Forum » FFXI » General » Drop Rate vs. WS Kill/Magic Kill
Drop Rate vs. WS Kill/Magic Kill
First Page 2
 Quetzalcoatl.Vintaru
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Vintaru 2009-03-14 00:47:45
Link | Citer | R

Does anybody seem to notice any difference between drop rates when it comes to Weapon Skill kills and and Magic kills?

It seems as if the average drop rate is decreased when a mob is killed by either of these. Whenever I just hack the remaining 5% of a mobs life down, it does seem to have a better drop rate. This is what I've observed for years, so is it just coincidence?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-03-14 00:52:25
Link | Citer | R

That would be pretty annoying for me if it's true, given that my main jobs are all mages >_< On a related note, I've heard drop rates are nerfed if you kill mobs with -ga spells?
 Quetzalcoatl.Vintaru
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Vintaru 2009-03-14 00:55:57
Link | Citer | R

Back when I first started the game, my only job was BLM. I wanted to unlock SMN so as a LV30 BLM I went to blow up some Leeches. I prob killed over 50 of those things and never got that damn ruby. A melee friend came to help and he got it to drop on his second kill....
 Bahamut.Avenged
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Satanas
By Bahamut.Avenged 2009-03-14 01:03:36
Link | Citer | R

Yeah i believe the same thing. My cop static and I were farming Gold Keys for a mission. We had been there around 3 hours and had 3 keys. Needed one more. The first 3 came rather quick, but the 4th took 1 1/2 hr plus. We were like screw this, and a party member suggested we kill without WS (we had 2 SAM). They said okay and we got the drop that kill.
 Fairy.Basilo
Serveur: Fairy
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2009-03-14 01:06:40
Link | Citer | R

I think thats just your unfortunate experiences. Very lasy Seiryu and Suzaku my ls did i overkill with am2 full money drops both, week before dynamis Sandy 3x 100 coin drops off 1 shotted stats by me also. I'm also nearly positive that aga spell dont reduce drop rates partly because having them doesnt really give blm any more advantage over farming compared to an aoe ws.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ziggz
user: Ziggz
By Bahamut.Ziggz 2009-03-14 01:34:45
Link | Citer | R

bart. where is your avatar from? i stare at it on all of your posts...
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-14 04:28:20
Link | Citer | R

Ziggz said:

It's marvelous, isn't it? ^^

Anyways, on topic, I've never noticed any difference in drops based on what type of final blow it was that put it down. I've never tested it empirically, mind you, but my static trio has killed mobs pretty much any way you can kill them, from Ancient Magic, to Weapon Skills, Adventuring Fellows finishing them off, to even having them die from that last tick of poison, and I've never noticed any kind of pattern. About the only thing I've ever seen effect drop rate is our THF's Treasure Hunter, but tbh, in my opinion, the jury's still out on whether that has a beneficial effect on NM drops. We get tons more of the standard ***from regular mobs, though...
 Odin.Blazza
Serveur: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-14 06:00:52
Link | Citer | R

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Ziggz said:

It's marvelous, isn't it? ^^

It's from a JP Nintendo DS commercial, but for some reason it reminds me of the band Outkast.
 Midgardsormr.Bleedingwulf
Serveur: Midgardsormr
By Midgardsormr.Bleedingwulf 2009-03-14 08:12:33
Link | Citer | R

This is something I have stress very much when I kill nms.
Ga spells do lower the drop rate as do AoE WS.
From my experience killing with a WS or anytype of magic usually procted me nothing to drop from the NM at all. Besides NMs that always drop one thing or the other(mee degi etc).
 Fairy.Seraphita
user: rogueking
By Fairy.Seraphita 2009-03-14 08:31:55
Link | Citer | R

The manner of the killing blow has NOTHING to do with drop rates. This has been confirmed by SE on several occasions.
[+]
 Cerberus.Oric
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Oric
By Cerberus.Oric 2009-03-14 08:43:43
Link | Citer | R

In my experience I have never noticed a difference between using WS, killing with magic, letting THF get killing blow etc... And to be honest I really don't care, I just kill the NM and hope for the best. Sure TH helps alot of the time, but you still can't rely on it.

Think about it this way... for example, try /random until getting a number from 100 to 150. You may get it the 1st try, maybe 2nd, maybe 15th, or maybe even 100th! You never know, it's all CHANCE.

I always just try and think of it as a 50/50 chance, either I get it or I don't. that way it doesn't go to my head, and I don't get annoyed with camping, or aggitated and usually not disappointed...

Dunno, maybe i'm just weird like that, but it works for me! lol XD
 Gilgamesh.Yuudye
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Yuudye
By Gilgamesh.Yuudye 2009-03-14 09:29:39
Link | Citer | R

I don't know about killing mobs with a WS but I've always seen that the faster I killed a mob, be it WS or magic the higher the drop rate. I used to duo farm manticores and every time we did a light/darkness, IE. Killed it in under 20 secs we'd always get the drops we wanted.

So... Higher emnity higher droprate?
 Bahamut.Sobius
user: Sobius
By Bahamut.Sobius 2009-03-14 09:45:04
Link | Citer | R

I have noticed particularly in Dynamis that when a mob is killed by a BLM, it often drops nothing. No coins, no AF, nothing.

Watch for yourself sometime and see for yourself, but that has been my experience in 5 years of playing.

And the -aga killing thing, agree on that too.
 Seraph.Tarstark
Serveur: Seraph
user: Tarstark
By Seraph.Tarstark 2009-03-14 10:12:29
Link | Citer | R

I'll be sure to let my dyna shell know that the 25 relic, 5 100 dyna-xarc run we did had nothing to do with the multiple blm kills.
(Prob at least 10 of those relics, and every single 100 was from a blm kill... for that matter, if what you said is true, how would your shell ever get a 100 coin?){The statues do count as mobs}

And yeah.. SE has said, the ONLY thing that affects drop rate is whether or not there is a thf, other than that, its just random.

Things like this make me worried that there'll be another stupid Tachi: Koki wave to hit servers where idiotic sams believe that SE put TH into Tachi: Koki. Was so damn annyoing to watch people say, wait, let me kill shot with Koki!. *Nothing drops*. "It didn't drop because someone didn't believe! Who didn't believe? You ruined the TH!" (.. idiots)
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-03-14 10:14:26
Link | Citer | R

Seraphita said:
The manner of the killing blow has NOTHING to do with drop rates. This has been confirmed by SE on several occasions.

SE staffs know nothing about the game mechanics! We, the players are much better placed to judge such matter. Face it, SE employees (especially the ones working on this game) know nothing about Final Fantasy XI. So don't believe their ignorant statements during official conferences. Guessing the unguessable based on personal experiences is a lot more accurate.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-03-14 11:03:47
Link | Citer | R

Vintaru said:
Back when I first started the game, my only job was BLM. I wanted to unlock SMN so as a LV30 BLM I went to blow up some Leeches. I prob killed over 50 of those things and never got that damn ruby. A melee friend came to help and he got it to drop on his second kill....

Drop rate on the ruby is pathetic, probably <1%. Your friend just got lucky, I know a friend of mine got her ruby while farming blood as a DRG but it was after about 80 kills.

Basilo said:
I think thats just your unfortunate experiences. Very lasy Seiryu and Suzaku my ls did i overkill with am2 full money drops both, week before dynamis Sandy 3x 100 coin drops off 1 shotted stats by me also. I'm also nearly positive that aga spell dont reduce drop rates partly because having them doesnt really give blm any more advantage over farming compared to an aoe ws.

The reasoning I heard would probably mean aoe ws nerfs it too, it was so high level players couldn't train all the money mobs and aoe 1shot them, which could make farming difficult for low-level players.

Seraphita said:

I figured this would be true, but it never hurts to ask ^^
 Remora.Caligo
Serveur: Remora
user: Caligo
By Remora.Caligo 2009-03-14 11:16:36
Link | Citer | R

I really doubt it affects it.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Serveur: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-14 12:23:46
Link | Citer | R

Speculation and coincidence. Zero proof. Unfortunately it's something you just can't prove, no matter how many times you kill a monster. Isn't PlaceboTreasure Hunter a ***...
 Ifrit.Haseyo
Serveur: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-03-14 12:41:08
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

I killed VE with one Dancing Edge and got the hairpin. Was 1/1 (for a friend)
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-14 12:41:51
Link | Citer | R

Haseyo said:

Definitely means Weapon Skill increases drop rate then.
 Siren.Enternius
Serveur: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-03-14 12:49:12
Link | Citer | R

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooodum said:

He has a point. I mean you have irrefutable proof.
 Cerberus.Oric
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Oric
By Cerberus.Oric 2009-03-14 13:05:38
Link | Citer | R

Wooooodum said:
Haseyo said:

Wait a minute... killed VE with one DE? As in one-shoted it? THAT'S IT!
We must all one-shot NMs to increase drop rate! Wow I'm glad we finally cleared that up...

I guess that means I don't need to carry my 4-leaf mandy bud with me anymore... /shrugs
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-14 13:07:30
Link | Citer | R

Oric said:
I guess that means I don't need to carry my 4-leaf mandy bud with me anymore... /shrugs

Enjoy your dinner!
 Asura.Zorax
Serveur: Asura
user: Zorax
By Asura.Zorax 2009-03-14 13:16:42
Link | Citer | R

Programming different drop rates for different kind of kills for every mob would be pretty annoying and useless.
 Pandemonium.Luignata
Serveur: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2009-03-14 13:20:53
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

-ga seems to be the only thing that I personally have noticed affects drops. I could -ga to death 10 mobs at once and get nothing.
 Bahamut.Ziggz
user: Ziggz
By Bahamut.Ziggz 2009-03-14 14:50:30
Link | Citer | R

as a bst i've killed a lot of monsters by myself, and i think i can safely say that the drop rate is not effected by anyway how you kill the mob. killing a mob for a drop is just a dice roll. you have a % chance of receiving a drop depending on the mob. just because you kill it one way and it happens to drop means nothing. this is how rolling dice works. the more you roll them, the more likely you are to get the outcome you are looking for. the more you get the outcome in a row, the less likely it is going to happen again. i think the game was programmed so that every mob has a certain % chance to drop their respective items... just because you aren't getting the drop, doesn't mean the other person farming the same crap isn't getting anything...
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-03-14 19:21:19
Link | Citer | R

Luignata said:
-ga seems to be the only thing that I personally have noticed affects drops. I could -ga to death 10 mobs at once and get nothing.

You could kill them one by one also and not get a drop too... basic statistics. Barring taking SE's word for it, the only way to know for sure would require a large sample size in order to get reasonably accurate statistics. Given that I have better things to do and SE has apparently stated that TH is the only thing that affects drops, I'm not inclined to volunteer for said test :P
 Lakshmi.Prinnysmash
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Prinnysmash 2009-03-14 19:55:42
Link | Citer | R

Vintaru said:

As a THF with TH2 I went well over 0/1000 before I got that ruby. So... it's random. And I still don't have SMN... lol. Just my 2 gil.
 Ifrit.Kawasaki
Serveur: Ifrit
user: kawasaki
By Ifrit.Kawasaki 2009-03-14 20:03:01
Link | Citer | R

whenever I farm when I aoe weaponskill it seems like I get very low amounts of loot, and when I single kill the drop rate does seem higher.
First Page 2