What Is The Answer To This Math Problem?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » What is the answer to this math problem?
What is the answer to this math problem?
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 11 12 13
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-04-12 17:47:03
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Sketchzter said:
Is anyone using the distributive law? If you use it, you get 2.

Even if it's written with the division sign or shown as a fraction, they both mean the same.

For example, 1/2 is 1 divided by two. In other words, 1 whole divided into two separate halves.

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
 Seraph.Gilhaven
Serveur: Seraph
user: Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-04-12 17:51:47
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Madmaxximist said:
I don't even know, we are all looking at it differently, while at the same time we are using the rules taught to us during our early school years. The way I see it, 2 and (9+3) are grouped together like 2(9+3) except there's no definite bracket around the whole thing so it's too ambiguous. If you saw x(9+3) in the denominator you would have to distribute, and that is where I am coming from. But it's really pointless to argue and start flaming each other over something like this, it's all in the interpretation.

I dont understand why ppl are looking at it differently tho. u do the brackets first which is 12...you then start left to right and solve accordingly. 48÷2 is 24 then 24x12 is 288. Why are ppl making this so hard lol??
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-12 18:05:45
Link | Citer | R

Seraph.Gilhaven said:

I dont understand why ppl are looking at it differently tho. u do the brackets first which is 12...you then start left to right and solve accordingly. 48÷2 is 24 then 24x12 is 288. Why are ppl making this so hard lol??

cause it's not written 48 ÷ 2 x (9+3) or (48÷2)(9+3) that's why.

many people view a/bc = a/(bc) NOT (a/b)c
 Cerberus.Rafleshia
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Rafleshia 2011-04-12 18:17:53
Link | Citer | R

I worked out 288 aswell!
 Cerberus.Valmur
user: Valmur
By Cerberus.Valmur 2011-04-12 18:19:17
Link | Citer | R

My head hurts :/

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2011-04-12 18:21:37
Link | Citer | R

I got 288 =3
 Quetzalcoatl.Sketchzter
By Quetzalcoatl.Sketchzter 2011-04-12 18:23:17
Link | Citer | R

If you look at b as a factor of the parentheses, then the first one is right.

But if you look at a/b as a factor of the parentheses, then the second one is right. The question is too vague to be answered correctly.

Which is pretty much what that picture shows. If there's a definitive law that states the second one is correct, show it to me.

Naturally I'd see b as a factor of the parentheses, which is why I answered 2. But meh, this question is meant to troll people.
 Ifrit.Jynxy
Serveur: Ifrit
user: Jynxy
By Ifrit.Jynxy 2011-04-12 18:24:11
Link | Citer | R

Um, i'm not a super mathematician or anything but is it possible the question is open ended? I.e can have 2 answers?

Edit: Similar to a square root question.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-04-12 18:26:05
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Sketchzter said:
If you look at b as a factor of the parentheses, then the first one is right.

But if you look at a/b as a factor of the parentheses, then the second one is right. The question is too vague to be answered correctly.

Which is pretty much what that picture shows. If there's a definitive law that states the second one is correct, show it to me.

Naturally I'd see b as a factor of the parentheses, which is why I answered 2. But meh, this question is meant to troll people.
Again, like I've been saying the entire time, lol.

It is not clear whether the (9+3) is in the numerator or the denominator, so neither answer can for sure be stated as correct.
 Cerberus.Rafleshia
By Cerberus.Rafleshia 2011-04-12 18:32:48
Link | Citer | R

English school, we were taught this.

B
Brackets first
O
Orders (ie Powers and Square Roots, etc.)
DM
Division and Multiplication (left-to-right)
AS
Addition and Subtraction (left-to-right)
 Seraph.Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-04-12 18:41:44
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:

Its IS written this way...your math teacher never told you that a number next to another number in brackets means to multiply? ie: 2(12) means 2x12.
48÷2(12) is exactly the same as 48÷2x12..it amazes me that ppl dont know this. I dont understand why you're adding brackets around stuff that never originally had em to begin with...(48÷2)(9+3)?
[+]
 Asura.Eldevine
Serveur: Asura
user: Eldevine
By Asura.Eldevine 2011-04-12 18:44:43
Link | Citer | R

U r supposed to remove the parenthesis before going forward, not just claculate whats inside them, thus in this case multiplication comes before division.

48/2(9+3)
=48/(18+6)
=48/24
=2

/endthread.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello
user: Tomasello
By Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello 2011-04-12 18:44:46
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Seraph.Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-04-12 18:45:13
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Rafleshia said:
English school, we were taught this.

B
Brackets first
O
Orders (ie Powers and Square Roots, etc.)
DM
Division and Multiplication (left-to-right)
AS
Addition and Subtraction (left-to-right)

exactly
 Alexander.Xgalahadx
Serveur: Alexander
user: xgalahadx
By Alexander.Xgalahadx 2011-04-12 18:47:25
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eldevine said:
U r supposed to remove the parenthesis before going forward, not just claculate whats inside them, thus in this case multiplication comes before division.

48/2(9+3)
=48/(18+6)
=48/24
=2

/endthread.
If this is true you would distribute the whole fraction. so it would be.

48/2(9+3)
216+72
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-12 18:47:38
Link | Citer | R

Seraph.Gilhaven said:
ie: 2(12) means 2x12.

it amazes me that ppl dont know this.

not a single person is debating that you would or would not multiply 2x12. What they are saying is how can you be positive

48÷2(9+3) does not equal:
 Seraph.Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-04-12 18:51:52
Link | Citer | R

This thread shoulda been called "What is the answer to this Psychology question?" ...maybe then we'd understand why ppl have to over complicate ***. Srsly..ppl are throwing in brackets wherever they feel...making up numerators/denominators..when all it's just 48....divided by 2....times 12. Period.
I'm willing to be that anyone who comes up with anything other than 288 is a guy who either A: needs to prove hes right even when hes wrong or B: Cant follow simple BODMAS instructions when its in front of him....or both.
 Seraph.Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-04-12 18:54:45
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:
ie: 2(12) means 2x12.

it amazes me that ppl dont know this.

not a single person is debating that you would or would not multiply 2x12. What they are saying is how can you be positive

48÷2(9+3) does not equal:

Well..Im positive that reading the original equation from left to right my first math question is 48÷2 and my 2nd question is then whats THAT answer multiplied by 12. Thats how BODMAS works...its universal.
 Alexander.Xgalahadx
By Alexander.Xgalahadx 2011-04-12 18:55:17
Link | Citer | R

Seraph.Gilhaven said:
B: Cant follow simple BODMAS instructions when its in front of him....or both.
I think this is the largest problem so many people think that Multiplication is > than Division in the order of operations. When in reality they are the same function and should be done left to right.
 Seraph.Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-04-12 18:56:24
Link | Citer | R

Alexander.Xgalahadx said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:
B: Cant follow simple BODMAS instructions when its in front of him....or both.
I think this is the largest problem so many people think that Multiplication is > than Division in the order of operations. When in reality they are the same function and have to be done left to right.

Now if everyone else could see it this way we'd all be a happy family :D
 Quetzalcoatl.Sketchzter
By Quetzalcoatl.Sketchzter 2011-04-12 18:58:24
Link | Citer | R

Nobody is making up numerators or denominators. When dealing with division, you're dealing with fractions.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-12 18:58:43
Link | Citer | R

Gilhaven, there are amazingly smart people with advanced degrees in both mathematics and whatever the hell else, with credentials to match debating and discussing this very problem in much more detail than us. To simply state that one answer is correct (your answer) and that there is no other possible way to view the same equation is narrow minded.

Xgalahadx, the questions is not whether or not you should multiply and divide at the same time based off PEMDAS/BODMAS etc it's arguing if implied multiplication takes priority over explicit multiplication and/or multiplication indicated by juxtaposition should be taken into consideration. It's been documented in multiple mathematical papers and books showing that it should take precedence.
 Seraph.Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-04-12 19:01:45
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Gilhaven, there are amazingly smart people with advanced degrees in both mathematics and whatever the hell else, with credentials to match debating and discussing this very problem in much more detail than us. To simply state that one answer is correct (your answer) and that there is no other possible way to view the same equation is narrow minded.

One can view the equation anyway they want...there will be only one correct answer..thats what makes math unique...it's universal...if the equation is done correctly there IS only one answer. 1+1 will always be 2.
 Seraph.Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-04-12 19:03:32
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:

Xgalahadx, the questions is not whether or not you should multiply and divide at the same time based off PEMDAS/BODMAS etc it's arguing if implied multiplication takes priority over explicit multiplication and/or multiplication indicated by juxtaposition should be taken into consideration.

Multiplication...regardless of what kind it is..is still multiplication. Grated I have no idea what implied, explicit or what have you is...its still plain old multiplication.
 Alexander.Xgalahadx
By Alexander.Xgalahadx 2011-04-12 19:03:58
Link | Citer | R

What is 48 × .5(9+3)?
[+]
 Seraph.Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-04-12 19:05:38
Link | Citer | R

What is 48 × .5(9+3)?

thats eeevil. lol
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-12 19:07:53
Link | Citer | R

Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:

Xgalahadx, the questions is not whether or not you should multiply and divide at the same time based off PEMDAS/BODMAS etc it's arguing if implied multiplication takes priority over explicit multiplication and/or multiplication indicated by juxtaposition should be taken into consideration.

Multiplication...regardless of what kind it is..is still multiplication. Grated I have no idea what implied, explicit or what have you is...its still plain old multiplication.

So are you saying all documentation that indicates the following is incorrect?:
Mathematical Reviews Database - Guide for Reviewers
http://www.ams.org/authors/guide-reviewers.html

that "multiplication indicated by juxtaposition is carried out before division." Thus, in general, for any variables a, b and c, we would have a/bc = a/(bc) (assuming, of course, that b and c are nonzero).

Keep in mind that's just 1 place where this convention has been used it's documented all over the place thus exposing the exploit of notation we're looking at in the equation.

What is 48 × .5(9+3)?

if only it had been written this way.
 Diabolos.Renavi
Serveur: Diabolos
user: Renavi
By Diabolos.Renavi 2011-04-12 19:08:55
Link | Citer | R

Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:

Its IS written this way...your math teacher never told you that a number next to another number in brackets means to multiply? ie: 2(12) means 2x12.
48÷2(12) is exactly the same as 48÷2x12..it amazes me that ppl dont know this. I dont understand why you're adding brackets around stuff that never originally had em to begin with...(48÷2)(9+3)?
If the problem can be rewritten as 48÷2x12, couldn't it also be rewritten with a 48 over 2x12? I can see it being either answer really. It's a stupid thing to argue over anyway..
 Asura.Eldevine
Serveur: Asura
user: Eldevine
By Asura.Eldevine 2011-04-12 19:09:59
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eldevine said:

48/2(9+3)
=48/(18+6)
=48/24
=2

/endthread.
If this is true you would distribute the whole fraction. so it would be.

48/2(9+3)
216+72

/facepalm
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 11 12 13