Forum » FFXI » General » Pick up dynamis
Pick up dynamis
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Serveur: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-03-21 13:16:20
Link | Citer | R

Past week there's been lots of ppl shouting for ppl for pick up dyna.

ppl really do that? pick up dyna sounds so unorganized, like having a bunch of ppl with maybe half of them know what to do.

But then again, yesterday this group were shouting for ppl for dyna-bastok, today same group is shouting for ppl for dyna-sandy, so I'm guessing yesterdays "run" didnt go very well.

Any thoughts about this?
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Serveur: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-21 13:32:35
Link | Citer | R

It's just people who are too lazy to join a shell and earn their items. They want a quick solution that doesn't involve working through a "food chain" on highly sought items. Majority of pick up shouts on Garuda are for zones with excellent drops, like Xarcabard. Rather than join a shell and work your way up through a points system, people consider it easier to form pickup runs and farm the zones that way.

Seems the maths behind he efficiency of a pickup group compared to the efficiency of a shell that continuously spams those zones doesn't come into it.
 Asura.Moonglow
Serveur: Asura
user: Moonglow
By Asura.Moonglow 2009-03-21 13:35:24
Link | Citer | R

Zanno said:

ppl really do that?

But then again, yesterday this group were shouting for ppl for dyna-bastok, today same group is shouting for ppl for dyna-sandy, so I'm guessing yesterdays "run" didnt go very well.

Any thoughts about this?

Yes people do do it and people do join them, its to the point on Asura that it is messing with the regular scheduled Dynam LS's since the shout parties dont check web site to see what zones are scheduled.

If they shouted "yesterday" and again "today" they probally didnt get enough to do run being as you can only do dynam only once every 72 hrs.
 Bahamut.Etrayis
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-03-21 13:52:40
Link | Citer | R

Wooooodum said:
It's just people who are too lazy to join a shell and earn their items. They want a quick solution that doesn't involve working through a "food chain" on highly sought items. Majority of pick up shouts on Garuda are for zones with excellent drops, like Xarcabard. Rather than join a shell and work your way up through a points system, people consider it easier to form pickup runs and farm the zones that way.

Seems the maths behind he efficiency of a pickup group compared to the efficiency of a shell that continuously spams those zones doesn't come into it.

The "Points System" and the way most Dyna shells are run nearly made me quit this game. To think I had to deal with stuck up arrogant *** just to get a piece of armor really dug into me. I wouldn't deal with this kind of stuff in real life, why would I do it in a game? Hell I would love to do a pick up Dynamis just for the fun of it. I don't know about you guys but I do actually play this game to have fun.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Serveur: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-21 13:54:27
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

It's not a horrible idea, but the chance of error and foul play are much higher as opposed to being in LS which you have to apply and work for to stay in.

This is a great option for people who are just starting to get into endgame activities but have little to no experience, as well as a shot at getting some better gear in the process.

However, for this to work well rules must be announced to everyone loud and clear, along with strict enforcement from the leader/officers. There's no excuse for playing dumb in Dynamis, everyone should be on the same page at all times including use of Dynamis exclusive macros.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-21 14:01:22
Link | Citer | R

I don't see what points systems have to do with stuck up arrogant ***, or what relation a points system would play on people being like that.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-21 14:06:38

It's difficult to manage lotting rights for just about anything, especially Dynamis. Everyone has their own idea of what works and what doesn't. Everyone wants a chance for the good stuff, and there will typically always be competition for it. Unfortunately it seems a majority of endgame linkshells fall under the favoritism category and it turns into a "Watch so-and-so get more gear" LS.

In my opinion points just tend to complicate things and give too much opportunity for leaders and officers to bend and break rules to their favor so they reap all the rewards. If I ran an LS it would be a simple participation/on-time and ability to equip policy. Anyone who cannot equip said item or is frequently tardy, afk, or otherwise not contributing or helping loses right to lot or stay in LS depending on severity of course.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-21 14:11:16
Link | Citer | R

Artemicion said:
In my opinion points just tend to complicate things and give too much opportunity for leaders and officers to bend and break rules to their favor so they reap all the rewards.

If a leader is no good, they do this anyway. The system they use is irrelevant; if somebody is a cheat, they will cheat their members regardless of the way they handle drops.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-21 14:13:24

Wooooodum said:
If a leader is no good, they do this anyway. The system they use is irrelevant; if somebody is a cheat, they will cheat their members regardless of the system they use.

Aye, that is true. I was just saying points just make it easier for them to do so and even falsely justify themselves. With open/participation based lotting it's much easier to notice their antics and call them out on it.
 Bahamut.Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-03-21 14:19:49
Link | Citer | R

I find most of this issue comes from the text based communication entirely. All of the people I have actually talked with on Xbox chat or in real life I would trust with anything, while those I have only typed to, regardless of how long I've known them, I just can't bring myself to trust. I've also noticed that people have a real hard time betraying you once they know there's a person behind the character, which is almost impossible to portray in text.

Sorry that totally derailed off the OP.
 Carbuncle.Sterling
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2009-03-21 14:20:51
Link | Citer | R

I've only been with my Dyna shell for 4 months now. The points system was always irritating to me because those people with tons of 75 jobs that have been with the shell for a long time will always get the drops. For example, there is one person in particular that always has lots of points and 75 jobs, and therefore she always gets the Paladin drops while our main Paladin tank never gets them. This has been extremely frusterating for him and I can see why. I think thats a bit unfair, especially since she has never used her Paladin. At the same time, when my social decided to start a Dyna shell the purpose of the point system really started to make sense. Dyna seems to REALLY bring out the bad in people. Suddenly some of my good friends that I'd known for years were showing a greedy-manipulative side.

I've been waiting 4 months for just one drop to fall my way, but the fact is that by the time I'm high enough in points to get one, someone else with tons of points will probably have just leveled their WHM to 75 and I'll lose out. Its a frusterating thing, which is why some people just opt not to do it unless they've been with the shell for a long time.
 Fairy.Antigone
Serveur: Fairy
user: jarredpoe
By Fairy.Antigone 2009-03-21 14:27:35
Link | Citer | R

I just joined Tbest's new Dyna shell and I have to say he has been the best endgame leader Ive had to deal with, he has a simple points system and never wavers from it, and most important of all he is POLITE, he doesn't seem to ever talk down to anyone or play favorites(and in 4 runs we haven't lost a run yet).
But I can understand why people would rather deal with a pickup run then get a shell cause I've met a lot of LS leaders for endgame that seem to go out of there way to make everyone feel beneath them.
 Bahamut.Kelia
user: Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-03-21 14:42:37
Link | Citer | R

points systems aren't about how unique and special a player is, they're about what that player contributes. as such, many people dislike them.
 Fairy.Winterlight
Serveur: Fairy
By Fairy.Winterlight 2009-03-21 14:57:45
Link | Citer | R

Antigone said:
I just joined Tbest's new Dyna shell and I have to say he has been the best endgame leader Ive had to deal with, he has a simple points system and never wavers from it, and most important of all he is POLITE, he doesn't seem to ever talk down to anyone or play favorites(and in 4 runs we haven't lost a run yet).

:o That sounds good...

IMHO the wait for gear is the reason why ppl behave so badly. It is truly frustrating to stick with a shell for weeks/months and then watch the drops you want go to other ppl. However I've recently had some good drops come my way and I've been pretty happy with my shell.

I was previously with another shell where the favoritism/inner circle thing was rampant and that was very bad. The only solution for that is to leave. It also helps if every1 in the shell doesn't take everything too seriously. Makes the wait bearable. If you have ppl criticising your gear or reminding you of slipups then the runs become no fun.

Maybe if SE changed the wait time between runs to 48 or 24 hrs... /sigh... wishful thinking,

One thing I do notice is that the wait for RDM gear is HUGE in most shells but few ppl actually bring RDM to the runs. What's up with that? I understand if ppl are asked to change to a specific job for the sake of the run but with the number of ppl lotting you'd think every1 in the world has a capped RDM (which they don't) and to top it all off RDM drops seem to be ultra rare too. (How many SCH drops does everyone really need?) I wish SE would notice and do something about that...
 Valefor.Sketchkat
Serveur: Valefor
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2009-03-21 15:11:43
Link | Citer | R

I've cleared all the non-CoP dynamis areas with pick-up linkshells, and it's gone quite well overall. I've never been able to do the whole point thing because I can't guarantee a LS that I'd be available every time they go. Between college, work, etc, it's not feasible for me..but I still want to have at least a chance to have some cool armor and whatnot, so I join pick-up runs. Just because I have other things to take care of in RL doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to have a shot at some of the better items in the game.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-03-21 15:14:39
Link | Citer | R

Etrayis said:

The "Points System" and the way most Dyna shells are run nearly made me quit this game. To think I had to deal with stuck up arrogant *** just to get a piece of armor really dug into me. I wouldn't deal with this kind of stuff in real life, why would I do it in a game? Hell I would love to do a pick up Dynamis just for the fun of it. I don't know about you guys but I do actually play this game to have fun.

I've been in the same dyna ls for about a year, This is what I got so far, pretty much everything that isn't THF or NIN comes from free lot. I'm thinking you probably just happen to join a bad ls.

Besides, if you joing a pick up dyna run, you think you'd be the only one wanting to lot for a certain piece?
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-03-21 15:20:25
Link | Citer | R

Sterling said:
I've only been with my Dyna shell for 4 months now. The points system was always irritating to me because those people with tons of 75 jobs that have been with the shell for a long time will always get the drops. For example, there is one person in particular that always has lots of points and 75 jobs, and therefore she always gets the Paladin drops while our main Paladin tank never gets them. This has been extremely frusterating for him and I can see why. I think thats a bit unfair, especially since she has never used her Paladin. At the same time, when my social decided to start a Dyna shell the purpose of the point system really started to make sense. Dyna seems to REALLY bring out the bad in people. Suddenly some of my good friends that I'd known for years were showing a greedy-manipulative side.

I've been waiting 4 months for just one drop to fall my way, but the fact is that by the time I'm high enough in points to get one, someone else with tons of points will probably have just leveled their WHM to 75 and I'll lose out. Its a frusterating thing, which is why some people just opt not to do it unless they've been with the shell for a long time.

The way our ls does things is you get to chose 2 jobs, 1 for primary lot and 1 for secondary lots. lotting on secondary jobs cost twice as much as primary, lotting on a job that isnt primary or secondary cost 3 times of the primary lot. also if you lot on a job, you are required to willingly bring that job for dyna if asked.

Not saying this is the best way to do things, but it works really well for us.
 Bahamut.Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-03-21 15:46:19
Link | Citer | R

Zanno said:

I've been in the same dyna ls for about a year, This is what I got so far, pretty much everything that isn't THF or NIN comes from free lot. I'm thinking you probably just happen to join a bad ls.

Besides, if you joing a pick up dyna run, you think you'd be the only one wanting to lot for a certain piece?

I don't really want the lot on any piece. It would be nice, but all gear the I want I get from events with friends only. As I stated I would probably only do a pick up run for the hell of it. Now once I get RDM to 75, let the LS whoring begin.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-21 17:01:13
Link | Citer | R

What I adore about a balanced points system is it is the ultimate method of efficiently recording an individual's commitment to any given event. Every linkshell I'm in operates a points system where the oppurtunity to gain points is the same for every member. With accurate recordings, like my Dynamis shell has (we have every run's attendance clearly recorded in a database that all members can see at any moment in time. Our records extend back to 2007 when we started the shell right until the run we did last Tuesday), there is no room for sackholder manipulation or favouritism.

Our linkshell is running a superb and fair points system. People obtain points per run and that's it; there is no other way of getting points other than attending runs. If somebody attends X number of runs more, they will be higher on the list for drops; this is a given, and is expected of any points system. Yes, some of the people in my shell with the highest points are sackholders, but what does that mean? It doesn't mean that we're a corrupt shell that favours its sacks; it means that I have sackholders who more or less attend every run. It is irritating when everybody cries corruption because a sackholder is lotting a lot of drops; the only reason they're lotting a lot of drops is because they have the points to do so. Anyone attending the amount of runs my sackholders attend would be in the exact same position; status within the linkshells is completely irrelevant.

I have a member in my shell who has attended every single run our shell has ever done. Even I, the shell holder, have missed a couple; he has the most points but only Black Mage levelled. If he was to level another job, he'd most certainly be top for any drops from that job. Nobody in our linkshell would begrudge him the right to obtain these drops were he to level another job, though he does insist he never will. He really loves Black Mage!

I really don't want to sound arrogant, but our lotting system is a paragon of how a points system should roll and it's completely based on the runs you make and nothing else. I have received many complaints in the span of my linkshell but none of them have been about how we handle drops and attendance. Everyone thinks it's fair and everyone approves. That's why we're such a successful linkshell; because we're completely fair to everyone.

If you're only going to Dynamis to have fun and enjoy it, that's brilliant. It's great to hear that other people enjoy Dynamis as much as I do without focusing solely on what they'll be getting that run. It is important to understand, though, that whilst your laid back attitude means you're not bothered about drops, other people in your shell are. They are there for the drops and want whatever they can get; there is no right or wrong approach to being in a shell, neither is this a place to debate such a topic; it's just important to realise people who are focused on drops tend to get them faster because they "play the game", so to speak; the game in this case being a shell's lotting system, not Final Fantasy XI.

What I'm saying is points based on attendance (and only attendance, we don't even take performance into account) is the fairest system there is. When points from every run are clearly recorded and tallied for every member to say, not only can everyone see where they stand, there's also zero room for people to accuse the sackholders, or myself, of cheating our members out of drops.

It's like being paid by the hour at work. If I'm on a salary, I get paid a set amount each month providing I work the minimum amount of hours necessary to meet my contract. If I work extra (which I quite often do), I don't get paid for it. It's all in my salary. If I was paid by the hour, though, I get paid for every hour I work, meaning all of the time I put in is taken into consideration. A points by attendance system is like being paid by the hour.

It's understandable that people feel frustrated when somebody with lots more points than them gets a drop. Essentially, though, people have the points and they don't get points from nowhere (well, they shouldn't). It seems there are a lot of shells running points systems that aren't fair. From our near-perfect system we're running I just can't envision how people are manipulating a points by attendance system.

I'd love to hear how if anybody has some personal experiences.
 Bahamut.Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-03-21 17:02:27
Link | Citer | R

Man that is WAY too long to read. /autobash
 Garuda.Antipika
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-03-21 17:02:47
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
I have a member in my shell who has attended every single run our shell has ever done.

/reporting in

Wooooodum said:

Oh, and I nearly forgot to mention, the person I was talking about isn't a sackholder either. He's just a standard pearl and he could monopolise every drop if he levelled other jobs. I'd let him, too, sackholder or not, because those points didn't come out of thin air.

I'm in your dynamis, lotting your AF.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-21 17:04:22
Link | Citer | R

Etrayis said:
Man that is WAY too long to read. /autobash

That post was posted to hopefully help you perceive fair points systems for what they are; I encourage you to read it despite it's length. If not, then I feel you might deserve some of the things you were talking about with regards to being screwed over by corrupt linkshells.

Wooooodum said:
If you're only going to Dynamis to have fun and enjoy it, that's brilliant. It's great to hear that other people enjoy Dynamis as much as I do without focusing solely on what they'll be getting that run. It is important to understand, though, that whilst your laid back attitude means you're not bothered about drops, other people in your shell are. They are there for the drops and want whatever they can get; there is no right or wrong approach to being in a shell, neither is this a place to debate such a topic; it's just important to realise people who are focused on drops tend to get them faster because they "play the game", so to speak; the game in this case being a shell's lotting system, not Final Fantasy XI.

At least read that paragraph, as that was the part directed at you. :)

Oh, and I nearly forgot to mention, the person I was talking about isn't a sackholder either. He's just a standard pearl and he could monopolise every drop if he levelled other jobs. I'd let him, too, sackholder or not, because those points didn't come out of thin air.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-03-21 17:15:28
Link | Citer | R

Wooooodum said:
What I adore about a balanced points system is it is the ultimate method of efficiently recording an individual's commitment to any given event. Every linkshell I'm in operates a points system where the oppurtunity to gain points is the same for every member. With accurate recordings, like my Dynamis shell has (we have every run's attendance clearly recorded in a database that all members can see at any moment in time. Our records extend back to 2007 when we started the shell right until the run we did last Tuesday), there is no room for sackholder manipulation or favouritism.

Our linkshell is running a superb and fair points system. People obtain points per run and that's it; there is no other way of getting points other than attending runs. If somebody attends X number of runs more, they will be higher on the list for drops; this is a given, and is expected of any points system. Yes, some of the people in my shell with the highest points are sackholders, but what does that mean? It doesn't mean that we're a corrupt shell that favours its sacks; it means that I have sackholders who more or less attend every run. It is irritating when everybody cries corruption because a sackholder is lotting a lot of drops; the only reason they're lotting a lot of drops is because they have the points to do so. Anyone attending the amount of runs my sackholders attend would be in the exact same position; status within the linkshells is completely irrelevant.

I have a member in my shell who has attended every single run our shell has ever done. Even I, the shell holder, have missed a couple; he has the most points but only Black Mage levelled. If he was to level another job, he'd most certainly be top for any drops from that job. Nobody in our linkshell would begrudge him the right to obtain these drops were he to level another job, though he does insist he never will. He really loves Black Mage!

I really don't want to sound arrogant, but our lotting system is a paragon of how a points system should roll and it's completely based on the runs you make and nothing else. I have received many complaints in the span of my linkshell but none of them have been about how we handle drops and attendance. Everyone thinks it's fair and everyone approves. That's why we're such a successful linkshell; because we're completely fair to everyone.

What I'm saying is points based on attendance (and only attendance, we don't even take performance into account) is the fairest system there is. When points from every run are clearly recorded and tallied for every member to say, not only can everyone see where they stand, there's also zero room for people to accuse the sackholders, or myself, of cheating our members out of drops.

It's like being paid by the hour at work. If I'm on a salary, I get paid a set amount each month providing I work the minimum amount of hours necessary to meet my contract. If I work extra (which I quite often do), I don't get paid for it. It's all in my salary. If I was paid by the hour, though, I get paid for every hour I work, meaning all of the time I put in is taken into consideration. A points by attendance system is like being paid by the hour.

It's understandable that people feel frustrated when somebody with lots more points than them gets a drop. Essentially, though, people have the points and they don't get points from nowhere (well, they shouldn't). It seems there are a lot of shells running points systems that aren't fair. From our near-perfect system we're running I just can't envision how people are manipulating a points by attendance system.

I'd love to hear how if anybody has some personal experiences.

The dyna shell im in have pretty much exact the same point system. some zones gives more points than others, ofcourse based on how hard they are and how much time a run usually takes in that zone. But it's all attendance based. It really works great.

Want this or that gear? Well all you have to do is show up on the runs, if you're not dedicated enough to ettend runs 2 times per week, you probably dont deserve the gear over someone who is dedicated and attend. simple as that, and very fair.