The Test Server and You: A Guide
First Page 2 ... 11 12 13
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-08-29 08:23:40
Link | Citer | R

Understandably, some confusion may be drawn from the process you must go through to use the FFXI Test Server. This thread is meant to alleviate that confusion.

I. Applying for Tester Status
Before you can use the test server, you must first apply. The application may be found at the following page: Test Server Application Form

*Note: You may experience problems with the application process if you do not log out then log back in to your Square Enix account via the forums. I also recommend that you clear your cookies/cache.

The application process is fairly straight forward. Just choose which character you wish to apply with, (to select a character, click the "star" in the upper left corner of that character's bar), and away you go. You will not be able to change this character later, so be sure to use one that you really want. Please note, there are requirements for application:

-You must have at least one level 90 job.
-You must have every expansion and add-on scenario registered to your account.
-You must be using the new billing system.

II. Downloading and Installing the Test Server Client
Pending your successful application into the test server, you will be required to manually download and install a special, separate client to access it. The download links for the files you will need are here (I recommend using one of the Download Managers that Flionheart has linked to in the first post below this one to download these files):

NA:
http://wdl.square-enix.com/ffxi/preview/US/A11203W_001.zip
http://wdl.square-enix.com/ffxi/preview/US/FFXITC.zip
http://wdl.square-enix.com/ffxi/preview/US/FFXITC2.zip
http://wdl.square-enix.com/ffxi/preview/US/FFXITC3.zip

EU:
http://wdl.square-enix.com/ffxi/preview/EU/U11204W_001.zip
http://wdl.square-enix.com/ffxi/preview/EU/FFXITC.zip
http://wdl.square-enix.com/ffxi/preview/EU/FFXITC2.zip
http://wdl.square-enix.com/ffxi/preview/EU/FFXITC3.zip

1) Download the 4 zip files for your region
2) Extract the four files to a temporary folder of your choice, separately.
3) Run the setup.exe from the A11203W_001 or U11204W_001 zip
4) When the installation is complete, navigate to the installation folder for the Final Fantasy XI Test Client (C:\Program Files(x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\Final Fantasy XI Test Client) and move the files contained inside of the ffxi folder generated by the other 3 zip files into the Test Client folder. Be sure that you're moving ALL of the files from EVERY folder labelled as "ffxi". Overwrite any files that you are prompted to overwrite.

III. Accessing the Test Server
Now that you've got your client installed, it's time to get down to the crux of it all. Open PlayOnline normally, (note that Windower will NOT work at this time), and log in. When you reach the FFXI splash screen, you'll notice a button labelled "Play on Test Server," click this button. When the game launches you'll find the character that you applied with on the character select screen.

IV. Once You're In
Now that you're in, you get to play around a bit before you start your testing. When you enter your mog house you'll notice two visitors to your abode that aren't normally around.

=TEST= Porter
This moogle functions just like a normal porter moogle.

=Test= Moogle GM
This is the fun one. Using this moogle you can augment your character in most of the ways that you've always wanted to.

-Change Parameters: This option will allow you to access several others, including editing your main job level (enter a number between 1 and 95 and it will set your job level accordingly), resetting your JA timers, obtaining merit points (this will automatically max out your merit points, allowing you to spend them in any way you wish), the ability to learn all spells and rolls as well as gain access to every puppetmaster attatchment, and the ability to unlock every job and support job.

-Teleport to key locations: This does exactly what it says it does. It will allow you to teleport to every major city/town as well as every outpost.

-Warp to home point: Warps you to your home point.

-Receive items: This one is slightly buggy in the English versions of the client. Each category offers you what they say they do, however, in order to access the list that you want, you'll have to click on the option above it. This is due to a known bug in the client. For instance, to access the "Weapons" list, you'll have to click on "Select an item category."

-Obtain 100,000,000 gil: Gives you 100,000,000gil.

There doesn't appear to be any limit to this moogle's functions per character, so go to town!

V. Changing Your Graphics Settings
Rather than playing FFXI for the Magnavox Odyssey, let's go ahead and fix your resolution and switch to windowed mode, along with other tweaks. More advanced users have already found the registry for the test client, but odds are they aren't using this guide to begin with, so I'll assume you aren't one of those people.

For you guys, we'll use the FFXI Config Tool. You can not use the same config tool that you normally use for FFXI to tamper with your Test Client settings. The Test Client adds a brand new Config tool for your perusal, located in your Test Client directory. (C:\Program Files(x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\Final Fantasy XI Test Client\ToolsUS(or EU if you're from EU!)\FFXI Config)

The settings are the same as they are for the normal game, so go nuts. The only important ones are the background and overlay resolutions, as well as turning windowed mode on or off. The rest is personal preference, and there's already a fine guide for graphics on FFXIclopedia.

VI. FAQ
Questions that are asked will be put here.

Hopefully that helps people out, and gets rid of any confusion there may have been pertaining to the usage of the test server. Feel free to ask any questions.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-29 08:25:22
Link | Citer | R

I'd like to point out that it's a good idea to download big files (100Mb+) with a download manager, lest they be corrupted when you finally access them.

Leviathan.Dreamx said: »
Fli, Would you mind putting a good file manager up so the OP can put it in as a prior download [Suggested]?

I find this to be a very useful guide to the players just trying to rush to get in to play godmode and complaining about things not working. Thank you :D

I use FDM (Free download Manager) But Jdownloader, Flashget and Download accelerator plus are also viable options.

FDM

Jdownloader

FlashGet

DAP
[+]
 Leviathan.Dreamx
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Dreamx 2011-08-29 09:00:43
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said: »
I'd like to point out that it's a good idea to download big files (100Mb+) with a download manager, lest they be corrupted when you finally access them.

Fli, Would you mind putting a good file manager up so the OP can put it in as a prior download [Suggested]?

I find this to be a very useful guide to the players just trying to rush to get in to play godmode and complaining about things not working. Thank you :D
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2011-08-29 09:41:28
Link | Citer | R

download Jdownloader (a download manager) to get these POL ffxi files, it's the best, free and no ads, uses low resources
 Ragnarok.Alcarin
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Alcarin 2011-08-29 09:51:03
Link | Citer | R

Hello, im trying to install everything but when i click on "Setup.exe" it will give me that message :
The PlayOnline Viewer has not been instelled.
Please install the PlayOnline Viewer before attempting to install
Final Fantasy XI Test Client..
but i have POL installed so what i shoul do?
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-29 09:53:04
Link | Citer | R

snip
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2011-08-29 10:05:45
Link | Citer | R

i followed the guide but it not working what exactly do i have to do to get this working?
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-08-29 10:07:41
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Ryanx said: »
i followed the guide but it not working what exactly do i have to do to get this working?
I think you should start with an actual explanation of the problem you're incurring to.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2011-08-29 10:09:32
Link | Citer | R

after i try to go in to game it goes full screen for a sec then a error messege pops up and then my PC freezes up then i have to restart my computer
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-29 10:10:38
Link | Citer | R

Uninstall and re-install the files.

A few people have had this error, and that fixed it. It should take 10 minutes to do.

snip
 Fenrir.Niniann
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Ninian
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-08-29 10:11:24
Link | Citer | R

Are you on vanilla POL? Otherwise your files could be corrupt.
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2011-08-29 10:15:08
Link | Citer | R

this is confuseing why cant it be just download and install insted of placeing files in right spot kinda HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE
 Ramuh.Laffter
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2011-08-29 10:16:04
Link | Citer | R

this is confuseing why cant it be just download and install insted of placeing files in right spot kinda HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE
Computer is hard.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-29 10:20:08
Link | Citer | R

It is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. More evidence of SE having archaic systems. Most companies would come with an install manager instead of having to move files yourself.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2011-08-29 10:21:42
Link | Citer | R

know if anyone just posted the whole thing online so can just download and play?
 Midgardsormr.Sahagin
Serveur: Midgardsormr
user: Sahagin
By Midgardsormr.Sahagin 2011-08-29 10:22:12
Link | Citer | R

So you need to use/buy Crysta to register and partake in this?
I keep getting "You do not have any characters which meet the Admission." after accepting terms of agreement.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-29 10:22:29
Link | Citer | R

Doubt it yet. You'd still have to run the setup.exe anyway on your side.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-29 10:23:08
Link | Citer | R

Midgardsormr.Sahagin said: »
I keep getting "You do not have any characters which meet the Admission." after accepting terms of agreement.

Yes.

You need:

1) To have every expansion and mini expansion
2) To be on SE's new billing system
3) To have at least one level 90 character.
 Midgardsormr.Sahagin
Serveur: Midgardsormr
user: Sahagin
By Midgardsormr.Sahagin 2011-08-29 10:30:50
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said: »
Midgardsormr.Sahagin said: »

Yes.

You need:

1) To have every expansion and mini expansion
2) To be on SE's new billing system
3) To have at least one level 90 character.
Figured that was the only thing missing, don't know if I can be asked to use crysta.
Thanks anyway!
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Serveur: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-08-29 10:42:01
Link | Citer | R

Computer just locks up trying to download from FDM :(
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-29 10:42:29
Link | Citer | R

wat
 Fenrir.Skarwind
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-08-29 10:42:54
Link | Citer | R

Do you think this could be a good way to parse certain relic/mythic/empy more accurately?
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-08-29 10:43:32
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Kalilla said: »
Computer just locks up trying to download from FDM :(
SE knows you were mad at them for chillaxing on a sunday
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Serveur: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-08-29 10:44:59
Link | Citer | R

lol, when I start it it takes like 1 min to initialize, then i can view the rar contents, when i hit OK it has been (not responding) for 10 min, terminated process and tried it again, same thing.

Now just downloading the normal way~
 Fenrir.Skarwind
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-08-29 10:45:07
Link | Citer | R

"Emergency Maint. has been scheduled. We apologize for any inconvenience)

"Fixed an issue where a character could be server transferred from the test server with max gil"

Somebody try lol..
[+]
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2011-08-29 10:45:16
Link | Citer | R

woot finaly got it working but one of the moogles keeps on talking in japanese anyway to change that?
 Carbuncle.Lolserj
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Andras
By Carbuncle.Lolserj 2011-08-29 10:45:19
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Skarwind said: »
"Emergency Maint. has been scheduled. We apologize for any inconvenience)

"Fixed an issue where a character could be server transferred from the test server with max gil"

wat
 Ramuh.Yarly
Serveur: Ramuh
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2011-08-29 10:46:31
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Emanuelle said: »

download Jdownloader (a download manager) to get these POL ffxi files, it's the best, free and no ads, uses low resources

It's a java program, no they don't use low resources.. but it is a good downloading program indeed.
 Fenrir.Niniann
user: Ninian
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-08-29 10:47:46
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Skarwind said: »
Do you think this could be a good way to parse certain relic/mythic/empy more accurately?

Yes, I'd say so. Especially since you (I assume) have access to everything?
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-29 10:50:39
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Kalilla said: »
lol, when I start it it takes like 1 min to initialize, then i can view the rar contents, when i hit OK it has been (not responding) for 10 min, terminated process and tried it again, same thing.

Now just downloading the normal way~

I wouldn't suggest it, but if you want.
First Page 2 ... 11 12 13