Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Minecraft+Hamachi+Firewall = no go
Minecraft+Hamachi+Firewall = no go
 Fenrir.Rinnsi
Serveur: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Rinnsi
By Fenrir.Rinnsi 2011-05-08 20:50:25
Link | Citer | R

I posted this on the main minecraft forums and they deleted it.. dunno why, i couldn't find the answer, and their search is broken? So, whatever. Anyway. I finally managed to make a server with Hamachi, problem is, people can't come unless the firewall is off completely (windows 7 32bit standard firewall) what exactly is blocking this? everything minecraft related is allowed thru.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Serveur: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-05-08 20:53:22
Link | Citer | R

why do you need hamachi for that anyways?
If you set up a server it's allready up for those people to join if you give them your IP >_>
 Fenrir.Rinnsi
By Fenrir.Rinnsi 2011-05-08 20:56:48
Link | Citer | R

something is blocked somewhere in my ISP not allowing me to make a server without hamachi, trust me, i spent weeks trying to get this ***to work >: Hamachi is the only answer for private server
 Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-05-08 20:57:20
Link | Citer | R

I had port forwarding issues with Minecraft myself.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Serveur: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-05-08 21:00:34
Link | Citer | R

why cant ISPs just leave the ports open...
so HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE -_-
But, it's kinda suprising that the one port you need for minecraft is closed, but you can play ffxi, which uses a massive amount of ports? =/
 Fenrir.Rinnsi
By Fenrir.Rinnsi 2011-05-08 21:02:15
Link | Citer | R

Meh, i have no idea, i spent forever, now it finally works, but only with firewall completely off... i'd rather not elave it down for days at a time, so my friends can play
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-05-08 21:02:46
Link | Citer | R

Just out of curiosity, have you tried using this instead of Hamachi? Maybe you'd have better luck with this one (it's free, despite having to add the service to cart or w/e, been awhile since I set it up).
 Fenrir.Rinnsi
By Fenrir.Rinnsi 2011-05-08 21:03:53
Link | Citer | R

does that work the same? i have no idea what Hamachi does, or why it works, when nothing else does
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-05-08 21:07:23
Link | Citer | R

I'm not really sure what Hamachi does or why it would work exactly, but it's a VPN, which is sort of along the same lines of what that link does (although, it's still different).

It's what I had to use to get my MC server up and running and open to outsiders.

Here's a tut to walk you through it

Quote:
The following video show you how to setup a """basic""" minecraft server without using any third party software Like hamachi:
( PS: i setup the server using a virtual machine , but u can use it on ur original OS )

1- Create an account on DYnDNS.com to get a dynamic dns to your machine
2- Create a host by clikcing on the "Add New Host" (follow the video)
3- download the dyndns updater and install
4- login using Your UserName & password of DYNDNS account
5- Click on Refresh IP
6- Click on "Start Updater"
7- Apply , and then OK

8- now its minecraft time:adjust the Config files of the server as per video
9- after server start ,open minecraft from any PC ( even over the net and login to the Server)
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-05-08 21:21:46
Link | Citer | R

Decided to add:

If that doesn't work, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head, is making sure whatever PC your server is running on has a Static IP and making sure the MC ports are forwarded on that Static IP (for instance if you chose 192.168.0.119 for the Static IP, you'd make sure the IP address the port is forwarded on is 192.168.0.119, opposed to just 192.168.0.1).
 Fenrir.Rinnsi
By Fenrir.Rinnsi 2011-05-08 21:32:17
Link | Citer | R

doesn't seem to be helping much either, getting the same issues, witout hamachi
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-05-08 21:37:51
Link | Citer | R

=/ Not sure then, there has to be something you're missing, because I don't have to have my firewall off to run a public server.

Windows 7 has a built in feature to allow remote connections between people, could have someone you trust that knows about these things connect and take a second look through all the settings to make sure they're right, or I could if you wanted.

Beyond that all I can really offer is double and triple checking every single setting in your firewall, and playing around with the settings, turning off things that sound like they might even remotely be the problem, or allowing things through that could somehow be connected, until you figure out exactly what it is that's stopping it.
 Fenrir.Rinnsi
By Fenrir.Rinnsi 2011-05-08 22:17:16
Link | Citer | R

servers need Upnp or whatever that is, and not be java, that too
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-05-08 22:55:40
Link | Citer | R

Well do you have Upnp enabled? If you do online gaming through your internet, it's almost definite it's enabled already, but never hurts to check (It'll be hiding in your router settings somewhere).

Oh, and have you tried hooking your PC up directly to the modem (bypassing the router) and seeing if the problem is still present? If it's not, there's something in your router blocking it. I'll keep posting ideas when I get them, but they're not exactly just free flowing at the second.
 Fenrir.Rinnsi
By Fenrir.Rinnsi 2011-05-08 23:10:33
Link | Citer | R

nah, havn't tried that, but getting hookdup to the modem is a pain in the *** in my house.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-05-08 23:17:30
Link | Citer | R

Well it could help you figure out if the problem is router settings or windows/firewall settings.
 Sylph.Oddin
Serveur: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2011-05-09 00:58:02
Link | Citer | R

You can port forward through the router/modem. Go here and pick your router model from the list then click skip advertisement at the top of the next page. Scroll down and find Minecraft server then click it and it'll show in detail how to port forward your modem/router for a Minecraft specific server.
 Fenrir.Rinnsi
By Fenrir.Rinnsi 2011-05-09 09:52:37
Link | Citer | R

tried all this, didn't seem to work