What Is The Answer To This Math Problem?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » What is the answer to this math problem?
What is the answer to this math problem?
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 11 12 13
 Seraph.Gilhaven
Serveur: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-04-12 17:00:53
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Straight forward that ÷ could mean the denominator for the entire problem. Still could go either way.

Except that's not how it was written. If it was meant to be a denominator then he would have written the whole denominator underneath(imo). "/" means to divide.. an "_" would indicate denominator...so if you read it out loud to your self its written as 48 divided by 2 times 12.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-04-12 17:00:58
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Dethard said:
Even if you attempt to convert it all to multiplication and division you must first deal with the brackets

48/2(9+3) = 48/2(12)

you still have a bracket to deal with before proceeding to multiplication and division, hence why I feel the multiplication implied by the brackets must be carried out first.

I may be wrong but I still believe the answer is 2
Unless (9+3) is specifically in the denominator, it is still going to be 288.

Even getting rid of (9+3) first, if it's in the numerator, you'd multiply it by 48 not by 2, to get 576/2

Again as written, it's ambiguous.

If it was clearly in the numerator, it could have been written much better and same goes for the denom.
 Seraph.Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-04-12 17:02:56
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:

And if you follow that the answer is and can only be 288.

If (9+3) is in the numerator, that is true. The way this question is asked leaves ambiguity as to whether it is in the numerator or denominator. If it's in the denom, then the answer is not 288, even following that.

True but this is how it was written...if the OP wanted to put it as the num/den then he would have done so....unless he failed.
You're assuming the way the question is written isn't intentionally left open in the way it is.

As it is written its straight forward... 48 divided by 2 multiplied by 12. Left to right like reading a book(an English book)...this is grade 6 math. When in doubt K.I.S.S it... Keep It Simple Stupid.

Also dude who's to say that the mathematical equation written the exact same would need to follow the rules of LEFT to RIGHT in a different language? i.e. a language that is not read left to right.. that's just 1 small part that makes this so interesting

Umm...math is universal regardless of language "dude". 1+1 is 2 regardless of what tongue I speak. Nice try tho.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-12 17:03:07
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Nevill said:
I really don't care what people think of what I have to say here. I have noone do impress. You are the one trying to belittle someone on the internet to make yourself look smart.

So I say again, shut the *** up, noone cares.

I'm trying to belittle you?

I did not make you come into this thread and post:

Quote:
Quite personally, in my line of work, I write my own equations to figure out what I need to know, so I could care less what the correct answer to this particular poorly written equation is.

You made it obvious you had absolutely no interest in the discussion but made a point to come in and tell us about your non-existent interest. But... I'm the bad guy.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-12 17:04:08
Link | Citer | R

Seraph.Gilhaven said:

Umm...math is universal regardless of language "dude". 1+1 is 2 regardless of what tongue I speak. Nice try tho.

Ok, prove it find the rule of operation in languages that do not read left to right. I never said I was correct I simply threw the question out there.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-04-12 17:04:19
Link | Citer | R

Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Straight forward that ÷ could mean the denominator for the entire problem. Still could go either way.

Except that's not how it was written. If it was meant to be a denominator then he would have written the whole denominator underneath(imo). "/" means to divide.. an "_" would indicate denominator...so if you read it out loud to your self its written as 48 divided by 2 times 12.
Well, if you are looking at the left of the ÷ as the "top" and the right of it as the "bottom", then it could still go either way, since
Quote:
"/" means to divide
Divide by 2(9+3)

can still be seen that way.

The only way to be written this shittily and still be clearly in the numerator is
(9+3)48÷2
 Bismarck.Nevill
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-04-12 17:04:59
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:
I really don't care what people think of what I have to say here. I have noone do impress. You are the one trying to belittle someone on the internet to make yourself look smart.

So I say again, shut the *** up, noone cares.

I'm trying to belittle you?

I did not make you come into this thread and post:

Quote:
Quite personally, in my line of work, I write my own equations to figure out what I need to know, so I could care less what the correct answer to this particular poorly written equation is.

You made it obvious you had absolutely no interest in the discussion but made a point to come in and tell us about your non-existent interest. But... I'm the bad guy.

No, you come in a thread and be a lolgrammarnazi to someone who you have never had one exchange of words with in this forum. That shows what kind of person you are man. Go get some self-esteem.
 Seraph.Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-04-12 17:05:11
Link | Citer | R

as a side note... how do I make the normal divide symbol on my keyboard? instead of the slash one?
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-04-12 17:07:29
Link | Citer | R

Hold ALT, hit 0247, let go of ALT.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-12 17:08:45
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Dethard said:
Even if you attempt to convert it all to multiplication and division you must first deal with the brackets

48/2(9+3) = 48/2(12)

you still have a bracket to deal with before proceeding to multiplication and division, hence why I feel the multiplication implied by the brackets must be carried out first.

I may be wrong but I still believe the answer is 2

The only problem with this is that the PEMDAS rules say to carry out what's inside the parentheses / brackets not what's outside. But Since it's an implied multiplication even though it's not in the actual laws of PEMDAS I think it would sure makes sense to carry it out first.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-12 17:13:19
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Nevill said:

No, you come in a thread and be a lolgrammarnazi to someone who you have never had one exchange of words with in this forum. That shows what kind of person you are man. Go get some self-esteem.

The point of my post was you felt the need to come in here and tell us how you don't give a ***about the discussion, you could have easily just not posted.

The add-on part was about a pet peeve many people have about the phrase "I could care less" trying to play it off as a typo or a pretending someone fixing this phrase is the same as a grammar Nazi is just incorrect. The fact is you more than likely physically say "I could care less" even though it's the exact opposite of what you're trying to communicate. It has nothing to do with correcting typical GN typos such as your vs you're.

You're really just sidetracking the nice conversation going on about the equation you don't have any interest in. I would love to get back on topic.
 Seraph.Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-04-12 17:14:44
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Hold ALT, hit 0247, let go of ALT.

tyvm
 Bismarck.Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-04-12 17:15:21
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:

The point of my post was you felt the need to come in here and tell us how you don't give a ***about the discussion, you could have easily just not posted.

The add-on part was about a pet peeve many people have about the phrase "I could care less" trying to play it off as a typo or a pretending someone fixing this phrase is the same as a grammar Nazi is just incorrect. The fact is you more than likely physically say "I could care less" even though it's the exact opposite of what you're trying to communicate. It has nothing to do with correcting typical GN typos such as your vs you're.

You're really just sidetracking the nice conversation going on about the equation you don't have any interest in. I would love to get back on topic.

I did add something though. I stated it was a poorly written equation. And, your correction is no different than a your vs. you're thing. So, yeah, grammar nazi fits pretty well.
 Seraph.Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-04-12 17:15:35
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Well, if you are looking at the left of the ÷ as the "top" and the right of it as the "bottom", then it could still go either way, since
Quote:
"/" means to divide
Divide by 2(9+3)

The only way to be written this shittily and still be clearly in the numerator is
(9+3)48÷2

Yes it can be seen that way..but it would be the wrong way. Taking the whole equation into account from left to right(once brackets are done) its still 48÷2 (step one) then multiplied by 12 (next step)...giving us 288.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-12 17:16:10
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Quote:
"/" means to divide
Divide by 2(9+3)

(9+3)48÷2

lol @ written this shittily, love it. I was going to say well we could write 48÷(2(9+3)) or (48÷2)(9+3) but that would not longer be written as piss poorly as the original equation.
 Seraph.Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-04-12 17:19:04
Link | Citer | R

48/2(9+3) was written this way prolly cuz he didnt know how to find the ÷ symbol...like me. If he did 48÷2(9+3) we'd have no problem...i hope. Or 48÷2x12. Either way I got a huge headache D:
 Bismarck.Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-04-12 17:20:16
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Quote:
"/" means to divide
Divide by 2(9+3)

(9+3)48÷2

lol @ written this shittily, love it. I was going to say well we could write 48÷(2(9+3)) or (48÷2)(9+3) but that would not longer be written as piss poorly as the original equation.

Replace 2 with x and set it equal to 288.

48/x(9+3)=288

x=?
 Bismarck.Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-04-12 17:21:35
Link | Citer | R

Seraph.Gilhaven said:
48/2(9+3) was written this way prolly cuz he didnt know how to find the ÷ symbol...like me. If he did 48÷2(9+3) we'd have no problem...i hope. Or 48÷2x12. Either way I got a huge headache D:

This exact equation was written this exact way and has been discussed on physics forums. That is where I got my above post from. It was written this way to troll the happy forum users.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-04-12 17:21:37
Link | Citer | R

Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Quote:
"/" means to divide
Divide by 2(9+3)

(9+3)48÷2

Yes it can be seen that way..but it would be the wrong way. Taking the whole equation into account from left to right(once brackets are done) its still 48÷2 (step one) then multiplied by 12 (next step)...giving us 288.
Again, assuming its in the numerator.

If its in the denom,

48/2(9+3)

Step 1
48/2 = 24

Step 2
24/(12)

Again, its ambiguous whether its in the numerator or demon as written. It can still go either way.
 Seraph.Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-04-12 17:21:44
Link | Citer | R

As a 2nd side note...this is one heck of a way to kill time waiting for firesday for trials.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-04-12 17:23:13
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Nevill said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Quote:
"/" means to divide
Divide by 2(9+3)

(9+3)48÷2

Replace 2 with x and set it equal to 288.

48/x(9+3)=288

x=?
Answer will still change depending on whether you count (9+3) in the numerator or denom.
Because in one you would multiply by (9+3) and in the other you'd divide by it.
 Fairy.Spence
Serveur: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2011-04-12 17:24:09
Link | Citer | R

Um, wasn't this sorted out on the first page?
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2011-04-12 17:24:46
Link | Citer | R

The Ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is...
[+]
 Bismarck.Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-04-12 17:25:03
Link | Citer | R

The way I was taught was to change it to 48/(9x +3x)=288.

Edited to look cleaner.
 Seraph.Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-04-12 17:27:12
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Quote:
"/" means to divide
Divide by 2(9+3)

(9+3)48÷2

Again, assuming its in the numerator.

If its in the denom,

48/2(9+3)

Step 1
48/2 = 24

Step 2
24/(12)

Again, its ambiguous whether its in the numerator or demon as written. It can still go either way.
Ya I s'pose if someone was to read that "/" as a fraction line and not a ÷ I think about 99% of ppl nowadays would see that as divide tho. Atleast the teacher marking my paper anyway.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-04-12 17:29:34
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Nevill said:

The way I was taught was to change it to 48/(9x +3x)=288.

Edited to look cleaner.
If (9+3 were in the numerator though, it'd be
(432 + 144)/x = 288

Again still depends on where the (9+3) is
 Asura.Solara
Serveur: Asura
user: solara
By Asura.Solara 2011-04-12 17:30:57
Link | Citer | R

Is there a forum where this hasn't been beaten to death?
 Seraph.Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2011-04-12 17:35:03
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Andypoole said:
All I want to know is the answer to this problem:

48÷2(9+3)

Let the rage commence.

WOW I just noticed it IS written with the ÷ sign....ugh. /facepalm
 Caitsith.Madmaxximist
Serveur: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Madmaxximist 2011-04-12 17:37:06
Link | Citer | R

I don't even know, we are all looking at it differently, while at the same time we are using the rules taught to us during our early school years. The way I see it, 2 and (9+3) are grouped together like 2(9+3) except there's no definite bracket around the whole thing so it's too ambiguous. If you saw x(9+3) in the denominator you would have to distribute, and that is where I am coming from. But it's really pointless to argue and start flaming each other over something like this, it's all in the interpretation.
 Quetzalcoatl.Sketchzter
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Sketchzter 2011-04-12 17:40:54
Link | Citer | R

Is anyone using the distributive law? If you use it, you get 2.

Even if it's written with the division sign or shown as a fraction, they both mean the same.

For example, 1/2 is 1 divided by two. In other words, 1 whole divided into two separate halves.
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 11 12 13