Magic Critical Hits

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Magic Critical Hits
Magic Critical Hits

| Edit  | Link | Citer | R

So, according to wiki, this is a random +10 MAB...

Has anyone seen if this effects COR's Quick Draw, seeing as QD is magic DMG? >.>
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Serveur: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-18 20:53:02
Link | Citer | R

Well, no... Because there's nothing COR can equip with this effect on.
 Asura.Reublucian
Serveur: Asura
user:
By Asura.Reublucian 2009-03-18 20:55:29
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Is Corsair expensive to level?
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Serveur: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-03-18 20:56:45
Link | Citer | R

Wise Strap, Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooodum. All jobs :)
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-18 20:57:20
Link | Citer | R

About as expensive as any other job, barring the Dice. They're the real killer, but not all of them are really necessary. Most Corsairs who have them all would tell you it's just for "completion's sake". Don't think I've ever used the DRG or PLD rolls, nor can I really think of a situation where I'd use them over other rolls.

Wise Strap? Forgot about that. I'll give it a try sometime and let you know what I find out!
 Asura.Reublucian
Serveur: Asura
user:
By Asura.Reublucian 2009-03-18 21:01:45

Well what would be more fun corsair or ranger?!

Reublucian said:
Well what would be more fun corsair or ranger?!

Corsair is much more fun. More busy, more interesting, more capabilities.

Total, from NPC, its about 600k for dice. LV30-AF you can use Noct +1 with Emp Pin and Bounding Boots, really...

/RNG all the way~ I admit I to /NIN sometimes though. lol

If you play like I did as COR/RNG, you'll burn 99 bullets per 9k EXP.

Lets see... Wizard's Roll and my QD gear = 266 QD.

Wise Strap is random bonus... so this may take a while, if it works. -_-

I wish Bluestreak Gyugyuroon would hurry up and pop. :(

Mobs I'm QD'ing to death are Qiqirn Archaeologists btw. lol

EDIT: Hmm... just got a random 283. :s

Ice Shot is averaging 266 DMG.

Wind Shot is averaging 257, then theres an occasional 283+.

266 Ice Shot x<too many to count> then like 3 280-290+ on same roll #...

Needs moar testing!
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-19 10:00:39
Link | Citer | R

Well, this intrigued me, so I decided to test it a little. Nothing really that major. I'm choosing Forest Hares because there's so many of them and I'm going to use Wind Cards because Rabbits are weak to Wind.

Here's how it went, our of 49 Wind Shots (so far, I got bored):

304: 38 Shots
357: 6 Shots

Which is 44/49 covered. The other five are resists I'm too embarresed to list...

Anyway, this is only a brief test, but I'm going to go ahead and assume the 357 is because of the Wise Strap. Given the circumstances, I can't think of any other reason for the randomly higher Wind Shots. Because of the Rabbit's level, my accuracy is most certainly at 95%, so it wouldn't make sense to not be hitting the cap only 6 times out of 49. Didn't have any rolls up either, it's easier to replicate no rolls than the same number every time (or with / without Commodore Tricorne bonus)

Can't prove anything yet, but when I become unbored again I'll do it some more.
 Fenrir.Omnitank
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Omnitank
By Fenrir.Omnitank 2009-03-19 11:02:10
Link | Citer | R

You cast a spell. ***goes KA-BOOM.

Bingo~ Xtra damage.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Serveur: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-19 12:03:35

Resistance rates I think is the primary factor in varying damage on QD. Best I've done is 366 Wind Shot on Kirin (which I am assuming is unresisted) and other times it'll hit him for like 43 damage.

Magic Critical Hit rate is a pretty new concept due to it's recent introduction as a given status on new gear. However, I'm sure many BLMs (and even CORs maybe) notice a higher than normal spike damage that goes beyond that of an unresisted spell/QD prior to any announcement of gear holding this bonus stat. This is what I could only describe as: a critical hit spell. The only real downside is it's never mentioned in the chat log aside from unusually high damage which we'd have to take note on ourselves.

Much more testing will be needed until we can figure out the base % of critical spell strikes let alone what attributes affect it other than the new given status itself via Wise Grip & Witch Sash.

I definitely think more testing of Quick Draw w/ Wise Strap should be done, there isn't really a strap to use with Quick Draw, so any boost is great, even a random one, imo. >.>

While killing Qiqirn last night, I solo'd some without Wise Strap on, and never hit for over 266 DMG. With Wise Strap on, I hit 283+ 1-2 times a mob.

Oh, and I solo'd like 5 of *** before I left. >_> Quick Draw only so...lots of cards used... lol
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-19 13:40:56

My only gripe is that QD is 100% magical based... Yet doesn't MB.
I understand that could make it overpowered since we got the double charge thing going for us, but at the very least make the enfeebling boost longer in duration ;/
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-03-19 13:47:26
Link | Citer | R

From my understanding QD also doesn't give any TP to the mob, so it seems like a fair trade.

Also, do the elemental grips apply to QD? If they do, use those for high resist mobs and wise for mobs your generally at cap ?
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-19 13:50:09

They do! I know AGI is the only "modifier" for QD accuracy but those elemental grips do apply to the QD of the associated element since they are magical based. The only downside is you'd lose all your TP (assuming you'd be shooting in the first place).
 Fairy.Aenemy
Serveur: Fairy
user: Aenemy
By Fairy.Aenemy 2009-03-19 13:51:31
Link | Citer | R

I am very intrigued by this info. reminds me of the day i truly saw what a COR could do when I loaned a COR friend my Novio and HQ staves and he ripped Jailer of Fort to pieces. This is like the icing on the cake lol.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-19 13:54:59

Yeah, Elemental staves (especially HQ) have a significant boost to accuracy and damage to QD. Unfortunately switching them out means you can't shoot for TP so you're better off going /whm for side healing support and status erasing benefits.

My question though is would Warlock's Roll give any accuracy to QD? It's bizarre how something that is completely magical based has so many side rules and exceptions ie: Doesn't give TP, AGI accuracy modifier, Doesn't MB, Enhances debuffs of given element, etc.

So COR can equip the Magic ACC straps? Item search doesn't even list them if I search for straps/grips COR can equip. ><

COR Strap/Grip Search

Doesn't make sense, since the Elemental Grips say "All Jobs".
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-19 13:58:00

Probably just a bug that needs tweeking out. But I have confirmed (via borrowing from a BLM friend), the elemental accuracy grips do indeed enhance accuracy of QD for the corresponding element. This is particularly useful for Light Shot imo.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-03-19 13:59:35
Link | Citer | R

All jobs can equip Elemental ACC grips.

I think AGI was given as the acc mod for QD for a couple reasons.
1. Agi is already the acc mod for things shot from a gun
2. SE is throwing Cor a bone since they are already carrying many AGI gears.
3. Cor has access to much more AGI gears than say INT.

If your in a situation where QD is the only damage you are doing and tp isn't an issue, tech BLM sub would be the best for the natrual MAB trait.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-19 14:14:06

The biggest question on my mind which unfortunately I was never able to test was:
Does Uggalepih Pendant function if you have no natural base MP? Technically it gives 20 MP by itself, so swapping to it would be 0/20, and thus <50% MP. If anyone knows the answer to this I'd appreciate it. Would be nice to know if it this works for jobs that can benefit from MAB but don't have natural MP, such as NIN & COR.

If it doesn't that's nothing 1 MP merit or 1 piece of "Converts HP to MP" gear can't fix >.>

Artemicion said:
The biggest question on my mind which unfortunately I was never able to test was:
Does Uggalepih Pendant function if you have no natural base MP? Technically it gives 20 MP by itself, so swapping to it would be 0/20, and thus <50% MP. If anyone knows the answer to this I'd appreciate it. Would be nice to know if it this works for jobs that can benefit from MAB but don't have natural MP, such as NIN & COR.

From Wiki:

Has been tested with Quick Draw, and the latent is active at Zero MP, 0%. You do not need 1+ MP for the latent to work.

EDIT: Also remember like if you have 1 MP merit... and put on Uggly Pendant, you're raising your Max MP to 30, but you're gonna be 10/30MP because equiping an MP item doesn't restore your MP. :D
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-03-19 14:19:43
Link | Citer | R

If you have no natural mp, then the mp from the uggy itself will cause it to activate.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-19 14:20:27

Great news. Time to save up for one now ;_;
I was unsure because sometimes things are fickle and require you to have "natural" or a base MP that doesn't come from gear alone. But glad it's cleared up and doesn't need natural MP to function.

Yeah I've gotta save up for one or try to kill the NM here soon...

Prefer the NM. -_- Already need to come up with 14M in gear.