the sole purpose of marriage (in the most basic to-the-point terms) was a "civilized/human" celebration of the commitment of 2 heterosexuals to have children together - period. This is the norm and the standard of the human history of marriage.

Any other marital event (childless couples, marriages for financial/citizenship convenience/etc) are the exception and not the norm of marriage.

This is why the concept of same sex marriages don't match what marriage actually is the time tested historical perspective of marriage. Marriage isn't something you arbitrarily change to match current faddish views.

Then what about all the people who have children out of wedlock? Or people like my husband and I, who are married but don't plan to have children? Would you say people like us or unwed parents should have fewer rights in terms of marriage?

Edit: Flavin beat me! :-)

Childless or not, we still have rights. And gay or not, we should all have rights. Marriage hasn't been just about kids for a long, long time. And if gay couples wanted children, there should be no reason whatsoever why they couldn't adopt.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-09-14 15:29:27
Link | Citer | R

In the end I don't get why people care so much that this group of people be denied the right. I mean its not like marraige is sacred here in the states as we have a divorce rate above 50% and multiple remarraiges (In catholicism unless your spouse dies they do not recognize being married more than once). I just don't it....
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-09-14 15:30:29
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Liela said: »
Contrary to popular current opinions of love/taxes/equality.. the sole purpose of marriage (in the most basic to-the-point terms) was a "civilized/human" celebration of the commitment of 2 heterosexuals to have children together - period. This is the norm and the standard of the human history of marriage. Any other marital event (childless couples, marriages for financial/citizenship convenience/etc) are the exception and not the norm of marriage. This is why the concept of same sex marriages don't match what marriage actually is the time tested historical perspective of marriage. Marriage isn't something you arbitrarily change to match current faddish views.
Then what about all the people who have children out of wedlock? Or people like my husband and I, who are married but don't plan to have children? Would you say people like us or unwed parents should have fewer rights in terms of marriage? Edit: Flavin beat me! :-)
That is a lie I never beat you!!! you'll never catch me alive coppers!!
[+]
 Odin.Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-09-14 15:32:18
Link | Citer | R

Lol! You beat me by like 4 seconds! I have a black eye to prove it!

*bangs head against desk for black eye*
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Serveur: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2011-09-14 15:32:52
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Wojo said: »

I am agnostic.

I might see you in hell then.

I hope they serve beer there!
 Cerberus.Irohuro
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2011-09-14 15:34:02
Link | Citer | R

Marriage isn't something you arbitrarily change to match current faddish views.

so the acceptance of homosexuals as human beings that deserve equal rights is a 'fad'?
[+]
 Phoenix.Nihilist
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Nihilist
By Phoenix.Nihilist 2011-09-14 15:46:51
Link | Citer | R

I feel that having the "If you don't like it, don't do it" attitude when dealing with people that are not for the rights of LGBT community isn't enough... You should just figure out why they foam at the mouth about this... I think it's not about the laws anymore or traditions, its the act of homosexuality itself... If people would just accept that it's not a choice and that it's genetics then we woudln't be having this conversation... Then again no one listens to scientific facts anymore..
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2011-09-14 15:47:15
Link | Citer | R

In the end I don't get why people care so much that this group of people be denied the right. I mean its not like marraige is sacred here in the states as we have a divorce rate above 50% and multiple remarraiges (In catholicism unless your spouse dies they do not recognize being married more than once). I just don't it....

Well, there's always the option of anullment which is fairly easily done, where they pretend it never happened at all. Just like they handle child molestation cases, too. And other less-than-savory events throughout their history.

I agree with you, though. It's not like marriage isn't a giant farce to most people who get married in this country anyhow. Especially when you consider -- on top of the already ludicrously high divorce rate -- the amount of couples that stay together where one (or both) of the spouses is cheating on their partner anyhow.
 Bahamut.Weasel
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Weasel
By Bahamut.Weasel 2011-09-15 22:47:00
Link | Citer | R

I wish America would just make it legal nationwide and get it over with so that people can move on from this debate. It's so metally draining and pointless and I can't take it anymore. The longer this draws out, the more frustrating it becomes. They legalized it here in Canada a while back. Comparitavely speaking, the process was not insanely long and arduous. Yes, there was drama. Today, years later, no one gives a ***. Ultra-conservative people found something else to get worked up about because they discovered that life goes the *** on.
 Odin.Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-09-15 22:49:21
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Asura.Kellzie
Serveur: Asura
user: Kellz
By Asura.Kellzie 2011-09-15 22:54:24
Link | Citer | R

This made me laugh.

Point is, if two people truly love each other and are willing to progress as a couple it should be applauded.NO MATTER WHAT GENDER THEY PREFER.

Anyways, marriage has become a fad to be fair. As it seems like a joke with so many divorces, adultery and so forth. There's nothing sacred about it.
 Bahamut.Weasel
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Weasel
By Bahamut.Weasel 2011-09-15 22:54:59
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kellzie said: »
This made me laugh.
Same here!
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-09-15 22:56:28
Link | Citer | R

Oh Liela you and your silly pics, they slay me lol.