Gaming Moments That Scared You

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Gaming Moments That Scared You
Gaming Moments That Scared You
First Page 2 3 4 5
By Artemicion 2011-04-26 05:10:55
Link | Citer | R

Okay folks, it's time to put on your nostalgia hats and recap moments in your video gaming career that legitimately frightened you.
And I'm not talking about being startled by having a zombie jump out of nowhere and bite you in the neck. I mean something that gave you a lingering sense of dread and terror educing anticipation.

For me, I remember getting to the very end of Earthbound and having the ambiance in combination to how complex and disturbing the concept of which the final boss epitomized, it truly scared me for being roughly 8 years old. Even at nearly age 24, it leaves me in a rather unsettling disposition.

Those trumpets... You don't know whether to feel triumphant or nervous of what has yet to come.
The fact that it's the only instrument played, followed by an eerie echo and silence is indeed unsettling.

Upon entering a plane of existence that mortals alone cannot cross, your characters must enter as robots. Only then will you be able to traverse across what perfectly symbolizes Purgatory to reach the cosmic destroyer and corrupter known as Giygas

Giygas, a creature so terrifying and evil that it devours it's own mind out of its will to consume all life and space therein. Mocking you by mirroring your character's likeness in appearance. Then showing its true form as what appears to be a twisted and terrifying face of a beast or alien, or even a human fetus depending on your perspective viewing. Followed by wails of agony and how much it relishes it, while simultaneously devouring light along with your hope and prayers.
[+]
 Sylph.Liltrouble
Serveur: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-04-26 05:25:39
Link | Citer | R

I don't remember which one in the series it was (it's been a few years) but there was a ps2 Resident evil game (4 maybe?) that scared the crap out of me, lol. It had the dude with the chainsaw. Oh, and then there's the Ps2 game taking pictures of ghosts...
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
By Artemicion 2011-04-26 05:54:40
Link | Citer | R

Runner ups for me include Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Parasite Eve.
Both games are quite twisted and bring a great sense of dread and foreboding.
 Ragnarok.Slade
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Slade 2011-04-26 05:55:18
Link | Citer | R

[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-04-26 06:03:38
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Btw.. I'm gonna look at Amnesia sometime..

and if it's not as scary as all you *** hype it up to be I'm going to come back bitching you're all pussies.

Mostly because I KEEP hearing how "OMG SCARY" it is. So it better be. lol
Your avatar is scary
By Artemicion 2011-04-26 06:03:52
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Btw.. I'm gonna look at Amnesia sometime..

and if it's not as scary as all you *** hype it up to be I'm going to come back bitching you're all pussies.

Mostly because I KEEP hearing how "OMG SCARY" it is. So it better be. lol

It is. But you have to have the right mindset. If you're putting up a wall in your ego while you play, it's going to leave a disappointing effect. However, if you leave your mind, imagination and vulnerability open, it is legitimately spooky and disheartening. Also headphones are mandatory, as the game is heavily auditory, and speakers frankly don't do it justice.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Yuzumoo
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Yuzuchan
By Bismarck.Yuzumoo 2011-04-26 06:19:09
Link | Citer | R

Makes me laugh when I watched it now, but this genuinely scared me when I played it years ago. I never did get past it either.. hmm XD

I also find the original version of the Fire Temple music in OOT to be rather unsettling.
[+]
By Artemicion 2011-04-26 06:24:12
Link | Citer | R

Good call Yuzumoo.
And Shadow Temple.... that is all.
[+]
 Bismarck.Yuzumoo
By Bismarck.Yuzumoo 2011-04-26 06:36:56
Link | Citer | R

Another one that comes to mind is Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven, Ayame's Cemetery mission. I can't find a video, but it was just awful ._. I spent weeks on that. (Kept turning the game off anytime I got scared lol ;;)

Oddly enough, I really enjoyed the shadow temple.. though the hands coming down from the ceiling were pretty scary.
By Artemicion 2011-04-26 06:39:47
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Yuzumoo said:
Another one that comes to mind is Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven, Ayame's Cemetery mission. I can't find a video, but it was just awful ._. I spent weeks on that. (Kept turning the game off anytime I got scared lol ;;)

Oddly enough, I really enjoyed the shadow temple.. though the hands coming down from the ceiling were pretty scary.

I got frightened and pissed off at those, cause my TV was so dark with it's poor contrast, I could never see that shadow above me warning me about the hand. So I'd stand still for 2 seconds, only to get nabbed and dragged back to the entrance lol.
 Bismarck.Yuzumoo
By Bismarck.Yuzumoo 2011-04-26 06:44:01
Link | Citer | R

I think they first appeared in the Forest Temple. I always had my din's fire handy and would just burn them D:<

And I did end up finding the Tenchu mission video XD

All this is making me want to go back and play it again.
By Artemicion 2011-04-26 06:45:36
Link | Citer | R

Also, Chrono Trigger. This game is so badass it lets you swallow a full blown cutscene showing the results of your failure, thus causing the end of civilization and the world itself, followed by a sullen epilogue and the skin crawling shriek of Lavos.

Not so much scary as it is disturbing and gut-wrenching.
That ending, if you even want to call it that, was indeed hard to swallow.

Also I should look into playing Tenchu again. All I remember is it was hard as hell, and I raged quit before I even got to the good parts of the game. I think I have a lot more patience now than I did as a pre-teen lol.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-04-26 06:46:29
Link | Citer | R

Facing Lu Bu for the first time ever (for me it was Dynasty Warriors 3)

Don't Pursue Lu Bu.....

I understood what they meant after getting one-shotted.
[+]
 Bismarck.Yuzumoo
By Bismarck.Yuzumoo 2011-04-26 06:54:25
Link | Citer | R

Re-watching videos, people make it look so easy. They were really difficult though ._. I probably had more patience back then too.

Oh, and back to Zelda OOT.. once you become older Link, was it really necessary to fill the market with humping zombies? I was too paranoid to just run by them so I always had to play the sun song lol ; ;
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Serveur: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-04-26 07:03:57
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Yuzumoo said:
humping zombies

my kryptonite

d1/d2 never managed to ever "scare" me oddly enough, though did gross me out at first as i'd run by all the gruesomely-destroyed corpses, specifically in the sanctuary in act 1 of d2 DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD::::::::::::::::
[+]
By Artemicion 2011-04-26 07:23:28
Link | Citer | R

Thanks for contributing everyone.
Time I get some sleep while there's still a reasonable amount of time before my work shift. Hopefully we'll see some more input and ideas later today.

Also not exactly a "scary" game, but it definitely left me in absolute awe countless times.
Arguably one of the best PS2 games ever.

Hey, what's with this strangely shaped boulder?....(looks up)
"....oh, ***."
[+]
 Cerberus.Kalyna
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-04-26 07:27:19
Link | Citer | R

Sima Yi's creepy evil laugh in Dynasty Warriors 7 scares the bejesus out of me still.

Leviathan.Kajii
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Kajii
By Leviathan.Kajii 2011-04-26 07:30:27
Link | Citer | R

The end of Metal Gear Solid 2 when you're naked inside Arsenal Gear and the AI is calling you with all this creepy ***about UFOs.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2011-04-26 07:40:34
Link | Citer | R

Seems OOT music if freaky, I actually found the Forest Temple music the worst!:

But then the first moment ever in gaming that scared me was when I was about 8 playing Full Throttle and encountered a dog surely from Hell itself:
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-04-26 07:50:29
Link | Citer | R

Loved this game, but damn was it scary back when I was as kid..
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2011-04-26 07:54:31
Link | Citer | R

Well I don't get scared off of stuff but Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 makes me jump when I play lol
 Sylph.Quiznor
user: Quiznor
By Sylph.Quiznor 2011-04-26 07:54:53
Link | Citer | R

That one part in Resident Evil 2 when you go into an interrogation room,pick up something off the table and a licker jumps through the 2 way mirror.Possibly the scariest moment in gaming ever
[+]
 Alexander.Francisco
Serveur: Alexander
user: Francisco
By Alexander.Francisco 2011-04-26 07:57:21
Link | Citer | R

I never played it, but the ending from "I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream"...

I saw the video of it here, actually... and I was disturbed by it for like a week. It just bothered me, like I felt horribly awful for that character.

That's usually the effect horror movies have on me. I don't get scared so much, as I wind up just feeling really bad for the victims. The worst I've ever felt for a person in a movie was the mom in Final Destination 2. She had to watch her only child get flattened by a pane of glass, then died a slow, torturous death by having an elevator door shut on her neck and slowly rip her head off - but only after living a agonizing final few days mourning the brutal death of her son, who was reduced to a pile of mushy goo.

That poor woman... :(
 Asura.Ina
Serveur: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2011-04-26 08:03:56
Link | Citer | R

Nothing beyond the first 2 minutes... for some reason when you see their faces i nearly shat myself the first time i saw this

Gilgamesh.Minusseven
Serveur: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2011-04-26 08:04:53
Link | Citer | R

Cba to find video but the manakin scene in the first condemned... holy ***
 Fenrir.Enternius
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Enternius
By Fenrir.Enternius 2011-04-26 08:25:42
Link | Citer | R

Not so much scary as genuinely creepy as hell, but

Ramuh.Leif
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Leif912
By Ramuh.Leif 2011-04-26 08:29:25
Link | Citer | R

Alexander.Francisco said:
I never played it, but the ending from "I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream"...

I saw the video of it here, actually... and I was disturbed by it for like a week. It just bothered me, like I felt horribly awful for that character.
I believe it was me who posted that here.

I had the same disturbance effect from first seeing it, just thinking about it while trying to sleep, "What the hell WAS that!?"

IHNMBIMS is a pretty creepy game on its own, those endings don't make it any better.
First Page 2 3 4 5