Capital Punishment
First Page 2 3 4
 Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-09 07:51:37
Link | Citer | R

What's your opinion on it AH?

Seeing as it's more costly to kill someone, than to keep them incarcerated for life, do you think that the death penalty should exist?
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2011-04-09 07:57:09
Link | Citer | R

I'm for the death penalty actually. Why put someone in prison for life with consecutive life sentences and let them enjoy the activities prisons now have... If you are straight guilty and are convicted to life, time to gtfo! Especially the ones who have brutally murdered a child or other person. But this is just my opinion.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-09 07:59:17
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
I'm for the death penalty actually. Why put someone in prison for life with consecutive life sentences and let them enjoy the activities prisons now have... If you are straight guilty and are convicted to life, time to gtfo! Especially the ones who have brutally murdered a child or other person. But this is just my opinion.

I can see the point of view here. I used to be avidly against the death penalty. More death after death seems a bit wasteful, but after realising how easy they have it in some prisons it has revised my opinion on it slightly.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2011-04-09 08:01:39
Link | Citer | R

I agree with you. Do the crime, do the time!! But somethings you deserve more than time. Murder, rape and such.
 Carbuncle.Lolserj
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Andras
By Carbuncle.Lolserj 2011-04-09 08:07:59
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:

Seeing as it's more costly to kill someone, than to keep them incarcerated for life, do you think that the death penalty should exist?

should get rid of the whole appealing process to make it cheap

and depending on what they did they should get the most brutal and painful death possible
[+]
 Unicorn.Moldtech
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2011-04-09 08:09:15
Link | Citer | R

I'm for it, for life setences for such major crimes as described above and would also like to stop paying room and board for those sentenced to death for 30 years after their conviction.

EDITED: for the piss me off factor. If their sentenced to death then kill the mofo. Quit wasting my tax dollars.
 Ramuh.Krizz
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-04-09 08:12:41
Link | Citer | R

I'm for it.
 Phoenix.Vael
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Vale
By Phoenix.Vael 2011-04-09 08:15:52
Link | Citer | R

Prison for a lifetime could also be a fate worse than death. I'm sure a good amount of the general, non-criminal population have even considered death as an option to get them out of a rut; imagine how criminals with life sentences feel.

Is there something in life you've always wanted to go back and change, perhaps make contact and amends with a person you had a falling out with? After a while you don't think about it, but the idea still pops into your head from time to time, even if months or years apart. Is that fair to say? Now, life in the free world always gives you that chance/hope that something could change - if you're imprisoned, little things that emulate what you do in the free world (play basketball from time to time, go to the gym, etc) take your mind off it just like they do outside, but in the end you'll never get to fulfill that hope ever. Regardless of the activities that are considered fun, it can still be far worse than death.

Also, I'm not sure on this but the cost of incarceration for life aren't always cheaper than the death penalties. I imagine that they are for the most part, but a lot of the reason might be because the death penalty is non existant in most states/provinces. That means more hoops to jump through in the areas where it is still active. If it was commonplace, chances are it wouldn't be too hard to have someone killed.

Serial killers / rapists are also sent to asylums for 'rehabilitation' in a lot of cases, and that's another cost to consider. Medical expenses, what have you.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2011-04-09 08:22:49
Link | Citer | R

I don't care how criminals feel. They shouldn't have done the crime.

That just makes it sound like they love being someone's ***. They don't deserve any activities, remember being a kid and you got in trouble and your parents grounded you by taking away your games or toys...well why can't we take it away from them? Some prisons allow them to be on the internet.

Bring back the stoning or public hanging if it's too expensive to use the lethal injection or electric chair.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2011-04-09 08:24:15
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
What's your opinion on it AH? Seeing as it's more costly to kill someone, than to keep them incarcerated for life, do you think that the death penalty should exist?

How is it more costly to put them to death? One quick injection (or whatever) and a pauper's funeral can hardly cost the same as a life of room and board and everything else prisons provide these days.

*edit* unless you are including the cost of trial, appeal and all that crap as well.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Corres
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2011-04-09 08:32:38
Link | Citer | R

back when being a teenager of course i was against the death penalty.
But the more i learned about some individuals who never seem to learn or even to change in a small way, it changed over time.
that said, i don't think it is right to take lives of humans. wether ot's a citizen or even the state. But hard things ask for hard consequences.

and for the "sting of death" it's a waste of money. if the execution goes wrong which seems to happen more often the execution can take up to 30 minutes. maybe the prisoner deserves to be feeling pain for so long but i don't like that.
a quick shot to the head. not a long procedure just do it and get it over with.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-09 08:49:00
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Shayala said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
What's your opinion on it AH? Seeing as it's more costly to kill someone, than to keep them incarcerated for life, do you think that the death penalty should exist?

How is it more costly to put them to death? One quick injection (or whatever) and a pauper's funeral can hardly cost the same as a life of room and board and everything else prisons provide these days.

*edit* unless you are including the cost of trial, appeal and all that crap as well.

I am, but without those things the death penalty cannot exist. There'd be too much room for error.
[+]
 Valefor.Ivaan
Serveur: Valefor
user: ivaan
By Valefor.Ivaan 2011-04-09 08:52:26
Link | Citer | R

i highly doubt it cost more to kill someone then to pay for there food, water, clothes, and housing, and all the guards in prison for a life sentence lol
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-09 08:55:31
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Ivaan said:
i highly doubt it cost more to kill someone then to pay for there food, water, clothes, and housing, and all the guards in prison for a life sentence lol

link

link
[+]
 Bismarck.Nevill
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-04-09 09:00:57
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Valefor.Ivaan said:

link

link

The cost of appeal after appeal is where the real cost comes in. However, it is a necessary process. I am for the death penalty, but I am against killing someone possibly innocent...
[+]
 Asura.Alexstaifter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Alexstaifter 2011-04-09 09:02:05
Link | Citer | R

If a Criminal murders people, killing him/her off seems like a light punishment on their end, life sentence with no chance of parole is a harsher punishment for a lot of people.

and saying that if someone gets that term should just be killed, what justice is it to the families of those who were killed and the lives destroyed if they just kill that person off.

Death is an escape from the suffering of life. Living a restricted life is torture, with chances to be used, and abused within walls you can never leave from, death being only a comfort to those suffering it.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-09 09:03:17
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Nevill said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Valefor.Ivaan said:

link

link

The cost of appeal after appeal is where the real cost comes in. However, it is a necessary process. I am for the death penalty, but I am against killing someone possibly innocent...

The appeal is a necessary part of the process, though.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nevill
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-04-09 09:03:43
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Valefor.Ivaan said:

link

link

The appeal is a necessary part of the process, though.

That's what I said.
 Phoenix.Vael
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Vale
By Phoenix.Vael 2011-04-09 09:15:54
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Alexstaifter said:
If a Criminal murders people, killing him/her off seems like a light punishment on their end, life sentence with no chance of parole is a harsher punishment for a lot of people. and saying that if someone gets that term should just be killed, what justice is it to the families of those who were killed and the lives destroyed if they just kill that person off. Death is an escape from the suffering of life. Living a restricted life is torture, with chances to be used, and abused within walls you can never leave from, death being only a comfort to those suffering it.

Said it much better than I did.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-09 09:44:29
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
Do you honestly believe anyone enjoys prison?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-09 09:47:10
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Lolserj said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

should get rid of the whole appealing process to make it cheap

and depending on what they did they should get the most brutal and painful death possible
You can't get rid of the appeals process as they have to make sure they have the right person... how fair would it be if you didn't do everything possible to make sure it was the right person?
As for the most brutal and painful death that is also impossible as, at least in America, there are laws against cruel and unusual punishment.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2011-04-09 09:48:04
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Gilgamesh.Alyria said:

I didn't say enjoy prison, I said enjoy activities in prison. There's a difference. Of course they don't enjoy prison but they enjoy the time they get to watch tv, be on the internet, play basketball, football, etc. If you're saying they don't enjoy having those activities, then why do ppl not in prison enjoy them then...
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-09 09:48:40
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Alyria said:

That just makes it sound like they love being someone's ***. They don't deserve any activities, remember being a kid and you got in trouble and your parents grounded you by taking away your games or toys...well why can't we take it away from them? Some prisons allow them to be on the internet.

Bring back the stoning or public hanging if it's too expensive to use the lethal injection or electric chair.
How does that make us any better than them?
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2011-04-09 09:49:17
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Gilgamesh.Alyria said:

We didn't commit crimes to be put in prison.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-09 09:50:29
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Gilgamesh.Alyria said:

I didn't say enjoy prison, I said enjoy activities in prison. There's a difference. Of course they don't enjoy prison but they enjoy the time they get to watch tv, be on the internet, play basketball, football, etc. If you're saying they don't enjoy having those activities, then why do ppl not in prison enjoy them then...
Many prisons do not have those activities... especially maximum security prisons where prisoners who commit murder are locked up... prison is nothing like it is on TV. Minimum security prisons are a different thing..
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-09 09:51:11
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Gilgamesh.Alyria said:

We didn't commit crimes to be put in prison.
So you think you have the right to take someones life because he took someone elses?
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
Serveur: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2011-04-09 09:53:21
Link | Citer | R

Prison is meant to rehabilitate, not punish.

Having said that, I'm for it in certain circumstances (serial killers, child killers, things of that nature). A lot of crimes aren't simply black and white though, and determining when to use it... Meh. Not to mention falsely accused, etc.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-09 09:54:17
Link | Citer | R

Personally I'm against capital punishment, I don't believe anyone has the right to take anyone else's life. I say lock them away and lose the key.... and this is coming from someone who has had someone very close to him taken away....
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2011-04-09 09:55:36
Link | Citer | R

Yes, what gave him right to kill a child or someone else? End the chain and execute the ones put on death row. There's over 3,000 ppl on death row and continues to grow. Instead of it being death row, its just a life sentence. They are getting overcrowded and taxes have to build more prisons. It's just my opinion.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-09 09:57:37
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
Yes, what gave him right to kill a child or someone else? End the chain and execute the ones put on death row. There's over 3,000 ppl on death row and continues to grow. Instead of it being death row, its just a life sentence. They are getting overcrowded and taxes have to build more prisons. It's just my opinion.
No one gave him/her the right... but no one gave you the right either.
and you just can't go kill people because you think they did it.. there is an exhaustive appeals process for a reason. We have to make sure its the right person.... how would you feel if you sentenced the wrong person to death?
First Page 2 3 4