Forum » FFXI » General » smn question
smn question
 Asura.Elvaton
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Elvaton
By Asura.Elvaton 2009-03-27 16:46:57
Link | Citer | R

i just unlocked smn and i really dont wanna raise my rep to 6 in all nations and was wondering would it be a big deal if i just waited till 20 to get the smns and wait longer for fenrir and diabolos
 Bahamut.Ziggz
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ziggz
By Bahamut.Ziggz 2009-03-27 17:08:29
Link | Citer | R

most of the time parties want you as a healer so they don't care what summons you have sadly. fenrir and diablos are a definate bonus in parties. Fenrir has dispel which is very useful without a rdm or brd in the party. he also has the stat boosts and such. i'm not sure about how useful diablos is cuz i rarely party with summoners and i'm far from being one, lol. all in all, i don't think that any party will "require" you to have them unless they are stuck up ***. it's just bonus points imo. but if you have a 75 job, at least attempt to get fenrir asap.
 Asura.Ktjrn
user:
By Asura.Ktjrn 2009-03-27 17:09:57
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

You can choose to unlock and get the avatars at level 20, but there is a small price to pay for doing that.

If you are successful in beating the avatars, then of course you can use them. However, in order to fight them again in the future, you will not be able to warp to the cloisters, you will need to walk to the cloisters and commence battle there(and believe me, walking in the den of rancor is a mission in itself :P )

I didn't get my fenny until 72 and I still haven't gotten diabolos (yeah i'm lazy i know) yet, but don't worry! :)

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! I'm sure there are a lot of other (and probably better) smns than I than can give you some really awesome advice

Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Don't forget, your summoning magic skill will suffer if you wait til LV20. :s It will really suck once you have to start soloing for EXP.

Its not really that difficult to raise fame - you just have to really want it.
Serveur: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-27 17:28:54
Link | Citer | R

Doing Millioncorn quest for Sandy/Bastok and Cornettes quest for Windy is pretty easy. I don't remember the exact figure, but the total outlay, after factoring in the reward for doing those quests, ain't bad at all, and the reward in getting cheaper vendor prices in the cities makes up for it in a big way, even outside of SMN concerns.

With the fact that there is a Nomad Moogle in Selbina now, it's pretty damn easy if you have a friend buy them and mail them all to you...only took about 2 hours for a friend to get from none to close to max fame with me mailing them all to him.
 Asura.Elvaton
user: Elvaton
By Asura.Elvaton 2009-03-27 17:32:35
Link | Citer | R

well i guess getting rep up isnt that hard but i dont wanna get those smns right away id rather play the job a little then do it

Edit: btw nice avatar lol
 Fairy.Mykoto
Serveur: Fairy
user: Mykoto
By Fairy.Mykoto 2009-03-27 18:11:09
Link | Citer | R

Aledacia said:
Don't forget, your summoning magic skill will suffer if you wait til LV20. :s It will really suck once you have to start soloing for EXP.

Could always use Carbuncle blood pacts to level summoning in the meanwhile :p

In anycase, I know a lot of smn's who waited till 20 to acquire the rest of their avatars, but I find it FAR more beneficial to just increase fame and do the bigger fights, because:

A. they're more fun
B. you can repeat them easily for 10k thereafter
C. you need to do them anyway in order to collect the whispers for Fenrir
D. Fenrir's an AWESEOME avatar to have starting out, I found he was the only one who did quasi-decent damage in the Dunes, with an added bonus of potentially blinding or paralyzing the target.

Fame's not that difficult to acquire either, just spam repeatable quests, they're easy as sin! Buy like 20 stacks of millioncorn from a vender in whitegate, and trade em 3 at a time to the sheep dude in Selbina, you'll increase your fame rank in both Sandy and Bastok by one rank a day, sooo easy! Of course the other nations have easy repeatable quests too :p
 Hades.Darkrift
Serveur: Hades
user: darkrift
By Hades.Darkrift 2009-03-27 18:43:51
Link | Citer | R

didnt read the posts above me, but IMO...

as long as you have the base avatars by level 20 your fine. 20-75 without diabolos and fenrir....

well 2-3 years ago people gave me ***for it, i didnt get a pt or 2 because of it, but i still hit lvl 75.

Although I say who cares... think about this.

You are a summoner, your job is to summon. Get all the summons as fast as you can.
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-27 18:45:49
Link | Citer | R

If you have RDM/NIN, you can solo all your basic avatars

Diabolos is basically a tool

Fenrir is godly towards the end

Gear up right, and you won't have to worry about perp costs at all

Merit right, and you don't have to worry about taking hate or giving TP