Amnesia: The Dark Descent
First Page 2
 Bismarck.Veruna
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Veruna
By Bismarck.Veruna 2011-05-28 00:14:41
Link | Citer | R

Just finished downloading this off Steam. I've seen a couple of the trailers so I thought I'd give it a shot. Played maybe five minutes of it so far and it's already giving me the creeps. I'm trying to force myself playing through this only at night with the lights off. Not sure how far I'll get though. I'm one to scare and get my heart racing really easily so we'll see.

Has anyone else messed around with this game yet, or maybe might try after watching the videos?
 Fenrir.Enternius
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Enternius
By Fenrir.Enternius 2011-05-28 00:18:58
Link | Citer | R

Great game, though I think anyone around here that wanted to play it already has. We talk about it a lot.
 Bismarck.Veruna
By Bismarck.Veruna 2011-05-28 00:25:02
Link | Citer | R

Apparently so, haha. I didn't see anything along the lines of the game title on the front page, but search brings up a little bit lots of talk. :(

Edit: On a second look, most of the "amnesia" talk is the actual illness and discussing characters having it.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-05-28 00:42:39
Link | Citer | R

I still haven't finished it.. Call me a pussy or whatever, but actual scary games (things just jumping out at you is startling, not scary, Amnesia is about the atmosphere) take a lot out of me mentally and physically.. I already have anxiety issues, having it peak 5 times and lower again in an hour takes it's toll..

I got to the water part, and stopped and just never felt like getting back on, though I still have it and my save file when I finally do.
 Bismarck.Veruna
By Bismarck.Veruna 2011-05-28 00:52:30
Link | Citer | R

I've heard about this water part a couple times with people stopping at it.. Wonder if I'll make it that far.
 Fairy.Spence
Serveur: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2011-05-28 00:53:56
Link | Citer | R

Not gonna lie, I don't like scary games much :/

It doesn't look that interactive. Are those trailers a good representation of the gameplay?
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-05-28 00:59:20
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Spence said:

It doesn't look that interactive. Are those trailers a good representation of the gameplay?
Any trailer about Amnesia would pretty much miss the point.. I doubt a trailer could capture the essence, a lot of it is search everywhere for more matches/oil and parts of the story (journal entries) with the occasional having to find certain items to progress the story..

A lot of the game is simply exploring the area, at least in the beginning, I can't speak for anything passed the water part, as I haven't done it. The whole time during exploring 'things happen'.. Hear a sound, a sudden gust of wind, etc etc..

It's a lot different when you're watching something happen, and when you're actually inolved. I can watch the trailers and all the game play videos just fine, but when it comes to playing it, whole different experience.
 Bismarck.Veruna
By Bismarck.Veruna 2011-05-28 00:59:35
Link | Citer | R

The second video is pretty much the basic interaction. I haven't really gotten far in it myself. As far as I know all the interactions is finding things (to help you regain your memory?) and getting to where you need to go.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-05-28 01:07:19
Link | Citer | R

I only played the demo, and I'm not going to lie but the water part freaked me out. I don't scare easily, either.
 Leviathan.Alkalinejoe
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Alkalinejoe 2011-05-28 01:08:59
Link | Citer | R

I tried playing it and my head just hurt whenever the cam inverted. >___>

Didn't find it scary, just annoying. Granted, I'm not that far in.
By Artemicion 2011-05-28 01:10:11
Link | Citer | R

Obligatory

Bahamut.Serj
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-05-28 01:10:50
Link | Citer | R

Call of Cthulu wins for games that scared me sh--less. Seriously, the starting area of the town in the game made me lose it. Apparently if you do too much morphine and freak your character out too much, he just straight up kills himself.

Great game to give a try if you want to.

On the topic of this game, haven't tried it out yet, but have been meaning to. A good scare game is nice every so often.
 Fairy.Spence
Serveur: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2011-05-28 01:12:20
Link | Citer | R

Hahahaha

The subtitles make it so much better
 Bismarck.Veruna
By Bismarck.Veruna 2011-05-28 01:22:50
Link | Citer | R

I'm not going to watch too much of that video so I don't have it spoiled for me, however I feel like that's how I would probably react. There's another video from youtube of a guy playing through it, and I believe he is mentioned in the previous video as the "british guy". I'll link one of his videos that made me laugh.

<3 Bioshroom Videos.
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-05-28 01:26:10
Link | Citer | R

What happens if you uhhh, die?
By Artemicion 2011-05-28 01:28:15
Link | Citer | R

A thing to keep in mind when considering the game or playing it, is that it relies heavily on atmospheric and auditory ambiance as well as your mental immersion to the game within. If you are putting up mental wall of disappointment or expectations, you won't get the most out of the game. Similar to those who dislike portal for the simple fact that you don't blow ***up.

My recommendation, play alone, play at night or in the dark, and with headphones, and most importantly, just get involved with the game as if you were reading a favorite novel.
[+]
 Cerberus.Eugene
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-05-28 01:30:02
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Veruna said:
I've heard about this water part a couple times with people stopping at it.. Wonder if I'll make it that far.

You have a long way to go if you just got the water part. It is one of the more stressful parts of the game though, at least the second part of the first water part.

Fairy.Spence said:

I don't usually get frightened by games, but this one does a good job of creating an atmosphere. There is plenty of interaction with puzzles, but with enemies the whole point is you can't do anything to them.

I think the puzzles are really clever though and they were clear enough that you didn't have to stand around 20 minutes without any idea what to do and challenging enough to keep you entertained.

Sometimes, like the water part, you have to solve puzzles that aren't even clearly exist, but it is melded well into the game so you can figure them out anyway.
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-05-28 01:31:41
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Serj said:
What happens if you uhhh, die?
you have to play the section over again and face the same monsters that scared the crap out of you last time lol
 Bismarck.Veruna
By Bismarck.Veruna 2011-05-28 01:32:23
Link | Citer | R

I've stopped playing for tonight for one of the reasons you've just talked about Arte. I'm currently at my parents house in which I'm only using basic desktop speakers and a normal monitor. Granted I AM by myself and it's 1 A.M. right now, I feel like I can get more out of it back at my apartment with surround sound or 5.1 headset that I have there along with an HD monitor.
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-05-28 01:33:42
Link | Citer | R

Artemicion said:
A thing to keep in mind when considering the game or playing it, is that it relies heavily on atmospheric and auditory ambiance as well as your mental immersion to the game within. If you are putting up mental wall of disappointment or expectations, you won't get the most out of the game.

This ^+1. It's pretty lame if you're not trying to get into it, but the atmosphere can be catchy enough if you throw yourself into it that it's no walk in the park even with a second play-through. I definitely was worried a bit my second time through even though I knew where almost every mob was and I knew how to handle them.
 Bismarck.Veruna
By Bismarck.Veruna 2011-05-28 01:33:48
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Eugene said:
Bismarck.Veruna said:

You have a long way to go if you just got the water part. It is one of the more stressful parts of the game though, at least the second part of the first water part.

I've just barely started the game, so I'm probably no where even near the water-part itself! haha

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-05-28 01:37:42
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Veruna said:
Cerberus.Eugene said:
Bismarck.Veruna said:

I've just barely started the game, so I'm probably no where even near the water-part itself! haha

Yeah if you played about 5-10 mins you're probably just through the intro.

There are a few major areas to explore before you get to the water part, but it's not a terribly long game so it won't take you too long to get there.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-05-28 01:44:56
Link | Citer | R

Took me about an hour and a half to reach the water part I think.. That was thoroughly exploring (and being afraid to move for short periods of time)..

Also, you won't really encounter your first enemy til shortly before the water part.. Though you will hear them.
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-05-28 01:47:32
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Took me about an hour and a half to reach the water part I think.. That was thoroughly exploring (and being afraid to move for short periods of time)..

Don't say that! You'll ruin it! (the second part that I deleted)
By Eugene 2011-05-28 01:48:49
Link | Citer | R

Yeah they do kinda throw you into the deep end with the water part lol
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-05-28 01:51:26
Link | Citer | R

Eugene said:
Yeah they do kinda throw you into the deep end with the water part lol

I see what you did there!
 Quetzalcoatl.Sketchzter
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Sketchzter 2011-05-28 02:08:31
Link | Citer | R

The Penumbra series is also pretty great. It's by the same guys, and uses the same engine as Amnesia. That one actually has combat in it though, but it scares you all the same.
By Inuyasha 2011-05-28 02:18:29
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Artemicion said:
Obligatory
Probably one of my favorite game videos of all time~ HOLY ***I FOUND A BAG OF MILKY WAYSAHHH AHH AHHH AHHHHHHHHHH
I heard that part and couldnt determine wether it was him or one of his friends XD or if the crinkling of the bag was what suddenly scared the ***out of him XD

but either way...i want to download this game...and see what my friend does XD i know for a fact if i where to have played this game i would be dead XD
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-05-28 03:51:40
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Serj said:
Valefor.Slipispsycho said:

Don't say that! You'll ruin it! (the second part that I deleted)
I didn't ruin it.. If you don't go off exploring it doesn't take all that long to get to the water part, and the first monsters come before it..

Besides, shouldn't you be off singing?
First Page 2